• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks

Spire

III
BRoomer
You are fairly close to being done, but I did personally find the endgame to be longer than I expected (this was a good thing). Though you're not exactly into the endgame until after you've beaten the Sand Temple.
When I first reached the Ocean Realm and saw the inaccessible Pyramid, I was convinced that it was a secret, final dungeon where I would end up facing Ganon. I was happily proved wrong.

I agree. While every time this occurred in the game, I had the exact same complaints as you guys, looking back on it I completely see the logic gameplay-wise. And sure, Zelda has a sword and big armor, but if you see a spider on the wall, it's not really going to hurt you, is it? Yet many people would kill it. Fears are scarcely logical. She still looks kind of stupid doing it and even seeing the logic I will rage at her doing this, but they had something in mind when they implemented it.

Also, it's hard to complain about Spirit Tracks when you look back to Zelda in past games where she's an obnoxious damsel in distress. I actually found Spirit Tracks Zelda to be pretty likeable, whereas in A Link to the Past she pisses you off right from the get-go by spamming her opening speech until you find her. Because after the fifth time you're still not sure where she's being held captive and what she wants you to do about it.
I actually loved that Zelda was afraid of rats. Every time I was like, "ugh, she's such a girl," but that's just it. It wasn't, "ugh, she's such a princess," it's that she felt like the kind of girl I've known, and because of that, I felt that I could relate to her well. It really fleshed her out as human. She wasn't this wise, prophetic princess, she was a young teenage girl that happened to be a princess named Zelda.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Meh...I honestly thought it would've been better if it kind of crawled around on her suit (or in it:p) And
those 3 "Difficult" trials were hardly a challenge. I got a little confused on the Twisting Tunnels part but other than that, easy going. Some of the minigames are good...the Goron Target Range is really fun. I almost think there's an alternate route or something towards the end where the track splits but I don't know.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Meh...I honestly thought it would've been better if it kind of crawled around on her suit (or in it:p) And
those 3 "Difficult" trials were hardly a challenge. I got a little confused on the Twisting Tunnels part but other than that, easy going. Some of the minigames are good...the Goron Target Range is really fun. I almost think there's an alternate route or something towards the end where the track splits but I don't know.
Yeah, there is a longer route. You have to score over 1000 points to unlock that path though. The Goron Target Range is an amazing minigame though. Totally inspired by Twilight Princess and just as good, if not better than the minigames in it.

AuraStUrm

Smash Journeyman
Just beat this today. A VAST improvement over PH. It controls better, the story is better, it's more challenging - EVERYTHING is better. Everything. Also, the final boss is completely epic, though it will destroy your touch screen. :p

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
****ING ****.

I'VE SPENT TWENTY ****ING MINUTES ON THIS **** SPIRIT PIPES SEGMENT IN THE SAND SANCTUARY TRYING TO PLAY THE GOD**** LOKOMO SONG TO GET TO THE SAND TEMPLE AND THE GOD**** LOKOMO KEEPS TELLING ME I'M FAILING WHEN l NAILED THAT **** PERFECTLY THREE TIMES AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE **** I'M DOING WRONG. ****.

WHAT DO I DO?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Just found out that I'm already almost done with Spirit Tracks. This is a pretty big disappointment. It just felt so short. I wasn't expecting a twenty-hour game or anything, but I've only put about five hours into it...the puzzles have never been hard and the bosses have been meh-worthy at best. I'm hoping the last two tower or spirit levels and the fire dungeon are harder than the rest of the game.

So far, I've found it to be far too easy. Which is a real shame too, after all the hype I heard about how hard it is.

@Khold: Can't help ya. If you're 100% sure you're doing it right, just go to gamefaqs and check if you're doing aything wrong.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Just found out that I'm already almost done with Spirit Tracks. This is a pretty big disappointment. It just felt so short. I wasn't expecting a twenty-hour game or anything, but I've only put about five hours into it...the puzzles have never been hard and the bosses have been meh-worthy at best. I'm hoping the last two tower or spirit levels and the fire dungeon are harder than the rest of the game.

So far, I've found it to be far too easy. Which is a real shame too, after all the hype I heard about how hard it is.

@Khold: Can't help ya. If you're 100% sure you're doing it right, just go to gamefaqs and check if you're doing aything wrong.
You haven't done the Fire Temple yet? You're not "almost done". Hang in there buddy, it gets really good.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Yeah you're not like...close to being done. Don't forget the side-quests and extras you can do before/after you beat the game.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I must say, I'm surprised you're disappointed in Spirit Tracks. Quite frankly, I see it as a vast improvement over Phantom Hourglass, and the new concept of using Zelda was interesting: You can never find more satisfaction in whipping her

If you're up to the Fire Temple, then you've still got some distance to cover.
What's that desert doing in the Ocean Realm? Looks suspcious to me..

Anyway, play on! Trust me, when you finish the game, you will have no regrets.

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
*SQUEAL*

JUST GOT THIS!

im gonna start it, but are there any "missables" liek once you miss it, you cante get it without starting a new game?

i want to go through without a walkthrough, but dont want to miss anything, what is there to miss so i can make sure to get it when i play.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
*SQUEAL*

JUST GOT THIS!

im gonna start it, but are there any "missables" liek once you miss it, you cante get it without starting a new game?

i want to go through without a walkthrough, but dont want to miss anything, what is there to miss so i can make sure to get it when i play.
As far as I know, I don't think Spirit Tracks contains any 'missables'. Most of the Zelda games were designed well enough so that there weren't any 'missables'. I'm not completely sure, but I'm certain :)

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
As far as I know, I don't think Spirit Tracks contains any 'missables'. Most of the Zelda games were designed well enough so that there weren't any 'missables'. I'm not completely sure, but I'm certain :)
XD NOT AGAIN

i asked this same question when wind waker came out, got this same answer, had to start a new game because i didnt get the camera before some boss battles....

there definetly were missables in wind waker

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
XD NOT AGAIN

i asked this same question when wind waker came out, got this same answer, had to start a new game because i didnt get the camera before some boss battles....

there definetly were missables in wind waker
Really? :laugh:

I haven't played Wind Waker, but I have played Spirit Tracks and finished it. If I have missed something, it definitely did not detract the overall gameplay experience and the progression of the plot.

Kind regards,
olimarfan

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No, there aren't any missables in the game, I can say this for certain.

Spire

III
BRoomer
No, there aren't any missables in the game, I can say this for certain.
Yeah, everything you might consider a missable is integrated into the story somehow. And on top of that, there are still numerous side quests.

QUESTION:
Anyone figure out how to get into the Pirate Fortress or is that impossible? The men of that yaddayaddacant'rememberitsname village were all captured and taken prisoner there, so I still assume you can rescue them. Though, the one quest to find a husband for the woman in the village kind of says otherwise.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
QUESTION:
Anyone figure out how to get into the Pirate Fortress or is that impossible? The men of that yaddayaddacant'rememberitsname village were all captured and taken prisoner there, so I still assume you can rescue them. Though, the one quest to find a husband for the woman in the village kind of says otherwise.
Yeah, I did.
I can't remember which sidequest it was...but there was some sidequest which I fulfilled and got a Force Gem which opened up a set of tracks leading to the Pirate Fortress. I believe it was bringing ice to the woman in that village in the Ocean Realm who sells fish.

Yup, I just looked it up, and that's it.

However, I think you only save one guy from the fortress.

Realmz

Smash Apprentice

In my opinion, it started getting harder at the ocean temple. Also yes, at the point you seem to be at, theres still plenty more after that. Have you finished it yet though? If so, I hope you'll let us know your thoughts on it =)

The game was about a good 15 hours for me with no sidequests. I think its about as long as Phantom Hourglass in that regard, but at least it has said sidequests to add more time in.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I've just finished the Forest temple and praying to the gods of Hyrule that I don't have to do the same dungeon over and over again like Phantom Hourglass

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
You have to do the Spirit Tower 5 times I believe.

Walking up the stairs is kind of a pain.

At least there are actually other temples this time.

I'm so glad they integrated Zelda into the game play this time and not just the ending. I was waiting for that to happen since OoT.

The game was good. I felt it got progressively excessively long-winded and more and more half-***** as I continued on. The ending was good though. All in all definitely not in my top 5 zelda games, but it was alright. I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
You have to do the Spirit Tower 5 times I believe.

Walking up the stairs is kind of a pain.

At least there are actually other temples this time.

I'm so glad they integrated Zelda into the game play this time and not just the ending. I was waiting for that to happen since OoT.

The game was good. I felt it got progressively excessively long-winded and more and more half-***** as I continued on. The ending was good though. All in all definitely not in my top 5 zelda games, but it was alright. I'd give it a 6 out of 10.
6/10? That's a harsh score! I would argue that walking up the stairs to Spirit Tower is much less time-consuming than re-doing every level in PH.

I do agree that there were times where Spirit Tracks bored me, and perhaps they could have tightened the plot a bit more. I was surprised that Link decided to dump a boat for a train, but overall, it was a good game with a good plot, good music and good gameplay.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
6/10 in the grand scheme of things. It's by far not an 9, imo (i.e. almost a perfect game). Actually I'd say 6.5. The story was pretty original for a zelda game.

The reason why I gave it a 6 was because, amongst other things, you had to redo the spirit tower so many times, not because of the stairs. I was just whining about that.

I didn't like that the ability to warp came kind of late in the game. I thought the puzzles were far too easy and often times I would fight bosses without taking more than 1 heart of damage. A lot of the puzzles were just repetitive tasks, I felt. Like when you have to go find the 3 orbs and blow the horn. I know it's a minute task, but those kinds of tasks kept showing up time and time again. And why do they insist on using those face statues for almost every puzzle?

Like I said I really enjoyed the story/characters. The train mechanic did get slightly aggravating when I was in a rush, but not nearly as bad as people seem to have deemed it to be before playing the game. I didn't like that for the Force Gem side quests you have to keep going back and forth over and over. Also, sometimes the camera would just freeze up on me when the three battle tanks came up to you and they'd ruin my fish or vase or whatever and I had to start it all over again.

It was a LOT better than Phantom Hourglass, don't get me wrong. Some things I don't know why they didn't change though -- Do any of you guys really enjoy doing the same temple/building 5 times or so? Is it just me that finds it tedious?

The ending I thought was as good as it could have been. I thought it was kind of easy, but it was pretty fun/intense. Byrne was a cool character.

I think my main problem with Nintendo these days is that they're focusing all their attention on the ~15 year olds and so everything is always just too... easy to get.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
And why do they insist on using those face statues for almost every puzzle?
The face statues were only for the sanctuary puzzles, for getting to the respective Lokomo for each temple.

Also, sometimes the camera would just freeze up on me when the three battle tanks came up to you and they'd ruin my fish or vase or whatever and I had to start it all over again.
I did find that the tanks lagged the game a little bit.

Some things I don't know why they didn't change though -- Do any of you guys really enjoy doing the same temple/building 5 times or so? Is it just me that finds it tedious?
They did change it, though...in Phantom Hourglass you literally had to replay the entire thing every time.

In Spirit Tracks, it's all in the same BUILDING, but each floor is different. By the end, I found the puzzles to be very challenging and rewarding. They did all have a similar aspect to them, but I didn't really find it to be that annoying.

The ending I thought was as good as it could have been. I thought it was kind of easy,
Wait...you found the final boss easy?

Do I just suck at video games? It wasn't like, impossible, but I found it to be pretty difficult.

I think my main problem with Nintendo these days is that they're focusing all their attention on the ~15 year olds and so everything is always just too... easy to get.
I actually thought Spirit Tracks did a very good job with the difficulty level -- not the most difficult Zelda ever, but leagues above Phantom Hourglass.

And I think the ~15 year olds are exactly the kind of crowd that Nintendo's not catering to anymore (15-25 is pretty much the average age for the "hardcore" gamers). It's the ~10 and below and the older casual gamers who they're catering more to.

Of course, everyone has their own opinion, so I'm not trying toargue with your opinion, but I just wanted to point out a few places where I disagreed.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
That's cool, I understand that not many people share my thoughts on the recent zelda games. I think I'm kind of an old geezer cynic when it comes to these things.

Even though the Spirit Tower was infinitely better than the Ocean King's Temple, it was still the same enemies and puzzles to work through. Up the stairs, collect the tears, get a phantom, go look for keys, switch to another phantom, repeat. I don't know. I just felt like it was the same thing over and over (but not in the same sense as PH, where it was literally the same thing.).

I did find Malladus quite easy. The only part I found somewhat difficult was on top of the train, when Cole is shooting ghost rats at you, but that was just because I hadn't become accustomed to his patterns yet. I didn't have to use a Continue once in the entire game.

I really enjoyed the final boss fight with Malladus himself. It was reminiscent of OoT, which I liked, without being extremely overt about it (like, for instance, ALL of Twilight Princess where nearly EVERYTHING was a reference to OoT). It wasn't difficult, but it was definitely fun. I believe the Water Temple Boss did more damage to me than the entire Final Boss trilogy.

It was REALLY sweet to be able to control/play as Zelda, I thought. I loved the way they worked death and such in to the game. That, again, reminded me of Majora's Mask without being too in your face about it. Since OoT's ending I had wanted Zelda to have more influence in the game, seeing as how she's kind of awesome. Being able to switch to her in the last fight was awesome, and having to sing with her was really cool too. I liked that she actually had a struggle and did things about it this time instead of just hiding (granted, she was dead. Not really much else to be scared about.) The whole rat thing was irritating some times. I think the rats hurt me more than any of the other enemies.

But again, INFINITELY better than Phantom Hourglass. Godddd I rue the day I considered buying that game. What a horrible horrible waste of money/time. I watched the second half of the game on youtube because I couldn't stand it anymore, and the ending was easily the most heart breaking part about it (and not in a good way). Nintendo copped themselves out by practically re-making Link's Awakening only much much worse.

I don't know, again maybe it's just my personal view, but from what I see it seems like good Nintendo games are sooo rare these days. Anything I get enjoyment out of is either a port of a PS2 game or something on the virtual console from the SNES, N64 or sometimes GCN.

When a game like "Style Savvy" is rated as the number 2 game out for wii, I lose what faith I have left in the new gamer generation. I haven't played a Mario or Zelda game I truly loved since the N64 versions back in the late 90s, bar Wind Waker. It just seems like they're not putting in the effort anymore now that the A-lister games are such household names that kids will "love anything with the name Mario in it".

Anyway, likewise I'm not trying to argue. This is just something I've felt strongly about for a couple of years. I like to think things are finally getting better, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

S

smash brawl player 99021

That's cool, I understand that not many people share my thoughts on the recent zelda games. I think I'm kind of an old geezer cynic when it comes to these things.

Even though the Spirit Tower was infinitely better than the Ocean King's Temple, it was still the same enemies and puzzles to work through. Up the stairs, collect the tears, get a phantom, go look for keys, switch to another phantom, repeat. I don't know. I just felt like it was the same thing over and over (but not in the same sense as PH, where it was literally the same thing.).

I did find Malladus quite easy. The only part I found somewhat difficult was on top of the train, when Cole is shooting ghost rats at you, but that was just because I hadn't become accustomed to his patterns yet. I didn't have to use a Continue once in the entire game.

I really enjoyed the final boss fight with Malladus himself. It was reminiscent of OoT, which I liked, without being extremely overt about it (like, for instance, ALL of Twilight Princess where nearly EVERYTHING was a reference to OoT). It wasn't difficult, but it was definitely fun. I believe the Water Temple Boss did more damage to me than the entire Final Boss trilogy.

It was REALLY sweet to be able to control/play as Zelda, I thought. I loved the way they worked death and such in to the game. That, again, reminded me of Majora's Mask without being too in your face about it. Since OoT's ending I had wanted Zelda to have more influence in the game, seeing as how she's kind of awesome. Being able to switch to her in the last fight was awesome, and having to sing with her was really cool too. I liked that she actually had a struggle and did things about it this time instead of just hiding (granted, she was dead. Not really much else to be scared about.) The whole rat thing was irritating some times. I think the rats hurt me more than any of the other enemies.

But again, INFINITELY better than Phantom Hourglass. Godddd I rue the day I considered buying that game. What a horrible horrible waste of money/time. I watched the second half of the game on youtube because I couldn't stand it anymore, and the ending was easily the most heart breaking part about it (and not in a good way). Nintendo copped themselves out by practically re-making Link's Awakening only much much worse.

I don't know, again maybe it's just my personal view, but from what I see it seems like good Nintendo games are sooo rare these days. Anything I get enjoyment out of is either a port of a PS2 game or something on the virtual console from the SNES, N64 or sometimes GCN.

When a game like "Style Savvy" is rated as the number 2 game out for wii, I lose what faith I have left in the new gamer generation. I haven't played a Mario or Zelda game I truly loved since the N64 versions back in the late 90s, bar Wind Waker. It just seems like they're not putting in the effort anymore now that the A-lister games are such household names that kids will "love anything with the name Mario in it".

Anyway, likewise I'm not trying to argue. This is just something I've felt strongly about for a couple of years. I like to think things are finally getting better, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
(I agree about the whole laggy tanks thing)

Yes, this game was much better imo. The Train driving/traveling was a little more...hmm. It kept my more interested than the ship gameplay did. Especially with the "HEY DRIVE BETTER YOU *******". And fish and whatnot. Not having to plow through the same temple again and again was much better too. And the puzzles were much more challenging this time. Those sand ones (with the blocks and whatnot) took me a good while >_<

8/10

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Don't mind me

Neutral Aerial --- Sky Attack --- Pidgeot’s wings glow brightly as he rushes forward a Battlefield platform’s distance at an extreme speed, about the same as Sonic’s dash. If he comes into contact with a foe, they take 10% and great knockback, able to kill at percentages of 100%+. This stales extremely quick, so it can usually be used sparingly, but at high altitudes it is easily Pidgeot’s best aerial killing move. Low lag on either end. Any loose feathers also glow, but deal half the damage and knockback.

Forward Aerial --- Wind Lance --- Pidgeot swings his left wing at the air in front of him, as if to slice it with a sword. This deals 7% and low-mid knockback, so it isn’t as good of a killing move as Sky Attack. However, it generates a noticeable wind effect, a “sword” of wind that pierces through things like leaves, feathers, fire, ect. Basically any lingering disjointed hitbox. This pushes foes back a great deal, about half of Battlefield. It is somewhat weaker on the end. Low lag.

Backward Aerial --- Tailwind --- Pidgeot spreads his wings wider and spreads his tail feathers, creating a trailing wind effect. The tailwind is as tall as Kirby and trails behind Pidgeot for two seconds, while the wind will only linger for one whole second. There is noticeable lag on the end and you can’t make another tailwind until the previous one fades entirely. Foes in the middle of the wind when it is summoned are blown immediately backwards to the end of the wind at the speed of a FLUDD, while foes trying to penetrate the tailwind will find themselves blown back weakly unless they find a way to get into the wind via spatial mitigation (i.e. teleportation). This blows things like leaves and feathers twice as powerfully, and sucks them in instead of preventing entry.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
So my dad just got this game for me as an after-Christmas surprise.

I'm not sure what to expect, but I hope this is good.

I might start it tonight, considering Bowser's Inside Story isn't being cooperative (I just need ONE rare drop to... drop).

...forget that, I'm opening the package now.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Getting the game next month. So excited! :)

Haven't played a LoZ game in a while.

Omegapaste

Smash Cadet
I had alot of trouble getting the locomo song of the 3rd sanctuary, my DS doesnt have a great mic sensor. Lol I had been blowing for an hour. My dad was watching tv during that and said: ''I think the dust on your ds is gone already'' >.<

Spire

III
BRoomer
I really hope that this game beats Ph
It already has in almost every way. In the month that it's been out, it has beat PH's sales entirely. Critically, it has been acclaimed at about the same level that PH was. It seems to really boil down to, "well they're pretty equal, but which one do you like better," when it comes to the critics. Some like IGN who gave PH a 9/10 gave ST a 9.3/10, while Gamespot gave ST an 8.5/10, lower than their 9/10 score for PH.

I personally think ST beats PH in most ways and was pleased with both the learning curve and the growing interest in the land over the course of the game.

In retrospect, the regions visited recall Majora's Mask a lot. Forest/swamp, then snow, then ocean, then fire mountain/canyon. Also, the fact that the world was split between four realms based around a central hub (Tower of Spirits/Clock Town) further adds to their similarities.

What's more interesting is how PH's Great Sea sports many similarities to Termina, while ST takes place in a new Hyrule, yet PH plays more like a classic Zelda game (based in Hyrule) while ST plays oddly like MM. Because these are made in 64-bit graphics, I've set up the analogies:

OoT : MM :: PH : ST
... and
OoT/MM > TP :: WW/PH > ST

OoT/MM are directly connected just as WW/PH are, and each pair is followed by a game based a century later (TP and ST respectively). More so, OoT and WW play very similarly while MM and PH change both up greatly. TP and ST then take their respective worlds from 100 years prior and introduce a founded kingdom with magic-technology and such. Furthermore, [OoT/MM > TP] is done in a realistic style while [WW/PH > ST] is done in the toon style. It's interesting how the series seems to become more and more structured with time.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Spirit tracks was the best zelda game we have had since the N64 era. Nice difficulty curve, starting out way too easy, but getting pretty hard near the end, some very innovative puzzles
espically after the sand temple. Sand want was a great idea
good story, great concept with zelda following you around.

Just too good.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Well, the game has turned out to be a success in my book.

I absolutely LOVE the overworld music. This unfortunately makes me hate the suicidal trains even more, since they can be a mile away and still have their "impending doom" theme kick in.

Anyway, I just
got through the Fire Sanctuary duet. Those duets seem surprisingly forgiving, considering I actually goofed on one of my parts. Still, I don't think I would've gotten this or the Ocean Sanctuary one if it weren't for reading that you can actually drag fast enough to skip pipes.

Edit: I managed to do it successfully, so it's not an issue any more.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I just now noticed there's a Zelda game forum. whoops.

I gotta say, pretty good game. The music was awesome, the plot (minus the fact that its based on trains) was pretty good, and overall gameplay was good.

I won't ruin it for anybody, so i'll spoiler wrap this part.

My two complaints were the HORRIBLE final boss, and the stupid microphone--> play instruments thing.

If it weren't for the music, I may not have bothered to ever go thru and finish it. Deflecting spit-rocks 500 god **** times, and screwing up once = total boning was SO annoying. It took me a good hour just to do that, then i went ahead to beat the last half on the first try. I really would have preferred actually fighting.

And the slightest breath could extend 3-4 notes, it was stupid hard to skip over notes, unless I was doing it wrong.

I did go thru and rush everything (is was already two days overdue when I beat it) so I won't judge it too harshly. There's no need anyways, its a Zelda game, they're all good. But this was my least favorite I've played thus far.

Top Bottom