• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tutorial: Editing Vertices! ~Gallery Updated (2/8/10)~

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
For a long time, people have ben using partial size mods, and even removing parts. Well, i found a way we can edit verticies!
Here is a small pic of what it can do.

its a fail roy i made. you can see that his hair and face is different, and i moved his tiara to be a headband. this is costume specific too, as you can see regular marth there.

DOWNLOAD THESE(UPDATED: 1234 to 4321.exe runs a LOT faster now):
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=923825a38d1cc4fa931c7453395df025fbf71e74b1fbc142f7e866bfb1230ce0

Video tutorial :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mr1ulk0m20

1. chose the polygon you want to edit, and find it in brawlbox. open the verttemp.obj, and copy the number of verticies, and add to the lines to make the same amount:

2. export the mdl0 of in brawlbox, and export the vertex group as well.

3. rename the vertex group you export, and name it test.bin put it in the same directory as 1234 to 4321.exe.

4. run 1234 to 4321.exe. when the screen turns white, close it, and open out.bin in a hex editor

5. delete the fisrt 4 lines (the ones not colored. should be 64 bytes)

then scroll to the bottom, and delete any groups of 0's that are in 4 byte chuncks. only at the end.

6. copy whats left, and open the vettemp.obj in anim8or, or another 3d modeller (anim8or reccomended)

7. click export, and export it in .3ds format

8. open the .3ds in a new window of a hex editor, and find this spot:

the first highlighted number is where you paste your data. the circled number is equal to the number of verticies in hex. the fist byte after the paste usually reads "11"

9. save and load in anim8or

10 zoom in and change views if necessary, but if point edit mode, and vertex view arent selected, you will not see your model (you cant see vertex points in zoom mode, so you have to guess and check.)

11. DO NOT DELETE OR ADD POINTS. whith this method, you can only alter where they go. keep i mind that face assignments stay the same.

12. after you are done, export the model as a .3ds

13. open the .3ds in a hex editor, and go to the same spot where you paste the data, and highlight the same amount as what was originally pasted.

14.export the selected data, and overwrite test.bin

15. repeat step 4

16. open the mdl0 in a hex editor, and go to the offset of the vertex group

17. move down 64 bytes, and paste everything in out.bin

18. save and replace with the new mdl0

so what do you guys think?

EXTRA STEPS FOR FACES:

Before starting to edit your vertices, extract a copy of the mdl0 and do the same procedure of deleting all the model parts except for the one you are editing.
instead of changing the numbers to 0's, change them to 42F00000. this puts all the vertices for unused parts at 120 120 120 or something.
save the MDL0, convert it with William's converter, and use meshlab to convert it to .3ds

Now, open you vertices model (the one you make in this tut, not the one made with will's converter)
go to model, import, now import the 3ds from meshlab. change the view to Top
next select the model (not in vertex mode) DO NOT MOVE IT, ROTATE IT, OR RESIZE IT.
go to build, mirror. mirror on the X axis.
delete the non mirrored copy, without moving, rotating, or resizing the mirrored one.
now, select the mirroed one, hit control x and go to object, and select the first model there. this should be the vertex one. just paste now.
The william's converted model, should match up with vertices for the model converted through my method. now when moving points, only use the group select too, and not the individual point select, because it wont move the vertices together. follow the rest of the guide after this...

If deleting the model after mirroring is hard, before mirroring it, hit left 10 times, to move it left, then without changing any camera things, or window size, mirror it, delete the origingal, highlight the mirrored one, and hit left 10 times again to move it to the center

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Gallery

Roy (by me)

HYPE?
it's still not done yet, but i'm gonna probably take a look at his sword and arms (remove the bump from marth's gloves) probably his armor too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78T3AB6ppTg
Roy is in. I haz dem :3
DL link:ROYZ OUR BOI!

Melee Falco (by me)

Well, atleast the head
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=923825a38d1cc4fa931c7453395df0252acaec913bd6d9dc935cbde7375ca78c

Fox Marth (by me)

Just marth as a fox. We can make different species ya know :3
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=923825a38d1cc4fa931c7453395df0252acaec913bd6d9dc935cbde7375ca78c

Another Dimension Link (by Akari Un)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=71EAJGBN

Cloud Strife (by jackharvest)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=264300
Want to share? PM me :)

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
This is godly, awesome job on the Roy ^____^
But is it me, or does his head look... tiny?

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
This is godly, awesome job on the Roy ^____^
But is it me, or does his head look... tiny?
yeah... i decided to make it a bit shorter... and shorter hair probably makes it look smaller too.
I'm not sure what to make next... im thinking possibly mewtwo, or pichu.... i have no clue...
hmm... well, expecially editing simple things like swords or bats could be changed into compleatley different things. this can also help with part editing possibly.
something i want to test is adjusting characters to look more normal during moveswaps

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Whoever can tell me how the polygon section works, gets a cookie :D
I want to know this, so i can implement having faces while editing (not to edit faces)
it's easier to edit a model with faces, than to edit one without faces

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
yeah... i decided to make it a bit shorter... and shorter hair probably makes it look smaller too.
I'm not sure what to make next... im thinking possibly mewtwo, or pichu.... i have no clue...
hmm... well, expecially editing simple things like swords or bats could be changed into compleatley different things. this can also help with part editing possibly.
something i want to test is adjusting characters to look more normal during moveswaps
Go for Mewtwo :).

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Go for Mewtwo :).
I might, but right now im working on finding an easier way to do this
i found that using 3d Printscreen, the format is easy to crack. you can open it into a text editor. i will try and make a convertor for it. then we will have faces

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Well, I'm having problems with this, but it was probably me who did something wrong and not your method. I'll try it on something... more simple than Pikachu :U

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Well, I'm having problems with this, but it was probably me who did something wrong and not your method. I'll try it on something... more simple than Pikachu :U
it might be better to try on something less detailed to start off, but im making a simpler way. did the vertexes show up properly?

pokelover980

Smash Ace
it might be better to try on something less detailed to start off, but im making a simpler way. did the vertexes show up properly?
I didn't even get it to open :U

I'm trying TL's sword right now, and it works for the most part. I'll tell if it works when I'm done :p

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Im working on a converter for 3d printscreen. and i might be able to speed up 1234 to 4321.exe. i forgot since i made it with game maker, it has limited FPS, and i can speed that up lol

EDIT:Update for 1234 to 4321.exe in OP

Eldiran

Smash Lord
WAT
Eldiran+Model Hax+SKILL+Zero PSA= ZERO MODEL HACK
Haha, we'll see. I haven't decided quite yet what I'm going to use this on.

@fortwaffles: I'm afraid I've gotten hung up on step 7. I am using Vista to run Anim8or v095c. It behaves glitchily -- it's hard to get it to display the grid properly. Anyway, when I hit export as a .3ds I end up with a very small file containing only these lines:

Code:
4D4D2A00000002000A00000003000000
3D3D1A0000003E3D0A00000003000000
00010A0000000000803F
I'm unsure where I ought to place my vertex info, or why I don't get a decent file out. Is there another animating program you might recommend?

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Haha, we'll see. I haven't decided quite yet what I'm going to use this on.

@fortwaffles: I'm afraid I've gotten hung up on step 7. I am using Vista to run Anim8or v095c. It behaves glitchily -- it's hard to get it to display the grid properly. Anyway, when I hit export as a .3ds I end up with a very small file containing only these lines:

Code:
4D4D2A00000002000A00000003000000
3D3D1A0000003E3D0A00000003000000
00010A0000000000803F
I'm unsure where I ought to place my vertex info, or why I don't get a decent file out. Is there another animating program you might recommend?
that looks afully small. remember you cannot delete or add vertecies, and im not sure about other editors. they should work, but finding the spot to put the values or copying them might be different. it should be near the beginning right after the bytes defining number of vertecies. this is hexed and swapped, so if you had 574 verts, it would be 023e in hex, but in the 3ds it is 3e02 the data after that is the spot you copy/paste (depending what step you r on) also, remember to delete excess 0's in groups of 8 at the END of what you are PASTING
ex:
12 34 12 44 12 44 41 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11
22 22 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Delete what's in the green, the red 0's stay because they arn't in a group of 8

aaaaand... i hit a speed bump with conversion. so no faces...

Does anyone have William's converter?

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
You can download Pharrox's converter in the Model Extractor thread. Also, I just wanted to let you know you spelled vertices wrong in the title. Just saying...
I have tried pharrox's converter, but it gives me messed up polygons. plus, william's converter doesnt move the vertices to bones, because that messes it up... unless you know how to get the models to show up not broken... i used AIS 1.3 if that helps
Edit: idk how to change vertecies to vertices in the OP lol ><

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
I have tried pharrox's converter, but it gives me messed up polygons. plus, william's converter doesnt move the vertices to bones, because that messes it up... unless you know how to get the models to show up not broken... i used AIS 1.3 if that helps
Edit: idk how to change vertecies to vertices in the OP lol ><
Hmm...I thought those errors were fixed in the newest version of the extractor (in the third post of the thread). I found the thread very late, and I haven't even tried it yet (even though I've had it for a long time), but I thought it was supposed to be better than William's converter.

To change the title you would edit the title at the top. (Or, is that not working for you for some reason?)

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Hmm...I thought those errors were fixed in the newest version of the extractor (in the third post of the thread). I found the thread very late, and I haven't even tried it yet (even though I've had it for a long time), but I thought it was supposed to be better than William's converter.

To change the title you would edit the title at the top. (Or, is that not working for you for some reason?)
i hit edit post, and it only let me edit the post. >< I got AIS 1.3 from page 13, but it's the same...

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
Great guide, thanks for making it. I'm glad you're not one of those people that keeps things secret like Vile, who almost never tells how he does the things he does.:ohwell:
>:U

I only don't tell how to do things because they are imperfect in a way, when something works perfectly fine, i tell how to do it.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace

I only don't tell how to do things because they are imperfect in a way, when something works perfectly fine, i tell how to do it.
I actually agree with Vile in his method... because it's better perfected, but then there is always others helping perfect it. Idk, it's up to the hacker. but I don't blame him, because a lot of ppl ask for help if things are vague.

I'm gonna tinker with William's converter, and see if I can just import verts from models extracted with that. to would make this process easier, allowing us to edit verts while having faces visible. (still no editing faces themselves)

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal

No offense, I'm just saying while I might not have seen all your threads, all of the ones I have seen you have never told us how you do what you do, sometimes other people have said how, but almost never you. (e.g. your sound effects thread, your boss model swapping thread, etc.) I understand your reasons, but after a certain period of time of one of your threads being dead, or once you've given up on a project (e.g. your sound effects thread), I think it would be good if you told us how to do it, even if its not perfect. No offense, just saying...

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
I get up to the part where I have to find 5500, noting comes up :(
The "5500" would be the hex for the amount of vertices in the polygon cluster. If it's 5500, then it would have 85 vertices. If it has 480 vertices, it'll be "E001". The hex digits go in reverse order.

Anyway, that program seems to work rather nicely, fortwaffles, except... I don't know why, but I've noticed that some vertices just refuse to be moved.

What I'm trying to do is make the Ice Climbers look like these two -- Drunk and Dranko from the Bubble Bobble series, since they've got about the same shape as the ICs.

This is what I've managed to do so far -- I've removed Popo's hair (Nana's will stay), rounded out the hood and made it a bit pointed at the back, shaped the hammer into a staff, lengthened the coat, and shrunk down the ends of the sleeves. HOWEVER. I don't know why, but for some reason, I can't get a few vertices to move at all on Popo's right side, so the sleeve's still puffy, the cleat spikes are 2D and in the middle (even though I shrunk them down to nothing), and the coattail is angling upward at the edge. Those errors shouldn't be there, as they weren't like that after I finished tweaking the model.

Any idea how that can be fixed, or will this be another one of my ideas I'll have to put away until complete model hacking is possible? I'll keep trying to fix it myself, but if I can't, don't worry 'bout it too much.

(EDIT: Moving the whole polygon up and down provides different, "see-saw" results. I must be doing something wrong.)

(EDIT AGAIN: And it seems like making my changes "negative" pretty much fixes the left side, but breaks everything else. This is rather strange.)

(EDIT #3, a few hours later: A-ha! After much trial and error, I managed to fix it... and now that I know how, I feel like an idiot for not knowing it in the first place, since it was so simple to fix. x_x

Aaaand a basic idea of what the skin will look like when it's finished, whipped up in about 15 minutes. I'll try adding some shading and detailing to the outfit, but I'll have the "cartoony" one available when I finish it, too.)

So, yeah. Thanks for the program, fortwaffles! It's going to be quite helpful for the skins I plan on making. :3

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
The "5500" would be the hex for the amount of vertices in the polygon cluster. If it's 5500, then it would have 85 vertices. If it has 480 vertices, it'll be "E001". The hex digits go in reverse order.

Anyway, that program seems to work rather nicely, fortwaffles, except... I don't know why, but I've noticed that some vertices just refuse to be moved.
I'm glad to see some progress on this, and glad some people understand it. I am not gonna li, this is more for advanced users, and im not the best at writing guides. as for the extra vertecies, imaging you edit marth's arm. the arm model is shared by bones. like shoulder, elbow, etc. the vertex points do not move to the bone they are assigned to, so each group's origin will be at 0,0,0.

After tinkering with williams converter, i found it creates unnecessary vertices, ans puts them in a different order.

i may try to look more into converting faces to show up... not be edited. like i said a million times, it's easier to edit when you can see what vertices are connected to what

if anyone knows the formatting of the polygons, plz message me

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Hey, fortwaffles (or anyone else) could you possibly upload a proper blank .3ds file to work with? It would cut out a step in your guide, and allow me to possibly bypass the problems I've been having.

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Fortwaffles, I don't think anyone understands the magnitude of what this can do! This can be used to make so many things!
But it didn't work for me. In the step that said: "then scroll to the bottom, and delete any groups of 0's that are in 4 byte chuncks. only at the end." Did you mean the last line of the hex only?
The model didn't show up in Anim8or. Will there ever be a program that could do some of the steps for you? I obviously suck at hex And I have no experience at this whatsoever. I probably got 4 steps wrong in this guide. But however, I am willing to try, although I might need someone to show me, because I would give anything to learn this. HELP!

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Fortwaffles, I don't think anyone understands the magnitude of what this can do! This can be used to make so many things!
But it didn't work for me. In the step that said: "then scroll to the bottom, and delete any groups of 0's that are in 4 byte chuncks. only at the end." Did you mean the last line of the hex only?
The model didn't show up in Anim8or. Will there ever be a program that could do some of the steps for you? I obviously suck at hex And I have no experience at this whatsoever. I probably got 4 steps wrong in this guide. But however, I am willing to try, although I might need someone to show me, because I would give anything to learn this. HELP!
The model doesn't show up because it's not supposed to. Only the vertices show up, and you have to zoom in to see them.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Hey, fortwaffles (or anyone else) could you possibly upload a proper blank .3ds file to work with? It would cut out a step in your guide, and allow me to possibly bypass the problems I've been having.
that wont work necessarily... the .3ds needs to be made from the .obj so it has the correct number of verts. also, if your running anim8or in vista, try going to proerties, and click run under xp compatability or something

Eldiran

Smash Lord
that wont work necessarily... the .3ds needs to be made from the .obj so it has the correct number of verts. also, if your running anim8or in vista, try going to proerties, and click run under xp compatability or something
Woops. I am a fool. I skipped step 6; load verttemp.obj. I feel ashamed.

Though I still need to get Anim8or to work properly. XP compatibilty doesn't seem to fix it.

Top Bottom