• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Wi-Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Good question. If not, sleepyk knows how to run a disc by backup on the Wii in such a way that you could play Melee with modified textures/music/etc.
A bit more cumbersome than this, but just letting you know.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
Is there any way to even purchase a usb gecko any more?
EDIT: Also, does riivolution work with gamecube games?
Yes, there is, but they are tough to find and cost about 40-50$. if you would like, pm me and ill pm you back with a link to one. i got mine for 45$ and so far, it has done everything i didn't expect it to do but nothing i bought it to do.

As for Riivolution, i highly doubt it since the file structure on GC games is different, but that's not to say impossible.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Are we gonna have separate servers for the codesets? (B+ etc..)
Just hoping we do, even if it's not that easy.
So PW mentioned more about how we can implement more functions for that? Sweeeeeet

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Are we gonna have separate servers for the codesets? (B+ etc..)
Just hoping we do, even if it's not that easy.
So PW mentioned more about how we can implement more functions for that? Sweeeeeet
People will be responsible for making thier own servers once the guide is released. So, I can't really garuntee if certain codesets get certain servers, though Brawl + getting its own server seems extremely likely.
I don't exactly understand how his module editor will work. But if Phantom Wings, says its possible, it usually is. We'll try to get private servers out around or before when his module editor is released so that people will quickly be able to experiment with that.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
Should there be a topic specifically for discussion about Riivolution (so this thread stays on-topic)? Riivolution's pretty important, but it should be discussed elsewhere.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
This sounds sick and I use a USB and skype I just haven't been able to get Brawl+ working with USB.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
I'm in for beta testing, I have skype.

Just curious, can Riivolution also run codes simultaneously?

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
Yes, there is, but they are tough to find and cost about 40-50$. if you would like, pm me and ill pm you back with a link to one. i got mine for 45$ and so far, it has done everything i didn't expect it to do but nothing i bought it to do.

As for Riivolution, i highly doubt it since the file structure on GC games is different, but that's not to say impossible.
There's a deal somewhere for 30$ dollars, but I lost the link :(

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Riivolution currently doesn't support codes or have an ocarina-based launcher for them at the moment. It's not out either, I believe.

But I agree, a new thread for discussing this would get it a lot more attention and not flood this thread with comments about it (not that it has been flooded, yet).

wiiztec

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wiiztec
I can be a tester

I can skype and I use a USB Loader plus I also have a USB Gecko in case you need debug information or something

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Brawl+ will not be needed for testing, as I want people to use only the things changed for the private servers during the tests.

My project for this weekend is simply to see if I can dump my brawl iso. My disk drive is broke so it may be hard. Kind of a selfish goal, but I can't really work on anything else until it's dumped.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Going to try to get some stuff done soon on skype. If the testers want to add me on skype, please do so now, I might ask you to try to experiment with replacing urls soon. Skype: neontogepi

Still haven't gotten to dumping brawl. I tend to do big chunks of work every few days when I work on a project, so that is definately a reason for the laziness. After this Saturday, I'll be on Spring Break (technically Thursday but I'm going out of town with friends). That being said, school seems to have gotten easier for me, so my time shall be less consumed once I beat Lance. Why does Johto have like ZERO places to train? Seriously, I've beaten every Rocket Grunt, every gym trainer, every trainer on some of the later routes, and my Pokemon are still in the mid 30s-low 40...

Also, for small changes, I highly reccomend testers get a bit of knowledge with hex editting-not much, just how to find, change, delete, copy, and paste stuff. If you've ever hexxed an article in PSA, you should be good.

Sigh....can't dump for at least a day or two, even if it works...got to get an 8 gb flash drive to dump brawl and a pair of swimtrunks for the vacation I'm going on this week....I hate not having jobs during the school year. >.>

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Considering it took me 7 1/2 minutes just to get to the part where I can post and will likely take 2 1/2 minutes to post this...no testing today unless my connection gets much better by 5. Hopefully will dump brawl.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Testing will be at Thursday starting at about 3 P.M. Iowa time and likely ending at about 6 P.M. Thursday's project will be documentation. You will need slight hex editting knowledge to do this.
Also, if the dumping thing works, I'll be able to test myself late tommorow, making the whole process a bit easier.

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it could be similar to the RiiFS thing that connects the Wii to a computer... nr not.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Change in plans. I'm going to send my wii in this week, so I will NOT be testing the servers for the majority of the project.
So, here's a template for the current project: documentation.

Link no.: (first link, second link, ect.)
Link: what the link is (copy pasta. pretty simple)
Locaton of Link: (where the link is in the file)
What it links to: (what happens when you put it in the url bar and press "enter". very simple)
When 00'd out, Brawl...: (replace the urls with 00's in hex. Load it using something that works (usb loader, disk launcher, ect. I haven't used riivolution so I don't know if that works. DO NOT have other codes on or textures. Just the main.dol with the 00'd out url. DO NOT 00-out multiple urls at once)

Post results in this thread or send them to me on skype.

Wifi info starts at about offset 485258 in the main.dol and goes down for quiet a bit.

Positive news: Got mo' money. Might buy a wordpress domain name for the site later on. Though probably not for a while because I want to buy a psp go as I have no psp and the dsi xl is too pricey want to save money for the servers.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Documenting the urls. I can now officially confirm that: gamestats.gs.nintendowifi.net and gpcm.gs.nintendowifi.net are two of the game's servers. :D

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
If anything, Brawl's netcode needs rollbacks and buffer margins. Buffer margins to keep the input lag(if any at all) consistent, and rollbacks is a harder feat that is what keeps things like GGPO input-lag free by syncing/rewinding frames as necessary.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
If anything, Brawl's netcode needs rollbacks and buffer margins. Buffer margins to keep the input lag(if any at all) consistent, and rollbacks is a harder feat that is what keeps things like GGPO input-lag free by syncing/rewinding frames as necessary.
I feel like a noob saying this but...what is buffer exactly? I've seen that quiet a few times in the main.dol.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for another double post, but this is a bit major.
AND DONE with documentation. No longer need people to do that. I have found the following:
gamespy.net / gamespy.com / ign's sdk used to make servers. This has been confirmed here: http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/projects/view/super_smash_bros_brawl_wii/
Sake is the type of server.
Soap/XML is also the type of server. This is likely the files we'll need to change.
Public access xml files are used.
gs.nintendowifi.net seems to be used for determing error codes and such.
gamestats.gs.nintendowifi.net (I have this IP) and gpcm.gs.nintendowifi.net (This IP too) are game servers. gamestats2.gs.nintendowifi.net and gpsp.gs.nintendowifi.net also likely are.
Perhaps avaible.gs.nintendowifi.net is used for when someone is looking for a match, and natneg1/2/3.gs.nintendowifi.net are used for NAT type
neglections.
gamespy.net/sake/Delete, Update, and Create Records are likely for creating, updating, and deleting files.
http://sake.gs.nintendowifi.net/SakeStorageServer/StorageServer.asmx needs more looking into. Likely contains files that are not avaible in the other urls that we will need to use.

I have documented every url in the main.dol . Now comes the fun part. (Skype me if you want the full, huggggeeee documentation file)
Anyone have good knowledge of soap/xml?
Also, this is a question for Danatrion...can you host some files for me in the near future?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Do you understand how cool you really are?

Just making sure.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I feel like a noob saying this but...what is buffer exactly? I've seen that quiet a few times in the main.dol.
Well buffer is simply the amount of frames you can input something before the command actually happens, things can be buffered ahead of time by X amount of frames.

In netplay terms the buffer margin is usually the amount of input lag though, and is set before a game in order to keep it consistent. If the input lag ever goes beyond that buffer margin, the game may slow down, but otherwise it will run at full speed. This is what keeps games from being inconsistently laggy and keeps them in-sync.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
A question. How easy will it be easy to use?
Pretty easy. Note that at first, most people won't want to use it, because the only thing it'll be useful for at first is with anyone matches for codesets, such as brawl+.

Well buffer is simply the amount of frames you can input something before the command actually happens, things can be buffered ahead of time by X amount of frames.

In netplay terms the buffer margin is usually the amount of input lag though, and is set before a game in order to keep it consistent. If the input lag ever goes beyond that buffer margin, the game may slow down, but otherwise it will run at full speed. This is what keeps games from being inconsistently laggy and keeps them in-sync.
Hmm....I'm going to have to look into that something.

Also, here's something to clear up confusion:
Project Wi-win WILL NOT clear up lag. Maybe in the distant future I'll figure it out, but this project will not do that. Brawl uses soap, which isn't that fast. It could clear up a little lag, but not much.
The goal of the project is private servers. Once I get that accomplished, I will look into other wifi things. Small question I have: can we replace stage builder stages with actual stages?

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Now that I'm nearing the project completion, I'll give a more "official" type of update that will simply show progression. I now know what changes to make to the urls and stuff, so I will put how many more need changing.
Wiwin URLs: 3/42 are changable as of April 4th. Still looking for someone to host the test files.
Also, for anyone wondering what I will be doing once I complete the project, I already know what I want to work on, and it is related to wifi, but it is completely unrelated to Wiwin.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
what exactly do you mean by this? is "someone" a specific person? i might be able to help, if it isnt.
Someone is unspeciffic. If you own a website that can host files like html ones (not for download, but for viewing), you can likely help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom