• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do NOT upgrade your Wii to 4.2 through Nintendo -- Safe Update!

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
No, that is done with patching IOS60, which is no longer being used by 4.2.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, you know NSMB for Wii is going to force us to update. I hope there's a fix by then.

Then again, these are haxxorz we're dealing with. There will probably be a fix within the next couple of hours lol
This was Nintendo's primary mistake. Giving us time. Say Wii 4.2 was released the day before NSMB Wii was released, or christmas perhaps. That would be much better for eliminating hackers.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Wow. This is insane, thank God I updated to 4.1 when I did. Thanks again for the help Bionic Sonic!

What does this mean for the future of soft-modding/homebrew? Will we be able to bypass this as we have in the past? I'm surprised they went so far as to remove BootMii, it serves to backup the Wii. It's not like BootMii installs wads, or anything illegal. It's stupid.

I hate Nintendo.

The only reason I got a Wii in the first place is because of Smash Brothers.

EDIT:

What's a "NSMB Wii?"

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Soft-modding/Homebrew will go on. Twiizers will find a hole, Nintendo patches it, twiizers finds another hole, Nintendo patches it, the cycle goes on and on.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Sad thing is, Nintendo can go through all this trouble to try and prevent hacking, but cant doesnt want to add any additional features to games, and or patch them. Pathetic...

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
The big thing with Twilight Princess, and likely Smash Bros Brawl, is because they realize it's useless to patch it because MILLIONS of copies have been sold already.

Edit: Unbelievable. No matter where and when you got it, from launch day or today, if you update to 4.2, you essentially get a boot2v4 Wii that CANNOT be downgraded or will brick your Wii. Every Wii is now an LU64+.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Don't new games come with an update? So unless the hackers find another hole, you can't get new games?

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
I had my wii connect 24 on, but I was on the shop channel, so I don't think I got updated. Thank goodness for the shop channel.
I had it on and turned it off. If you turn it off and go onto the shop channel and it tells you to update, you're fine (be sure to ignore the update though!).

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I think after 4.0 was released it took them 5-8 weeks to put 4.0 onto new games, before that was 3.4.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
I coulda swore there was a way to play new games without updating, but i cant remember where it was.....

kupo15

Smash Hero
If you update your wii with HBC, will it just remove it and you will have a normal wii? What about Wad games? Will they be gone or will Nintendo recognize them as Wads and brick your wii?

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
If you update your wii with HBC, will it just remove it and you will have a normal wii? What about Wad games? Will they be gone or will Nintendo recognize them as Wads and brick your wii?
Normal Wii. WAD games gone most likely.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
Don't new games come with an update? So unless the hackers find another hole, you can't get new games?
You can mod your system menu to ignore updates, and then install only the requires IOSs manually.

sonictailslink

Smash Journeyman
Henderson & Downtown Express, Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the notice. I would probably receive a message from the WiiConnect24 sometime in the middle of the night for a new upgrade to 4.2. I would of probably done it. Now I know not to update. Right now I have my Wii unplugged but when I plug it back in tomorrow, I better turn off the WiiConnect24 asap

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Installing a System Menu 4.2 without IOS70 = brick

Installing IOS70 by itself = useless

Nintendo Wii System Update = removes homebrew + IOS222/223/249/250

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Sad thing is, Nintendo can go through all this trouble to try and prevent hacking, but cant doesnt want to add any additional features to games, and or patch them. Pathetic...
my exact thoughts on nintendo right now. wtf step up your games and/or try to fix old ones before trying to stop hackers. also glad that the only hack i use is bbrawl with stack smash LOL

mofo_

Smash Ace
omg how can they upgrade automatically if i have wiiconnect24 on, i thought theyre not allowed to do that! AHHHH * runs to go turn off wc24 *

metaXzero

Smash Champion
IIRC, they updated the notice to say they could automatically update Wiis back with 4.0. But they actually haven't done so yet.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
IIRC, they updated the notice to say they could automatically update Wiis back with 4.0. But they actually haven't done so yet.
Any source for this?

If so, I think the downgrade might only apply to IOS's lol

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Hmm, Isn't there an option in Preloader to make sure you don't have to update in order to play a game like NSMB?

jose90mp

Smash Rookie
Hmm, When I get my copy of TvsC (Janurary), as long as I load it through GeckoOS it should run fine?

Top Bottom