• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do NOT upgrade your Wii to 4.2 through Nintendo -- Safe Update!

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
The guys at Team Twiizers have released HackMii beta 5, which will work on 4.2, but they still recommend NOT upgrading. They explained that Nintendo's boot2 upgrade sometimes causes bricks on Wii's that are innocent and they are deleting replies that bash Nintendo as a result. Darn Nintendo. Anyway, please don't update through Nintendo, use a safe updater like this one instead.

I AM NOT GOING TO LINK YOU, AND NONE OF YOU LINK TO HOMEBREW-RELATED SITES OR DISCUSS IT, GOOGLE IT OR GTFO

If you are already on 4.2 by accident, the new installer will work. BUT YOU MIGHT BRICK.

If you want to upgrade to 4.2 (why?), use the installer before the System Update.

If you are at 4.1 or below, STAY. DON'T UPGRADE ANYWAY. IF YOU DO, NOT THROUGH NINTENDO.

If you've been affected and/or bricked, please read: http://kotaku.com/5372065/wii-update-42-is-killing-wiis-dead (Thanks Xyro!)

Update about New Super Mario Bros and updating:
Attention!

NSMB Wii will NOT update your wii to 4.2!

I tried it myself. I bought a CD, played it when my wii was 4.0, it told me to make a system update. It was like dropping a 100-ton brick on my anticipation, but I wasn't going to let some silly update prevent me from playing my new game, so I made a backup of my wii using BootMii, and was prepared to use Brawl to reinstall the HBC (or use Gecko through brawl, either way works), and updated.

However, I didn't go to 4.2. I checked the Wii Settings and I was at 4.1! NSMB Wii will force you to update, that is true. But not by going through WiFi or internet! The Update is inside the CD itself. If you get a message to update your Wii, update it through the Disc Channel instead of going to system update. You will be able to play NSMBW with 4.1, and I know I am able to (currently at world 8-7 after using warp cannons lol). I think they got the message that 4.2 sucks **** after it bricked so many innocent Wiis, either that or NSMBW was released too soon after 4.2.

I'm still perfectly able to use music and texture hacks alongside with BBrawl, and also enjoy NSMBW at the same time.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Lol @ Wiibrew, "Updating is safe if you're a pirate".

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Stack Smash and Indiana Pwns are confirmed working.

Bannerbomb and BootMii are now dead in 4.2.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
No problem, be sure to bump this topic (until it gets a sticky), or the AiB blog post.

j0s3ph

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the news, as a rule I never update since I installed homebrew but now I can warn my friends who have it too

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Ha...! The twiizers found a way to work around all of Ninty's bulls**t in the past. I'm sure this won't be any different.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Of course, they're friggin Team Twiizers.

StackSmash luckily is impatchable unless Nintendo decides to sell updated discs, then again people already have millions of copies.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Well, most of us have done some utterly shameful things with homebrew, but thanks for the warning. Good thing I never even bothered to set up wiiconnect24.

Edit: Will I be forced to update if I try to use the Wii shop channel?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
*shakes fist*

Good thing I don't plan on updating past 4.1 (since I accidentally updated it to that when getting the homebrew on it in the first place). And I'll refuse to play any games with a forced 4.2 patch, unless I rip the update out myself.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Ugh, you know NSMB for Wii is going to force us to update. I hope there's a fix by then.

Then again, these are haxxorz we're dealing with. There will probably be a fix within the next couple of hours lol

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Waninkoko might make an update-to-4.2-by-homebrew for those of us that don't want our stuff deleted, then again we'd lose Bannerbomb anyways, and I'm not even sure what 4.2 has that people would want it for.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Oh great, I better hope I don't have to update when I get Puyo Puyo 7, (which is a Japanese game).

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Japanese updates on a non-Japanese console can brick a Wii.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
More importantly, thank goodness we have ready exploits unlike 4.0...

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Why would you update anyway? If you're using homebrew in any form, you should know to never update until a safe hacked version is released.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Why would you update anyway? If you're using homebrew in any form, you should know to never update until a safe hacked version is released.
People are dumb.

And wow, they really went all-out on this one. Removing Boot2 hacks? Madness.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
As leafgreen stated in the B+ IRC, I expected them to remove Bannerbomb...but BootMii?

Top Bottom