• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tutorial: Editing Vertices! ~Gallery Updated (2/8/10)~

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
RandomTBush - How did you remove the hair like that? I could really go for Toon Link without hair for Geno. Could move the hat down to his eyes, as well.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
RandomTBush - How did you remove the hair like that? I could really go for Toon Link without hair for Geno. Could move the hat down to his eyes, as well.
if you load the model part through my tutorial, just move all the hair points to one spot.
it the part is shared by 3 or more bones, then it will have graphical errors probably.

I have successfully made faces compatable, but it has only worked on the stage editor block and marth's sword so far. it gave glitches for marth's hair... but i just had an idea for making that roy (possibly) possible. a macro.

using william's converter, after deleting model parts other than the hair... even if the verticies are messed up, i can try recording a macro of editing those points, ans play it back on the points without faces.... or if i can figure out the format. kryal sent me to a page to help, but i got a little lost in the code

n64billy

Smash Ace
Grr... sorry to say but your guide is a LITTLE confusing to understand.... I got halfway thought but then it all just became a blur for me. Could you perhaps give it a go at simplifying what to do?

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
the red, green, and blue arrows are showing up, but i dont see a model
make sure you click both buttons. both to where the arrows point in the picture.

this guide may be confusing, but i released it because i believe in others helping improve it, instead of keeping it to myself

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
I have done it! I found a way to edit these vertices with faces! it may not be the most user friendly, but it still requires knowledge of how to use this guide. anyone who is interested in knowing how, pm me. if many ppl pm me, i'll probably add it to the first post

n64billy

Smash Ace
I have done it! I found a way to edit these vertices with faces! it may not be the most user friendly, but it still requires knowledge of how to use this guide. anyone who is interested in knowing how, pm me. if many ppl pm me, i'll probably add it to the first post
First post it! =D

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
what am i doing wrong?
did you copy the data in right? you need to make a text file with this line
v 2 3 0.5
pasted for each vertex in the polygon.
so five would have five of those lines, etc.

next, save that as an obj file. not a txt. then load it in animator. if you go to vertex mode, you should see one point (it's actually all those points just in one spot)
save that as a .3ds and the part you paste should be somewhere between 0xE0 and 0xF0. it matters where... paste the contents of out.bin, save the 3ds, and load it again in anim8or

I updated the Gallery on page 1. check it out ;)

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Roy looks... WOW
And his hair looks... DAYUM
And his bishieness... WIN :3

Excellent job, fortwaffles. :D

stickman

Smash Apprentice
I keep getting errors with William's converter. I run start.bat with the mdl0 file in that same directory with the dll and the mdl0converter.exe, but it gets the "end program now" error box. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Wait, I could be completely wrong, but, since in this process a model goes from 3DS to mdl0 format, couldn't we use it to bring new models into the game, before the injector? I could be missing something here, especially considering I haven't even done this yet, but isn't it possible?

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Wait, I could be completely wrong, but, since in this process a model goes from 3DS to mdl0 format, couldn't we use it to bring new models into the game, before the injector? I could be missing something here, especially considering I haven't even done this yet, but isn't it possible?
If you know the format, then maybe.

all my method does is:

brawl vertex points are stored in floating point. so are 3ds. but 3ds is flipped.
so if a vertex in brawl reads 42 F0 12 34, in 3ds it would read 34 12 F0 42. that is all 1234 to 4321.exe does. so my method doesnt really convert anything, it just makes the filp automated, so we can copy and paste vertex values between the two formats

humble

Smash Ace
If you know the format, then maybe.

all my method does is:

brawl vertex points are stored in floating point. so are 3ds. but 3ds is flipped.
so if a vertex in brawl reads 42 F0 12 34, in 3ds it would read 34 12 F0 42. that is all 1234 to 4321.exe does. so my method doesnt really convert anything, it just makes the filp automated, so we can copy and paste vertex values between the two formats
O_O so wait, there is a way to get models into the game without the injector? How would that be possible?

stickman

Smash Apprentice
wouldn't that completely screw up the polygons that connect the vertices, making it impossible to texture them? From my understanding of this, we are editing the location of vertices that are relative to each other, that way the textures can still be used. If we change the order of vertices, wouldn't that cause undesirable results?

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
wouldn't that completely screw up the polygons that connect the vertices, making it impossible to texture them? From my understanding of this, we are editing the location of vertices that are relative to each other, that way the textures can still be used. If we change the order of vertices, wouldn't that cause undesirable results?
EXACTLY! that is why no one can add or remove points, and william's converter messes with the order, so we have to layer it on the correct order model to get accurate results with faces being shown.
the faces are only being shownn in this method. altering faces, deleting them, etc wont work. only vertices

btw, im tinkering with lucario a bit... maybe mewtwo?

Akari_Un

Smash Apprentice
I have a question
on the step 17 I only paste without highligth anything??
another question.
I search the model offset on hex oct or dec mode?, because on oc and dec I found the number on different part s of the file
thanks

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
I have a question
on the step 17 I only paste without highligth anything??
another question.
I search the model offset on hex oct or dec mode?, because on oc and dec I found the number on different part s of the file
thanks
in 17 paste without highlighting, and search in dec mode

Mewtwo (lucario) is coming along slowly. i removed his fluffy collar, spikes, and dreadlocks. now i need to shape the main body, and tail (tail is easy)

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
In step 8, I can't paste. I'm using Translhextion, and I copied all the correct stuff, but "paste" is grayed out. I'll try Hex Workshop.

EDIT: I saw that you're using Translhextion, too. So, how did you paste it?

EDIT2: Okay, I've gotten that part figured out. Now I have another problem... how do I zoom in Anim8tor? I know it's a n00bish question, but I can't get anything accomplished by looking at a speck in the middle of the screen.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
In step 8, I can't paste. I'm using Translhextion, and I copied all the correct stuff, but "paste" is grayed out. I'll try Hex Workshop.

EDIT: I saw that you're using Translhextion, too. So, how did you paste it?

EDIT2: Okay, I've gotten that part figured out. Now I have another problem... how do I zoom in Anim8tor? I know it's a n00bish question, but I can't get anything accomplished by looking at a speck in the middle of the screen.
click on the eye icon above the vertex mode, and 3 icons will be available. move, rotate and zoom (rotate only works in perspective view)

Akari_Un

Smash Apprentice
Susses!! Thanks!
other thing
can you relase the marth/Roy and the Melee falco?? on your picture looks almost epic

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Susses!! Thanks!
other thing
can you relase the marth/Roy and the Melee falco?? on your picture looks almost epic
I will release roy when hes done, and melee falco has a DL, but i need to fix his head. it goes back to normal wit his hit face, and blink face

Zephron

Smash Ace
I've seen the pictures and such but in BSZ's video it looks like the vertice hacks only happen during the standing animation. (For his Mewtwo video)

What's wrong? Is this true for all vertice hacks?

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Haha, we'll see. I haven't decided quite yet what I'm going to use this on.

@fortwaffles: I'm afraid I've gotten hung up on step 7. I am using Vista to run Anim8or v095c. It behaves glitchily -- it's hard to get it to display the grid properly. Anyway, when I hit export as a .3ds I end up with a very small file containing only these lines:

Code:
4D4D2A00000002000A00000003000000
3D3D1A0000003E3D0A00000003000000
00010A0000000000803F
I'm unsure where I ought to place my vertex info, or why I don't get a decent file out. Is there another animating program you might recommend?
Pleaasssee make Zero. Hell, I might even give it a shot.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I've seen the pictures and such but in BSZ's video it looks like the vertice hacks only happen during the standing animation. (For his Mewtwo video)

BSZ didn't vertex hack. He changed the bones in the animations.

If he did, his hack would look better. No offense, BSZ. :p You are far ahead of me when it comes to this stuff.

Akari_Un

Smash Apprentice
Well now I have a little pair of contributions

The step 1 is a little annoying, because that my partner made this utility
How many vertex

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L7IM0BXE

Just put the number of vertex that the vertex group have, the program will made new a verttemp.obj file
with the number of vertex automatically
This will save time and errors on this step. you can put in on the first post if you want.

The other.
If you want edit the vertex on 3dsMax. you need to do this:
on the step 9 you can load the 3ds file on 3dsmax, let's call this 3ds as "1.3ds" (is an example you can name it as you want), edit as tou want, once finished, export it as 3ds , let's call this 3ds as "2.3ds", this load again on anim8tor and export again as 3ds, this time overwrite the 1.3ds, now you can delete the "2.3ds" and and continue with the step 13 normally, this work fne for me

I hope to this help

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Pleaasssee make Zero. Hell, I might even give it a shot.
I would love to. Unfortunately, I can't edit the vertices in Anim8or because it won't function properly on my computer... so I'd need some other free 3ds editor.

If you do decide to make Zero, then I would give you like... a hojillion... internet dollars.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
I would love to. Unfortunately, I can't edit the vertices in Anim8or because it won't function properly on my computer... so I'd need some other free 3ds editor.

If you do decide to make Zero, then I would give you like... a hojillion... internet dollars.
It's odd it doesn't work for you, I have the same operating system and it works perfectly fine. Don't forget, you have to run it as an Administrator or else it most likely won't work. Also, make sure your graphic card drivers are up to date.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace

Vertex hacks affect all animations because they change the model, not the bones. BSZ used animations to change the bones, but he has to do that for every individual animation.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
I'm working on a different vertex group, and for some reason, the "fill selection with" function in step 8 doesn't work for this one. When I try to paste, I get an error message and Translhextion closes out. I'm guessing that out.bin and the part that I'm replacing are two different lengths for some reason. I know that I edited out.bin correctly, so I'm guessing that I have the wrong number of lines in the verttemp.obj...

Okay, I just checked my vertemp.obj and it looks really different than how it was originally. I'll redownload it...

EDIT: I just tried the same thing with a brand new verttemp.obj, but I got the exact same problem. In case you were wondering, I'm trying to edit Link's "FitLink00_KenEdgeM__FitLink00_FitLink_Blade" group, which I'm inferring is the blade of his sword.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I ninja'd you by like an hour, STUFF. XD

I'm getting better at the art of the internet ninja...

EDIT: ASKSHAF I just got ninja'd by STUFF when I was saying that I ninja'd his comment. I fail.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
I ninja'd you by like an hour, STUFF. XD

I'm getting better at the art of the internet ninja...

EDIT: ASKSHAF I just got ninja'd by STUFF when I was saying that I ninja'd his comment. I fail.
Yo dawg, I heard you like ninja'ing, so we ninja'd your ninja so you can ninja your ninja while being ninja'd.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace

I started to attempt to edit his feet vertecies to make them larger, but, I apparently extracted the wrong one. It's very hard considering you can't see the model you're working with >_>.

Top Bottom