• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Export #1: Meta Knight | Complete!!

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Guess how many times Fox came up.
Zero.

Diddy and Snake clearly have a better match up against MK then Fox.
Yeah I'm positive they know more about Fox than we do, we are complete idiots after all.

Obviously Fox didn't come up, because for all we know, this is the first time Fox has been discussed as being anywhere near 45:55 in the MK matchup. I don't know if it's a predetermined mindset, but I still don't see one area in which MK can shut us down to make this matchup anywhere close to horrible. The arguments are above.

I personally believe the characters mentioned above DO do well against MK considering, but I still don't understand why Fox can't be included within that group. Pardon us if you thought we were getting too blinded with our claims that Fox may be the best, but even if we believe that we won't let it affect the matchup ratio without sufficient evidence.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
You have got to be kidding me. Have you ever left the Fox boards?
Let me just put it this way, during the MK ban debate, there was constant debate over which characters have an advantage/good match up against MK. Guess how many times Fox came up.
Zero.

Diddy and Snake clearly have a better match up against MK then Fox.
Because nobody mentioned it does not mean it is not true...

fail logic is fail

That is not to say that I necessarily think that Fox is the best MK counter or anything like that.. To be honest, I haven't put too much thought into other characters that I don't play, and their respective MK matchups... For all I know, Bowser could be an uber MK counter... *shrug

But still... yours was a ridiculous argument. l2logic

but even more than that... this is simply the MK Vs. Fox matchup thread... let's keep it to that, and not speculate on other characters, eh?

Virgman

Smash Apprentice
You have got to be kidding me. Have you ever left the Fox boards?
Let me just put it this way, during the MK ban debate, there was constant debate over which characters have an advantage/good match up against MK. Guess how many times Fox came up.
Zero.
Things have to change sometime. Now he's a worthy candidate against MK. What's so hard to believe about that?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Fox didn't come up because otherwise everyone is like "lawls Mid Tier".

Now, please everyone, let's get back on topic, yes?
We're not here to discuss who's the best character against Meta Knight, why Fox wasn't mentioned as even matchup in the Meta Knight Ban-Thread or anything else, we're here to discuss the matchup Fox vs. Meta Knight.
Please read the guidelines I posted in the OP again, just to make sure you talk about the right thing.

The Matchup Export is opened for about a week now, I think we can have the matchup ratio put down as 55:45 in Meta Knight's favour. I'm actually more secure about this than about Fox's matchup with Snake, haha.

With that, I think we can start the in-depth discussion regarding stages, Fox's strategies and everything else.

Palpi

Smash Hero
"I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT FOX THEREFORE HE IS THE BEST CHARACTER AGAINST METAKNIGHT...."

A match up is a concerted effort between x and y character, not people saying you can't beat this when i do this....EVEN MATCH UP!

You are acting as if the metaknight will not adjust to this match up. Metaknight has more than enough tools to shut down fox whether you can beat his shuttle loop, glide attack and tornado or not.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I lol'd @ "l2logic."

The idea that Fox has the best match up against MK is absolutely ridiculous.
I don't care if you know everything about Fox, that doesn't make the match up better.

55/45?

...I'm done.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
And you are acting as if no character, especially not that scrubby helpless silly fluffy guy named Fox, has any chance to win against Meta Knight.

@Melomanical:
Noone ever said Fox is the best choice against Meta Knight, except for Curaga. The fact that many Meta Knight players have been beaten regularly by Foxes is not to be overlooked.
Fox is certainly NOT the best choice against Meta Knight, but simply coming in here and saying "lol u get *****" is not the correct way of discussion. I would like to ask you to leave the discussion if you have nothing to contribute other than "U R WRONG". Thank you very much.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
And you are acting as if no character, especially not that scrubby helpless silly fluffy guy named Fox, has any chance to win against Meta Knight.
No, I'm acting like the idea that Fox has the best match up against MK is laughable.

@Melomanical:
Noone ever said Fox is the best choice against Meta Knight, except for Curaga. The fact that many Meta Knight players have been beaten regularly by Foxes is not to be overlooked.
Fox is certainly NOT the best choice against Meta Knight, but simply coming in here and saying "lol u get *****" is not the correct way of discussion. I would like to ask you to leave the discussion if you have nothing to contribute other than "U R WRONG". Thank you very much.
That's obviously what I'm responding to, because that's what... my responses are.
Don't put words in my mouth.
Or text... on my posts, or something.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Match-ups for the most part should be reflected in tournament matches at the top of both character metagame (Which match-ups are based on) and it is absolutely no where near 55-45 mk.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
"I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT FOX THEREFORE HE IS THE BEST CHARACTER AGAINST METAKNIGHT...."
when was anything like that ever mentioned..? we're not saying he's the best against meta knight nor did we even intend for people to think that, we're clearly just trying to justify the fact Fox and meta knight could possibly be an even match up or close to it

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
@Melo:
First of all, this is the opinion of one single player - that might have also been the statement "I do best against Meta Knight with my Fox". Everyone else has opposed this statement. We said that Fox has good cards against Meta Knight, but I repeat, he is certainly not the best matchup.

And, to repeat, if you have nothing else to contribute but trolling, I'll ask you to leave the discussion now.

Palpi

Smash Hero
This isn't trolling. It is 2 people that are completely flabbergasted by some statements made in this thread and want things cleared up.

I am bad at typing :(

we're clearly just trying to justify the fact Fox and meta knight could possibly be an even match up or close to it
But, you're wrong. Until a fox player plays dojo or tyrant (m2k apparently is too good for match ups.) and beats him in 5 of 10 sets, I can't beleive it is any better than 60:40.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
First of all, this is the opinion of one single player - that might have also been the statement "I do best against Meta Knight with my Fox". Everyone else has opposed this statement. We said that Fox has good cards against Meta Knight, but I repeat, he is certainly not the best matchup.

And, to repeat, if you have nothing else to contribute but trolling, I'll ask you to leave the discussion now.
So I'm not aloud to respond to someone? That's considered trolling?
Honestly, I'm responding to one statement because I think it's ridiculous, and suddenly I'm trolling? Come on, now.

I'll leave now, but seriously. Trolling? Seriously?

Would it be better if I discuss how it's no better than 60:40 MK?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
yeah really...

one player is making that statement... now let's please discuss the rest... there's no need to get derailed because of that.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
So I'm not aloud to respond to someone? That's considered trolling?
Honestly, I'm responding to one statement because I think it's ridiculous, and suddenly I'm trolling? Come on, now.

I'll leave now, but seriously. Trolling? Seriously?

Would it be better if I discuss how it's no better than 60:40 MK?
See my post above.

You quoted our statements that even said "It's NOT the best matchup" and STILL accused us of saying that. That was ONE SINGLE PERSON. You didn't respond to him, otherwise you wouldn't have quoted US.

That is indeed trolling. And the same goes for Palpi, by the way.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Until a fox player plays dojo or tyrant (m2k apparently is too good for match ups.) and beats him in 5 of 10 sets, I can't beleive it is any better than 60:40.
Match-ups for the most part should be reflected in tournament matches at the top of both character metagame (Which match-ups are based on) and it is absolutely no where near 55-45 mk.
And your last paragraph tells me you're just going off what you do or see in tournament. That isn't reliable enough to base a match off of. Have you seen how the top Marth players are doing vs MK's lately? Doesn't matter, MK still has a very clear advantage. The opponent may not be doing the match correctly and I can definitely see Fox's novelty effect having something to do with the outcomes.
So it's impossible to correctly argue this to please everybody...

Anyways, I stand by what I said before. You can make points against me, and such, but please make it more than 'lol no wai MK ***** fox'

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
See my post above.

You quoted our statements that even said "It's NOT the best matchup" and STILL accused us of saying that. That was ONE SINGLE PERSON. You didn't respond to him, otherwise you wouldn't have quoted US.

That is indeed trolling. And the same goes for Palpi, by the way.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8175745&postcount=40
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8165640&postcount=30

These are the only posts where I'm quoting someone (other than you, obviously). Hey! Look at that! Who am I quoting? *GASP*
CURAGA!

Seriously, are you even reading my posts?

That is 100% not trolling. Please, don't make things up. I quoted and responded to one person, and somehow that means I'm trolling everyone. Come on.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Tornado and upB are already mostly negated. Uair, perhaps...as I have said. It still is a threat, but does not lead to too much reward for MK even upon hit
I don't see how you say Tornado is negated. I've been saying that good MKs won't sit in one spot when you SDI above and let you D-air from the center. They're going to try to keep you trapped in the sides so you have to SDI longer to get in the center and above. If you're DIing, they're going to go up or to the sides respectively to follow your DI, or go to the sides to avoid a D-air. Very, very rarely should you get a D-air to contact if you're stuck in tornado by a good MK.

You've just been saying the generic blank statement, "D-air beats Tornado."

upB is too quick to punish on reaction. I understand punishing grounded ones, but not aerial ones.

MK has more options when he's below you than you do when you're above him. He can still U-air trap you; you didn't really touch on the, "MK can U-air you if you shine stall and you can only really throw him off with the first shine otherwise you get hit." He could U-air you from max range and hit either of your bottom corners of the U-air; that way, even if it misses and you try to D-air him or something, MK can be safe and retaliate.

tl;dr:

D-air beats Tornado from directly above, but MK has the tools to chase your SDI or drift away if you SDI out, making an aerial Tornado safe.

D-air beats Shuttle Loop, but aerial shuttle loops aren't punishable on reaction unless they're far away (and that wouldn't be an ideal time to shuttle loop). It's still a valid threat.

Shine stall can throw off U-air, but MK still has a number of safe options in that situation while still being able to attack Fox.

Fox has limited options above MK. It's not an advantageous situation.

Saying it isn't true for any character is not a valid argument that it is not true for Fox... Fox has good options when in the air against MK.. I'm not sure, personally, that it is the real advantage for either character here, but Fox can deal with anything MK has from above... the uair is a good tool here, sure, but if you think the MK is just going to shine the stall, rather than where the Fox would normally go, then a non-stalled Dair will hit, too... Uair has limited attack frames, so he can only cover one real option... saying "MK will just uair the stall" is going into mindgame theory...
It wasn't an argument, it was just a statement.

As I said, MK would probably attack where you'd normally go instead of the stall the first couple of times it's used, and you can D-air him. After that, he could catch on, and either wait for a second stall and punish, space himself so even if he misses he's unpunishable, or predict that you'll shine stall and hit you where you'll stall (although there's a risk of being D-aired). And that's just with one aerial. He could mix shuttle loops in there and Mach Tornados (not right below you, but more to the sides) and be unpunishable.

MK probably won't U-air the first stall. The second, he can probably retaliate with something like upB or U-air. Saying, "Oh, MK will just U-air your first stall," is ignorant and pretty much untrue. However, MK has more options below you than you do above him. And MK has safe options below you that can still hit you, while your options above him (air-dodging, n-airing, d-airing, shine stall) all run some risk.

most of the time, your posts are correct, but this is plain wrong... Again, you are using a blanket statement of MK vs the rest of the cast. MK could be able to avoid all damage input against the rest of the cast, but that does not say anything at all about the Fox matchup. Fox has the most efficient anti-tornado tools that I have seen beause he is able to punish the tornado reliably during, or after it, and he can punish upon being hit.

I'm not sure if it is due to Fox's light weight, but he SDI's out much more efficiently than the majority of the cast, putting him directly above the center of the tornado... The only time he can absolutely not punish 'nado is if the MK already has established sideways momentum, at which point, the 'nado does about 2%, and the spacing is reset. If the MK tries to change momentum to avoid attack, he is paused for long enough to land the dair...

This only depends on the timing of Fox's SDI... where the tornado hits you is irrelevant to it
Again, the statement wasn't an argument, just a statement. I said the statement because many characters have the tools Fox has to punish a Tornado, which are SDI and an attack that can hit downwards through it. But there's a reason that you see Tornado still being able to be effectively used on these characters, despite the fact that they beat the move on paper.

Fox's anti-MK tools are D-air and SDIing (relates to D-air), both of which MK can avoid altogether. Sure, Fox can SDI above the center, that's been said. But MK can drift one way or another to put you back in the sides. Very rarely will you be in the center. MK has sideways momentum from Tornado very shortly after start-up, so it's pretty safe.

While where the Tornado hits doesn't matter to how much you can SDI, it matters to how you can get out. If he hits you with the top, it's easy to SDI to the top and D-air. If he hits you with the right side and you're trying to SDI to the top, it takes longer. And then if he's drifiting to the left side and is going up as you're trying to SDI left and up, it's going to be extremely hard, if not nearly impossible, to get out of the Tornado.

Usmash does override everything without the glide attacks proper spacing. I know this one to be true. If the Glide attack is angled down, it is unpunishable upon shield by anything other than perhaps a grab. But if the glide attack is not angled down from a grounded upB or anything, OoS usmash hits it.
I'll believe you then.

But since he has a way to avoid it, it doesn't help the overall match-up, it's just something to know against MKs without good Fox experience.

agreed, but if you position yourself above him, he has much less time than normal to uair, so you are more likely to land an attack, shield hit.
This is assuming that for whatever reason, you're going to be above him while he F-smashes.

Things like this don't happen.

If he F-smashes and you're in front of him, you don't have the frame time to jump over and hit him. And an MK won't F-smash when you're above him. It's like saying that a Fox would F-smash forward when MK is behind him. It just wouldn't happen. It doesn't matter if Fox can beat him in a situation that can never happen, if the situation can never happen.

It seems like you're bringing a lot of highly situational things to the table, such as an MK not DIing his tornado or using other attacks when you're above him, or him F-smashing when you're above him, or him spacing attacks badly, etc.

Dair clanks with glide attack, and continues attacking, leading to utilt, or whatever it leads to at MK's %... this is what I mean by using Dair to counter upB. If upB is shielded, dodged, or whiffed, A dash SH dair is a guaranteed hit, since MK does not have time to cancel his glide fast enough to stop it.
K.

upB's uses are also limited in the air, since a dair from directly above can hit it...
You can't punish aerial upB on reaction with D-air. A SH D-air above him will prevent him from upBing, but he could always wait or choose a different attack.

as I touched on before in this post, outspacing and zoning is something that Fox has even in his advantageous matchups... while it is a tool for MK to use, it does not solely mean that 'lol MK ***** fox'
It seems as more compelling evidence to suggest that he wins the match-up quite solidly, though. No it doesn't solely mean that he beats him. However, it really helps his side. He has a viable, safe approach against you. You don't against him. He beats you when you're above him, slightly beats you off-stage, beats you in most zones really, and has faster frame CQC and aerial attacks with more range to punish vs. yours.

Sure, Fox can win situational things like beating his upB and glide attack. However, MK can do without using that altogether (even though he doesn't have to). Overall, MK has a much more safe approach and kill options, and that's huge.

edit: going to eat, however.

Before you can solidly tack on a match-up number, you have to look at everything that's said and the weight of those things. Fox vs. MK being 55:45? If I read this thread from an outside source, I wouldn't believe it, namely for two reasons.

1) Lack of MK mains in the thread.
2) Arguments

The arguments really aren't finished at all, and there's like one person on either side saying anything notable on the match-up (me and Fenrir, essentially).

I'm honestly going to say that I don't see how a match-up can be 55:45 when the character with 45 gets outzoned, outspaced, can't approach the other character, can be approached safely by the other character, and just about loses in every major notable aspect.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8175745&postcount=40
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8165640&postcount=30

These are the only posts where I'm quoting someone (other than you, obviously). Hey! Look at that! Who am I quoting? *GASP*
CURAGA!

Seriously, are you even reading my posts?

That is 100% not trolling. Please, don't make things up. I quoted and responded to one person, and somehow that means I'm trolling everyone. Come on.
This is my last post in regards to this. You (and Palpi) haven't really contributed anything to the topic. The only person who does contribute from the side opposing an close to even matchup are AvaricePanda and Steel a little, and I appreciate their input a lot, since they actually bring arguments to the table, not only "olol, that's no way better than 60:40".

Read the first 2 points in my guidelines in the OP:
* Keep a proper wording,
don't insult or yell at the other people discussing inside of this thread.
Although that shouldn't even be mentioned, I've seen it happen.

* Match-Up ratios are fairly subjective.
However, please don't overrate or underestimate a character.
Stuff like "lol, X can't do anything, RAEP!" is not going to aid us in our discussion.
We have had a very good Meta Knight main (TKD) give us his input on the matchup, and that stands more than those of you two. Really, you didn't even bring any real arguments in here.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
That's fine by me, just for the love of god don't put words in my mouth and make **** up to accuse me of trolling.

And on that, I'm done.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Once again, Tornado and UpB are both beaten out, for the most part, by Dair. Tornado is almost completely taken out of this matchup, assuming Fox knows that he can SDI... so while they **** the majority, they are not smart vs. a Fox player. UpB, I can understand, as it is still situationally good, but more risky than against most chars.

As said before, One or two Bair hits remove MK's shield for a little while... Even if NOTHING else is working... the MK never gets hit by bair or dair... and never falls for dash shield, once his shield is hit by one or two bairs, Dair pokes it, leading to anything you want. While this of course won't be guaranteed, it applies reverse pressure to MK as well...
And this is completely disregarding the application of things such as dash shield, which apply a good amount of risk to MK's zoning game... you can get inside ftilt and fair/bair with this... if nothing else, leading to MK having to retreat, putting more pressure onto him..
Tornado this tornado that, I'm saying Fox can't reliably aerial approach without there being a chance of MK intercepting it.

You are still falling back on dair even though I explained MK can just walk/roll forward or backward to completely avoid it. I'm not sure how you plan to reliably pressure with bair, but no matter how much shield pressure you apply, dair is not a good approach.

Dash to shield is legit, but you can't abuse it obviously. There are ways to punish it/nullify the approach. Also Fox's lack of good pokes is a problem here, as you can't just put something out against MK without fear of being hit anyway due to his transcendent priority.

Fenrir, anyone, what methods of attacking does Fox have that can RELIABLY rack up damage on MK? The only thing I can think of is run away and laser (which btw, isn't good at controlling space). Fox doesn't have the tools to take and maintain control in this match. Fox has a gun and mediocre pokes, MK has far better pokes and is a faster attacker. How is this match even?

Curaga

Smash Ace
Haha. I'm sorry that my opinion is causing a stir.

But it really just is an opinion, and all I've really meant to put out there was that Fox's metagame has improved dramatically to allow him to stand up proudly to an MK. To help further promote the discussion and excite the minds of other Fox mains, I just wanted to write it out so that we can continue to push our reasonings on why Fox has climbed to where he is realistically now.

And.. yeah.. when is Fox ever brought up in an MK discussion outside of these boards? Not really ever. That could very well change when this thread comes to its conclusion.

So, in my own personal opinion, to not say as absolute truth for everyone else: Fox is almost even with MK. He's not at an advantage at all, and he's probably still at a slight disadvantage. So for me, I can't think of a much better character to take him on with; for me personally.

Fenrir, anyone, what methods of attacking does Fox have that can RELIABLY rack up damage on MK? The only thing I can think of is run away and laser (which btw, isn't good at controlling space). Fox doesn't have the tools to take and maintain control in this match. Fox has a gun and mediocre pokes, MK has far better pokes and is a faster attacker. How is this match even?
Well yeah, there is laser.. but it is what it is.. Fox laser. Its just there to add on very little %. Up-tilts do a phenominal job on MKs at low percents. The rest of the % leading to the kill in my opinion is gained through defensive means. Just throwing little bits of damage at a time through use of grabs, tilts, lasers; and then just zoning/running/camping until we get closer to that kill %. That is how it usually turns out from my perspective. Defense, defense, defense, after we get them mid-life is what I usually see.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I'm pretty sure you can SH -> Uair MK if you shield/perfect shield his Up-B (while you're on the ground, of course).

*shrug* Just some random info.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Well yeah, there is laser.. but it is what it is.. Fox laser. Its just there to add on very little %. Up-tilts do a phenominal job on MKs at low percents. The rest of the % leading to the kill in my opinion is gained through defensive means. Just throwing little bits of damage at a time through use of grabs, tilts, lasers; and then just zoning/running/camping until we get closer to that kill %. That is how it usually turns out from my perspective. Defense, defense, defense, after we get them mid-life is what I usually see.
Uh, what defense? Again, there is lasers and mobility. The lasers don't even stun so your camping ability is limited as you can't control space well. You're also going to run out of room to run eventually. Tilts? Grabs? How are you hitting with these? Fox doesn't have the tools up close and he doesn't have the tools to camp effectively.

There is also no reliable way to land the up tilt combos.

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
I put this on Xiivi's thread so i'll just drop it here now

Aerial Game: MK beats Fox in the air by alot. MK's aerial manuverability is crazy and shouldn't be challenged. Usually MK's dont use bair so you dont have to worry about that. Stay away from his fair, it starts up all the nonsense he has with his combos. Dair is some thing he will use to edge guard you with and it really ***** firefox so think before you recover. Uair is what it is, his fastest aerial which is used majority of the time and it combos into itself if you dont DI it correctly. If you decide to play the air too much and shine stall MK's will just punish with Shuttle Loop and we all know how gay that move gets when it hits fox so stay away from getting gayed. Fox has some type of answer to MK's aerial game, fox has a sick aerial game too. The problem is getting to connect the moves. His uair can be used as a kill shot and is one of the best kill shot options against MK. Catching im with dair or fair is always great for racking up major damage. Bair is also a great KO move but considering the fact MK is small it's not so easy to hit him with it.

Summary: Stay out the air for a long time, MK is just gay and can do whatever he wants. Read your opponent well and catch them with a fair here and a dair there. Don't spam an aerial, MK can punish you so hard for that. Read your opponent and space extremely well and you'll be alright.

Laser Technique: SHDL MK's who abuse there jumps
Laser Technique: Standing Laser MK's who won't leave the ground

Stage Striking: Lylat, Smashville

Stage Banning: Rainbow, Delfino

Stage CP'ing: Final D., Yoshi's, PS 1

Frame Data:

These are the moves I feel we need to know by frame data, so we know what to stay away from and what we can challenge

Meta-Knight!!! aka Get-A-Life!!!

Nair Frame 3
Uair Frame 2
Dair Frame 4
Fair (1st hit)Frame 6 (2nd hit)Frame 10 (3rd hit)Frame 13

Fsmash Frame 24
Dsmash Frame 5

Dtilt Frame 3
Ftilt (1st hit)Frame 3 (2nd hit)Frame 12 (3rd hit)Frame 21

Aerial Up-B Frame 8
Grounded Up-B Frame 8 (Invincibility frames 5-8)
Neu. B Frame 12
For. B Frame ???

Glide Attack Frame 5

Video:
718R00kie(Fox) vs. MK
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7A6B3F22DD26B93F

Match Up Ratio 65-35 Meta Knight

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Thank you rookie.

Onishiba how did you put up the freaking ratio before anything was even discussed? I know you said it cam change, but come on dude. This community needs ACCURACY. This match can't be any better than 65/35 tbqh.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
It will stay there for only a week if it is indeed incorrect, and if the ratio is proven wrong, then it will simply change to the corrected one. It's only in this thread so far, and the chart will not have the temporary ratio on it.
This is only a base to go from.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Moogle told me he had some close matches with Teba at Genesis. Said he got ***** offstage though. <_<

Btw, Rookie, those video links aren't correct.

etecoon

Smash Hero
fox doesn't really have good tools for dealing with meta knight, he relies much on baiting and punishing and meta knight thrives on...making himself near unpunishable. sure you'll get in a dash attack here, a few blaster shots there, but fox can't really get in on meta knight to do real damage with things like utilt chain or to kill early with usmash, while meta knight has no problem safely approaching fox, zoning him into a bad position, and exploiting his lack of options from said position, or just turtling forever. meta knight completely controls the pace of battle in this matchup. fox does have some ways of getting chip damage as I mentioned, but I think a really huge problem for him is landing kill moves, he has good ones in terms of power but they are very difficult to land on meta knight while fox himself can be trapped and he dies rather early.

fox does have some gimmicks that may give him an edge against the inexperienced, and obviously the average fox will have a lot more experience in this MU than the average MK, there is a novelty factor here, but give MK time to figure it all out and it is significantly in his favor....just standard "play safe" style works pretty well without even taking into account most of fox's attributes. I do think fox can do ok vs the typical "ima aggro the **** out of you because I'm meta knight" meta knight, but one that just patiently spaces themselves so they can't be punished while most of what you do can be? fox doesn't have reliable methods of dealing with meta knight's range and safety, and when he does get in he can't make it count for as much as he needs to.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Even at this rate, there's like 3 people who believe it's 55:45, and only one has been providing any decent arguments.

Compared to the people who think it's 60:40 or 65:35 at the very best (and their arguments), I don't see how the temporary match-up ratio is 55:45. If anything it'd be 60:40, but it really doesn't matter. I don't see the usefulness at all of a temporary ratio anyway, especially when the match-up is in debate. It's going to have more people focus on the number instead of the actual match-up. Until there's a somewhat clear-cut decision either way, there shouldn't be a temporary match-up ratio.

etecoon

Smash Hero
numbers are pretty sketchy especially with the increments of 5 being standard and if you got more specific then it would be even more subjective, however, I believe 45:55 would be ABSURD as that would make fox vs meta knight the equal of snake, diddy, and ice climbers vs meta knight(although again, silly increments of 5, I think IC's are the only ones truly that close), and those are all clearly much harder matchups for MK than fox.

Curaga

Smash Ace
I would be throwing down all kinds of detail if I were any good at explaining these types of things; I can only show what I mean through video and since I'm backed up on Herb2 vids thats going to take a while. =(

When I say "defensive".. I imply how any player would be defensive..? Don't approach? Counter/punish/shield grab? The opposite of offensive. XD If Fox went all out offense against MK then sure.. I can see the match up being somewhere like 30:70..

My main point is.. its a little silly to assume that since the last match-up, considering the amount of knowledge that the Fox community has unearthed, as well as the amount of time that has past since the last match-up discussion.. that things would stay the exact same. Wouldn't it?

Even if by just a 5 point increase Fox has evolved to be more prominent in the competetive scene. I think in this match-up more-so. But thats just my 2 cents. :3

And all numbers imply is just win to lose ratio right? Implying that if the match is 40/60, two players of equal skill would have 4/6 wins/losses out of 10 matches? That's how I'm seeing things.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
And all numbers imply is just win to lose ratio right? Implying that if the match is 40/60, two players of equal skill would have 4/6 wins/losses out of 10 matches? That's how I'm seeing things.
Somehow I don't see M2K losing 4 out of 10 matches against any Fox.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
That's actually not how matchup numbers work as far as our discussion is concerned. We're speaking of it in terms of advantages.

Top Bottom