• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Wi-Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Project Wi-Win.
This project is not custom content. It should belong in the workshop general discussion.
Project Wi-Win is the Super Smash Bros. Brawl Private Server project. Goals of the project:
-Release a better, private server by May
-Release an official guide to making private servers by May 9th, so that we can say we had wifi fully hackable within 2 1/4 years of brawl's U.S. release.

CURRENT ROSTER:
NeonTogepi, Vile, MXXD, Thanyou

What you can do to prepare for this:
-Get a usb loader working. You'll need it.
-If your name rhymes with MantomRings, make a code to load an editted Main.dol without the usb loader

Current Progress:
-Found the servers and the urls of them, as well as thier location in the ISO

How can you Help?:
-Become a tester. None are needed yet. Will be soon. Very soon. To become a tester, you will need skype, though.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Well I know you don't need testers yet, but I use the USB Loader and love the hell out of Skype, so I've got all the tools of the trade needed to test whenever ready. :3

Edit: Not to sound rude, but doesn't Phantom already have his hands full with the Clone Engine and other things? Adding this on his dish may be a bit much, though he won't be the only one working on it, but still... o_o'

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Better Brawl servers!? So i can finally play online without ******** laggs!? I love you guys!

2nd

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Better Brawl servers!? So i can finally play online without ******** laggs!? I love you guys!

2nd
Not necesarily....I don't think it will change the lag drastically. But it will allow for some cool things, such as brawl+ with anyone matches if someone makes a brawl+ private server.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
No (i know ill get killed in my sleep for this)
Wii can play without ******** lag.

To seriousness, is this only being designed for better online gameplay (no/less lag) or is it also going to have addition perks that the crappy ones didn't have, like online co-op boss battles? Also, with this, will the server creator be able to distribute replays and pics like the original?
4th and MW2 players wish they had people as awesome as this.

Phantom Wings

Smash Apprentice
Hey, awesome job at finding those. This might make the online actually worth it.:laugh: Also, let me know if you find any of the branch link addresses that are responsible for sending or receiving information. Once I finish my module editor (trust me, I really am working on it;)) I'll likely be able to create modules that utilize those branch methods to transfer more than just the basic information that ordinary Brawl Wifi sends. (updated leaderboards anyone?) It'll likely be something that's still a long way off, but I have high aspirations.

As far as the Main.dol goes. If it turns out that the Main.dol is loaded before the SD management routines get loaded, then I probably wont be able directly replace it. However, I can probably provide you with a hook point from the Main.dol to a Main2.dol that would get loaded on startup. And if that doesn't work, then I might be able to replace the Main.dol after it has been loaded - but that might lead to some undesirable effects.

Regardless, I have already promised Dantarion, TSON, and Shanus a couple of things. So I'm going to see about finishing those first (and the poor module editor keeps getting pushed back further and further... I hope Dantarion's taking good care of it while I'm busy:bee:)

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
To seriousness, is this only being designed for better online gameplay (no/less lag) or is it also going to have addition perks that the crappy ones didn't have, like online co-op boss battles? Also, with this, will the server creator be able to distribute replays and pics like the original?
[
Not necessarily, that wouldn't need private servers, yes.

Hey, awesome job at finding those. This might make the online actually worth it.:laugh: Also, let me know if you find any of the branch link addresses that are responsible for sending or receiving information. Once I finish my module editor (trust me, I really am working on it;)) I'll likely be able to create modules that utilize those branch methods to transfer more than just the basic information that ordinary Brawl Wifi sends. (updated leaderboards anyone?) It'll likely be something that's still a long way off, but I have high aspirations.

As far as the Main.dol goes. If it turns out that the Main.dol is loaded before the SD management routines get loaded, then I probably wont be able directly replace it. However, I can probably provide you with a hook point from the Main.dol to a Main2.dol that would get loaded on startup. And if that doesn't work, then I might be able to replace the Main.dol after it has been loaded - but that might lead to some undesirable effects.

Regardless, I have already promised Dantarion, TSON, and Shanus a couple of things. So I'm going to see about finishing those first (and the poor module editor keeps getting pushed back further and further... I hope Dantarion's taking good care of it while I'm busy:bee:)
Branch link adresses? Yeah, I think. Not exactly sure what you mean. Here's what notes I've taken:

Gamespy.net is referenced often in Main.dol . I want a check to see if gamespy had any involvement with brawl. They may have had a leader board for it in the works, because the two urls mentioned are gamespy.net/sake/UpdateRecord and gamespy.net/sake/DeleteRecord

But that website is not the server. http://s.sake.gs.nintendowifi.net/Sa...ageserver.asmx is the server. I am nearly certain. http://s.sake.gs.nintendowifi.net/SakeStorageServer/ gives a 403 forbidden. The full url gives us...tools? Lol....

There are essentially 4 websites with many sub-divisions in Main.Dol . They are, specifically:
nintendowifi.net
gamespy.net
schemas.xmlsoap.org
The official IP for the server has been found. I can not post it I believe, though.
ishikawa.servebeer.com/games (url does not excist?)

Gamespy: Records? Thier sdk is referenced once or twice, too.
NintendoWifi: Most everything
XmlSoap: referenced only once, but the url referenced is very similar to those on nintendowifi.net EDIT: Refernced thrice with only two urls.

Why are some of the .nintendowifi.net urls working and some not?
Also, quick question: is there a way to use changed Main.dol s?
Also, I think I found placeholders for the ips of you nd your friends. They are d%.d%.d%.d% . Can anyone reconfirm this?
It took me about an hour to look through the entire wifi section of Main.dol ....buckle in boys, this is going to be a loooooonnnnggg ride.
As for the module thing, that sounds great! Though, the xml files that brawl links to and the main.dol's wifi section are....nearly identical. So, xml editting may be required.

That code would be cool. I could try to make one if you send me notes from when you made your texture codes or something until your able to work on it, though. Module editor, however, is much more important.

Small unrelated note: what the f*** are the corps files in info2? Slipspace? Found this interesting icon in it, though.

Guess he was going to be a boss.

AerialX

Smash Cadet
As far as the Main.dol goes. If it turns out that the Main.dol is loaded before the SD management routines get loaded, then I probably wont be able directly replace it.
It's loaded way before. It's loaded into memory before the game is started :p

I don't think a code is the way to go here; there are normal disc launchers that will launch an alternate dol from SD instead. If your favourite ocarina-enabled launcher doesn't do that, it's not hard to change anyway. If you were to do a perfect private server you wouldn't need to modify the game at all; though that's probably not possible unless they failed some basic security.

Besides that, why is a USB loader required, are you replacing some disc files you can't with a code? *pokes Riivolution*

Sails

Smash Ace
Brawl is already P2P so don't expect this to fix online lag, all this will allow us to do is create some interesting features such as mod-based version matchups for matchmaking and other related ideas.

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
Brawl is already P2P so don't expect this to fix online lag, all this will allow us to do is create some interesting features such as mod-based version matchups for matchmaking and other related ideas.
Is there anything that hacking or creating a server can do to reduce lag? I've heard that there is a mandatory input lag in vbrawl online. Can that be eliminated?

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Is there anything that hacking or creating a server can do to reduce lag? I've heard that there is a mandatory input lag in vbrawl online. Can that be eliminated?
Where does this mandatory input lag come from? Main.dol , fighter.pac, or an outside source such as the files linked to in main.dol?

Well if we manage to get a big enough server(almost impossible with out major funds) we can reduce lag right?
No/yes. I don't exactly know why brawl lags but if I understand correctly its p2p or mandatory input lag. We can reduce lag if we can remove mandatory input lag WITHOUT DAMAGING GAMEPLAY. But we can not if it is P2P. Major funding will not be needed either way. A little funding may be needed for a private server, but people will be able to buy/make thier own, and I would never ask for funds without showing a working private server first.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
i have skype and a usb loader, in case you were wondering. this will be epic. very epic.

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
Im thinking making a psuedo private server is fairly easy via SOAP. We could just have locations that use duped XML files. Im pretty sure none of the XML files reference to different addresses (im pretty sure its all handled via main.dol, because maybe they wanted to use the same addresses for all of the regions of brawl).

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I'd be happy to help, Neon Togepi. Anything that makes wi-fi better is fully supported by me :laugh: I have Skype under the same name, just need to set up a USB, which shouldn't be hard at all

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
*just read about Riivolution* ...****! I don't have my original Brawl disc anymore! D<

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
What's Riivelution?

EDIT: OH MY ****ING GOD
O_O That's some smexy stuff right thar! Even though right now, it looks like it's the same thing as the File Patch Code. Then again, couldn't this do things the FPC couldn't? Like SD loaded sound effects? And this would also be good for other games (considering that Brawl is the only game I know of with a FPC made for it).

EDIT: Wow, THAT many people are using USB loader? I've been using the disc this whole time!

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
I think all of us can agree the main problem and most important thing to all of us is the lag in online brawling.

highfive

Smash Lord
I get it. But I don't. Anyone care to explain Riivolution to me?

Anyway, I support this ****. As such, I'll help whenever I stop being lazy and get Skype. I have a USB.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I think all of us can agree the main problem and most important thing to all of us is the lag in online brawling.
It shouldn't be too much trouble to get servers running to the extent that SSB64 on PJ64k can. The main problem comes in when you try to have 4 players going since it's a P2P system.

I think a system that could check and compare the .gct's of the players connecting to each and then check with the players to see which one to use would be amazing. Actually, a general SD file comparison would be awesome. I don't know how possible this is though.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
I get it. But I don't. Anyone care to explain Riivolution to me?

Anyway, I support this ****. As such, I'll help whenever I stop being lazy and get Skype. I have a USB.
It's basically a file organizer that on it's own can replace any type of file.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZodeoqCuX0A

For those that don't have there original copies of brawl, or yours can't be read due to scratches, i have figured out a way to obtain a legit copy for 20$ (I am using this as a way to make profit from a game). you will need the original copy to run Riivolution, and no, they most likely will not make it USB/backup compatible and i doubt you want to pay 40-50$ for brawl again (or first time).

Basically, there's a game called Valkyria Chronicles, and it's only 20$ at gamestop new. Go and buy that game and trade it on a website called goozex (no, im not linking or referring people, also, it's a Z. my friend put in an S one time...) where it has an equivalent value of 35$ (700 points). after sending it out and the person who you mailed it to has received it and confirmed, you'll get the 700 points. you turn around and spend those points on brawl, which is 650 points. once it comes in the mail, you got legit brawl disc for 20$. a few problems that you may encounter is that no matter what, it's going to take about 2 weeks for you to get the game. you also should check if anyone is offering their copy of brawl, because if they aren't, you wont be able to get one. At the same time, before buying Valkyria Chronicles, check if anyone wants it, if no one wants it, then you aren't gonna be able to get 700 points.

Also, can someone tell me how to use the close down spoiler things?

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Certainly can't wait for Riivolution. To add on to stingers' post, it also removes the file size limit, so every problem we had with that is no longer an issue with the app.

So...can we get back on topic now? xD

Back on subject, I have skype and I use a USB drive as well, so tell me if you need me as well.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
No one on the team has a USBGecko.

Its going to be hard to reverse engineer main.dol without one.
Also, I think Neogamma has alt.dol from SD support you guys could use.

And Riivolution

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Riivolution looks absolutely boss. I can only imagine this place getting even more activity once it's released.

Anyways, there's little I can do without a USB loader, but I'll be happy to give ideas.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Riivolution will be the greatest thing to ever happen to wii modding since gecko os. I would love to help but I lack either required tools...

DevilKiller

Smash Apprentice
There is no need for a main dol loader. Riivelution is coming, we won't even need file patch code.
All hail shadowtroop for bringing this to attention. Otherwise, this project would definitely be stalled until an elite hacker god came along.

Do not answer this question if you don't care about it now.

Out of curiosity, will there be more help required, other than testing? As shallow as they may sound, I'm thinking mainly cosmetic. A server that rejects casual users will create a lot of confusion and people asking spammy questions.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Do not answer this question if you don't care about it now.

Out of curiosity, will there be more help required, other than testing? As shallow as they may sound, I'm thinking mainly cosmetic. A server that rejects casual users will create a lot of confusion and people asking spammy questions.
It shouldn't be too much trouble to get servers running to the extent that SSB64 on PJ64k can. The main problem comes in when you try to have 4 players going since it's a P2P system.

I think a system that could check and compare the .gct's of the players connecting to each and then check with the players to see which one to use would be amazing. Actually, a general SD file comparison would be awesome. I don't know how possible this is though.
A basic idea, but that and someway to communicate would be one way. I don't know enough about online systems to look far ahead enough and see a more specific and appropriate solution, but this is an idea.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
No one on the team has a USBGecko.

Its going to be hard to reverse engineer main.dol without one.
Also, I think Neogamma has alt.dol from SD support you guys could use.

And Riivolution
Is there any way to even purchase a usb gecko any more?
EDIT: Also, does riivolution work with gamecube games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom