• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Export #1: Meta Knight | Complete!!

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Match-Up Export
Fox vs. Meta Knight

Things to keep in mind while discussing!

Code:
* Keep a proper wording, 
don't insult or yell at the other people discussing inside of this thread. 
Although that shouldn't even be mentioned, I've seen it happen.

* Match-Up ratios are fairly subjective. 
However, please don't overrate or underestimate a character. 
Stuff like "lol, X can't do anything, RAEP!" is not going to aid us in our discussion.

* Don't theorycraft too much. 
Keep in mind that while Fox or the character we're discussing in this thread
are able to do a certain move at a certain time, don't just throw this out, 
but rather think if this is actually practical and used by good players of these characters.

* If you are new to the discussion, please don't state trivial things.
Best would be to read the discussion properly, 
or at least the first and last few pages should the thread go on for a while already. 
Saying "Fox can reflect all of X's projectiles." might be true, 
but probably has already been mentioned.

* Discussions will be held for about 2 weeks - unless the need of expanding is felt.
The first week will bring a temporary ratio that then will corrected during the second.
With this in mind, we shall start the discussion!

:metaknight: META KNIGHT :metaknight:

KEY POINTS

Advantages

Dealing with Tornado

MK is known to wreck quite a few characters simply by spamming tornado... and, while avoidable, generally, MK's that do spam tornado tend to still do pretty well in a tournament scene. Fox does not succumb to this at all, however. Fox has several options against the tornado:

Dair the center of the attack from the top, leading to every dair followup.
Nair the center of the attack from the top, offering a more lenient hitbox than Dair, allowing for better accuracy, while losing some followups
Shield the 'nado, then Usmash punish the ending lag - Very useful due to Fox's speed, and his fairly strong shield.
Shield-grab the 'nado
Other situational attacks, such as Fsmash, apparently.

While many characters have similar ways of punishing the tornado, not much characters rivals Fox in this way. Fox's SDI alows him to "pop" out of the tornado (much more easily than most of the cast, likely due to his light weight), directly above the center, and dair downward. This only depends on the timing of the SDI, and not on the spacing of the tornado... It varies on how high Fox will actually pop out.. there have been times that I will just seemingly dair right in the middle of the tornado, without seeming to pop out all that much at all... But again, this gives you a spacing directly above the center of the tornado, and only gets you about 2%. Video evidence of this (just in some really old matches of mine) is shown below.

The typed the relative time that escaping of tornado occurs... The first three are teams matches (first two, MK player is Rx-; 3rd, it is Danny...mislabeled video), and the next two are singles matches against Bonesaw..

Watch me at 3:07 and 4:40, and Olimar at 4:05 and 4:31

Watch me at 1:39, 1:52, 2:54, 3:48, 4:01, 4:25 (actually get out twice here...), and 5:20 ; Olimar at 2:45, 3:07, and 5:28

Olimar at 1:25

3:21 and 4:12!!!

2:08!!!, 2:32, 4:21, and 4:41

Keep in mind this is just showing the escaping of tornado on a pretty regular basis. It is possible to escape 100% of the time.

The Dair followup at the end does not always work WHEN THE MK HAS ESTABLISHED SIDEWAYS MOMENTUM. That is, he starts it far to your left, and continues through you until the right. If he tries to zone you, and turnaround (Starts from the left, goes to your shield, then tries to drift back left) the dair is nearly guaranteed UPON HIT by the tornado, since it puts you above the center before the MK has a chance to get away.

Therefore, upone hit by tornado, no Fox should take (most of the time) more than 5%, and should almost always have a good chance to punish it with a dair > whatever....possibly killing the MK.

This makes this move a very risky choice for MK, and one of his worst options in the match.

Shuttle Loop / Glide attack

Similar to tornado, this is a very spammable move that makes the matchup ridiculous for many characters. It's use is not as limited as tornado, but again, Fox makes it riskier than most characters can.

With Fox on the ground, against a whiffed / shielded Shuttle Loop, Fox can drop shield, and SH Dair the end of shuttle loop, guaranteeing a hit. SH Dair clanks with the glide attack, and continues hitting, overriding that, and if the MK cancels the glide, rather than attack, he is still in position to be Daired...

In the air, it really depends on both characters' spacing and timing. Shuttle loop can beat or trade with Dair (Nair is a better option here, usually), but has to be well-spaced.

Fox should not be in danger of the semi-spike at the top of shuttle loop, because it can actually be reaction-shined ( I realize this sounds ridiculous, but I can land it fairly well, where the shine either stalls me just above the loop, giving a free dair, or the shine hits the MK due to its invincibility frames).

It can also be air dodged on reaction, so it's use is limited.

Shuttle loop's main use (imo) is out of shield, but I do not believe that this should be a huge problem for Fox, I will outline more on this later in this post.

Again, while shuttle loop still has good uses, it is a bit more limited than normal against Fox, because he is able to punish it...hard.

Fox's shield pressure game

This is a VERY important part of this matchup, and is neglected in discussion, most of the time.

My argument here is that MK's shield is not incredible, and Fox has good shield pokes. I outlined above a couple ways to land mostly free bairs on shield, and there are other ways to safely attack shield, as well.

After one or two bairs, MK's shield relaxes quite a bit, and uncovers his head. This allows Dair to poke the shield, and lead to every followup after a Dair. This instantly reverts Fox back to early days of Brawl, when SH Dair was a valid approach. SH Dair also approaches MK at his pseudo-weak spot from 45 degrees... above dsmash even. And once dair starts poking, Fox really can do much of what he wants, because MK's OoS game is gone.

Fox does this to several other characters, the most notable of which is Snake, who he can Fair poke.

Disadvantages

Zoning

Here is where most MK mains make their point in the matchup... and it is well founded, MK has zoning tools out the wazoo, but I do not feel that this can be described as "lol zone, u die"

The fact is that Fox gets out-zoned by many of the characters in the game, but still wins matchups against quite a few of them. I mean, in reality, Fox gets outzoned by characters like Ike, Zelda, DDD, Link, Lucario, Mario, Olimar, Peach, DK, etc etc etc... but has mostly even or advantage matches against all of them. Therefore, this cannot be considered an instant-win scenario... it does not lead to that. I agree that MK has very good zoning tools here, and they affect the matchup for him, but they do not instantly mean that he wins 7-3 or something.

Fox has several tools to get around MK's zoning in the matchup. While none of them is a cure-all to zoning (otherwise he wouldn't get out-zoned...would he?) they do come together to form a risk factor for MK that doesn't exist against some other characters.

Dash shield is an oft-overlooked tool for Fox, but is one of his safest and best options. Fox's dash speed, and lowish traction allows for a very quick slide at the end of the shield. This is a greater slide than most characters' dash shield, so it's hard to visualize if you do not know the move.

This allows him to push slightly inside tactics like dtilt, ftilt, and fair zoning, with the intention of applying pressure. If Fox lands a perfect shield in any of these cases, he gets a free grab, at least. If he does not, depending on spacing, he may still get a grab, or he just pushes the MK back a bit, and spacing is reset. Pushing the MK back limits his new space, so repeated pushing (not saying just through use of this....as predictability is a bad thing... mainly saying that applying pressure through shields and slight zoning tactics, MK needs to move back to reset his spacing) leads to MK having less and less space. This is an advantageous position for Fox, since MK must do something else to get more space, and risks falling into Fox's stuff.

Fox also has the fastest pivot grab in the game, and while its range isn't terribly impressive (it's still pretty good, at least), it has uses, especially through his PWG (boost pivot grab, if that sounds better to you), which slides ridiculously far, and can punish early spot dodges, and such. While this doesn't directly beat zoning, with fair or tilts, it is another tool to possibly punish a shield, etc.

MK also has a bit of a weak-spot in his defense from about a 45 degree angle... which is perfect for Fox's SH Bair.

A well spaced Fox Bair is unpunishable from shield. So this use as a SH over most of MK's zoning is very good. It also has another use.

In general, A FH for Fox is a safe position against MK. I have already outlined that tornado and shuttle loop are less safe against Fox, so using them has risk involved. MK's uair speed really helps to cover him from above, but Dair, mixed with shine stalling, can still poke through this defense. And this is assuming that MK perfectly read your FH, and wasn't finishing an fsmash or something. If MK stays on the ground, a falling Bair is safe, as it is unpunishable on shield (also leading me to my next main point).

In general, yes, Fox gets outzoned by MK....as it's impossible to disagree. However, I feel that Fox has several tactics to get around and through zoning, as evidenced by his matchups with some other characters. I also agree that this is the area in which MK does best in the match, but other factors come into play, as well.

Fox has other tools than mentioned that are situationally good, but also a bit more risky. One of these is SHAD, which does allow him to get inside, but also risks a shuttle loop. Its implementation in an anti-zoning game cannot be neglected simply due to that, however, as if it can be beaten by shuttle loop, it can also be used to bait a shuttle loop into a whiff or shield, which can be beaten, as outlined above.

Summary

1. Fox has tools to make MK's easily spammable moves (tornado and shuttle loop) MUCH riskier than they normally are.
2. Fox has recovery tools that should allow him to reach the level on nearly every recovery.
3. Zoning is hard for Fox, but not unbeatable, as shown in other matchups. While he has no set "do this" to beat zoning, he has several different options that can each allow him to bait and punish, or just outprioritize it sometimes. This is where MK wins the matchup, I agree, but it does not eliminate every Fox option.
4. Fox has ways to poke shields and combo into everything he has, leading to lots of damage and potentially a kill move. This makes attacks on shield a problem for MK, and Fox has unpunishable attacks on shield.
5. Fox has a sizable killing advantage, which is huge in Brawl, and greatly evens out the matchup.

IN-DEPTH DISCUSSION
Strategy & Match-Up Mentality

Aerial Game: Fair, Uair, and Bair allow us to challenge his air game.
Ground Game: Combat his tilts with Jabs and Ftilts
Approach: NEVER APPROACH!
Defense: Lasers as usual.
Camping Game: read defense.
Edge Game: We all know that MK has basically the perfect recovery, so he easily wins the edgeguarding battle here, but I do not believe that Fox should be getting gimped at all. I feel that he has the options to get around all of MK's edgeguarding tactics, and only is gimped due to stupid/predictable recoveries.

With rising fair, shine stall, fast fall, Firefox, and Illusion, fox has several different ways to get back to the stage. While MK can cover one or two of these options, he has no way to completely cover every option.

Keep in mind that MK has no reliable way to send Fox at a downward angle, so any discussion of Fox trying to recover from below with firefox is irrelevant. The situation should never happen, unless MK guesses an edgeguard correctly. Every normal hit from the stage will allow Fox to recovery very high, giving him several options.

Should MK try to jump out to edgeguard Fox, high in the air, Fox will always be able to illusion back to the stage, either under a MK (due to Fox's fastfalling speed) or over a MK trying to punish the before. Fox can cover quite a bit of vertical ground much faster than MK can... so assuming he is recovering from very high, he always gets these options.

Should MK stay on the stage, and try to edgeguard/edgehog, a high firefox becomes a two way guessing game that MK cannot punish unless he guesses correctly. I am not saying to firefox just off the ledge and say "shuttle loop me". I am talking about nearly a 45 degree anglefrom the edge, where MK cannot reliably get the shuttle loop. From this stance, MK can either try for an edgehog, or punish deep into the stage. Due to ledge lag vs. invincibility frames, he cannot punish both options at once... so he has to choose one. (I am mainly saying that the usualy argument against this is that MK can just shuttle loop off of the ledge, hitting firefox, but he does not have time to cover the ledge during his invincibility frames, so firefox does not hit him off, and jump off shuttle loop in the same instance, due to ledge lag frames)

There have only listed two situations here, that are beaten by Fox's recovery. There are a few more situations, but with the mix that Fox does have for his recovery, simply saying that he has the tools to avoid MK's edgeguarding. Not saying Fox will never get gimped... it should not happen every match. I also did not consider platforms, which give Fox more areas to safely recover here... there is more to this, but the gist is that Fox has tools to recover.

Some people bring up the grab release on the ledge, but Fox can simply rising Fair away from the stage, and be above stage level, giving him options... it doesn't lead to an instant kill, if the Fox plays smart.
Surviving: Same as Edge game.
Killing: This is where all of Fox's matchups either even out or give him the edge. It is well known that Fox has one of the more useful killing moves in the game. His usmash can be done from a dash or out of shield, not to even mention that it COMBOS out of Dair and weak Nair in killing range, and kills vertically stupidly early. He also has a couple more reliable kills moves in dsmash and Bair, which makes him quite a versatile killer.

Already outlined how Fox can get Dair hits on MK... through Tornado, Shuttle loop, Situationally with shine stalling from above, and through a weakened shield. Dair leads to quite a bit of damage, in most cases... and can put roughly 30% in at least (situational, but I'm speaking in general terms). Basically, two dair hits, lasers, and random other hits like bair, etc, and MK is around 100% fairly easily. This is killing range, meaning MK will die if hit by a weak nair, dair, random usmash, or OoS usmash.

Usmash OoS is very useful, given by dash shield's sliding distance. It can hit a poorly spaced glide attack. It can hit ftilt or fair, when perfect shielded (possibly dtilt, but I'm not sure how regular this is). It can always punish tornado. (drop shield dash usmash)

So around 80-100% (stage dependent), Fox gets very scary to MK. Said before that tornado, shuttle loop/glide attack, and even zoning (with possible perfect shields) can all mean death to MK... so he has no true "safe" option at this time.

conversely, MK does not have a kill move that kills Fox below around 120% (dsmash and possibly fsmash)... these also kill horizontally (mainly), so are more dependent on DI and recovery. This is assuming no gimping, which spoken about before.

After dsmash and possibly fsmash, Nair and Grounded shuttle loop do not kill until upwards of 140%...

So MK has two fairly predictable attacks that can kill around 120%. They cannot be executed from a dash. Dsmash can from a shield, but that is also shieldable. And they (while they have good range) are generally predictable...and can be avoided with SHs and FHs... and if MK is just trying to land a kill, it becomes a risky for Fox's dair or usmash.

so realistically, Fox has about a 30-40% killling advantage on MK (again assuming that Fox should be able to avoid gimps).... and this becomes higher if MK cannot reliably land dsmash... whereas, since Fox has so many opportunities to Usmash, he should never have a problem killing around this range...

This advantage is enough to drastically even out this matchup.
Frame Data:

Stages
Stage Striking
* Possible Fox Strikes
* Possible Meta Knight Strikes
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), 
[COLOR="Yellow"]Castle Siege, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly a starter, but possible. 
Neither player should depend on these[/COLOR]
Stage Banning
* Possible Fox Bans
* Possible Meta Knight Bans
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Brinstar, 
Frigate Orpheon, Jungle Japes, Pictochat, Pirate Ship, Pokémon Stadium 2, 
Rainbow Cruise, [COLOR="Yellow"]Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Green Greens, Port Town Aero Dive, 
Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly legal, but possible. 
Stage Counterpicks
* Possible Fox Counterpicks
* Possible Meta Knight Counterpicks
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Brinstar, 
Frigate Orpheon, Jungle Japes, Pictochat, Pirate Ship, Pokémon Stadium 2, 
Rainbow Cruise, [COLOR="Yellow"]Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Green Greens, Port Town Aero Dive, 
Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly legal, but possible. 

Possible Secondaries

Videos & Other Outside Resources

Videos
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7A6B3F22DD26B93F
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWnSweQB1SI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx5M7KdIdB4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZJD6uw3z5o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4impzhIP4Fw&feature=related

Verdict
:metaknight: 50:50 :fox:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I really don't feel like being laughed at in this matchup again... but i seriously think MK isn't hard...

And Foxes have been known for beating, or doing very well against MKs for a while...

seriously... imo, it's on the 50-50 to 60-40 range (Mk's favor, sure)... and not outside that.

Ok... so dealing with Tornado...

This has been a point of contention between me and several other Fox mains for a while... I've finally gone through some of my old videos, to highlight a Smash DI up to escape tornado.. I get this about 60-70% of the time I get hit by tornado.. if not more... sometimes, I miss the timing of it, or I only get hit by a few hits of tornado anyway... but still

I don't know if it matters, but I double stick Smash DI up as soon as the nado hits..

Here are some videos of me taken about a year ago. I'm not really posting these as an example of my skill... or really anything like that, but in the titles, I have typed the relative time that escaping of tornado occurs... The first three are teams matches (first two, MK player is Rx-; 3rd, it is Danny...mislabeled video), and the next two are singles matches against Bonesaw..

Watch me at 3:07 and 4:40, and Olimar at 4:05 and 4:31

Watch me at 1:39, 1:52, 2:54, 3:48, 4:01, 4:25 (actually get out twice here...), and 5:20 ; Olimar at 2:45, 3:07, and 5:28

Olimar at 1:25

3:21 and 4:12!!!

I think this match shows punishment of tornado... and really overall play in the matchup fairly well... It's really old, though. : /

2:08!!!, 2:32, 4:21, and 4:41

I honestly think these really back up my point... Not all of these tornados were executed amazingly.. but since it is practically MK's go-to move against most low tiers, they don't always use it perfectly... and I found that some of the tornados here were spaced pretty well, and I still popped out... *shrug*. It seems pretty random at times... I have found that a lot of it depends on the timing of the SDI... like, once you're caught in the 'nado, it's MUCH harder to SDI out, than if you SDI the first couple of hits on you...

I have found that the timing of the tornado, as to when it hits you, doesn't seem to make a difference. You can get hit at the beginning, middle, or near the end of the move, and still pop out..

so yeah, I mean, make your calls, here... but at least I've shown it's possible to pop out pretty consistently...

I'll post more later, but this took wayyy too long to find all those. heheh

DarkAura

Smash Lord
when is comes to getting out of nado you HAVE to time the SDI correctly (if you want to get out early like fenrir mentioned)

When nado comes towards you the first hit that hits you knocks you into the nado and has slightly more knockback that the following hits, You must SDI, DI whatever that hit or if you miss that you can try DIing out of the hits which is hard but possible.

anyways it can get trickier than it sounds to do this cause i find i usually DI in the wrong direction and either land in the nado again or land in a Dsmash >.<

unfortunately i do believe a charged side smash is the only nado breaker we have, maybe charged upsmash too but the timing is so lame i wouldn't attempt it.

That leaves us with only a few nado breaking options all require you to be above him when you have a shot at the weak spot your options are:
Shine
Nair
Dair
Uair (Fox's head is a full hit box for both hits)
FireFox (for the lulz?)

i usually use nair because weak or strong it hits and IMO it's the easiest to hit with, Dair can be just slightly harder to hit but it leads into JJC, Usmash... you main fox you know what it leads to. I would recommend Dair but just cause im cool and it looks sexy i use Nair.

so yeah my fail write up on nado

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I just checked the general MU discussion... 70:30 for Meta Knight? Really? *laughs* I mean...yea, MK is good at gimping, but come on. :p

I'll make a little writeup later. But it's definitely not worse than 60:40 - 55:45 actually sounds most reasonable.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
I just checked the general MU discussion... 70:30 for Meta Knight? Really? *laughs* I mean...yea, MK is good at gimping, but come on. :p

I'll make a little writeup later. But it's definitely not worse than 60:40 - 55:45 actually sounds most reasonable.
i would say like 57.85343958:43.25767152 (that equals 100% :chuckle: ) meta knight

being serious it's like 55:45 atmost 60:40 we have a lot more in this match up than people think, im just too lazy to go into details

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
i would say like 57.85343958:43.25767152 (that equals 100% :chuckle: ) meta knight

being serious it's like 55:45 atmost 60:40 we have a lot more in this match up than people think, im just too lazy to go into details
Actually, that equals 101.1111.... : )

Yeah, I'll get back into more details later on... just wanted to make a point about the tornado...

Virgman

Smash Apprentice
Meta Knight's not all that scary. I agree with Fen and would say that the matchup is between 50:50 and 60:40 (MKs favor). Sure, he can do some horrendous things to Fox, but he can do the same thing to everyone else as well. Here's what I do to MKs:

Mindgame him with Fox's speed! That is really important. Make him think you're going to do something, when you're not. That's pretty much the main reason I laser cancel. People think, "Oh man he's shooting a laser! Now's my chance!!" Then I cancel the laser as they're forcing an approach and punish them for it. The thing about Fox punishing people is that he doesn't just punish you with one hit. Almost all of his attacks lead to other attacks, in turn creating what we all know as a "combo". So anyway, send a couple of lasers at MK and they WILL (I promise ^.^) run at you. This is where Fox's speed comes into play even more. Run around MK shielding attacks and making him use his shield (result of the mindgames I just spoke of). When you see an opening, then it's possible to punish him. But once his shield gets down to around 60-70 percent, dair can shield poke him. Then you can combo MK for a little bit. Once he gets to kill percent (86%), do the same thing and wait for his shield to go down just a teeny bit. Then dair that kat into upsmash!

When MK's in the air above Fox, people generally stay down because of the little endlag MK has after his aerials (accept nair). That's when I mind game him again. SH, FH, (pretty much just jumpin around) making him think I'm going to try and attack. And you know what they do? They jump and dair over and over and over. Then, since Fox can reach great altitude in no time, I double jump into uair. It works quite often.

Now I'm going to address another problem: MK's glide attack. Everyone knows that his glide attack doesn't have any lag afterwards, making it a "safe" way of approaching from the air (when it comes to Fox). Well we also know that Fox's upsmash cancels glide attack. I have recently begun to do an even better solution for the glide attack. Dair. The first hit of Fox's dair cancels the glide attack, and given the nature of multihit attacks, it continues to plow MK to the ground, setting Fox up for combos. If MK is already at kill percent, then Dair-Cancel the glide attack and upsmash him. It works well. Just have to time it, as you do with everything else.

Now as for tornado...the reason that move is so good is because (#1) it's a multihit attack, so we pretty much have to shield it. (#2) It's difficult to interrupt it from the side. I've done it with fair countless times, but fair's startup lag is too slow oftentime. So tornado has a ton of priority and hits you a ton of times. It doesn't do that much damage, and it's pretty easy to get out of or shield. So I don't see that as a problem.

MK's good pretty much on any stage. I usually CP with Halberd or BF. Halberd because of the low ceiling and BF because I do well on that stage. I ban places like Delfino Plaza and other stages where MK can fly under the stage and shuttle loop through any part of it (excluding Halberd).

Overall I say that using Fox's pros to his advantage and using his speed to stay away when you need to, will bring a victory over MK. Now of course no one always wins, but this strategy works really well for me.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
i agree 60 - 40 min :D

i also think due to fox's priority issue against metaknight, grabs are essential for victory

DarkAura

Smash Lord
i agree 60 - 40 min :D

i also think due to fox's priority issue against metaknight, grabs are essential for victory
but grabs = fox being punished

maybe like 1 out of 3 throws on an mk you will land a follow up.. he's got combo breakers for all of them

Dthrow-Fair, Nair, SH... mid air downsmash?
Fthrow-off the top of my head i don't know but probably dsmash
Uthrow- everything
Bthrow- Bair, Nair... more

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I agree with what most of TKD said; Fox is able to hold his own against a lot of MKs strong options or random stuff (d-air camping, d-air clanking with glide attack) etc.

However, something that's been avoided:

What do you do when MK approaches? Serious question. I realize that it's easy to make him approach and get a quick 10% in the process, but as far as I know, he has very safe and reasonable approaching options once he's in range with you.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
good point actually... second nature for me is whenever i see MK dashing towards me i either Nair, Dair or charge Dsmash depending on percents

Curaga

Smash Ace
Fox has a harder time versus Wolf than an MK..

Other recent topics cover things like grab release -> upsmash, but in the interest of furthering Fox I think we can push forth more effort here, yeah?

And, is there any move outside of tornado (that we know of) that can be beat/countered by a well timed shine?

Somethings that I would like to add, (which may seem horribly obvious..)

Side-Bing is never a good idea when used offensively. MK has several answers, the most annoying being tornado which will eat you alive. However, a risky *** way of getting space is to jump and side-b cancel from ground, and grab onto a ledge. This is great because it lets you gtfo, but amazingly hard to do without a lot of practice as you will sometimes fly past the ledge and just suicide.

The most important thing that I have to add.. that I haven't really seen a lot of other people do..
Shield grab tornado. Even if MK is coming from beneath you to catch you a platform, as soon as MK's tornado is in front of you, just jab A in shield. It also works on MK's side-B drill thing .. and in my opinion is an incredibly crucial thing for all Foxes to be aware of.

Some MKs I play will just stop tornadoing all together, unless I'm aerial.

But, of course, Tornado =/= MK.

So I think we need to discuss MK, and not Tornado mostly.

I like D-Airing onto a shuttle loop.. and winning. :D

Palpi

Smash Hero
If the metaknight maintains proper zoning, how would fox deal with f-tilt? Also, how does fox handle the grab to ground release on edge.

it is 6-4 metaknight at best.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Weird thing about the match is that MK is actually not all that great in covering the area above him... at least not against Fox
Fox's Dair straight up beats tornado and upB, and all of his other upward attacks, even uair, can be beaten with shine stalling to an aerial (dair or bair, mostly)...If MK whiffs one attack, we get a free aerial in... and if he waits for it, we bair the shield and reset. It's weird to say that a character can have an advantageous position above MK, but in this case, it is true.

MK's OoS game is insane, but Fox can mostly avoid it with well spaced Bairs (It's easy to see when a MK is looking for a shield to something) and even Nair, to an extent. Also, as somebody already mentioned, after a couple of hits, MK's shield gets poked by Dair, giving Fox free combos...So free bairing of the shield REALLY helps Fox here... just watch spacing.

MK has a very good zoning game with aerials and dtilt/ftilt... but simply jumping gets you out of the situation, and above MK, which was discussed.

Also, a dash shield against a fair or tilt puts you in prime position for shield usmash, so his normal zoning game gets a bit riskier.

MK's upB is still going to be a bit of a nightmare, but not as much as usual, since it can be beaten from above, and he doesn't really have good options if it doesn't connect... A SH Dair after the loop part of the UpB is almost guaranteed to hit since, as Virg mentioned, Dair clashes with glide attack, and keeps attacking afterward. Otherwise, shield grab and shield usmash are options against non-perfectly spaced glide attacks.

MK's recovery and planking can cause a problem for Fox, but if Fox plays smart, he can capitalize here... Basically, I just hold pressure with shields and dashes at the ledge, waiting for MK to make a mistake. If he slightly miscalculates an aerial, or goes for shuttle loop, he can be usmashed... This is a risky position for Fox, but play smart, and you'll be ok. For the most part, Fox should NEVER be edgeguarding MK off the stage... edgehog is usually the fartherst off the stage you should EVER be when trying to edgeguard.

Fox's recovery is still better than most people realize... He has so many options here, and MK can cover several of them, but I've never been in a situation where I felt that MK could cover every option perfectly... Read this as: you should not be getting gimped. I realize it's a bit hard not to, but Fox has tools to not get gimped. DOn't be afraid to use highish firefoxes, as they give you the option of going deep into the stage, or to the ledge... of course, don't do this in shuttle loop territory, but a bit off the stage, and you should always have a good option... Illusion is great because if he doesn't edgehog, you get a free ledge... if he does, you can illusion into the stage and be safe.

Against the grab release, just double jump BACK... off the stage a bit, with a rising fair.. This has a small chance of catching MK and stage spiking him. It mostly covers your jump back, as well... then just illusion or firefox (depending on position) as normal.

I think this match is very good because Fox has ways of dealing with everything that makes MK broken against some characters:

Tornado - discussed before. SDI out, Nair or Dair from top
Shuttle Loop - Dair from above, SH Dair at time after loop, beating glide attack
Juggling - Fast falling speed, mixed with shine interruptions and dair
Zoning - get above, as MK has more trouble with that area, as seen in "Juggling"
Recovery vs. Edgeguarding - still hard, sure. Not match breaking, but definitely what puts it in MK's favor, imo.

And since a misguessed zoning tactic, shuttle loop, or tornado allows Fox to get an usmash from dash shield, dair, or during the down time on the tornado, he can kill MK for using his normally safe moves, and he kills MK EARLY...
seriously? it's a really good match.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
Fenrir IMO is the god of match up discussion i wish i actually knew more than 3 characters T_T

Curaga

Smash Ace
Fenrir IMO is the god of match up discussion i wish i actually knew more than 3 characters T_T
I only play 3 characters and I do fairly well. :p

Although no one else will ever let us say 50:50.. though that is my current opinion.. considering U-tilt gets an MK half dead, and all of the other advantages we have.

My personal opinion at this point is 50:50, 40:60MK for those who don't have any faith.

I can't think of a better character to use versus MetaKnight honestly.

I'm incredibly interested to see how this thread continues.

(btw, I like Spadefox's new name. I'm still going to call you SpadeFox though)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
(btw, I like Spadefox's new name. I'm still going to call you SpadeFox though)
I simply will not respond to you, then.

@Topic:
I personally think that this matchup is 55:45 in Meta Knight's favour.

Seeing the input of several people made me realize a few things that I didn't know yet, TKD's input was extremely valuable as it was basically the matchup out of Meta Knight's view and what Meta Knight would have to keep in mind. So thanks for that.

Now, this matchup is very interesting.
The main advantage Meta Knight has are his transcend priority, his strong range and attack speed, as well as his incredible gimping game. While Fox does have the tools to get around gimping, Meta Knight is one of the best, if not the best gimper in the game, making it very hard for pretty much everyone. Meta Knight will definitely go for gimps, so making your recovery unpredictable with Shinestalling, Firefox out of different directions, Illusion and well-placed rising FAirs, is essential for this matchup.
Fox's main advantage is his ability to force approaches, his strong punishing game, as well as his overall amazing mobility - something where Meta Knight kinda struggles to follow up.
Meta Knight's light weight makes him of course a very nice prey for Fox, who mainly relies on vertical kills through USmash.

Both characters are very good at spacing, but I think Fox has a bit of the edge here, due to the overall mobility. Though it's not by much.

Seeing how many advantages Fox has in this matchup gives me the conclusion that it's very close to even. I still think that Meta Knight overall has the better options mainly due to his amazing offstage game and his longass sword.

That's my 2 cents - feel free to bite me, lol.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I remember when anybody saying this matchup was no worse than 6-4 for MK was laughed at.... good times, to be sure.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I wouldn't of laughed, but I didn't play Fox back then and didn't know crap about him.
But... It's funny in general that Meta Knights seems to be less of a threat the further the metagame proceeds. So many "****" matchups became even-ish to slight disadvantages, haha.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
^ Um... MK?

Great discussion guys, I was unaware of all the small advantages Fox had in this matchup before, and combined together creates a rather workable routine. I would even say great routine.

I haven't personally tied these moves out on a good MK myself, so I can't really help with the ratio :(.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Weird thing about the match is that MK is actually not all that great in covering the area above him... at least not against Fox
Fox's Dair straight up beats tornado and upB, and all of his other upward attacks, even uair, can be beaten with shine stalling to an aerial (dair or bair, mostly)...If MK whiffs one attack, we get a free aerial in... and if he waits for it, we bair the shield and reset. It's weird to say that a character can have an advantageous position above MK, but in this case, it is true.
IIRC, MK's U-air comes out in frame 3 and ends on frame 13 or 17 (forget which). Fox's shine ends on frame 20, and D-air comes out on frame 5.

Assuming this, if he U-airs, he's going to have enough time to react and punish or avoid anything that you do above him.

D-air will (obviously) beat U-air if you time yourself not to get hit with U-air, but realistically, he can whiff a U-air and be mostly safe. If he U-airs your airdodge, you get hit, and if he U-airs and misses and you shine stall, depending on if you're directly above him or more to the side or whatever, he can probably U-air and hit you, but you can also hit him if you shine stall before he U-airs (but that can get punished. If he's on the ground you can B-air his shield (if he shields), but I'd imagine he'd be hovering, trying to bait a response, and punish.

D-air beats shuttle loop, D-air does not beat Tornado unless you go down right in the center I believe, and any good MK won't let you do that. They're going to catch you with the tornado towards the side and move according to your DI so it's really difficult for you to DI out and punish. And when MK tornados, he gets good horizontal aerial movement, so he can move away from being directly under you.

Basically, if he U-airs and uses Mach Tornado immediately afterwards, unless you punish the U-air (meaning he would have to miss you as you do a shine stall), then he's near unpunishable.

Also, a dash shield against a fair or F-tilt's final hit puts you in prime position for shield usmash, so his normal zoning game gets a bit riskier.
D-tilt, F-smash (punishable beforehand, not really if it hits your shield), and I believe B-air (I heard if auto-cancelled, MK has a 4 frame advantage, but I'm not 100% sure on that) are safe on your shield. Against F-air (which happens quite a bit) or F-tilt's final hit (not as much) you can punish I believe.

MK's upB is still going to be a bit of a nightmare, but not as much as usual, since it can be beaten from above, and he doesn't really have good options if it doesn't connect... A SH Dair after the loop part of the UpB is almost guaranteed to hit since, as Virg mentioned, Dair clashes with glide attack, and keeps attacking afterward. Otherwise, shield grab and shield usmash are options against non-perfectly spaced glide attacks.
Agree except for the last sentence.

Glide attack's landing lag is very slight, if there is any at all. Shield-grab might work, shield u-smash won't. U-smash hits on frame 8, MK's D-smash hits on frame 4-5.

Other than that I think I mostly agree with what you said.

I still didn't see my question answered. Fox does better than quite a bit of people vs. MK because he can get past or manage quite a bit of MK's "killer" tactics, but what happens when the MK just approaches? What can you do to be stopped by an effective rush-down game by MK? He has attacks that are pretty safe on your shield (rising D-air, D-tilt, F-smash, tornado, retreating F-air, maybe B-air/N-air, spaced glide attack and upB) and frame-wise beats most of your CQC options with N-air or D-smash.

edit:

Lol that's exactly what I was thinking. I guess Pal is tryin to say that MK is a better counter than Fox. That's possible. I don't like dittos though :-( They seem so unpredictable.
I'm pretty sure Pal's trying to say that there are characters who have closer/better match-ups with MK.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
IIRC, MK's U-air comes out in frame 3 and ends on frame 13 or 17 (forget which). Fox's shine ends on frame 20, and D-air comes out on frame 5.

Assuming this, if he U-airs, he's going to have enough time to react and punish or avoid anything that you do above him.

D-air will (obviously) beat U-air if you time yourself not to get hit with U-air, but realistically, he can whiff a U-air and be mostly safe. If he U-airs your airdodge, you get hit, and if he U-airs and misses and you shine stall, depending on if you're directly above him or more to the side or whatever, he can probably U-air and hit you, but you can also hit him if you shine stall before he U-airs (but that can get punished. If he's on the ground you can B-air his shield (if he shields), but I'd imagine he'd be hovering, trying to bait a response, and punish.
No this is correct, Uair is fast, but its range is lacking, so shine stall will throw it off, as well...and generally, the stall will be performed slightly before the attack it's avoiding. I realize that there is a frame advantage to MK's uair, but it is possible to get in the middle of the uairs. I've also beaten it out with Nair and Dair before, but it doesn't seem very consistent, so I'm not sure you could rely on it.
My main point is that you can throw off his juggling game, moreso than other characters...

D-air beats shuttle loop, D-air does not beat Tornado unless you go down right in the center I believe, and any good MK won't let you do that. They're going to catch you with the tornado towards the side and move according to your DI so it's really difficult for you to DI out and punish. And when MK tornados, he gets good horizontal aerial movement, so he can move away from being directly under you.

Basically, if he U-airs and uses Mach Tornado immediately afterwards, unless you punish the U-air (meaning he would have to miss you as you do a shine stall), then he's near unpunishable.
It does have to be in the center... but my first post here outlined how Fox gets out of tornado easily...even if it hits.... and can dair into the center afterward.. Tornado is never safe in this match.

Also, uair then tornado has quite a bit of stationary time, before MK builds the sideways momentum... Fox has time for a dair in there, anyway. nair has a larger range against the tornado, but Dair's benefits really make it the stronger move to use here, imo.

D-tilt, F-smash (punishable beforehand, not really if it hits your shield), and I believe B-air (I heard if auto-cancelled, MK has a 4 frame advantage, but I'm not 100% sure on that) are safe on your shield. Against F-air (which happens quite a bit) or F-tilt's final hit (not as much) you can punish I believe.
I believe a shield grab, if it is in range, beats all of these options.. meaning, I don't think MK has frame advantage to beat out a shield grab, does he? I could easily be wrong here, but I didn't believe so.

If he cannot, then dash shield opens up more, I agree this is somewhat theorycrafting, but dash shield slides far enough in to land a grab against everything you stated except maybe fsmash. Also, a FH beats each of those situations, as I outlined in my previous post...

Agree except for the last sentence.

Glide attack's landing lag is very slight, if there is any at all. Shield-grab might work, shield u-smash won't. U-smash hits on frame 8, MK's D-smash hits on frame 4-5.
Yeah, I said poorly spaced, because of that... if it is angled down, shield usmash will not work, if it is not, it will. Most players will angle it down, if they can, but if you are slightly too far away, they will go that extra distance to try to hit you, and boom! Got m2k with that one, even.

Other than that I think I mostly agree with what you said.

I still didn't see my question answered. Fox does better than quite a bit of people vs. MK because he can get past or manage quite a bit of MK's "killer" tactics, but what happens when the MK just approaches? What can you do to be stopped by an effective rush-down game by MK? He has attacks that are pretty safe on your shield (rising D-air, D-tilt, F-smash, tornado, retreating F-air, maybe B-air/N-air, spaced glide attack and upB) and frame-wise beats most of your CQC options with N-air or D-smash.
Fsmash isn't safe, if simply because you can quickly jump over and at least land a shielded bair.
Tornado isn't safe, as outline in my first post.
UpB and Glide attack are not safe against SH Dairs, as mentioned in my last post.
Everything you just mentioned is beaten from above... with only uair being able to true cover it... and even that allows Fox some room to get around it... FH bairs to the back cover most options...
All that, mixed with the threat of sliding dash shield to grab or usmash... this is how Fox deals with it.

edit:

I'm pretty sure Pal's trying to say that there are characters who have closer/better match-ups with MK.
useless post was useless.... if he has actual input, he should provide it... his post was unnecessary.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I remember when anybody saying this matchup was no worse than 6-4 for MK was laughed at.... good times, to be sure.
Because so much has changed since then, right? -_-

No way in hell is this a close match.

Fenrir, your escape from MK's zoning is to full jump ABOVE MK?

>_>

If I tilt, and you jump, I'll walk away a couple steps, forward or back, and spacing is reset/i'll ftilt your landing.

Fox isn't even good at spacing. Your aerials aren't very zoning friendly. You have mobility and lasers and the ability to kill well if you can stay away from predictability at kill percents.

MK is safer in every way. Sure, you can punish obvious nado attempts, but MK's tools allow himself to take control much easier and maintain it. He's a faster attacker with WAY better pokes.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Fox isn't even good at spacing. Your aerials aren't very zoning friendly. You have mobility and lasers and the ability to kill well if you can stay away from predictability at kill percents.
Um...

Sure... I'll leave it at that.

Please don't post in a condescending manner if you don't know. I can respect differing opinions and such, but this statement is plain wrong.

Bair and Nair both zone out of shield grab range... and Fair is also quite a good zoner.

I know that MK has better zoning tools. i'm not arguing that... but yes, FH above MK is safe in the match... walk away ftilt gives Fox a bair on at least your shield... and a couple shield hits allows Dair to poke to anything...

Fox's awareness as a character has gotten a fairly large buff lately, and as such, more knowledgeable Fox players are coming in... and many of the better Fox players do very well against MKs in their region. Rookie made a name for himself basically by beating MK. Several other Foxes out there are doing the same... This matchup is shown to be very winnable.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
They go out of shield grab range, yes, I know that. But MK's sword can still reach. But whether it's safe on shield or not, you can't reliably approach with it as MK has multiple moves such as Up b or tornado that **** the majority of aerial approaches.

And what happens if you bair a shield and retreat a minimal distance? MK walks forward and begins his zoning again continuing to add pressure. Fox has no reliable way out of this. Willingly putting yourself in a disadvantageous position (yes above is most DEFINITELY a disadvantageous position) is not escaping zoning. You'd have better success just running away.

If you didn't already commit to the dair from the full hop and you bair his shield cool. What do you do from there? Run away and laser? You can't reliably do anything else. What if MK just walked forward/backward (i think we have our directions messed up here)? Fair isn't going to reach. Either way it completely nullifies your full hop attempt and MK can just reset his zoning.

Also I'm not stating an opinion, I'm laying down facts based on each character's tools. Fox can't compete in the neutral situation. He has baiting, but that is in no way a solid strat and can't be brought up in a match up discussion.

And your last paragraph tells me you're just going off what you do or see in tournament. That isn't reliable enough to base a match off of. Have you seen how the top Marth players are doing vs MK's lately? Doesn't matter, MK still has a very clear advantage. The opponent may not be doing the match correctly and I can definitely see Fox's novelty effect having something to do with the outcomes.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Fenrir. 4-6 is obviously winnable. No better.

Lol that's exactly what I was thinking. I guess Pal is tryin to say that MK is a better counter than Fox. That's possible. I don't like dittos though :-( They seem so unpredictable.
Do you know Snake, Diddy and ~Wario exist? I almost wasn't going to respond to --^

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
No this is correct, Uair is fast, but its range is lacking, so shine stall will throw it off, as well...and generally, the stall will be performed slightly before the attack it's avoiding.
Why can't the MK just hit you during the stall? Realistically, you're probably going to only throw him off on the very first shine (afterwards he can and will punish with Tornado, upB, U-air, whatever). It's a nice but situational tool; if you think the MK will U-air you shine stall and barely miss the U-air. But even then, you have to pray that you shine stall quite some frames before he U-airs, otherwise he'll still have frame advantage.

My main point is that you can throw off his juggling game, moreso than other characters...
True. But it's not nearly to the point where being above MK is safe. This isn't true for any character.

It does have to be in the center... but my first post here outlined how Fox gets out of tornado easily...even if it hits.... and can dair into the center afterward.. Tornado is never safe in this match.
Tornado is almost always safe against all but like 3 characters.

Any character can DI out of tornado, and any character can punish MK after they DI out of tornado. It's nothing new. Thing is, because it's not new, MKs have been working around it. They can keep you at the sides initially, making it harder for you to DI out of the tornado. Because of the momentum boost, they can chase your DI out and still punish you from the tornado. If you get out and attempt to D-air, MK can simply go horrizontally and catch you in the tornado again. Grounded, he can catch you and retreat back towards the end to avoid most punishment (except for maybe lasers).

Also, uair then tornado has quite a bit of stationary time, before MK builds the sideways momentum... Fox has time for a dair in there, anyway. nair has a larger range against the tornado, but Dair's benefits really make it the stronger move to use here, imo.
True, but this is assuming that he whiffs a U-air while you're right above him after you shine stall. While it works, it's really situational and often won't work more than once/twice a game/set.

I believe a shield grab, if it is in range, beats all of these options.. meaning, I don't think MK has frame advantage to beat out a shield grab, does he? I could easily be wrong here, but I didn't believe so.
If it's in range. An MK with good spacing won't let it be in range. You can't say that your B-air on his shield can't be directly punished (which is true), but his D-tilt, F-smash, B-air (maybe) on your shield will be shield-grabbed.

If he cannot, then dash shield opens up more, I agree this is somewhat theorycrafting, but dash shield slides far enough in to land a grab against everything you stated except maybe fsmash. Also, a FH beats each of those situations, as I outlined in my previous post...
It's not a winning situation. It's disadvantageous zoning with some advantageous potential. If he hits your shield with F-smash or D-tilt and you dash shield, during the time it takes for you to get out of shield-stun, drop your shield, dash, and wait until the initial dash is over so you can shield, you can be D-smashed, D-tilted, F-tilted, F-aired, N-aired, grabbed, really anything that's CQC. Sure, if the opponent you're facing is predictable with his CQC options (like he's an MK that panics whenever you're close and just D-smashes all the time), then it works, but you're assuming that the match-up is played by two top level players, and general non-character specific things like reading your opponent shouldn't come into match-up discussion.

Yeah, I said poorly spaced, because of that... if it is angled down, shield usmash will not work, if it is not, it will. Most players will angle it down, if they can, but if you are slightly too far away, they will go that extra distance to try to hit you, and boom! Got m2k with that one, even.
I meant if it's poorly spaced is the only time you might be able to shield-grab. Even if the MK spaces it not ideally, he can D-smash or do another upB (invincibility on frame 1 when grounded) before you can punish (getting out of shield-stun, then OoS up-smash probably won't beat those options).

I don't have experience actually trying to OoS up-smash an MK that glide attacks my shield. However, when I play against MKs with my Diddy, the only other way that I can beat having to worry about quick frame attacks other than timing a banana throw really well is doing an U-smash ( maybe reverse) and having the hitboxes clank. In my experiences, I've tried shield-grabbing, OoS glide toss backwards, OoS d-tilt, whatever, and I either don't hit him or get hit myself.

Fsmash isn't safe, if simply because you can quickly jump over and at least land a shielded bair.
If you're out of range of his F-smash and you try to punish on reaction, you won't. The only time you'll probably punish if you don't have hit-stun projectiles is if he F-smashes when you're above him or behind him.

Tornado isn't safe, as outline in my first post.
Covered.

UpB and Glide attack are not safe against SH Dairs, as mentioned in my last post.
Yes and no.

Yes because if you're SH-Dairing above him after a glide attack or something and they try to upB, they get hit.

No because, again, it's one of those situational things that rarely happens. MK doesn't only use his upB when you're in short-hop range right above him. He may use it when you're in the air, to punish your laggy attack, when you're shielding or in range grounded in front of him, etc. It comes out on frame 5-6 and grounded, has frame 1 invincibility. It's a really good attack. Just because it isn't safe in a couple of situations doesn't mean it isn't safe overall. Sure, it's usage is diminished a little, but it's still a great move.

Yes, Fox can get around parts of some of MKs game that gives other characters a great deal of trouble. He's better than most about dealing with gimps, zones, and key moves, and can get in a few percent and force MK to approach with his lasers.

However, it doesn't matter much. From what I could gather from this thread, the MK boards and this match-up, MK's approach solidly beats your defensive options. He solidly outzones you, beats you frame-wise, and beats you in basically every zone. Sure, Fox can do better than quite a bit at the match-up and get past situational MK things, but they're precisely that: situational. It doesn't matter if MKs shuttle loop doesn't give you much trouble if MK outspaces and outzones you, and can safely approach you.

Most of the punishment things you said were situational and often counted on predicing what MK could do. Frame-wise, you have a very constricted time in which you can predict MK will U-air, do your first shine, and win the situation. You have to predict his F-tilt and hope for what ever reason he won't buffer it, and will slowly do all 3 hits, for you to be able to full hop and B-air past the F-tilt.

Overall tl;dr:

Situational stuff doesn't matter if it doesn't happen often. Overall, what the game comes down to is who can space better, limit space and options better, zone better, etc. And in that aspect, Fox seems to lose. How does Fox approach safely? He can't. Sure, he can camp and make MK approach, but how does he reliably make sure that MK won't have the advantage if he decides to approach? It doesn't seem like he can.

In no way do I think this is an unwinnable match-up for Fox. It's certainly winnable. However, saying it's near even or 55:45 with limited evidence to back up such a bold claim? It's not convincing, and I'm not seeing it.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I don't really like multiquoting, so forgive me if I miss something / seem a bit rushed.

They go out of shield grab range, yes, I know that. But MK's sword can still reach. But whether it's safe on shield or not, you can't reliably approach with it as MK has multiple moves such as Up b or tornado that **** the majority of aerial approaches.
Once again, Tornado and UpB are both beaten out, for the most part, by Dair. Tornado is almost completely taken out of this matchup, assuming Fox knows that he can SDI... so while they **** the majority, they are not smart vs. a Fox player. UpB, I can understand, as it is still situationally good, but more risky than against most chars.

And what happens if you bair a shield and retreat a minimal distance? MK walks forward and begins his zoning again continuing to add pressure. Fox has no reliable way out of this. Willingly putting yourself in a disadvantageous position (yes above is most DEFINITELY a disadvantageous position) is not escaping zoning. You'd have better success just running away.

If you didn't already commit to the dair from the full hop and you bair his shield cool. What do you do from there? Run away and laser? You can't reliably do anything else. What if MK just walked forward/backward (i think we have our directions messed up here)? Fair isn't going to reach. Either way it completely nullifies your full hop attempt and MK can just reset his zoning.
As said before, One or two Bair hits remove MK's shield for a little while... Even if NOTHING else is working... the MK never gets hit by bair or dair... and never falls for dash shield, once his shield is hit by one or two bairs, Dair pokes it, leading to anything you want. While this of course won't be guaranteed, it applies reverse pressure to MK as well...
And this is completely disregarding the application of things such as dash shield, which apply a good amount of risk to MK's zoning game... you can get inside ftilt and fair/bair with this... if nothing else, leading to MK having to retreat, putting more pressure onto him..

Also I'm not stating an opinion, I'm laying down facts based on each character's tools. Fox can't compete in the neutral situation. He has baiting, but that is in no way a solid strat and can't be brought up in a match up discussion.

And your last paragraph tells me you're just going off what you do or see in tournament. That isn't reliable enough to base a match off of. Have you seen how the top Marth players are doing vs MK's lately? Doesn't matter, MK still has a very clear advantage. The opponent may not be doing the match correctly and I can definitely see Fox's novelty effect having something to do with the outcomes.
I am not "Just going off" of what I'm seeing... I am using it to back it up. I have been saying this was a good match for quite some time now... results are showing it much better than they used to. It is simply a fact for my argument... not what my entire argument is based on.

It is a fact that Fox gets out-zoned by a large majority of characters in the game... but these matchups are not all (or even most, really) considered disadvantageous matchups... Fox's ability to get inside zoning tactics with dash shield, to at least push the opponent back is valuable... Plus, his speed, and a couple of attacks, allow him to counter tactics that wreck a large majority of the characters in the game. I can't think of a character who can turn a HITTING tornado into an usmash for a kill around 90%, or really anything similar... Nor can I think of one that can punish missed/shielded upB or glide attack so effectively...

His fall speed, shine stall, and dair allow him to deal with any juggling tactics the MK uses, as well.

Why can't the MK just hit you during the stall? Realistically, you're probably going to only throw him off on the very first shine (afterwards he can and will punish with Tornado, upB, U-air, whatever). It's a nice but situational tool; if you think the MK will U-air you shine stall and barely miss the U-air. But even then, you have to pray that you shine stall quite some frames before he U-airs, otherwise he'll still have frame advantage.
Tornado and upB are already mostly negated. Uair, perhaps...as I have said. It still is a threat, but does not lead to too much reward for MK even upon hit

True. But it's not nearly to the point where being above MK is safe. This isn't true for any character.
Saying it isn't true for any character is not a valid argument that it is not true for Fox... Fox has good options when in the air against MK.. I'm not sure, personally, that it is the real advantage for either character here, but Fox can deal with anything MK has from above... the uair is a good tool here, sure, but if you think the MK is just going to shine the stall, rather than where the Fox would normally go, then a non-stalled Dair will hit, too... Uair has limited attack frames, so he can only cover one real option... saying "MK will just uair the stall" is going into mindgame theory...

Tornado is almost always safe against all but like 3 characters.

Any character can DI out of tornado, and any character can punish MK after they DI out of tornado. It's nothing new. Thing is, because it's not new, MKs have been working around it. They can keep you at the sides initially, making it harder for you to DI out of the tornado. Because of the momentum boost, they can chase your DI out and still punish you from the tornado. If you get out and attempt to D-air, MK can simply go horrizontally and catch you in the tornado again. Grounded, he can catch you and retreat back towards the end to avoid most punishment (except for maybe lasers).
most of the time, your posts are correct, but this is plain wrong... Again, you are using a blanket statement of MK vs the rest of the cast. MK could be able to avoid all damage input against the rest of the cast, but that does not say anything at all about the Fox matchup. Fox has the most efficient anti-tornado tools that I have seen beause he is able to punish the tornado reliably during, or after it, and he can punish upon being hit.

I'm not sure if it is due to Fox's light weight, but he SDI's out much more efficiently than the majority of the cast, putting him directly above the center of the tornado... The only time he can absolutely not punish 'nado is if the MK already has established sideways momentum, at which point, the 'nado does about 2%, and the spacing is reset. If the MK tries to change momentum to avoid attack, he is paused for long enough to land the dair...

This only depends on the timing of Fox's SDI... where the tornado hits you is irrelevant to it

True, but this is assuming that he whiffs a U-air while you're right above him after you shine stall. While it works, it's really situational and often won't work more than once/twice a game/set.
touched upon this above.

If it's in range. An MK with good spacing won't let it be in range. You can't say that your B-air on his shield can't be directly punished (which is true), but his D-tilt, F-smash, B-air (maybe) on your shield will be shield-grabbed.
No no, you are correct, I wasn't clear... I am mainly meaning that a dash shield allows for a small slide past any zoning attacks... moreso than most characters in the game. Fox's dash shield gets a nice boost in sliding, which allows it to slightly push back some zoning... This CAN lead to a shield grab, but it does depend on the zoning attack used, timings, etc... I cannot post with much reliability on this, because I'm not sure of a way to test it, myself... However, I do know that this can work pretty reliably.

It's not a winning situation. It's disadvantageous zoning with some advantageous potential. If he hits your shield with F-smash or D-tilt and you dash shield, during the time it takes for you to get out of shield-stun, drop your shield, dash, and wait until the initial dash is over so you can shield, you can be D-smashed, D-tilted, F-tilted, F-aired, N-aired, grabbed, really anything that's CQC. Sure, if the opponent you're facing is predictable with his CQC options (like he's an MK that panics whenever you're close and just D-smashes all the time), then it works, but you're assuming that the match-up is played by two top level players, and general non-character specific things like reading your opponent shouldn't come into match-up discussion.
I am mainly meaning the the dash shield is first... not a drop shield to dash shield, most of the time.

I meant if it's poorly spaced is the only time you might be able to shield-grab. Even if the MK spaces it not ideally, he can D-smash or do another upB (invincibility on frame 1 when grounded) before you can punish (getting out of shield-stun, then OoS up-smash probably won't beat those options).

I don't have experience actually trying to OoS up-smash an MK that glide attacks my shield. However, when I play against MKs with my Diddy, the only other way that I can beat having to worry about quick frame attacks other than timing a banana throw really well is doing an U-smash ( maybe reverse) and having the hitboxes clank. In my experiences, I've tried shield-grabbing, OoS glide toss backwards, OoS d-tilt, whatever, and I either don't hit him or get hit myself.
Usmash does override everything without the glide attacks proper spacing. I know this one to be true. If the Glide attack is angled down, it is unpunishable upon shield by anything other than perhaps a grab. But if the glide attack is not angled down from a grounded upB or anything, OoS usmash hits it.

If you're out of range of his F-smash and you try to punish on reaction, you won't. The only time you'll probably punish if you don't have hit-stun projectiles is if he F-smashes when you're above him or behind him.
agreed, but if you position yourself above him, he has much less time than normal to uair, so you are more likely to land an attack, shield hit.

Yes because if you're SH-Dairing above him after a glide attack or something and they try to upB, they get hit.

No because, again, it's one of those situational things that rarely happens. MK doesn't only use his upB when you're in short-hop range right above him. He may use it when you're in the air, to punish your laggy attack, when you're shielding or in range grounded in front of him, etc. It comes out on frame 5-6 and grounded, has frame 1 invincibility. It's a really good attack. Just because it isn't safe in a couple of situations doesn't mean it isn't safe overall. Sure, it's usage is diminished a little, but it's still a great move.
Dair clanks with glide attack, and continues attacking, leading to utilt, or whatever it leads to at MK's %... this is what I mean by using Dair to counter upB. If upB is shielded, dodged, or whiffed, A dash SH dair is a guaranteed hit, since MK does not have time to cancel his glide fast enough to stop it.

upB's uses are also limited in the air, since a dair from directly above can hit it...

It's main use in this match will easily be OoS punishing... secondly, edgeguarding... other uses in the match are made so risky that MK usually has a better option.

Yes, Fox can get around parts of some of MKs game that gives other characters a great deal of trouble. He's better than most about dealing with gimps, zones, and key moves, and can get in a few percent and force MK to approach with his lasers.

However, it doesn't matter much. From what I could gather from this thread, the MK boards and this match-up, MK's approach solidly beats your defensive options. He solidly outzones you, beats you frame-wise, and beats you in basically every zone. Sure, Fox can do better than quite a bit at the match-up and get past situational MK things, but they're precisely that: situational. It doesn't matter if MKs shuttle loop doesn't give you much trouble if MK outspaces and outzones you, and can safely approach you.
as I touched on before in this post, outspacing and zoning is something that Fox has even in his advantageous matchups... while it is a tool for MK to use, it does not solely mean that 'lol MK ***** fox'

Curaga

Smash Ace
Fenrir is a champion.

Asides from that, to defend my statements..

I don't understand where the fun is by quoting me and saying: "Think Harder". This is a new match-up thread. Not an old-outdated one. My opinion stays the same, that Fox is above the rest of the cast against Meta Knight. He does not hold an advantage, but in my opinion, neither does MetaKnight over Fox.

If you can see where me, and several other Fox players are coming from in this thread, then you would be also "thinking harder" with us. Fox has the abilities to do extremely well versus an MK.. going through what everyone else has already said is pointless.. but I can still deliver my own opinions based on the facts and knowledge that is being provided.

While a little random, and a little late.. MK's lack of a projectile also means that we get that little extra help in % with our blaster to land that kill move. A good keep away, defensive, punishment game.. and you will be seeing top Fox players doing exceptionally well versus MK mains in the near future.

Do you know Snake, Diddy and ~Wario exist? I almost wasn't going to respond to --^
We can do better. Its our belief, and we're continuously striving to prove it.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Fenrir is a champion.

Asides from that, to defend my statements..

I don't understand where the fun is by quoting me and saying: "Think Harder". This is a new match-up thread. Not an old-outdated one. My opinion stays the same, that Fox is above the rest of the cast against Meta Knight. He does not hold an advantage, but in my opinion, neither does MetaKnight over Fox.

If you can see where me, and several other Fox players are coming from in this thread, then you would be also "thinking harder" with us. Fox has the abilities to do extremely well versus an MK.. going through what everyone else has already said is pointless.. but I can still deliver my own opinions based on the facts and knowledge that is being provided.

While a little random, and a little late.. MK's lack of a projectile also means that we get that little extra help in % with our blaster to land that kill move. A good keep away, defensive, punishment game.. and you will be seeing top Fox players doing exceptionally well versus MK mains in the near future.

We can do better. Its our belief, and we're continuously striving to prove it.
You have got to be kidding me. Have you ever left the Fox boards?
Let me just put it this way, during the MK ban debate, there was constant debate over which characters have an advantage/good match up against MK. Guess how many times Fox came up.
Zero.

Diddy and Snake clearly have a better match up against MK then Fox.

Top Bottom