• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound V Project M Tournament

Magus420

Smash Master
You might want to try having the button pressed maybe 1/3 to 1/2 way in as an alternative to having the full light press capability or disabling it entirely. You'll have the light presses there to use, but the part of the analog press where your finger would be just starting to move and would be at its slowest would be ignored. The difference then should be pretty insignificant as long as you press it quickly.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
You're mainly a Brawl player, so I don't get why you'd prefer to light press for shielding. Brawl beat my lightshielding reflex out of me within a week of release.

We are adding the Brawl elements that add competitive depth (RAR, glidetoss, etc), not the ones that reduce the tech skill necessary to excel. And that's exactly what buffer does. It affects a lot more than just wavedashing.

I'm sorry if you disagree, but buffer is most definitely going to stay banned. Project M is not Melee, it is a new game. People are going to have to adapt to the small differences (until we hopefully get them fixed). Most haven't had any trouble whatsoever.
I also started competitive Smash with Melee in 2004, and it feels much more comfortable for the shield to come out immediately upon applying pressure to the R button, even though I fully press it most of the time anyway because of Brawl.

While buffer certainly does make inputs easier, I think the idea of difficult execution making a game more competitively viable is ridiculous. (Nearly?) every 2D fighter ever has buffering (granted, not to the ridiculous extent of Brawl's 10 frames). I mean, you're already leaving L-canceling in, that's enough unnecessary button pressing for me :troll:

The fact that it's a new game and is not Melee is a perfectly valid reason to ALLOW buffering, lol...perhaps cap it at 4 or 6 frames or something? Something universal like wavedash timing shouldn't have to be relearned or modified (unless it's really just me having this problem)--character-specific nuances are perfectly acceptable. I suppose you're quite decided though.

Edit: Thanks @ Magus and shanus. I was unaware that the Wii/Cube actually detect how far in the shoulder buttons are pressed upon plugging the controller in, pressing it down halfway should DEFINITELY be perfect for 0 buffer.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
Considering the lack of utility for light presses to begin with (no actual light shielding) I would just take it a step further and remove your L/R trigger springs.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
No thanks, I still play Brawl and Melee where those are nice to have for comfort. :( And lightpresses totally have utility since they make shields come out instantly.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
Think of it this way:

You're a normal Brawl player. Only full presses of the L/R button will register the input anyway, thus the springs can only get in your way of shields/ADs. There's no comfort to be had here.

For P:M, while light presses can make shields come out "instantly" with a minor press, so would a L/R button reduced to digital function, which ultimately means less stress on your fingers to produce the same results. If lightpresses didn't produce ADs and there was actual light shielding, I would be singing a different tune. With the the way L/R button functionality works right now, it's irrefutable that removed L/R springs are optimal.

For Melee... it's best to be using a separate controller for its level of hardware abuse.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I also started competitive Smash with Melee in 2004, and it feels much more comfortable for the shield to come out immediately upon applying pressure to the R button, even though I fully press it most of the time anyway because of Brawl.

While buffer certainly does make inputs easier, I think the idea of difficult execution making a game more competitively viable is ridiculous. (Nearly?) every 2D fighter ever has buffering (granted, not to the ridiculous extent of Brawl's 10 frames). I mean, you're already leaving L-canceling in, that's enough unnecessary button pressing for me :troll:

The fact that it's a new game and is not Melee is a perfectly valid reason to ALLOW buffering, lol...perhaps cap it at 4 or 6 frames or something? Something universal like wavedash timing shouldn't have to be relearned or modified (unless it's really just me having this problem)--character-specific nuances are perfectly acceptable. I suppose you're quite decided though.
This is honestly how I feel about buffering, a game isn't less deep because its easier to learn how to play. I really don't think people will start losing to new players simply because they could perform on a similar technical level. The new players will still have to bait, read, and outplay people to win.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
This is honestly how I feel about buffering, a game isn't less deep because its easier to learn how to play. I really don't think people will start losing to new players simply because they could perform on a similar technical level. The new players will still have to bait, read, and outplay people to win.
Agreed. I don't see the point of making the game harder in areas that are not even particularily interesting.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
If you want to argue about buffer, please do it in the Project M thread, not here. This thread is for the tournament, and buffer will be off.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The point of buffer off is that multishining and the true waveshine infinite wouldn't be difficult if it weren't at 0. lol

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Doom, remember that buffer is only off for this specific tournament. 0 buffer is not the standard. Future tournaments could always allow for lighter buffer restrictions.

I really do hope teams can happen at this. :) Still haven't tried P:M dubz at all. :(

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'm crazy busy running this thing but here's a quick update. We got around 40 entrants including Amsah, Shroomed, RockCrock, and Lain. The way things are looking, my money is on Amsah, Lain or Ryoko to win. Very good character representation across the board.

Top Bottom