• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound V Project M Tournament

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Could you explain in a nutshell why buffering is off?

But I have to say I really enjoy this game though

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Buffer is off because it reduces the skill barrier. One of Project M's goals is to be a technically demanding game at high levels, and buffer makes the execution of certain advanced techniques easier, if not trivial. We left it in optionally so people could mess around with it or use it as training wheels or whatever, but it will not be allowed in tournament.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Buffer is off because it reduces the skill barrier. One of Project M's goals is to be a technically demanding game at high levels, and buffer makes the execution of certain advanced techniques easier, if not trivial. We left it in optionally so people could mess around with it or use it as training wheels or whatever, but it will not be allowed in tournament.
:glare:
10:glare:

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Someone name a bunch of pros coming to Pound to get them to namesearch this thread.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Tope SilentWolf Smoke2Joints S2j Lovage Lord HDL Dr. Peepee RockCrock Amsah Armada Mew2King Hungrybox Faab Strawhat Dahean Overtriforce Scar Shroomed Zhu Hax Axe V3ctorman Remen KirbyKaze RaynEX Kels Col Bol Cactuar

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Armada told me was he was interested in participating. Just call him up at the event and make sure it doesn't collide with the actual Melee events. ;)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
^^ YESSSSSSS

He knows Peach isn't in the demo though right? If he wants to try her I can set up the full backroom build somewhere temporarily.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Armada told me was he was interested in participating. Just call him up at the event and make sure it doesn't collide with the actual Melee events. ;)
I am in charge of making this happen.

Armada vs. Amsah GF's in Project M?

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I am in charge of making this happen.

Armada vs. Amsah GF's in Project M?
I don't know about Amsah, but if I remember well, he loved P:M.

If you manage to make this tournament not collide with Melee in the timetable, you'll have lots of great players to participate in P:M.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Interested:
JCaesar
Thunderhorse
Cmart
Count Kaiser
Vist
BigWenz
CTL
Strong Bad
GHNeko
GuruKid
RyokoYaksa
ChiboSempai
GIMR
A New England Winter
Composer
KBizzle
The Upholder
Shroomed
Armada
A TON of other people who haven't expressly said that they're entering (which is the basic problem with a list like this. It's misleadingly small because a hell of a lot more people are going to enter).

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Interested:
JCaesar
Thunderhorse
Cmart
Count Kaiser
Vist
BigWenz
CTL
Strong Bad
GHNeko
GuruKid
RyokoYaksa
ChiboSempai
GIMR
A New England Winter
Composer
KBizzle
The Upholder
Shroomed
Armada
A TON of other people who haven't expressly said that they're entering (which is the basic problem with a list like this. It's misleadingly small because a hell of a lot more people are going to enter).
Ok thanks JCaeasar :) I'll guess I have to wait a couple of days for the complete list. Anyways I wish you guys a great tournament, I've gotta feeling that this is gonna be big :)

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Entering if I attend.

Edit: Never mind. Buffering is off, wtf? Not going to touch this game with no buffering when lightpressing the shoulder buttons makes you air dodge.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Entering if I attend.

Edit: Never mind. Buffering is off, wtf? Not going to touch this game with no buffering when lightpressing the shoulder buttons makes you air dodge.
They're not really related but k...

Anyway, just hold your airdodge button down when you plug in your controller. Bingo, no light presses!

Max Ketchum

Sounds like someone needs to practice a little...

Anyway, just hold your airdodge button down when you plug in your controller. Bingo, no light presses!
Didn't know that worked, good to know. Still, I like light pressing for shielding and L-canceling.

I'm not going to practice a horribly unnatural-feeling WD that will mess with my timing for real Melee. 4-6 frames of buffering completely solves the problem.

Edit: They're totally related. In Melee, I've completely naturalized the gap between pressing jump and the full click of my shoulder button--in Project M, with 0 frames of buffer, I have to delay applying ANY pressure to the shoulder buttons. It feels really awkward.

"It closes the skill gap" isn't a good reason for a game that's still relatively new to most people, imo. There are new timings that people aren't going to be used to frame-perfectly yet. Plus, wasn't "expanding the player demographic to both Melee and Brawl players by incorporating a select few Brawl elements" one of the original goals of the project? I'm pretty sure the thread said that back when I read it upon creation.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
The timing really isn't THAT different (unless you press the trigger really slowly in melee for some reason).

There are a lot of timings that are different, and buffering isn't going to fix them all.

Max Ketchum

Considering buffering and light presses are not related...wtf?
Perhaps you have a better explanation for why I have to time my finger's movement on the shoulder buttons differently for a WD aside from the fact that lightpressing it air dodges in this game? Buffering makes the air dodge come out immediately after the character leaves the ground as long as I hit it after X and before they exit jumpsquat--0 buffer + lightpress when assuming the timing for a full press = jump and do nothing.

Edit: Buffering obviously won't (and shouldn't) fix EVERYTHING, but it makes the differences blend in much more smoothly. Seeing how this is the first large-scale tournament for the game, I see no reason to keep it off at the moment. Hasn't the demo only been out for ten days?

Revven

FrankerZ
Didn't know that worked, good to know. Still, I like light pressing for shielding and L-canceling.

I'm not going to practice a horribly unnatural-feeling WD that will mess with my timing for real Melee. 4-6 frames of buffering completely solves the problem.

Edit: They're totally related. In Melee, I've completely naturalized the gap between pressing jump and the full click of my shoulder button--in Project M, with 0 frames of buffer, I have to delay applying ANY pressure to the shoulder buttons. It feels really awkward.

"It closes the skill gap" isn't a good reason for a game that's still relatively new to most people, imo. There are new timings that people aren't going to be used to frame-perfectly yet. Plus, wasn't "expanding the player demographic to both Melee and Brawl players by incorporating a select few Brawl elements" one of the original goals of the project? I'm pretty sure the thread said that back when I read it upon creation.
Every time I see someone says "omg buffer fixes wavedashing" I literally facepalm because this is simply not true at all.

The two differences regarding airdodges: Light presses on the shoulder button register an airdodge in PM, but not in melee. This is likely the biggest impact for a player such as yourself throwing off your timing the most. The second is that your character moves on frame 2 rather than frame 1 of an airdodge.

Landing detection makes you land earlier though, so people who actually don't perfect wavedash 100% of the time actually see smoother wavedashes than before, not less precise.

The timing for jumpsquat, and jump physics are identical. Buffer in no way makes the input any faster, its just making up for the fact that your actually registering the airdodge earlier than you realized due to light presses (so it buffers the input through jumpsquat for you, correcting your mistake). Hope this clarifies the problem, for you.
And I realize you're going to continue to believe that buffering fixes the issue even if I or anyone else tells you otherwise.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Perhaps you have a better explanation for why I have to time my finger's movement on the shoulder buttons differently for a WD aside from the fact that lightpressing it air dodges in this game?
Nope, that's pretty much the reason
Buffering makes the air dodge come out immediately after the character leaves the ground as long as I hit it after X and before they exit jumpsquat--0 buffer + lightpress when assuming the timing for a full press = jump and do nothing.
That's cause buffering carries over the input that you put in the last x frames (where x is the buffer your at). Did you know that buffering applies to EVERY action?

And unless your finger is slow as molasses in melee and you spend all day getting to that button input, adjusting to the new wavedash timing shouldn't be hard, since it's only slightly faster than melee wavedashing. It hardly "messes with your Melee WD timing" because it's no different than learning how to wavedash with a character who's jump is 1 frame slower than your main in melee (the difference is seriously that minor)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar

You're mainly a Brawl player, so I don't get why you'd prefer to light press for shielding. Brawl beat my lightshielding reflex out of me within a week of release.

We are adding the Brawl elements that add competitive depth (RAR, glidetoss, etc), not the ones that reduce the tech skill necessary to excel. And that's exactly what buffer does. It affects a lot more than just wavedashing.

I'm sorry if you disagree, but buffer is most definitely going to stay banned. Project M is not Melee, it is a new game. People are going to have to adapt to the small differences (until we hopefully get them fixed). Most haven't had any trouble whatsoever.

Max Ketchum

Every time I see someone says "omg buffer fixes wavedashing" I literally facepalm because this is simply not true at all.

And I realize you're going to continue to believe that buffering fixes the issue even if I or anyone else tells you otherwise.
No need to be a condescending prick there, bucko. I fully understand how buffering functions and why it makes it feel "right" to me.

Nope, that's pretty much the reason

That's cause buffering carries over the input that you put in the last x frames (where x is the buffer your at). Did you know that buffering applies to EVERY action?
Yes. Yes, I did.

And unless your finger is slow as molasses in melee and you spend all day getting to that button input, adjusting to the new wavedash timing shouldn't be hard, since it's only slightly faster than melee wavedashing. It hardly "messes with your Melee WD timing" because it's no different than learning how to wavedash with a character who's jump is 1 frame slower than your main in melee (the difference is seriously that minor)
I'm certainly not driving my finger into the trigger, but I've never heard anybody tell me that my fingers are moving too slow, rofl. I mean, maybe that's the case, and it certainly explains why it feels so strange to me. I experimented with various Melee character timings with various Project M characters and it still all felt awkward...the lightpress is a huge deal for me. Perhaps I do have slow fingers (lol?).

shanus

Smash Hero
Buffering actually does fix the issue. Basically, he likely begins inputting the airdodge command during jumpsquat since he is trying to do a full shoulder press. Since with 0 buffer this won't trigger anything when entering jump, but with buffering on it will buffer the light press through. What he said is technically correct.

Top Bottom