• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FUSION presents: UCI SMASH! Saturday, Feb 27th.

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
The Date
  • February 27th, 2010, Saturday

The Location/Venue
  • University of California - Irvine => Dr. White Room, located at the bottom of the Cross Cultural Center.

The Schedule
  • 10:45am - 11:00am = Setup
  • 11:00am - 12:00pm = Registration, seeding, friendlies, additional setups
  • 12:00pm - 3:00pm = Doubles
  • 3:00pm - 4:00pm = Break time
  • 4:00pm - 10:00pm = Singles, more friendlies/random stuff, clean up and go home

• Times are subject to change based on turnout/setups/cooperation. We normally have about 6 setups provided, but the more the merrier/easier it is to do things.

• PLEASE be on time/on alert. I really don't want to have to DQ or anything for tardiness/inattentiveness.

The Setups
TVs
1-6) FUSION
7) Thundercloud
8) MacD
9) $ick
10) rus s0ul
11) spreedom
12) connor
...​

Wii/GC/Melee Disc + Memory Cards
1-6) FUSION
7) Thundercloud
8) MacD
9) GSUB
10) $ick
11) rus s0ul
12) spreedom
13) connor
...​

Power Strip
1-3) FUSION
4) spreedom
5)
...​

The Fees
  • Venue/Club fee = $5
  • Singles = $5
  • Doubles = $5 per teammate

Discounts off venue fee if you bring setup stuff and we use it!

• The club is attempting to raise money for an engineering conference for the Spring Quarter! Any donations or information regarding speakers would be appreciated!

The Payouts
  • 1st = 60%
  • 2nd = 30%
  • 3rd = 10%

• So the school government might get on the club's/my butt about handing out cash as prizes... If any such report comes to attention, the player's cash pot will be converted to Visa gift cards (which can be used just about anywhere) in the same percentages listed above so we don't get shut down or anything. There was a problem about this that I heard about coming from a SF4 tourney that ran on campus earlier this quarter, so I hope no one really comes in to hassle us.

The Rules
  • 4 stocks, 8 minute timer, no items.
  • All matches will be held best 2/3, with Loser's/Winner's/Grand Finals being held best 3/5.
  • Tournament will be held as double-elimination style.
  • DOUBLES: Team Attack is ON, sharing of lives is allowed.
  • In the event of a draw, remaining stocks are used, followed by percentage. If it's both tied, a one stock match will be used to determine the winner.
  • Random Stage Resetting - First match should be played on a random stage as from the list provided below. Each player is allowed to reset the random stage once. If the stage that appears is one that was reset before by one of the players during the same set, resetting of stage is allowed.
  • Advanced Slob Picks - The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one.
  • Dave's Stupid Rule - No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again.
  • Double blind picking can be called before selection of characters for the first match of a set, and first match only.
  • All those tweaked/modded controllers outside of cosmetic changes only are excluded from use, those glitches (IC freeze glitch/Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, etc.) and stalling tactics (Rising pound, Peach Bomber at unreachable areas under stages, etc.) are banned.
  • Wobbling is most likely banned, but see the gentleman's thing I'm borrowing off the Pound 4 ruleset below.

*With a nod to Pound 4*
  • Singles Neutral Stages = Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland 64, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams
  • Singles Counterpick = Neutral stages, Pokemon Stadium, Brinstar, Kongo Jungle 64, Rainbow Cruise
  • Doubles Neutral Stages = Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland 64, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium
  • Doubles Counterpick = Neutral stages (doubles), Brinstar, Kongo Jungle 64, Rainbow Cruise

• Being Gentlemanly-ish - If both players agree to a rule outside of the ruleset, feel free to play by that. If one player wants to counterpick an obscure stage and the other player is fine with that because they think it's plausible or they want to spice things up on the TV screen, then that is more than fine. I guess this goes for wobbling as well. In the event of a disagreement, the house rules will stand. This is here for your guys' discretion.

Pre-registration and Other Important Information

PRE-REGISTRATION LINK IS HERE: http://fusion.zotters.org/melee

• There's going to be a booth on Ring Road of UCI pubbing for this event this week and all of next week with the option of pre-registering. There will also be a Melee setup at the booth like last quarter to build hype and where people can come up and get some friendlies in. I remember meeting MacD and Julian this way... Quite humbling experiences lol. ^_^

• This is obviously the first Melee tournament that I'm going to be in charge of, so I'm going to be a bit noobish, but it'd be nice if I could get a little help/tips from any experienced people before or during the tournament. It's a really big step for me from being an entrant and watching Zhu destroy Brian Funes' Ganon from that tourney 2 years ago to actually being in charge of it. If any of the ranked/experienced players show up, please help with the seeding so as to avoid complications and make the tourney more entertaining. I really want this to be a good experience for the people who wish to attend!

Contact Info
If you want to reach me directly with any concerns/comments (and be sure to voice them in this thread):

AIM - ahchoomattchu
Email - ahchoomattchu@gmail.com
Phone # - (858)353-5927 (text or leave a voicemail if I can't answer)
Facebook - Matthew Florida (If you send a friend request, mention something along the lines of Smash)

To be edited and made colorful (maybe) later. Thanks, and hope to see you play!

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
Pictures from the tournament I took throughout the day (sorry some came out blurry :ohwell:) : http://www.flickr.com/photos/41581133@N07/sets/72157623414097389/ (can also be found on my Facebook)

UCI SMASH! Results 2/27/10

DOUBLES RESULTS
1: Zhu & MacD (Zhu + MacD) ~ $84
2: Domo-kun would be proud (Fly + Mizal) ~ $42
3: Connor + Kendrick (Connor + Kendrick) ~ $14
4: Boss Maple (Boss + Maple)
5: Brian + Sergio (Brian + Sergio)
5: Jkun Michael H. (Jkun + Michael H.)
7: Cactuar will namesearch this (Stabbed + Kirbyraeg)
7: Team BUFF (Karl + Justin)
9: Nicole + Sooyoung (Matt F. + Carlvin)
9: Danny + Dylan (Danny + Dylan)
9: Team Mollusca (Squid + Chris Padeo)
9: Unnamed Team Name (Andrew Ortiz/Matt Illingworth)
13: Team Alyansa (Justin C. + Matt V.)
13: Dusk (Dusk + John D)

SINGLES RESULTS
1) Fly Amanita ~ $108
2) Zhu ~ $54
3) MacD ~ $18
4) Connor
5) rus s0uL
5) Kendrick
7) Bryan
7) stabbedbyatree
9) Spark
9) Squid
9) Dusk
9) John D.
13) Sergio
13) Eclipse
13) Marc D.
13) DJ Mirror
17) devl akuma
17) Nicole (ahchoomattchu/Matt)
17) ManBearFox
17) Signia
17) Spree
17) Dylan
17) Jules
17) Sooyoung (Carlvin)
25) Topsy
25) Lobo
25) G3
25) Nishant Soma
25) KenG
25) Spazz
25) Michael D.
25) Adam Samus
33) Adam S.
33) Thundercloud
33) kirbyraeg
33) Adam G.

MacD

Banned via Administration
i'll make it at least for singles

and if my boss isn't being stupid i'll make it for doubles

macd and zhu teaming at uci??? now that sounds broken

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
nah, we're joking. :3

it's easy enough to get on campus even with no bus (in my case), and lazy *** mccain has a car

DJMirror

Smash Master
oh well since it's going to be UC Irvine...Party at zhu's place after the tournament? nah

at the very least let play poker at Zhu or Cam place

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
Random scrub at UCI here. Saw your booth while walking between classes, but I never got to check it out. I'll say hello tomorrow.

Never been to a tournament, but I've wanted to start playing melee sometime, and I guess this is a good place to start. Hopefully I can get some more of my newb friends to add free money to the pot.

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
Random scrub at UCI here. Saw your booth while walking between classes, but I never got to check it out. I'll say hello tomorrow.

Never been to a tournament, but I've wanted to start playing melee sometime, and I guess this is a good place to start. Hopefully I can get some more of my newb friends to add free money to the pot.
where's the ring road setup / what times will it be up?
Ring Road setup/booth is almost always located directly in front of the Cross Cultural Center. We're usually up and running from 11am-4pm or so. There won't be a booth on Thursday of this week because we have responsibilities to take care of during the Engineering Week BBQ that is happening that day. Otherwise, there'll be a booth up every weekday up until the Saturday (tourney day) of next week.

Shameless plug => the E-Week BBQ is this Thursday (later today) around the Engineering Gateway area. There will be build competitions and FREE FOOD (oh yes), so if you're on campus and want some entertainment and nourishment, go ahead and come out. lol

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
Haha, oops. Took a lap around Ring Road looking for your booth today. GG me for not reading. Gonna get me some of that free food in 30 minutes.

I might be able to help out with a setup or rides if you need it. Hit me up on AIM sometime in the afternoon.

AIM: thunderc007

GSUB

Smash Lord
Haha, oops. Took a lap around Ring Road looking for your booth today. GG me for not reading. Gonna get me some of that free food in 30 minutes.

I might be able to help out with a setup or rides if you need it. Hit me up on AIM sometime in the afternoon.

AIM: thunderc007
COOL, I like seeing new people <3

put your aim in your uhhhhhh info, yeahhh. :)

Devl_akuma

Smash Rookie
Hey, another Irvine scrub here. Any other anteaters care to meet up and have some friendlies? I got a small crew going on here, and if some of you would like to come by sometime this weekend or next week, lemme know! I live in AV, pm or something if you wanna chill.

@ ahchoo: which one of the fusion guys are you? I feel like I have to keep reintroducing myself to you all. :dizzy: Only ones I know for sure are Karl and Carlvin (but carlvin's not even fusion, right?). Chris here, if you remember. :) Btw, I'll catch you guys in the booth tomorrow - was wondering why you guys weren't up today.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
welcome to all the new 949 smashers

please introduce yourself in this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241996

there is a large amount of melee players in irvine. just keep posting in that thread and start coming to our normal gatherings around irvine. hopefully soon you all would be regulars in the community.

DJMirror

Smash Master
^^^ WTF?!?!?!?! Rei This is the first time i see you post like this O__o

DR Rei *****

PacWest Rei is alright haha

Devl_akuma

Smash Rookie
@ Rei: I'm actually not a 949 guy (I'm from the valley, 818), I just happen to go to UCI. :D But I'd love to meet up with you guys. No car though, lol.

djmirrorr

Smash Apprentice
if anyone down to play around 9pm tonight

hit me up by pming me or something

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to smash... but I really should focus on homework and stuff right now. Got two midterms and an essay due next week. Of course, I haven't read anything yet.

I might be good on Friday, but I'll have to see.

djmirrorr

Smash Apprentice
I made a post on the You laugh you lose in the disco room

it was really funny but i crossed the line a lil too far hell even Mike G (a mod) thought it was funny even tho he banned me

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
all you newer UCI players, we should have a 'campus map' of where we all live!

I know squid's in mesa, rei's in vdc norte, and I'm in AV. we all have our aims in our profiles, just hit us up! (I'm busy tonight though lol)

let's get a stronger campus melee presence going :)

also, anthony i want that last spot at your house :D

djmirrorr

Smash Apprentice
WuWu and Spark lives in UC Irvine as well

I think they'll go to this tournament for sure

WuWu = Midwest Falco Player
Spark = A falcon player from LA?

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
@ Rei: I'm actually not a 949 guy (I'm from the valley, 818), I just happen to go to UCI. :D But I'd love to meet up with you guys. No car though, lol.
what time are you usually free?

this might be hard since most of us play at night and on the weekends.

i'm sure we can work around with your schedule, just post the night before who is going to be free on the 949 thread.

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
Hey, another Irvine scrub here. Any other anteaters care to meet up and have some friendlies? I got a small crew going on here, and if some of you would like to come by sometime this weekend or next week, lemme know! I live in AV, pm or something if you wanna chill.

@ ahchoo: which one of the fusion guys are you? I feel like I have to keep reintroducing myself to you all. :dizzy: Only ones I know for sure are Karl and Carlvin (but carlvin's not even fusion, right?). Chris here, if you remember. :) Btw, I'll catch you guys in the booth tomorrow - was wondering why you guys weren't up today.
I believe I just accepted your friend request and commented on your Facebook wall, lol. We should have played each other on the setup when you stopped by on yesterday! We had to help run the E-Week BBQ today along with the other engineering orgs on campus.

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
It doesn't hurt. I mean if you don't pre-reg and show up, it'll be the same as pre-registering and not showing up. What it's really there for is for us to keep a tab on how many people we should expect and as a way for us to contact you for reminders. I mean I have the boards for you guys, but it's also for the people at UCI who don't go on the boards and whatnot.

EDIT: Actually, if you have the intention or at least have interest in going to this tourney, pre-registering online would be a good idea. It'd help with the overall registration process before the tournament actually starts that day.

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
all you newer UCI players, we should have a 'campus map' of where we all live!

I know squid's in mesa, rei's in vdc norte, and I'm in AV. we all have our aims in our profiles, just hit us up! (I'm busy tonight though lol)

let's get a stronger campus melee presence going :)

also, anthony i want that last spot at your house :D
I live in Harvard Court. Woo woo for off-campus housing! >.>

Don't think I can visit the booth tomorrow because I've got a lab to attend and stuff, ****.

I talked with Devl_akuma on AIM today. It sounds like everybody here is ready to play at a moment's notice, haha. Anyone wanna play tomorrow night (friday)? I could use some training.

djmirrorr

Smash Apprentice
I live in Harvard Court. Woo woo for off-campus housing! >.>

Don't think I can visit the booth tomorrow because I've got a lab to attend and stuff, ****.

I talked with Devl_akuma on AIM today. It sounds like everybody here is ready to play at a moment's notice, haha. Anyone wanna play tomorrow night (friday)? I could use some training.
hey hit me up i'm getting out of work around 9pm

my cell is 408 5072931

My aim is jays0nnn

Top Bottom