• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Who will be the poster-boy of MLG Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prawn

Smash Master
In every competitive league there are those who stand out above the crowd. Those who are marketable and used to gain more interest and attendance to the league as a whole. Some leagues, such as the NFL, have many. However, I feel as though when looking at a smaller competitive environment, that only a very small amount of people can attain this success. MLG Brawl's future will depend on the success and interest it can gain, and MLG will no-doubt try to market a great player as such.

Of course, there are a few names that will be thrown around, and I will briefly explain my predictions here. Feel free to add your predictions as well!

Ally

Ally is already a household Brawl name, known as one of the top players in the world. He has been enjoying great success for a long time at nearly all of the events he enters. Personally, I think Ally has one thing going for him that all the other top players don't. He mains Snake. Although the Halo and COD players may be more geared(pun intended) towards the 360, I can assure you that these players will love to see the well-placed nades, devastating explosives, incredible melee fighting, and genius mindgames that Ally has been known to show us day after day.

Also, Snake is a character which does not balance on the thin-edge of needing to play gay to win. Sure, a Snake can nade camp, but you will never see one planking or timing out at any top level. This could be an important factor as the games including Ally will be infinitely more enjoyable if people's fears of an MK Plankfest are realized.

On top of all this, Ally is defiantly a likable and funny guy. He may not be quite the personality MLG is looking for, but his gameplay may just stand above all else.

Mew2King

Oh M2K, for someone reason he is cast as the Underdog more than I'd say is appropriate. What can be said about him that hasn't already been said? He's ****ing MEW2KING. While sometimes he may play "gay" or "campy", it is no doubt that Mew2King will be placing top 3 at numerous if not all MLG events. And I'd also wager a fair bet that he will have his share of memorable moments.

However, will M2K take flak from the misinformed(and, for that matter, the informed) for his character selection? Will they forgive him when he planks away the last minute in order to ensure his victory? What about his personality? Can his shyness be overcome and his kind goofy heart persevere?

In my opinion, M2K can get past all of this. Is M2K a cocky professional gamer like TSquared? No, but he is a legend in the whole smash community, and I believe this could land him far ahead of the rest of the group in people's eyes.

ADHD

ADHD may or may not suffer from the stage selections, but I'd be more than willing to accept that he will still be getting top 3. Diddy, like Snake, has the advantage of being entertaining even at the highest levels of the metagame.

Imagine the crowds "ooh" and "ah" as ADHD mops the floors with top MKs using his precise and crazy banana control. He will certainly be a fan-favorite in no time.

However, as stated before, ADHD may not enjoy the same success with the switch from the conservative stagelist he is used to, and this could trouble him at the top levels of play.

DEHF

DEHF is widely considered the only other player than can be put in the same level as the 3 smashers I mentioned before. He is incredibly smart, fast, and ruthless. Although Falco may be campy, something tells me that a crowd may enjoy several laser beams bouncing off the head of the opponent as they fall into another gatling combo for yet another stock.

However, in a lot of matchups, DEHF depends on getting his opponent to the higher end of killing percentages(to cover for Falcos bad killing options). Will the crowd want to watch Larry laser an MK to percents of over 160 before receiving the swift ftilt for a stock?

Shadow

Shadow is my choice for the smasher who is most likely to be marketed by MLG as of right now. He has everything, the personality, the charm, the heart, the desire, and most of all, his Metaknight is aggressive as balls and kicks ***. On top of all this, Shadow has a fantastic Wario whos flatulence is sure to please the crowd. And get this, he's already sponsored as a member of team VvV Sunshine!

However, the one thing that is holding Shadow back is his inability to place in the top 3 at nationals. However, recently he has been doing fantastic vs ADHD. If Shadow is unable to place in the top 3 at least semi-consistently(and most importantly, win an event or two), his chances of being marketed are slim.

Lain

Lain is another pro-smasher that has a chance at capturing the attention of the MLG audience. On top of his generally "cool" demeanor, boyish good looks(nohomo), and funny attitude, Lain also plays a character that does not get a lot of reputation a top level.

The biggest thing plaguing Lain is the same thing that will plague every player besides ADHD, M2K, and Ally, and that is:

The ability to beat ADHD, M2K and Ally. Consistently, and when it counts. Notice the emphasis on "consistently", because as anyone following the tournament scene will tell you, Lain has definite problems with consistency at a national level. Will this change now that MLG is around? Only time can tell, but one factor that may play into him performing at his peak will be the extra effort I assume he is putting into the game now that it is in MLG. Also, I have a hunch we'll be seeing Lain's D3 for a lot more matchups than we're used to, and trust me, thats a good thing.

Atomsk

Atomsk, Trevor, The Sage of Disney. No matter what you call him, this kid ***** as hard or harder than many of the top players in the country. One question that still stands is this, can he beat M2K? Although I'm disregarding the other top players, I think it's safe to say this will be his hardest challenge. He has shown the ability to beat ADHD and Shadow, and I believe that Atomsk is a lot closer to besting Ally than we all think, however I also believe he has no answer to the King Of The Mews.

Why? M2K ***** at the ditto, D3 vs. MK is incredibly hard, and Atomsk's ICs may not be up to the level that Lain or Meep's are. What can Atomsk do to jump this hurdle? I'm not really sure, but I would never count Atomsk out, ever.

Thats all I got so far, recommend more people if you want me to write something or write something on your own!

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I probably will.

I've got the skills, mindgames, charisma, and a large wang. Basically I'm the whole package.

I'm Ally's nemesis, M2K's Master ball, and ADHD's ritalin

I'm the BEST there is, period.

Think I'm lying? Want me to prove it?

Then just send $35 and plane tickets to orlando to 1458 Cherrygrove st, Hampton, VA. 23461 so I can go to MLG And prove it to you

dj asakura

Smash Ace
I personally hope we get a no-name rise up to the occasion. That would really garner some interest. Everyone loves to watch an underdog.
I'm sure there will be a handful of these types of people. At every event, in every game, there is always someone like this.

And also, at the OP: It's vVv not VvV

Sasha

Smash Journeyman
Well, I dunno much about the Melee's MLG days, but I think it's fair to say that Ken was MLG's "poster boy" for Melee.

It'll be all about who's the best. Who says that it even has to be only one person?

Ally's talented as hell and on one heck of a hot streak.
M2K's got the legacy and the best mind behind the best character.
ADHD's got... bananas?

I dunno. I think it's a toss up between Ally and M2K.

affinityy

Smash Rookie
The poster-child for MLG will have to have 1 of 2 things, if not both. Those two things are long term attendance and success at MLG, and/or they have to be good looking (good marketing). The 2 biggest faces in MLG Halo 3 the past two seasons have been Walshy (long term success) and T Squared (long term success and good looking). T Squared has also been featured on Dr. Pepper bottles =/.

The first SSBB poster-child will probably be the best looking player to place top 4/8 in both of the first two events.

NO HOMO

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
of the people I have personally met, I would personally say it should be ADHD or Ally with my second choice being Shadow followed by M2K. I personally do not know DEHF so I really cannot say anything about that. I saw Ally with a sense of humor and ADHD seems fine as well.

I am personally learning towards Ally.
Wait a minute... a Canadian representing MLG, a mostly American series...Wait What?

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
If ChuDat would stop maining Kirby and give himself a better chance they'd love to poster him. But honestly, of the ones listed it's gotta be whoever wins, and imo with the results lately that would be Ally or ADHD.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Oooo cool thread. I loved the right ups.

I'm hoping M2K. He's just the classic. And he'll get first. Believe it. no naruto

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Nice thread, Prawn. Imo, Shadow, DEHF, Dojo and ANTI are the most marketable top players.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Ally IMO.
His tag has positive connotations, I mean who doesn't like a good ally.
When you're playing Classic Mode and you're facing Fox and Falco and you see on the load screen your ally is Yoshi, you're pretty dang grateful. Has good marketingness.

Prawn

Smash Master
LOL Anti if you step it up and get top 3 then yeah I think you have a pretty decent chance :p

C018 is defiantly a possibility, cause from what I've heard of him/read online he's got that cocky "swagger" yo, but hes gonna have to be able to beat at least 2 of the powerhouse trio(ally, adhd, and m2k) to get a chance at capturing the publics attention.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Ally IMO.
His tag has positive connotations, I mean who doesn't like a good ally.
When you're playing Classic Mode and you're facing Fox and Falco and you see on the load screen your ally is Yoshi, you're pretty dang grateful. Has good marketingness.

Prawn

Smash Master
added with two more summaries,

maybe adding Ksizzle, Anti and CO18 tonight

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
m2k will take it he's too clutch.

@prawn there's more than just people from NJ/NY LoL. Toss is seibrik co18 dojo Reflex.

CO18

Smash Hero
Just give ally a nice clean cut and shave then make him the poster boy. Maybe they can add some visual effects to make him look more buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom