• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Talk Final Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if I can get this discussion going again (not the one about vs thirteen)

Sony All stars taught us that crossovers are often seen as free advertising. Some are flexible about it (Big daddy as playable but the stage is from the new game) while others are more stubborn (Capcom wouldn't even allow a Classic Dante costume).

I'm thinking Sqeenix would try including their latest characters for the next ninty based Final Fantasy (anyone know what that is?)

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Do you know how long it took Duke Nuken forever to come out?

Forever
I think he also means that it might end up being the worst installment in the series, despite the forever wait. Which basically Duke Nukem forever was. If Versus XIII does ever get released, i hope it won't be like Duke Nukem Forever. From what i've seen from the game it really looks like something i'd want to try out. It's got that dark-esque feel to it that FF games has been lacking recently.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I want to play versus XIII. It's the only recent final fantasy game I want to play. I have no desire to play any of the FF XIII games (XIII-3, really?) but versus. Anything under XIII is fine with me, I'm thinking of playing through IX again.

As for a FF character in smash bros? I'd like to see Black Mage. He seems like one of the better choices (no god please no Cloud or Lightning).

:phone:

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
I think he also means that it might end up being the worst installment in the series, despite the forever wait. Which basically Duke Nukem forever was. If Versus XIII does ever get released, i hope it won't be like Duke Nukem Forever. From what i've seen from the game it really looks like something i'd want to try out. It's got that dark-esque feel to it that FF games has been lacking recently.
FF XIV exists, therefore it can never be the worst game in the series.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it exists it can be the worst game in the series by being worse than the other games.

If it didn't exist, then it wouldn't be possible to be the worst in the series

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I hope this tread isn't as dead as some are saying the FF series is.

Black Mage for Smash 4

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Black Mage is my favourite character in Super Smash Flash 2, and I will be happy to see him in Smash as well.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be an appropriate nod to the Nintendo-exclusive Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series to have a character from one of those games appear; e.g. Layle.

Layle is the protagonist of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers. He . . . possesses a very unique trait. Layle is a Crystal Bearer, someone who is born with a Crystal shard inside their body; this crystal provides Layle with gravity-based telekinetic powers. Layle is . . . well-known for his abilities and takes on jobs as a mercenary for hire.

Spire

III
BRoomer
It would never happen, but it'd be interesting if Square sold Final Fantasy to Nintendo before their inevitable Disney purchase. Nintendo should also buy back Banjo-Kazooie. With those two in-court, Ninty would be really influential.

Anyways, +1 for Black Mage as always.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
I want Terra and/or Cecil. But what about Bartz from Final Fantasy V. He is consider a mimic master that he could use moves from other FF warriors and/or Nintendo characters.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I want Terra and/or Cecil. But what about Bartz from Final Fantasy V. He is consider a mimic master that he could use moves from other FF warriors and/or Nintendo characters.
Yeah, an advantage of Bratz would be that maybe with him; we could have access to all the characters we want inside like the Mages as he can switch into them. Maybe even get powers from other FF characters!

I think it would be an appropriate nod to the Nintendo-exclusive Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series to have a character from one of those games appear; e.g. Layle.

Layle is the protagonist of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers. He . . . possesses a very unique trait. Layle is a Crystal Bearer, someone who is born with a Crystal shard inside their body; this crystal provides Layle with gravity-based telekinetic powers. Layle is . . . well-known for his abilities and takes on jobs as a mercenary for hire.
And yeah, there is also the Crystal saga which is exclusive to Nintendo. Not quite considered as basically it is Final Fantasy in name only, and it was full of mostly generic characters; until the Bearers game. I can imagine the main character from there to play in a similar way to the Coles in PSASBR.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
Bartz A moves,some grab moves could be from Warrior of Light,Firion,Onion Knight,Cecil,Kain,Cloud,Tifa,Squall,,Zidane,Vaan and Lightning while his b moves could be from Terra,Laguna,Garnett and Yuna.

finalark

SNORLAX
If for some reason Square wants to give Nintendo the rights to an FF character it will probably be for a character from FF1. Hopefully Red Mage.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Alright, I've decided to sake my thirst for detailed Final Fantasy discussion here instead of on my SquareEnix thread. Let's talk about Layle for a bit. I've not played his game but he does seem like an excellent candidate for a Square Enix character. Decided to give him a special moves moveset because I apparently have too much time on my hands.

LAYLE, The Crystal Bearer
Up, AUTOKINESIS
Layle starts glowing and floats in the air. For the next 2 or 3 seconds, Layle will freely accelerate in any direction indicated. If he start moving fast enough, flying into objects and enemies will damage them.​
While floating, Layle can still act freely as if he was simply in the air, so he could still use normal attacks and his other specials. Using Up special again deactivates autokinesis.​
Side, PSI LEASH
His bread and butter move from The Crystal Bearers, he lashes out with a glowing blue whip. If he hits an item or a person, they become surrounded by glowing energy and can't move. Blocking does prevent being grabbed by the psi leash. When the player indicates a direction, the item/enemy will be thrown in that direction. Throws will always be the same distance, not proportional to %. If the item/enemy is thrown at Layle, he will grab it.​
An excellent way to get items before enemies and a fantastic way to reliably throw enemies into traps or set up combos.​
Neutral, GRAVITY FIELD
Layle concentrates and forms a glowing bubble of energy around him. All objects in the bubble are pushed away from Layle, making it a foolproof method to make any projectile get deflected in another direction or mess up an enemy's air-game. The ultimate jerkish use is to jump down at people who are trying to recover, using autokinesis to float in their way, and then using gravity well to lightly push them to oblivion.​
Down, PSIJACK
A unique counter attack. Layle's crystal flashes and he holds his hand up and concentrates. If an enemy hits him with a melee attack, they get possessed by Layle for a time period relative to their %. He can make them move around but he cannot make them use specials (to prevent him from wasting charged up attacks or jumping off and using up their recovery). He can, however, make enemies recklessly jump at other enemies and swing at them with no thought of safety or start attacking explosive items.​
While an enemy is psijacked, Layle's body is left vulnerable. If he psijacked someone mid-air, his body stays floating in place until he returns to his body.​
I would love to play as this guy. It sounds super fun.​

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
if anyone from Final Fantasy appears, I would love to see either Lightning or Serah. and for those skeptics, they both appeared in Theatrhythm which is a 3DS exclusive

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
With all the more specific Final Fantasy rep threads showing up lately I thought I'd give this old thing the kiss of life.

Black Mage seems to be the favorite while the over-designed Warrior of Light from Dissidia is used in ad material for FF remakes.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
To be perfectly honest, even as a Geno fan (who kind of thinks Nintendo'd probably go for Geno before a Final Fantasy character if they were gonna ask Square to put someone in Smash, but that's a whole other can of worms), I'm not against the idea of having a Final Fantasy character in a Smash game. I wouldn't mind seeing Chocobos or Moogles as assist trophies, or a main character from one of the older FFs like Cecil or Terra be a playable character. Especially Terra. FF6 was easily the best Final Fantasy IMO.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Since Final Fantasy IV is the only Final Fantasy game I actually spent a lot of time with... my support goes to Cecil Harvey.

I have not spent much time with Final Fantasy VI but it is the second Final Fantasy game I played... so my second most-wanted Final Fantasy is Terra Branford.

If a specific character it would probably be Cecil, Terra, or possibly someone like Layle (although not as likely).

If a class type the Black Mage speaks specifical to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom