• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best states for Smash?

Lobos

Smash Master
Lol I'd like to point out that Maryland just had the biggest maylay tournament to date.....

The biggest tournament overall as well to date.....

Just saying :p

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Florida has a very steady community, as Dark Sonic above me has said. However, for smash in general, it is a bad state to reside in. Unless you live in one or more of three regions, you will suck.

Said regions are....

South Florida (Miami and the like)
Central Florida (Orlando, etc)
And Gainesville (Just the city, every other area around has nearly no smashers)

Unfortunately, rides to any of these areas can range from half an hour to even 4 hours long, depending on where you live. Florida is very un-developed compared to many states that are its size. If you cut out all of the land that isn't used and compressed florida, it would probably be about as big as New York, to be honest. Florida skill wise is a wonderful state. Smash wise? Bad, if not one of the worst.

Being born and raised in New York, however, I can say that NY is a wonderful area. If you live in upstate NY, you have top players there. You can even travel to Canada, depending where Upstate you are.

And the city area is where all of the best players in NY reside. The city is also very close to most areas in the bottom part of New York.

When it comes to regions, however, Eggm would be correct. Those two are easily the best.
Oh man you are so right. YOu have expressed my : [[[[[[[[[ through that post. Seriously, I lived in St. Cloud, which is near Kissimee, which is near Orlando. But if:

You don't have a car
You don't have a license
You don't have money (for tournies, bus rides, etc)
Your parents don't care about what you care about

Your kinda smashless. Sadly. Luckily I could smash when I could, but still, I wanted more. You probally need those things above for the full experience, and I still don't have a license. I have money now tho. But yes you won't feel like you are reaching your goals of smash (if you have any). It makes you feel deprived.

Oh right and the busses down there SUCK ***. Up here you could depend a little more on busses, since there is more (alot more).

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hmm. Where are the best places for tournaments in Texas? I'm especially interested in knowing about Dallas, Mesquite, Richardson, Houston, Lewisville and Sugar Land.
Houston or Dallas. Dallas has more melee though if you're looking for that while houston has a bit bigger brawl scene.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Houston/Sugar Land has Smashfests EVERY weekend, and on the first Saturday of every month, we have a HOBO here in Houston. Dallas is I believe just the same, and they've got their own Monthly Tournament, also (Phase).

Houston and Dallas is where it's at!
Texas also has:

Gnes (2nd best diddy)
Dojo (2nd best meta)
Xyro (best samus)
Utd Zac (best gw)
Jerm (3rd best toon link)
Royr (top 3 marth)
Espy (top 3 sonic)

HOBO is a series that happens in houston EVERY month.
PHASE is a series that happens in dallas the 3rd week of every month.
FINAL SMASH is a series that happens in San Antonio every 3-4 months.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
If you are good at the game and live in the CFL area you can normally get rides and stuff.

We have top level players for both games down here. only problem is lack of OOS players.

We can have brawl smash fests DAILY. Pretty much if you want to host any day of the week you can get people over there. You can easily fight people top 20 in the state in this area for brawl frequently. I've been out of the melee scene for a whiles, but I do know we have some bigger names that are willing to get into play.

defsithe

Smash Ace
california or florida.

but if your just looking for a bad a$s state to live texas.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
But if:

You don't have a car
You don't have a license
You don't have money (for tournies, bus rides, etc)
Your parents don't care about what you care about

Your kinda smashless.
While that is true, the fact that he is finding somewhere to move himself (and not with his parents) implies that he will have these things.

For those who DO have a car, Florida is a WONDERFUL state to smash in. The best colleges in the state are also all concentrated smash spots. You can find people to smash with almost daily in the UCF area if you're willing to drive between 5 and 10 minutes.

Florida just has a problem with transportation is all. Our bus system sucks so people without a car get a little shafted (I've always managed to find rides though, just ask around. Smashers are nice.)

Just don't live in the panhandle and you'll be fine smashwise.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
While that is true, the fact that he is finding somewhere to move himself (and not with his parents) implies that he will have these things.

For those who DO have a car, Florida is a WONDERFUL state to smash in. The best colleges in the state are also all concentrated smash spots. You can find people to smash with almost daily in the UCF area if you're willing to drive between 5 and 10 minutes.

Florida just has a problem with transportation is all. Our bus system sucks so people without a car get a little shafted (I've always managed to find rides though, just ask around. Smashers are nice.)

Just don't live in the panhandle and you'll be fine smashwise.
Yeah you are so right. I am deciding to move out myself, and I am tired of using busses. I wish I had gotten my license and used the car back there (I moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) instead of my parents selling it. D: [

I am noticing it is hard to go places even that are not for smashing, without a car. So that is why I will make a goal of getting one. : D

To those who don't have a car, I wish you luck and hope to god you get one. I was a bit lazy so yeah. Hehe.

KnightMare516

Smash Lord
Texas also has:

Gnes (2nd best diddy)
Dojo (2nd best meta)
Xyro (best samus)
Utd Zac (best gw)
Royr (top 3 marth)
Espy (top 3 sonic)

im sry but this is just an ignorant post. Putting numbers on people as best or 2nd best just cause u in the u in that region and u wanna make ur region look best is stupid. dojo 2nd best meta? not since cot4 sry..., Gnes? 2nd best diddy... ya ok he good but putting numbers on it is stupid. Royr top 3 marth. i know of alot of people that would prob say otherwise. UTD is a very good gw but saying BEST at anything shows just how u dont know other regions. I come from and have traveled alot and i learned there is always someone in another regionn that is beasting that u have no idea about. Minty, Royr, Neo, Pierce, Kadaj, mikehaze are the best marths might be something better to say ;P

Dojo

Smash Champion
Other than Genesis show me where another MK has topped me other than Jason.
Gnes outplaces every other Diddy other than ADHD and perhaps NL on a very good day. And Gnes has a ****ton more consistency then NL.
Zac's outplaced and beaten every top G&W other than NoJ in existence. And that's only because NoJ never travels so they haven't been at the same tournament.
Idk alot on other Marths other than Mikehaze is the best. Neo is inconsistent, Roy is inactive, and the others aren't top level.

I do travel and this isn't ignorance. It's experience.

KnightMare516

Smash Lord
Minty and pierce are top marths/ Minty just got like 7th at a 90 person NY, NJ tourny. PGN and dire are also top GW but yes not the best. im sry dojo but i would have to put shadow's mk above yours :/

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
For Brawl I wouldn't know since I don't care. For Melee definitely SoCal/Cali followed by Florida. Easily.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Minty and pierce are top marths/ Minty just got like 7th at a 90 person NY, NJ tourny. PGN and dire are also top GW but yes not the best. im sry dojo but i would have to put shadow's mk above yours :/
Just regional bias on your part so thats okay. I can find plenty of people that would say otherwise. Haven't played him yet so we can't tell.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Why? Have you even played Dojo?

No?

Oh right you're just being incredibly biased.

i love shadow and all but Dojo's mk is better
Hey look someone that's played both of their MKs.

Hahaha :).

CO18

Smash Hero
Texas also has:

Gnes (2nd best diddy)
Dojo (2nd best meta)
Xyro (best samus)
Utd Zac (best gw)
Royr (top 3 marth)
Espy (top 3 sonic)

I do not agree with jerm and roy r being top 3 but k.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
i love shadow and all but Dojo's mk is better
Hey look someone who consistently loses to someone shadow just beat.

Shadow=2nd or 3rd best MK.

ny/nj has tournaments EVERY week and every other tournament is a big one (50+). We also have APEX coming up. ny/nj is probably the best for smash quality wise as well (Ally, ADHD, shadow, anti when he stays in the bracket, Atomsk, etc). Plus ny/nj is mad chill (see tourney fix). Though tbh, texas seems mad chill as well. I'd go there if I couldn't be here.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I do not agree with jerm and roy r being top 3 but k.
You also thought Zen (a wifi player who has been to 2-3 real tournies lol) was a top 5 falco so yea cool stuff. RoyR is so underrated its ridiculous (he needs to get active first though of course, he still Marth top 3 material). Jerm isn't top 3 but he is 4th.

This is all really off topic though lol

CO18

Smash Hero
You also thought Zen (a wifi player who has been to 2-3 real tournies lol) was a top 5 falco so yea cool stuff. RoyR is so underrated its ridiculous (he needs to get active first though of course, he still Marth top 3 material). Jerm isn't top 3 but he is 4th.

This is all really off topic though lol
Yea and what did Zen get 4th with alot of top players.

Guess samboner doesnt cut top 5 fox list either :/

And once I see Roy r constantly beating really good people again then ill believe hes top3

CO18

Smash Hero
He got so hyped because hes good... its obvious. Hes a top 3 fox and possibly the best yet hes only been to what 2 tourneys?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
He got so hyped because hes good... its obvious. Hes a top 3 fox and possibly the best yet hes only been to what 2 tourneys?
Yeah I really wish he would go to more.

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
Uck those states!

ALASKA is where it's REALLY going on! Lol. Best community EVER. Great skill, great people, great fun!

Joking aside, I'll be moving out in around a year.

So for Brawl and Melee overall it would be Jersey, California, or Texas?

May as well go to a place that is active with the games I play. I don't really care too much where I live.

And uh, some sorta question. Would anyone happen to know how Blazblue is in those particular places?

Would be cool if I could actually compete in that game. I play Guilty Gear too, but I don't think that has

ever been particularly active in the U.S like Blaz. But why not, ya know?

ANYway.

I've been around since 05, in case anyone is wondering. This is just my current account.

So I'm not completely ignorant lolz.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
On the topic of wifi pros

zen hasnt beaten any top players (i think anti forfeit to him lol) while sam has, which was my whole point. Who cares though lol

Back on topic, i think you should make a choice between nj or cali. Cali has a big brawl scene (they have alot of tournies a month And get a lot of entrants for them)and also other big fighting game scenes. NJ/NY has a dedicated brawl scene and arguably the best region in terms of skill.

Top Bottom