• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound V Project M Tournament

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Now that the demo is out, I think this thread is overdue.

Plank, JCaesar and the Imperial Legion, and Strong Bad and the PMBR present:

Thanks to MookieRah for this logo!

The tournament will begin on Sunday afternoon as setups become available. Signups will be most of the day on Sunday.
Entry fee: $10 - singles
Payouts depend on the number of entrants, but we'll shoot for 60:30:10ish.
Doubles on Monday is a possibility, depending on how quickly we finish and where things stand in the rest of the tournament. Melee/Brawl matches are the priority. Let me remind people that if you plan on only playing Project M at Pound, you still need to pay the spectator fee, which is $20 if you buy it online (online pre-reg ends TOMORROW) or $30 at the door.

We will be using the demo of course. These are the characters you may choose from:
  • Captain Falcon
  • Falco
  • Fox
  • Ganondorf
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Jigglypuff
  • Link
  • Lucas
  • Mario
  • Marth
  • Sheik
  • Snake
  • Sonic
  • Zelda

Rules:
* 4 stock, 8 minutes. In the (very unlikely) case that we are hard pressed for time and don't have enough setups, early bracket matches may be switched to 3 stock, 6 minutes.
* Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.
* Items set to "off" and "none."

* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.
* Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick a stage he has won on during the set.
* One stage ban per player per set.
* Stage strike for the first match of a set, the order of striking determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can't be agreed upon. Players will strike stages in this order (assuming 7 starter stages): 1 2 2 1 1 2.

* Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can't be agreed upon.
* For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that you steal lives by pressing Attack+Special, not Pause.
* Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.

* If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.
* If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, Kirby/DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.

* Handicap set to off.
* Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.
* Custom music is allowed as long as it's not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not.
* If you want to use your own SD card, a TO must overwrite the important game files (not music) in order to make sure there are no modifications. If you are caught cheating with modified game files, you will be immediately DQed without refund and banned from future events.
* In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage.

* No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs' Rising Pound and Mario's Up-B Walljump)
* No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn't hold up the next match.
* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.

* If you do not come for your match in a reasonable amount of time, unless you are playing a Melee/Brawl tournament match, you may be DQed.

Stagelist:
Starters:
Battlefield
Dreamland 64
Fountain of Dreams
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks:
Wario Ware (singles only)
Metal Cavern (singles only)
SSE Jungle (doubles only)
Temple:M (doubles only)
Yoshi's Island: Brawl
Rumble Falls+
Halberd
Brinstar

1 stage ban per player per set.

Questions and comments are welcome. Let me know if you plan on participating (include where you are from) so I can prepare the brackets ahead of time as much as I can.

Some of you may remember that I ran the Brawl+ tourney at the last Pound, and we got over 60 entrants. This will be the first national-level Project M tournament, and I'm confident that we can completely surpass the Brawl+ one!

Interested:
JCaesar
Thunderhorse
Cmart
Count Kaiser
Vist
BigWenz
CTL
Strong Bad
GHNeko
GuruKid
RyokoYaksa
ChiboSempai
GIMR
A New England Winter
Composer
KBizzle
The Upholder
Shroomed
Armada
Daniel the Seraph
RockCrock
DoH
Snap
Doom
Hot$
A TON of other people who haven't expressly said that they're entering (which is the basic problem with a list like this. It's misleadingly small because a hell of a lot more people are going to enter).

shanus

Smash Hero
hype, can't wait to see these matches, I know a lot of people plan on entering this!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Oh yeah, save those replays!

No Rainbow Cruise CP? Sadness.
That's one of the stages I'm still up in the air on. It's still legal in Melee, but Melee also doesn't have nearly as many good counterpick choices as we do. I'm trying to keep the stagelist as simple as possible though for this tournament. There are plenty more stages that could be legal.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
By this do you mean you're preventing people from playing with buffer or...?
Yes, but I don't really want to have to explain it to everyone...

I'm in and as Sonic

Why so many singles or doubles only CP stages?
Those particular stages just fit better that way. I may remove some of them if it's too complicated for people, but I really wanted to show of some of the Project M exclusives.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
but sonic is the best ever
and takes a crap load of tech skill to be amazing with
and he has like multiple 0-death gimps on like everyone lol

@JC its not that it's too many stages, it's just that why make them singles only or doubles only? Just make them for both events. I can see wario ware being the only possible meh :/ for singles but I've still seen doubles on it work fine. it just uses different strategy, what CP stages r all about

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
You've never played on SSE Jungle have you? That **** is waaaaay too big for singles.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
You've never played on SSE Jungle have you? That **** is waaaaay too big for singles.
true, kinda forgot about that
but then what happens when a teams match goes down to a 1v1?
lol the stage might be too big for doubles as it is

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think we should DQ people if they forget to save replays
:troll:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i just practiced more but im sick so i couldnt physically play sonic at my peak skill so i picked up sheik and now im awesome with her :p

> 100 fever? pick sheik lol

GuruKid

Smash Ace
No dubs?! Sad face!!! I just got half-hyped, Jay. :(

But yah, on the lookout for MM's. Best of 5, name your price. :)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
We're gonna try to do dubs on Monday. No guarantees though.

I'll do some MM's too, but probably not for much since neither of my best characters are in the demo...

Let me remind people that if you plan on only playing Project M at Pound, you still need to pay the spectator fee, which is $20 if you buy it online (online pre-reg ends TOMORROW) or $30 at the door.

Top Bottom