• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Talk Final Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Because someone had to make this thread eventually.

Final Fantasy's 2d games were all on Nintendo consoles so they've got that going for them. The trouble is every game has a different protagonist and the first game had generic ones and the most recent was PS and XBOX only so they can't go the Fire Emblem route with the first and most recent reps.

How would it be?

Here's a list of the most common ones suggested

From FF 1
Black Mage
FIghter/Warrior (Either original Red or Dissidia's one)
White Mage

From FF 3
Moogles

From FF 4
Cecil Harvey

From FF 6
Terra Bradford

From 3D Final Fantasy games
Cloud Strife
Squall Leonhart
Lightning

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's obvious that Black Mage reigns supreme as the best option for a Final Fantasty rep.

:phone:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
if a Final Fantasy character is to appear, let him/her be from the first game. Wouldn't mind the Black Mage, since there are few magic based characters in Smash.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Black Mage. Done.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Black Mage. Done.
I think he even appeared in some Mario games, so it's not out of possibility. It's just a matter of Nintendo asking Square-Enix for the character...
inb4genofans

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I fully support Terra's inclusion in Smash 4.

keero16

Smash Rookie
If there's going to be a Final Fantasy it will probably be Cecil, SE seems to obsess over FFIV

But if you ask me I think Sora would be a more probable character than anyone from FF. But that's just me.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How about the warrior so we can see some sword chucks

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
No love for the Chocobo? It, the Cactuar, and the Moogle are pretty much the "mascots" of Final Fantasy.

Plus, it'd be fun seeing another non-humanoid character.

Barbasol

Smash Ace

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
I can't imagine why they wouldn't consider this guy... as being the star of one of the most critically beloved games of all time, seems like a good choice:
He's not Final Fantasy. ;)

I'd love Chrono, but Square Enix seems determined to forget him. Hell, even the sequel to Chrono Trigger seemed determined to forget him.

A Frog AT should totally do that mountain splitting attack with Masamune/Grandleon.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Since Goku's outta the question, Crono's the next best thing.
I can't say Chrono Trigger is the best final fantasy game ever because it's the only one I ever played, but I mean come on! Art by Akira Toriyama! Time Traveling! Alternate Endings! The weapon you equipped actually showed on your character! That was huge! Everything about this game screams Best!

huh what's that? It's not a real Final Fantasy game? Yer damn right it's not cause it's 10 times better! (Then again I wouldn't know cause it's the only RPG I played that wasn't Pokemon)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Chrono and the gang all died horrible, gruesome deaths though by the time of Chrono Cross

Life

Smash Hero
Seems this is now a general Squenix discussion thread, rather than FF?

I agree that Sora is more likely than any FF character, but for actual FF characters I'd eliminate anyone after 6 (sorry, Cloud) since those games aren't on Nintendo consoles AFAIK. I think something like Moogle is much more likely than one of the PCs, though.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
My personal choice is Tifa. But if we are going for "icons" it would be Black Mage or Chocobo who is basically the series' Yoshi.

Cecil Harvey would be an excellent choice as well.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Seems this is now a general Squenix discussion thread, rather than FF?

I agree that Sora is more likely than any FF character, but for actual FF characters I'd eliminate anyone after 6 (sorry, Cloud) since those games aren't on Nintendo consoles AFAIK. I think something like Moogle is much more likely than one of the PCs, though.
While FF7 hasn't been on a Nintendo console, Cloud and Squall BOTH have been on Nintendo consoles

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I doubt Sora would be in it he's more a Playstation character at least in the public eye.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't want to be the one that says this, but (other than possibly Black Mage) if a FF character is going to get in it's most likely going to be Cloud. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather see someone like Terra, but Cloud's got ridiculously more popularity than any other potential FF character, and technically he has appeared on a Nintendo system. He would appeal and please the masses more than he would upset some Nintendo and FF fans, and would generate more hype and interest than other FF characters would, even taking into account all his detractors. He would most likely come in first in any hypothetical "FF in Smash" character poll, as there are alot of people that would like to see his inclusion, even if not many are here. Plus other than some generic reoccurring characters or Gilgamesh, he would probably be the best representation of his franchise, as he is the most well-known and popular FF character, and appears very regularly in FF products.

That being said, I don't think he's the most likely choice for a SE rep, just one of the two most likely FF reps. And again, I'm not a FF fangirl or a Cloud fangirl (like I said, I'd much rather have other FF characters over him), I'm just looking at it from a point of view that prioritizes the general consensus and overall reception (which is usually what Sakurai looks at as well) above a comparatively small portion of irritated fans.

Don't flame me.
:sadeyes:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Do handhelds count? The only game they appeared in playable form - to my knowledge - is Theatrhythm Final Fantasy.
Ofc handhelds count, as long as it's a Nintendo handheld. There have been characters included that had previously only appeared on handhelds, and even if there weren't, as long as it's made by Nintendo, it counts. ;)

And yeah, so far Cloud and Squall have only been playable in Theatrhythm on a Nintendo system, but Cloud had previously appeared in a couple Kingdom Hearts games on Nintendo systems, for whatever that counts for.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Black Mage.

No other job class is as iconic. Yes, Red Mage is ideal for varied FF gameplay (is basically Warrior + Black/White Mage), but Black Mage. No single named character has a chance. No Cloud Strife. No Terra Branford. No Cecil Harvey. No Squall, Tidus, Zidane, Lightning, or even Vivi. See, all of those characters compete because they're in a whole 'nother tier. They're in a tier right below Black Mage. As others have discussed, Black Mage has been playable in two Mario sports games now. White Mage, Ninja, Moogle, and Cactuar have also appeared (goes to show how important Cloud and folks are) but Black Mage is still the most identifiable. It is interesting to note the design of White Mage, as an equivalent female to Peach and Daisy in looks:

[collapse=Mario Hoops]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Mario Sports Mix]
[/collapse]
Notice the similarities? White Mage was redesigned to reflect the other two, sporting a crown of her own, earrings, and a chest jewel—as well as pink hair, which compliments the blonde and brown of Peach and Daisy, pink hair that looks to be a hybrid of Lightning and Rosalina's actually. But White Mage is a supporting character, as she heals in combat, whereas Black Mage utilizes offensive magic primarily. For a fighting game, he is more viable. White Mage would be a great assist, but Chocobo would be better. So:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Black Mage.

No other job class is as iconic. Yes, Red Mage is ideal for varied FF gameplay (is basically Warrior + Black/White Mage), but Black Mage. No single named character has a chance. No Cloud Strife. No Terra Branford. No Cecil Harvey. No Squall, Tidus, Zidane, Lightning, or even Vivi. See, all of those characters compete because they're in a whole 'nother tier. They're in a tier right below Black Mage. As others have discussed, Black Mage has been playable in two Mario sports games now. White Mage, Ninja, Moogle, and Cactuar have also appeared (goes to show how important Cloud and folks are) but Black Mage is still the most identifiable. It is interesting to note the design of White Mage, as an equivalent female to Peach and Daisy in looks:

[collapse=Mario Hoops]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Mario Sports Mix]
[/collapse]
Notice the similarities? White Mage was redesigned to reflect the other two, sporting a crown of her own, earrings, and a chest jewel—as well as pink hair, which compliments the blonde and brown of Peach and Daisy, pink hair that looks to be a hybrid of Lightning and Rosalina's actually. But White Mage is a supporting character, as she heals in combat, whereas Black Mage utilizes offensive magic primarily. For a fighting game, he is more viable. White Mage would be a great assist, but Chocobo would be better. So:

When you put it that way, it's actually hard to argue that fact. Not to mention that Black Mage has been in every Final Fantasy on a Nintendo console, whether as a character, or as a job class wielded by a character, so it makes sense.

Bdblazen

Smash Cadet
That is true, yet if they really wanted white Mage to fight, they could make it so. Since white mages are able to use light and wind magic to harm their enemies. But yea, I agree with you on Black Mage.

Spire

III
BRoomer
When you put it that way, it's actually hard to argue that fact. Not to mention that Black Mage has been in every Final Fantasy on a Nintendo console, whether as a character, or as a job class wielded by a character, so it makes sense.
Here's a list of every Final Fantasy game on Nintendo consoles (save some like the FF Legends and FF Adventure) and their corresponding Black Mage presences:

Final Fantasy I — Job Class
Final Fantasy II — N/A
Final Fantasy III — Job Class
Final Fantasy IV — Palom and Rydia (to a lesser extent)
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years — "Black Mage" the character
Final Fantasy V — Job Class
Final Fantasy VI — N/A
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Series) — Yuke Race/Job Class
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy — Vivi, Shantotto

That's far more than Cloud, Squall, Lightning, and folks have ever graced a Nintendo console. Black Mage is iconic across the series, but primarily from the early games, namely the first Final Fantasy. The fact that Final Fantasy debuted on Nintendo (as did Metal Gear, which shares a very similar Sony evolution) and continues to release on their systems really lends it strength in potential 3rd Party representation.

I'd say Black Mage, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are the top three 3rd Party potential reps for SSB4.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
What if they decided to opt for Warrior of Light? I mean, he was technically the first Final Fantasy character, and although Black Mage has appeared in Final Fantasy I, he basically is Warrior of Light in the Black Mage job class. I mean, I'm sure WoL's chances are significantly smaller than Black Mage in general, but I figured it's worth thinking about.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Warrior of Light is possible.

*wait a minute*

Warrior of Light: Warrior, Black Mage, White Mage, Ninja. Four interchangeable movesets.

While unlikely, this is an interesting idea. Reminds me of the "Crystal Caravan" idea that floated around the SSB4 thread ca. 2008. Would be a nice way to represent four Final Fantasy playstyles, though I don't see Warrior and Ninja bringing much originality to the table. Black Mage is ultimately the most compelling of the job classes because of how different it is from everything currently in Smash Bros.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I wonder how White Mage would work. I mean, White Mages aren't known for offense, so they could work to lower their own %, though trying to make the ability non-OP could be a possible issue.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I can't imagine why they wouldn't consider this guy... as being the star of one of the most critically beloved games of all time, seems like a good choice:

Crono
Series: Chrono Trigger (SNES)

Assist Trophies:
Frog

Trophies:
Crono
Frog
Robo
Lucca
Marle
Magus
Ayla
Lavos

Gato
Azala
Rolly Imp

Music Tracks:
Frog's Theme:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5FFDj7vH6E
Magus' Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfCV1bVOiGc
Boss Battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFOIFPHbjN4
This guy right here. Also I vote for Terra if has to be Final Fantasy. FFVI was the last truly great FF game on a nintendo console so this would be the perfect rep. But if a FF character does make it in, it'll probably be the overrated Cloud...

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I wonder how White Mage would work. I mean, White Mages aren't known for offense, so they could work to lower their own %, though trying to make the ability non-OP could be a possible issue.
I can see White Mage using spells like Holy, Reflect and Protect/Shell. Holy could be used to create beam attacks or balls of energy, Reflect could be used as a reflector shield, and Protect/Shell could be used offensively as a shield bash. Maybe she could even use Time Magic, such as Haste or Slow. She also could have access to the weapons that White Mages use in the series, such as hammers and morning stars.

I see a little moveset potential for White Mage; maybe she could be bundled with Black Mage as a Zelda/Shiek team. If all else fails, she might be able to be an AT with Curaga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom