• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best states for Smash?

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
Hi.

I've actually asked this before another place on Smashboards, but I feel like asking again. I'm thinking of Melee mostly, but if it has Brawl too then that's just a side bonus I guess. It basically comes down to Louisiana, Texas, Florida, Maryland, Virginia, SoCal, NorCal, California and Florida, right? Even if I know this, there should still be a noticeable difference between them, right? Also, wouldn't states like Texas and California be worse, considering their bloated size?

Sidenote: If you're wondering, yeah, I'm probably moving to the US. (But not just for a game!!)

pockyD

Smash Legend
florida and california

i don't know how things stack up within florida, but norcal > socal smash population-wise (although socal's top players are so much better :( )

edit: assuming you're asking about melee

i don't know **** about barlw but definitely not norcal for that

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
Gonna be honest, MA is pretty nice. There's usually a tournament a month and we've had some pretty big regionals, as well as the massive Mass Madness, which will be resurrected soon.
the best state is definitely California, though. Home of most of the world's talent, and really one of the 2 hearts of smash. Next to that I'd say NY is a great smash hotspot.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
For Brawl in Ohio we have a tournament every week. The range is typically 20-60 people. Usually 1-2 of the 6 or so tournaments in the state each month (sometimes we have two in one weekend) will be a 50+ person local event (local as in just players from Ohio attending, maybe a couple guys from MI or something). We are trying to put on our first National Tournament this year in Springfield, Ohio, run by Nope and the springfield crew. The tournament is called the showdown and they secured sponsors and guarantee a $2,000 payout for Brawl singles so we are hoping for a 200+ person event. Last year we had a couple events around 80-90 people but we didn't try to hold any national tournaments and the only MW tournament that was suppose to be a national got canceled (if anyone remembers the failed dream that was "Midwest is Best aka MIB").

Our problem now is scheduling around each other and such. For example, in just the 2nd week of January every weekend was booked for tournaments in Ohio through March. Essentially every weekend is booked for the next 2-3 months and its been this way since last April or so (in May alone I went to FIVE tournaments, all in Ohio, lol, one every weekend for an entire month and it was a 5 Saturday month).

For Melee from what I have heard California is super active still and after them its either Florida or NY. MD/VA is basically dead Melee wise like 1 tournament ever 2 months or so. This according to G-reg. From what I understand its basically the Shell Shocked tournaments here and there and that is it.

Animal

Smash Lord
Definetly New York. Realistically floridas stacked. But NY is up there

Eggm

Smash Hero
NJ is the easiest place to get to tristate melee events. We have tournaments EVERY weekend for melee unless md/va hosts then we go there, or if there's a blizzard. >.> And if there is a rare occasion there isn't a tournament there are tons of brawl tournaments in our area too.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Hi.

I've actually asked this before another place on Smashboards, but I feel like asking again. I'm thinking of Melee mostly, but if it has Brawl too then that's just a side bonus I guess. It basically comes down to Louisiana, Texas, Florida, Maryland, Virginia, SoCal, NorCal, California and Florida, right? Even if I know this, there should still be a noticeable difference between them, right? Also, wouldn't states like Texas and California be worse, considering their bloated size?

Sidenote: If you're wondering, yeah, I'm probably moving to the US. (But not just for a game!!)
louisiana isn't good for melee

arizona's an honorable mention imo, but socal, norcal, florida, new york, and maybe a few others should get priority

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
brawl and melee is really good in NJ.

northeast or cali is your best bet. but for melee definitly tristate #1 cali close second

pockyD

Smash Legend
the most recent norcal biweekly-type tournament had 59 entrants

i'm not sure any of these other places hold up to that standard

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Hi.

You have Florida on there twice. The choice is obvious :laugh:

I really recommend Florida though (bias) Florida would be your best bets for melee. Ironically just last saturday Shiz went to a tournament again (after being retired for like a year. His brothers came too after a 3 year break). Losing Gigabits hit us a little hard a couple months ago, but things are really looking up as we're getting some nice venues that we'll probably be able to use monthly, and hungrybox is still holding his WATO tournaments occasionally (he likes to host them pretty much every month unless something comes up). Basically, we're going to see EVEN MORE monthly tournaments than before :) Monthly tournaments around here usually see between 30 and 60 entrants. Our average skill is also higher than most states imo, and even up to the top we're pretty stacked. If you wanna be really specific about locations, Orlando and Gainsville are good melee spots. South Florida is a little bit scattered (and I don't really know the area that well so I can't tell you where to go).

We're pretty big on brawl too, though I don't know how we measure up to other states skill-wise here. We got Sebrik, Afrothunder, NickRiddle, and RedHalberd if that means anything to anybody. In terms of numbers we see about 20-40 people for brawl though. I think brawl is biggest in south Florida (or at least that's where the best players are)

Only downside is that we're kinda far away from other states, so it's rare for OoSers to come down here. We don't have many problems flying out though (airplane tickets are cheap if you buy them far enough in advance).

-Ran

Smash Master
Louisiana's scene has downsized a ton over the past few years. Melee has around ten or so players that still actively play in the state, but to my knowledge none of them are national level. They might have a tournament once every six months. Brawl, we have at least one tournament a month that will have around twenty people. We have a large number of good players that don't play actively anymore, but do show up randomly to tournaments such as Sudai. The main thing that bolsters our Brawl levels is the fact that we have the likes of Lee Martin and Hyro adding to our collective pool of experience. Players routinely travel out of state to Texas [five hour drive to Houston, nine hour drive to Dallas] to compete at Hobo and Phase respectively.

As a state, we have one major series of tournaments that occur about every six months. They typically draw sixty competitors from around the areas of Texas, Alabama and Georgia. Our population of smashers is highly concentrated in the New Orleans/Houma/Baton Rouge triangle. The scene is nonexistent to my knowledge in Northern or even Central Louisiana. Mississippi doesn't have a scene, or at least I don't recall ever seeing them come to a tournament or asking us to go to one that they were hosting.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Texas is very good for brawl atm. Melee is actually being revived as we speak.

I just like the TX community over everyone else :p

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. Where are the best places for tournaments in Texas? I'm especially interested in knowing about Dallas, Mesquite, Richardson, Houston, Lewisville and Sugar Land.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Florida has a very steady community, as Dark Sonic above me has said. However, for smash in general, it is a bad state to reside in. Unless you live in one or more of three regions, you will suck.

Said regions are....

South Florida (Miami and the like)
Central Florida (Orlando, etc)
And Gainesville (Just the city, every other area around has nearly no smashers)

Unfortunately, rides to any of these areas can range from half an hour to even 4 hours long, depending on where you live. Florida is very un-developed compared to many states that are its size. If you cut out all of the land that isn't used and compressed florida, it would probably be about as big as New York, to be honest. Florida skill wise is a wonderful state. Smash wise? Bad, if not one of the worst.

Being born and raised in New York, however, I can say that NY is a wonderful area. If you live in upstate NY, you have top players there. You can even travel to Canada, depending where Upstate you are.

And the city area is where all of the best players in NY reside. The city is also very close to most areas in the bottom part of New York.

When it comes to regions, however, Eggm would be correct. Those two are easily the best.

Jtails

Smash Lord
ny/nj, all the tournaments are at most 2 hours away from each other. close to philly and ne as well.

the competition is also really intense. arguably the best.

AXE 09

Smash Master
as tee ay eye stated before... i think Arizona is a decent place to smash. but imo, socal's the place to go. i mean cmon, it has mango lol

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
Michigan is okay, you can't really front on them. Tri-state is hella big. NYC, I suppose, Definitely not NYS, at least not for Melee it seems.

Trela

Smash Lord
Hmm. Where are the best places for tournaments in Texas? I'm especially interested in knowing about Dallas, Mesquite, Richardson, Houston, Lewisville and Sugar Land.
Houston/Sugar Land has Smashfests EVERY weekend, and on the first Saturday of every month, we have a HOBO here in Houston. Dallas is I believe just the same, and they've got their own Monthly Tournament, also (Phase).

Houston and Dallas is where it's at!

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
For Brawl in Ohio we have a tournament every week. The range is typically 20-60 people. Usually 1-2 of the 6 or so tournaments in the state each month (sometimes we have two in one weekend) will be a 50+ person local event (local as in just players from Ohio attending, maybe a couple guys from MI or something). We are trying to put on our first National Tournament this year in Springfield, Ohio, run by Nope and the springfield crew. The tournament is called the showdown and they secured sponsors and guarantee a $2,000 payout for Brawl singles so we are hoping for a 200+ person event. Last year we had a couple events around 80-90 people but we didn't try to hold any national tournaments and the only MW tournament that was suppose to be a national got canceled (if anyone remembers the failed dream that was "Midwest is Best aka MIB").

Our problem now is scheduling around each other and such. For example, in just the 2nd week of January every weekend was booked for tournaments in Ohio through March. Essentially every weekend is booked for the next 2-3 months and its been this way since last April or so (in May alone I went to FIVE tournaments, all in Ohio, lol, one every weekend for an entire month and it was a 5 Saturday month).
Yeaaah! Ohio ftw! So many of us!

Top Bottom