• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tutorial: Editing Vertices! ~Gallery Updated (2/8/10)~

Akari_Un

Smash Apprentice
Well now I have a little pair of contributions

The step 1 is a little annoying, because that my partner made this utility
How many vertex

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L7IM0BXE

Just put the number of vertex that the vertex group have, the program will made new a verttemp.obj file
with the number of vertex automatically
This will save time and errors on this step. you can put in on the first post if you want.

The other.
If you want edit the vertex on 3dsMax. you need to do this:
on the step 9 you can load the 3ds file on 3dsmax, let's call this 3ds as "1.3ds" (is an example you can name it as you want), edit as tou want, once finished, export it as 3ds , let's call this 3ds as "2.3ds", this load again on anim8tor and export again as 3ds, this time overwrite the 1.3ds, now you can delete the "2.3ds" and and continue with the step 13 normally, this work fne for me

I hope to this help

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Beginning Project Rosalina and possibly Gunner Yuna (Both for Peach)

EDIT: Fort, would you mind telling us what hex editor you use? It'd make it easier to follow along if we use the same tools.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
*sigh*

Yet more problems...

Now I'm trying to copy and paste the out.bin from Toon Link's body into the .3ds. The out.bin is a pretty large size. When I try to paste it, in the "Fill selection with" window, the only thing pasted is a tiny code only a couple of bytes long. I'm doing the exact same thing I've been doing other times, so why isn't this working?

EDIT: I just tried using the "from file" option instead of "input," that got it to work.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
In the "Extra steps for faces," what exactly is the "same procedure of deleting all the model parts except for the one you are editing"?

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
vsahfei When I try to open my .3ds in Anim8or, it says "Error reading file" ._.

Also, does anyone know the name of the vertex file I should extract for Peach's bangs?

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
I have a feeling that most of this process could easily be done by a program, which would then be a feature added onto Brawlbox, thus creating the usual massive amount of hype when released.

EDIT: Oh well, I've done everything the tutorial said, but all it did was corrupt the .pac... I give up, I'm just gonna wait for more skilled people to make this easier... *looks at Phantom Wings and Kryal*

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
I have a feeling that most of this process could easily be done by a program, which would then be a feature added onto Brawlbox, thus creating the usual massive amount of hype when released.
i just suggested that to kryal actually...

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I'm kinda having some trouble understanding this. When we get to step 5, are we deleting in the mld0 or out.bin? I would assume out.bin, but the picture shows Ness's mld0 file. I just want to clear this up a bit.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
I'm kinda having some trouble understanding this. When we get to step 5, are we deleting in the mld0 or out.bin? I would assume out.bin, but the picture shows Ness's mld0 file. I just want to clear this up a bit.
He just used the same picture twice, I'm assuming so he wouldn't have to take more screenshots. In the out.bin is how I did it, and it worked fine for me.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Alright, just making sure.

I'm off to go edit Bowser now. Well....maybe I should do Pikachu first, so that we can have a nice looking Pichu.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Alright, just making sure.

I'm off to go edit Bowser now. Well....maybe I should do Pikachu first, so that we can have a nice looking Pichu.
Be careful on the Pikachu. I'm not sure if it works, I've tried three times and each time it failed, even though I did each step perfectly (or at least, what I thought was perfectly).

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
LMFAO, I'm having trouble rotating the camera. I can zoom in/out, but I can't rotate. What am I doing wrong?

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
What is there to contradict?

Lol, Pichu will have to wait a bit. It is hard to makes head from tails(literaly!) when all I can see are the points. And I don't feel like going through the trouble of making the model itself work in anim8or...

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
"Delete the first four lines (the one's not colored)" The first four lines in his picture are colored... Does he mean the first 4 lines after the true first 4 lines?

Also, if anyone knows how to judge what vertex file contains what, please tell me. I need to find Peach's dress (the skirt part)

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Lol, that's in Step 5. He means the ones not colored orange. There's a red bracket in the picture to help with that.

As for the vertex files....they should have vaguely descriptive names. Keyword being vaguely. Try deleting some in BB, see what happens to certain areas. I only got that to work with trophies....but maybe it'll work with playable characters? The only one I tried was Samus, which is rather hard to see in BB anyways.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Lol, that's in Step 5. He means the ones not colored orange. There's a red bracket in the picture to help with that.

As for the vertex files....they should have vaguely descriptive names. Keyword being vaguely. Try deleting some in BB, see what happens to certain areas. I only got that to work with trophies....but maybe it'll work with playable characters? The only one I tried was Samus, which is rather hard to see in BB anyways.
Oh hah, my bad. That's what I meant anyway. I do believe I've found the skirt. Going to try it.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm having an issue editing the .3ds created in Traslhextion. It cannot find the hex of 115 (277 in Hex form).

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
Oh hah, my bad. That's what I meant anyway. I do believe I've found the skirt. Going to try it.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm having an issue editing the .3ds created in Traslhextion. It cannot find the hex of 115 (277 in Hex form).
I just checked, 115 isn't 277 in hex, and 277 isn't 115 in hex. You have a completely wrong number.

Decimal: 115 Hex: 73
Decimal: 277 Hex: 631

^ This should help.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
I just checked, 115 isn't 277 in hex, and 277 isn't 115 in hex. You have a completely wrong number.

Decimal: 115 Hex: 73
Decimal: 277 Hex: 631

^ This should help.
That's really weird, on the website converter, two for that matter, gave me the same answer. Thank you though.

EDIT: It still cannot find it.

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Guys, In the Vertices folder of Peach's Mdl0, what is Peach's hair and right/left hands file called?

pokelover980

Smash Ace
That's really weird, on the website converter, two for that matter, gave me the same answer. Thank you though.

EDIT: It still cannot find it.
Website converters normally convert to ASCII or ANSI or whatever, and they don't do mathematical conversions. Use Calculator for that, just the view to Scientific and click on hex when the view changes.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Website converters normally convert to ASCII or ANSI or whatever, and they don't do mathematical conversions. Use Calculator for that, just the view to Scientific and click on hex when the view changes.
Thank you for this, but, that still does not solve my issue of 631 not being there. (I even tried 63 1, 63 10 when searching)

EDIT: Calculator says it's 115 too >_>.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Thank you for this, but, that still does not solve my issue of 631 not being there. (I even tried 63 1, 63 10 when searching)

EDIT: Calculator says it's 115 too >_>.
Try 10 63 or 01 63, I had to do something similar whenever it was longer than a byte.

EDIT: Calculator gave me 115 as well. I think he was doing it wrong. I think he meant hex when he said decimal and decimal when he said hex because when I tried it that way I got his results :U

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Try 10 63 or 01 63, I had to do something similar whenever it was longer than a byte.
None are found, even attempting this method with 115... I'll just check the image in OP's post and view the text box, try and infer from that what I need to remove >_>.

EDIT: Kay, I can't use the text box to find it because that's... hard I suppose.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
None are found, even attempting this method with 115... I'll just check the image in OP's post and view the text box, try and infer from that what I need to remove >_>.

EDIT: Kay, I can't use the text box to find it because that's... hard I suppose.
Yeah, make sure you're searching for hex values and not text strings, because some Hex Editors like HxD search for text as a default, and not the hex values (though I have it changed so it searches for hex values).

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Yeah, make sure you're searching for hex values and not text strings, because some Hex Editors like HxD search for text as a default, and not the hex values (though I have it changed so it searches for hex values).
Yeah I caught that. Still doesn't solve the issue. I am yielding the same results.

Perhaps I should upload my .3ds so if anyone would like to help and check it out for themself? Maybe I should upload my out.bin, verttemp.obj, and my .3ds... I'm pretty sure I did everything correct though >_>.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
So it seems no one can help me...?

EDIT: Used Guess and Check method, smooth sailing :).

Are the vertecies supposed to be sideways in Anim8or? The seem to be rotated sideways, but then again, I used to have this problem when I'd look at the exported .dae files from the extractor and view them in 3ds Max so, I don't think it's a problem but just to be sureeee...

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
So it seems no one can help me...?

EDIT: Used Guess and Check method, smooth sailing :).

Are the vertecies supposed to be sideways in Anim8or? The seem to be rotated sideways, but then again, I used to have this problem when I'd look at the exported .dae files from the extractor and view them in 3ds Max so, I don't think it's a problem but just to be sureeee...
they are supposed to be rotated sideways. dont worry, just use the top view as the front view.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
as for peaches hair... find what polygon it is in the veiwer, look at the vertex set for that polygon, and find the vertex set with the same id number.

also, you shouldnt have to convert dec to hex after a while, cuz the position generally tends to stay the same... so you get used to it

Top Bottom