• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LAB 2 - Let's Adjust Brawl

clowsui

Smash Legend
Let's Adjust Brawl 2
?????????, 2011
Arcade Legacy - 322 W. Crescentville Rd., Cincinnati, OH 45246​

I. Introduction
II. Fees/Payout Structure
III. Schedule
IV. Ruleset
V. Poll
VI. Attendees
VII. Setups

I.Introduction

Hey everyone, clowsui here. For those of you who don't know me, I am one of Cincinnati's mid-level players and previously one of Cincinnati's active Tournament Organizers. I had previously been very busy + out of a venue, so I searched for a while until I returned to my original venue: Arcade Legacy in Fairfield, OH.

Previously, all my events always ran some variation on the normal ruleset. I enjoy changing things up and allowing opportunities for things to be tested out provided that they are logically sound or need empirical data for support. Hence why this series of tournaments is called LAB! I will introduce the "experiment" later in this post and will hold a poll as to determine what experiments people like best.

I am determined to make this a monthly tournament series. This is good for me because I can't travel very often. This is good for Cincinnati because we have many players who are not interested enough to travel far but love to learn about the game and we can unite the city this way. This is good for everybody in a two hour radius because monthlies provide something for everybody to look forward to and help maintain unity within the radius while boosting inner-region competition. This same benefit extends to the state; the benefit to the nation is data for nationally significant issues.

With all these things said and out of the way, on to the actual meat of the thread!

II.Fees/Payout Structure

$5 Venue Fee
$10 Singles Entry
$20 Per Team/$10 per Teammate

The venue fee is bolded and made huge because this is a great opportunity! Arcade Legends was previously a $10 venue, but after my appeal to the owner's desires to have the Smash community as part of the arcade, I was able to get the venue for $5. This is a great deal - there are nearly fifty arcade machines in the arcade, there is food very close nearby, there are ten guaranteed setups already meaning that this tournament is bound to be fun...and all for $5 as the minimum! I really hope I can get a lot of people to come to this because this is a great chance for us to prove that we deserve a $5 venue fee for such a fantastic venue.

However, the trade-off for this $5 venue fee is that venue will not be reduced to $0 if a setup is brought. Sorry :( If this is really that big of a problem for somebody, I will pay for their venue fee personally.

Payout structures will be based on attendance.

DOUBLES PAYOUTS
If there are less than or equal to ten teams in the bracket:

1st 60%
2nd 30%
3rd 10%

If there are more than ten teams in the bracket:
1st 50 %
2nd 25%
3rd 15%
4th 10%

SINGLES PAYOUTS
If there are less than or equal to thirty two people entering singles:

1st 50%
2nd 35%
3rd 15%
4th 10%
If there are more than thirty two people entering singles:[/SIZE]
1st 48%
2nd 22%
3rd 14%
4th 8%
5th 4%
5th 4%

III.Schedule

10:00 - 12:00 Registration (Singles + Doubles).

PLEASE DO NOT BE LATE!!!! I am aiming to have this tournament to finish before 10:00 PM if at all possible.

12:00 - 2:30 Doubles

Here's where it gets tricky.
If more than 32 people enter singles, I will do pools.
If less than or exactly 32 people enter singles, I will not do pools.

Schedule WITHOUT POOLS:
2:00-3:00 Singles Bracket Creation + Lunch Break
3:00 - 7:00 Singles Bracket

Schedule WITH POOLS:
2:00 - 3:00 Singles Pools Creation + Lunch Break
3:00 - 6:00 Pools, eliminate to top 16
6:00 - 6:30 Singles Bracket Creation
6:30 - 9:00 Singles Bracket Play

I am not budging on the >32 thing. If there are 33 people in attendance, I WILL do pools. But I will make sure the tournament is competitive and timely by eliminating to top 16.

However...
If the tournament attendance exceeds 40 but is less than or equal to 48 attendees, I will try my best to eliminate to top 24.
If the tournament attendance somehow exceeds 48 attendees but is less than or equal to 64 attendees, I will try my best to eliminate to top 32.

If trying to configure everything takes way too long, I will just default to top 16.
Most of the time I should be able to deal with complications though. I will probably end up making different pools different sizes, with the easier pools eliminating more people and the harder pools eliminating less so as to make up for the "difference".

IV.Ruleset
GENERAL RULES
3 Stock
8 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"

• If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
  • Resolving Ties: If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock, 3 minute, same characters, same stage rematch.
  • Winner's, Loser's and Grand Finals all consist of BO5 sets. Grand Finals proceeds in the typical format: the person coming from the Loser's Finals side must win two sets of five in order to win the tournament.
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
  • You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
  • Extending Meta Knight's Dimensional Cape by leaving the ground and returning to it while invisible is banned. (For example, flicking the C-Stick up while holding down on the control stick during the move will cause this to happen.)
  • Stalling is banned.
  • Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while using an infinite to run out the timer rather than to score a KO is. As such, any infinite chain-grabs, locks, etc. cannot exceed 300%.
  • Any action which prevents the game from continuing (i.e. by causing the game to crash or causing all characters to freeze indefinitely) is banned. If the Tournament Organizer or a judge can conclusively determine the player responsible for the failure, that player loses the interrupted game. Players are expected to know their characters and prevent this from happening.
  • Some interactions (for example, a throw with a wind attack) can cause one character to become frozen until being hit. If this happens, the free character is expected to capitalize on this in a timely manner; a failure to do so is stalling.
  • The victory screen is always honored with regards to Bowser's Suicide Klaw, Ganon's Flame Choke and other such suicide techniques.
  • There is no ledge grab limit in effect at this tournament, nor are there any bans on infinites

Additional Doubles Rules

The controller ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

If the clock expires in a team match and the total number of stocks of each team is equal, use the sum of the final percentage of players on each team as the tiebreaker; whichever team has a lower sum wins. (A player who has been eliminated has no stocks and 0%).

In team play, causing both characters of a team to become frozen (i.e. by interrupting a throw with a wind attack) is to be treated the same way as freezing the opponent in singles. Leaving only one of your opponent's characters frozen is legal since the teammate can work to undo the freeze.

Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.

The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is 2 minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After 6 minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.

Color Blind Rule: In team games, it may be requested that certain characters be assigned a specific team color in order to prevent any unnecessary confusion. For instance, Sonic, Lucario, or Falco may be requested to be assigned the blue team color.

Stage Selection Rules

1. Opponents make their character select screen choices for the first match. *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure.
The striking order is as follows: 1-2-2-1
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set.
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2.
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List. **
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches.

*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match. Also, the choices made here include the character's color and whether the player will start as Samus or Zero Suit Samus, as Zelda or Sheik, or as a particular Pokemon for Pokemon Trainer.
**No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

Stage List

Starter Stages
?????????
Counterpick Stages
????????

V.Poll

????????????

-------------------------------------
VI.Attendance List

VII.Setups

TVs
1. Arcade Legacy
2. Arcade Legacy
3. Arcade Legacy
4. Arcade Legacy
5. Arcade Legacy
6. Arcade Legacy
7. Arcade Legacy
8. Arcade Legacy
9. Arcade Legacy
10. Arcade Legacy

Wiis
1. Arcade Legacy
2. Arcade Legacy
3. Arcade Legacy

clowsui

Smash Legend
If a mod could please set up the following poll for this thread it would be greatly appreciated (please delete this post afterwards):

Title: What should be the "experiment" at LAB 1?

Voting Options:
Thiocyanide's Counterpick System
Expanded Doubles CPs
Both
Neither - you need better alternatives
Neither - this tourney does not need experiment(s)

arcadelegends

Smash Cadet
First off, thanks to Chi for putting this together. I'm really glad to have the Smash community back at the arcade. I'm certain you will all like the new place way more. It's bigger, cooler (temperature, that is), more open and there is no cut off time. If the tournament runs late, we go until it's done or everyone leaves. My normal closing time is 1am and I doubt it would go later than that, but I am ok with it if it does. I listened to all the concerns and complaints from the previous location and have done everything I can to make it THE place for tournaments and other gaming events in Cincinnati and surrounding cities. I am always open to suggestions so once this tournament wraps up, post up or send me a message with what you did or did not like about the place or the experience.

I'm sure Chi will fix this soon but i will post it up now. He has me down for 10 Wiis. I do have 10 good CRTs but just 3 Wiis. We will need you guys to bring your Wiis. I have space for more than 10 tvs so you are welcome to bring tvs as well. We can set up as many as the TO and space will allow. Also, since its not entirely clear in the OP, your $5 venue fee includes FREE arcade games all day long. No chance of being bored at this tournament!

For those of you concerned about going out to get food, the good news is that there are a couple places that deliver to the arcade. Jimmy Johns, New England Grinders and LaRosa's. There may be a few more but I know of those for sure. There are quite a few places to eat that you could drive to within 2-3 minutes of the arcade. I sell a good assortment of drinks and snacks at the arcade as well.

See you guys in a couple months

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I want it back Ed lol. Where was it?

Oh and this tourny is probably going to take forever with best out of 5 loser Semi's and crazy Stage strike system.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I want it back Ed lol. Where was it?

Oh and this tourny is probably going to take forever with best out of 5 loser Semi's and crazy Stage strike system.
Did you see the part where I have no pools unless there's >32 people, and if there's >32 it eliminates down to top 16?

Also I take that means that you're voting for the alternate CP system? Okay.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
When I say it's going to take forever, it should be implied that I foresee >32 people coming. Less people make faster tournies. Even if you eliminate to a 16 man bracket, if we have giant pools with that crazy strike every stage rule it's going to take a lot longer, especially since this will be the first time and everyone will be like 'uh.... q.q?' More decisions equate to more time imo. Oh and also the second part about CPs looks pretty much like the equivalent 2 bans-4 bans to me.

I don't see anything wrong with the stage strike system, winning the first game should have more meaning than winning the second. But I would say the third game is always the most important lawl.

So I vote no to craziness. Also no to crazy doubles stages lol. But hey do what you want, your the boss so you get to choose to be crazy lol.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Lol I mean, I'm already doing things that are experimental that can't be voted on e.g. PS2 as Starter, running 3/5 LSF and seeing how people like it ('cause I know some people get discouraged during losers since they're not confident they can beat the other loser's side person, so maybe giving them a larger chance will keep their spirits up?).

You're right about more decisions being more time. We'll see how the vote pans out.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Looks legit Chi, and your venue host seems chill too. I'll see if I can make it down to support this.

clowsui

Smash Legend
good stuff eddie <3

for people who are asking what to vote about

read section V of the event info

also check post 1

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Hope I can make it to this. Kinda sad picto isn't a counterpick.

I really don't like thio's way of picking the first game. Adding more stages to the starters doesn't really help make the first game on a more balanced stage. Also not gonna mention the amount of time it takes to strike 40 stages...

I do however, like the idea for how to chose game 2 and onwards, and would like to see that as part of the tournament. Does DSR still apply?

I also doubt that adding more stages would reduce mk's power in doubles much, but it seems a lot more likely to accomplish its goal (reduce mk's dominance in teams) than thio's ruleset is to accomplish its goal (a more fair first game).

If I can vote for anything, I'd like to see the second half of thio's rule (game 2 onward) combined with the expansion of doubles counterpicks.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I was thinking about taking JJ out and putting Picto back in. I forgot why Picto was favored over JJ (i.e. that JJ was super polarizing LOL).

W/ regards to Thio's system:
I'm going to ask him about that idea of yours and how it affects the system because that's an interesting proposition and makes a lot of sense. Also by full stage list I think he means those that are in play for the tournament. Which, under his system, would have to be the most liberal one possible...which amounts to something like 22 stages. Judging by the thread he doesn't mean every single stage in the game; he means the ones that we consider legal/borderline.

I would assume that DSR still applies, yeah. No reason why it shouldn't.

W/ the expansion of doubles CPs I would most likely include an extra ban or two to make sure things don't get too crazy. Why don't you think it will reduce MK's power in teams? I admit that one was just kind of a long shot, since MK is the most popular character in singles + is good enough in doubles (which has a factor of singles skill) where it's not likely that people will bring out their secondaries on CPs. Nevertheless, I'd like to have your opinion on this.

solecalibur

Smash Master
I dont feel like subing to this thread so Im just going to say Solecalibur so I can name search it later tomorrow

Count

Smash Champion
The more I think about it the more I realize that I'll probably be at this..unless the I just hate the ruleset beyond words ^_^

clowsui

Smash Legend
LOL @ this subliminal pressure from Count

If voting doesn't pick up I'm just going to run this tournament w/out any sort of major experimental aspects and stick w/ the minor elements I have changed.

Also, Onett for dubs if people actually vote for it.

Top Bottom