• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best states for Smash?

황미영

Smash Champion
Basically all those mentioned before... But if you are interested in playing other fighting games besides Smash I would say Cali and NY. Other than that, all those states everyone keeps mentioning. xD

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
Seems I've decided on California for a sorta month long adventure.

Going ta figure out the costs and stuff. Like for food, housing, etc.

Anyway.

What city should I go for? So, like, I can get the matter of plane tickets settled, ya know.

A bit of a headache to have to look at all the California tournaments and make some sort

of tally of where they took place in. Figured I might ask someone who knew what was up.

Easier that way, maybe.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
If you're planning on vacationing for a month or so to the US you should come to the east coast and attend the Airship and apex.

Zone

Smash Champion
Florida has a big community but it's tough to get into if you live on the west coast of it. Four hour drive to Orlando? Three hour drive to Miami? no thanks i'll pass

Florida is just really huge. I moved to NY/NJ and the scene is much larger and much more accessible but people are cliquey because there are so many good players who don't want to waste their time with noobs, not that I can blame them necessarily.
I live in panama City, and it takes 6-7 hours to drive to Orlando and 9 hours to get to Miami. Panhandle is not a good place for Melee.

All we really got going for us is Rice and Green Mario.

KnightMare516

Smash Lord
Shadow hasn't beaten ADHD by more than any LAST HIT Game in QUITE A WHILE. Many times ADHD faces shadow or any other MK and wins it's often by 2 stock low % to 2 stock high % with some 1 stocks in there, same against me. Shadow counters ADHD and ADHD counters me. Shadow is obviously really good, and I love the kid, but he is not OVERALL on the same level as me/dojo/few others. I have actually 2-3 stocked him in to tourney every single MK ditto we've ever played.

Best state is NJ/NY (NJ 1st though) and then Cali and then like FL/TX or something idk.
he got better since the last time u played him...

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Shadow hasn't beaten ADHD by more than any LAST HIT Game in QUITE A WHILE. Many times ADHD faces shadow or any other MK and wins it's often by 2 stock low % to 2 stock high % with some 1 stocks in there, same against me. Shadow counters ADHD and ADHD counters me. Shadow is obviously really good, and I love the kid, but he is not OVERALL on the same level as me/dojo/few others. I have actually 2-3 stocked him in to tourney every single MK ditto we've ever played.

Best state is NJ/NY (NJ 1st though) and then Cali and then like FL/TX or something idk.
I don't know what you're basing this off of. What else does shadow have to do to prove himself. MM and beat every top mk in the world? Get first at a tourney with you, ally, and adhd? Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if these things start happening this year. Dude is good and only getting better. /end meat riding

I understand ny/nj for first. And I get texas for third, but why cali for second? They got DEHF and mike haze as far as I've heard. I don't really know anything about tyrant, except that he's "good." No idea what that means though.

CO18

Smash Hero
I don't know what you're basing this off of. What else does shadow have to do to prove himself. MM and beat every top mk in the world? Get first at a tourney with you, ally, and adhd? Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if these things start happening this year. Dude is good and only getting better. /end meat riding

I understand ny/nj for first. And I get texas for third, but why cali for second? They got DEHF and mike haze as far as I've heard. I don't really know anything about tyrant, except that he's "good." No idea what that means though.
Tyrants very good.. he could be anywhere from 2nd-5th best mk or w.e
Then they also have havok and dsf, two other top mks. Then fictions coming back

OverLade

Smash Hero
Tyrants very good.. he could be anywhere from 2nd-5th best mk or w.e
Then they also have havok and dsf, two other top mks. Then fictions coming back
Throw in Futile?, Boa, TKD, Tearbear, Teba?, and random other people who are good as hell and you have a region that nobody wants to crewbattle...

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
The beginning of this topic was looking a little grim. No one was speaking up for NC - the best state.

Obviously NC is so HIGH in the rank, people just can't see it. Environment. Community. Jokes. Catfish. Stack It Up. I don't think a state can do much better than NC.
NC's stacked the rankings up too high for anybody to compete.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
AL is pretty much better than every other state in the south.

on a casual level... :-)

but forreal. reflex and slam poppin in dur.

omnicloud7strife

Smash Apprentice
Not to derail this thread or anything but for Melee, what are the best spots within both SoCal and NorCal?
I don't know, honestly. But, in my funny wisdom, I just suggest you find Mango, and assume it's roughly where he's standing.

If you want the WEIRDEST smashers go to Wisconsin. Also, "my fingers are too cold" is a legitimate john.
Lies, there's no such thing as a legitimate john. /sarcasm

Hey look someone who consistently loses to someone shadow just beat.

Shadow=2nd or 3rd best MK.

ny/nj has tournaments EVERY week and every other tournament is a big one (50+). We also have APEX coming up. ny/nj is probably the best for smash quality wise as well (Ally, ADHD, shadow, anti when he stays in the bracket, Atomsk, etc). Plus ny/nj is mad chill (see tourney fix). Though tbh, texas seems mad chill as well. I'd go there if I couldn't be here.
@ rathy Aro: Do you play Melee at all? Cause, if so, I'll tell you when I'm going to another No Johns, and we can meet, and discuss stuff, and it'll blow our minds, man. BLOW. OUR. MINDSSSSS.

East Coast and Northcoast are one giant Brawl paradise.
West Coast is a one biiiiig Melee paradise
East Coast likes Melee. >.<! I'd know. I play with us. We got Darc, and Elen, and Trees, and Zoso, and SPAWN, and we used to have Scar, and we're gonna get KDJ back, it'll be great here. I'm not saying East Coast doesn't play Brawl. I wish I could say that, but I can't. But, don't think we're a haven for all things Brawl based. We still love Melee. <3

Okay, now that I've gotten those statements out of the way, I feel like I can say there's no "best" state or states for Smash, per se (I am only speaking for Melee, I have no knowledge of Brawl at all). One of the really nice things about the various locations is the difference in play style. One of the things I've casually heard tossed around is "West Coast DI" on the East Coast, which I find funny. But, I mean, there's just a difference in play style, and reaction, and all that jazz. I think what you wanna do is find a place where it's not too hard to get to other states from. I like East Coast for this (I'm bias, though), because the states are smaller than they are one the West Coast, meaning you can go from New England, to Tristate, and then go lower. You get a diverse community that way. This said, I've never really asked where smashers are from, and I don't play them as much as I'd like from West Coast. So, again, bias.

Hope this helped. :D

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
@omni: i don't play melee anymore, but i guess i could go to a tourney. i'll look up the info on no johns next time i get a chance. would be cool to chill with u.

edit: on a random note, what's the metaknight ranking?
1) M2K
2)Dojo/Tyrant/Shadow
3)Judge/Ksizzle
4)Atomsk/Havok/DSF

The above is me listing random notable mks without any sort of evidence and lots of bias.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Guys, stop trolling. What if some scrub actually takes this seriously and goes to NC? *shudders at the thought*

On topic: ppl should come to ny/nj for diem's trash talk. It's too good. Juice trash talk in generally good.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
diem tried to fight me and stingers because I asked him if he was bipolar, we lul'd and walked away. NC is the best smash state.

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
Instead of states let's go cities for a sec: I'm graduating soon and i wanna move to a big city (anywhere in the US). Of course the nearby smash community will affect my decision, so do any of you guys know where a good CITY to smash in would be? I've been playing smash for 8 years now but have never been to any big tournaments other than SMYM 10. Where can I move so that I can start playing REALLY GOOD players on a much more regular basis?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
You know, I don't like fish. Or cats for that matter. I like dogs, though. Been to a hotal in NC I think. I think it was Charleton or something lol.

Top Bottom