• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks

Spire

III
BRoomer
Song of healing didnt quite sound like the song of healing tho.
I noticed that, but remember, they are two entirely different songs learned in two entirely different worlds and used for two entirely different purpose.
Even if I did it would be a compliment ;) but my bad.

How's the train gameplay anyway? As good as the ship or...not so much?
Better than the ship. It's very similar, and even though you don't have as much freedom, it feels more adequate.

S

smash brawl player 99021

I noticed that, but remember, they are two entirely different songs learned in two entirely different worlds and used for two entirely different purpose.

Better than the ship. It's very similar, and even though you don't have as much freedom, it feels more adequate.
So you just go on a set path then right? Yes...that'd make more sense :p
Are there cannons and whatnot?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yes, there's a canon, and while there's no claw to grab items, you can carry passengers and trade materials (like lumber, fish, etc).

S

smash brawl player 99021

Carry Passengers eh? When did this become Banjo Kazooie? (the bad version...like Nuts and Bolts. the 64 version was good. I loved that game. Really fun. One of my first games actually. Long parentheses...) Man with the carry passengers and controling the Phantom dude I bet there's a great load of puzzles.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The passengers thing isn't at all like Nuts & Bolts, really. It is a little annoying that you have to do everything "correctly", though -- they get mad if you get hit, don't blow your horn at signs, don't speed up/slow down at certain signs, brake by shifting to reverse (akin to braking a car by switching on the emergency brake, it's likely pretty bad for the train), and stop exactly at the right time at stations.

Basically it's like following the rules of the road except quite inane and useless since no one else besides evil trains are on the road.

Nevertheless, it adds for some slightly interesting side quests.

The Phantom controlling does, in fact, make for some interesting puzzles, too.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh, the Tower of Spirits had some of the hardest puzzles in the franchise. Like MM difficulty.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
MM is defintiatly much harder. While ST have hard ones, MM still tops it xD Try going to snow temple w/o a guide :3 The Tower of Spirits is just lulzy for me

Spire

III
BRoomer
Look at this shield:

This is the design of the main shield in Spirit Tracks for those of you who don't recognize it. There's something very peculiar about it. There is no Triforce. Every single shield (minus the mirror, wooden, and original shields from LoZ/AoL with a cross how stupid) that Link has used across the entire series has featured a Triforce on it. The Triforce is seen on a total of three objects from what I recall: Zelda's dress,
the Antique Shield
, and the maybe the banners in Hyrule Castle. Outside of Hyrule Castle, the influence of the Triforce and that of old Hyrule seems to be pretty absent. The denizens of the new land (which is never referred to as Hyrule, rather as The Kingdom) seem to have brought with them their own cultural differences and developed their own traditions. The rule of the Triforce has not yet spread. Perhaps if the Hyrulean influence does spread throughout the land, then it may pave way for the Triforce and all that jib jab.

Oh man, that just brought up a big theory idea... gonna have to write that down now.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Glad this thread got a sticky...Umm it kinda has a Pyramid thing at the top. Looks somewhat like a Triforce I guess...Are there different sheilds in this one too?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Glad this thread got a sticky...Umm it kinda has a Pyramid thing at the top. Looks somewhat like a Triforce I guess...Are there different sheilds in this one too?
Well it resembles a certain something something you see everytime you beat a temple boss. Just play the game.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
My friend just gave me a gift, and it was Spirit Tracks! I'm so excited to play it right now.

Any suggestions before I play it? (IE, anything I should be prepared for, should I play any other games before this?)

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Thanks. I've played Wind Waker so I should be okay.

It's just sometimes they link things together and it's fun to notice that.

Spire

III
BRoomer
ST stands alone as a solid Zelda game, through and through. You don't need to play any games prior to it to appreciate it. If I were to suggest two games for a Zelda newcomer to play, they'd be OoT and ST. I think ST is the definitive top-down Zelda experience.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I'm really liking ST so far, it's pretty darn fun.

I just beat the ice boss, that reminded me a bit of the first boss from PH, except harder and more complex. I wish you could move with the Whirlwind, that gets annoying. Man, these dark floors in the Tower are pretty dang obnoxious. I'm on the 10th I think. Gotta go get that boss key later.

Shawk

Smash Rookie
Meh... not the best Zelda game ever. It was pretty easy until you started getting towards the end of the game and I was disappointed at how short it was. =/ I wish they'd have added another dungeon or two. I also didn't like how little they showed Cole and Bryne in the middle of the game. I think they should have added them in there somehow.. The game was still pretty fun though.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Anyone else notice the Back to the Future sparks that the train leaves after going through a warp gate?

@ Shawk - well, to each his own. In general, it has been better received by fans than Phantom Hourglass was, but I can understand your frustration with the shortness of content. I beat it faster than I have ever a Zelda game before, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. But I can agree with Byrne and Cole - having them in at least a little more could have helped the story out. Though, being accompanied by Zelda boosts the story so high that it's hard to argue with much anyways.

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else notice the Back to the Future sparks that the train leaves after going through a warp gate?

@ Shawk - well, to each his own. In general, it has been better received by fans than Phantom Hourglass was, but I can understand your frustration with the shortness of content. I beat it faster than I have ever a Zelda game before, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. But I can agree with Byrne and Cole - having them in at least a little more could have helped the story out. Though, being accompanied by Zelda boosts the story so high that it's hard to argue with much anyways.
Is it really that short? I thought it was about as long as Phantom Hourglass main-quest wise. Also, the storys pretty basic. It gives us everything we need to know right off the bat, then we just work for that goal throughout the game with a few plot-twists towards the end. Its a short-sweet story, because the concept is good enough IMO, and Zelda being there just tops it off.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Haha, I did. My friend (who has much more free time than I do) had gotten the ability to warp before I had, and was describing the process to me and specifically mentioned that it was complete with the Back to the Future sparks after you go through.

As for the length in comparison to Phantom Hourglass, it's hard for me to remember exactly how long Phantom Hourglass was. I barely remember the game at all, in all actuality. One thing I can say, though, is that I beat all of Phantom Hourglass's dungeons in 20 minutes or less. Aside from the first dungeon, all of Spirit Tracks' dungeons have taken me at least that long. The overall length as calculated by the number of dungeons is probably equivalent, but in overall decent gameplay time (and without the backtracking through the Temple of the Ocean King), Spirit Tracks certainly comes out ahead.

I honestly cannot remember how long it took me to beat Phantom Hourglass...but I think it might've been a week. Granted, it's been almost two weeks since I got Spirit Tracks and I'm close to the endgame (
final visit to the Tower of Spirits for the compass to find the demon train
), but it's not really a fair comparison since I had much more free time when I was playing Phantom Hourglass -- though I've been playing Spirit Tracks in almost every moment of free time I've had, excluding yesterday.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Woo! finally got Spirit Tracks! I've just gone through that "Lost Forest" or what have you. So far so good. But Zelda seems like a dumb blonde bimbo. Spending too much time with Peach D:

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I'm playing Spirit Tracks too, right now. Got it for Christmas.

Is it just me, or is the first dungeon too easy?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The first dungeon is basically Phantom Hourglass difficulty. I.e., ridiculously easy.

It gets much more difficult, trust me.

S

smash brawl player 99021

:sonic: Yeah, too easy.
I've just beat the Ice Temple. Man that one was a doozy.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It almost gets Majora's Mask difficult, which means it's worth every single penny you spent.
Yeah, especially at the end of the Tower of Spirits and at the final boss.

By the way, this is a little bit random, but...

[collapse=Late-game spoilers:]Pac-man with trains was amazing.[/collapse]

S

smash brawl player 99021

I'm on the ocean temple now. @_@
Doesn't look too easy :/

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
FRAAAAAZ :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yeah, I'm trying to beat Fraaz. Using the touch screen to move is screwing up my movement, ugh.

EDIT: Beat him.

S

smash brawl player 99021

I hate how those suicide trains are everywhere+faster than your train. It takes clever manuvering alone to get past an encounter.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
What do I do in the room with the big Z on the third visit to the Tower of Spirits?

EDIT: Figured it out. Now fighting MINIBOSS :O

S

smash brawl player 99021

That guy was easy :/

Most of the bosses aren't too difficult IMO. I'm on my fourth trip to the Spirit Tower now. I have to say though when I saw I was going to the
ocean temple again I thought it would've been the same one from PH. My nightmares we re-born for a moment

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Almost at the second dungeon and loving it so far. ST makes me realize just how much of a half-***** cash-in PH was. ST is a truly great game with some actual effort put behind it. Not to mention that the seeing Zelda as an actual character is nice (though I don't like how they used her fear of rats as a cop-out to immobilize her while she's in the suit, rather than coming up with something more original). Now maybe we'll see Link as a real character next time...

S

smash brawl player 99021

Zelda is dumb in this game. AHHH I have a huge *** sword and there's rats with rabies running around! onoeees!

I'm about to get to the top of the spirit tower. That dungeon is harrrrrd though.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Zelda is dumb... I thought she was freaking crazy when she freaked out about mice, after Link defeated those other monsters, and especially when she was wearing heavy armor and carrying a sword as big as her own body!

I'm glad this game actually is challenging, though, and not too easy like TP, and not difficult the wrong way like in PH (example: Temple of the Ocean King).

S

smash brawl player 99021

Zelda is dumb in this game. AHHH I have a huge *** sword and there's rats with rabies running around! onoeees!

I'm about to get to the top of the spirit tower. That dungeon is harrrrrd though.
Zelda is dumb... I thought she was freaking crazy when she freaked out about mice, after Link defeated those other monsters, and especially when she was wearing heavy armor and carrying a sword as big as her own body!

I'm glad this game actually is challenging, though, and not too easy like TP, and not difficult the wrong way like in PH (example: Temple of the Ocean King).
Thank you...I agree with this kid.
I'm headed to the Sand Realm now. Taking a break. I started at Christmas and I'm almost done (?) I think...

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Zelda's fear of rats was just away for the level designers to make Zelda in the armor immobilized. From a game design standpoint, the rats are a great idea. From a writing standpoint, the rats are a terrible idea.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm headed to the Sand Realm now. Taking a break. I started at Christmas and I'm almost done (?) I think...
You are fairly close to being done, but I did personally find the endgame to be longer than I expected (this was a good thing). Though you're not exactly into the endgame until after you've beaten the Sand Temple.

Zelda's fear of rats was just away for the level designers to make Zelda in the armor immobilized. From a game design standpoint, the rats are a great idea. From a writing standpoint, the rats are a terrible idea.
I agree. While every time this occurred in the game, I had the exact same complaints as you guys, looking back on it I completely see the logic gameplay-wise. And sure, Zelda has a sword and big armor, but if you see a spider on the wall, it's not really going to hurt you, is it? Yet many people would kill it. Fears are scarcely logical. She still looks kind of stupid doing it and even seeing the logic I will rage at her doing this, but they had something in mind when they implemented it.

Also, it's hard to complain about Spirit Tracks when you look back to Zelda in past games where she's an obnoxious damsel in distress. I actually found Spirit Tracks Zelda to be pretty likeable, whereas in A Link to the Past she pisses you off right from the get-go by spamming her opening speech until you find her. Because after the fifth time you're still not sure where she's being held captive and what she wants you to do about it.

Top Bottom