• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

02.21.09 Vayseth's All-Wii-Fighter Tournament! Ann Arbor MI (SSBB, TvC, Naruto EX3)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
This is a maybe for me, since I've been here before, and now that I live in Fort Wayne it cuts off about 40 minutes from the drive.

Just MAKE SURE both rooms are open. Did you host it successfully in December? I only went to the November one.

Cha0s Finale

Smash Cadet
Im gonna beg my friend to see if he can get the day off of work so we can go, I reallyyyy want to play some TvC with Panda. :D

My team atm is Morrigan/Yattaman ^^

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
God, Yattaman can be such a pain to deal with sometimes.

When I'm not using Joe :D

Cha0s Finale

Smash Cadet

Yeah, I just picked up Yattaman earlier today. (Considering this is only the 3rd day ive had the game)

Im beginning to start looking for a diff char to go with him though, im not into Morrigan too much. I was messing around with Saki, Ryu, and *gasp* Joe, but I havent really decided. o.o

TheWildcard

Smash Champion

or unless im roll ;)

Yeah, I just picked up Yattaman earlier today. (Considering this is only the 3rd day ive had the game)

Im beginning to start looking for a diff char to go with him though, im not into Morrigan too much. I was messing around with Saki, Ryu, and *gasp* Joe, but I havent really decided. o.o
ryu is good, and yattaman is campy which is why i use him....ok its for the huge kambos

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Yattaman is the opposite of campy. His camping game sucks balls, but his rushdown is amazing due to his aerial dp attack that is really difficult for most characters to punish.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
So I was thinking about coming, but it would be only for singles because I don't have a doubles partner. And I don't think I would want to drive all that way just for singles:urg:.

So right about now is when I start posting on the internet saying "Does anyone want to team?" hoping some random guy hasn't seen me play yet and would be willing to put ten dollars on my competence.

So without further ado,
Anyone looking for a doubles partner ;)

In all seriousness I am not that bad. I am like at least mediocre...on a good day.

Danithak

Smash Rookie
I heard that this was being pushed back, and I really wanted to come, but then I realized that I'll be leaving for my hometown on Friday. :(

Is this seriously the last tourney you'll be running Vayseth? :( x2

Vayseth

Smash Master
It's possible. It all depends on the job market, really. If I get a job, I'll by default have to go to/run less tournaments. I *NEED* a job, but I can't find one ANYWHERE.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Alright guys, I have unbanned the King Dedede infinite grab. I have been talking to a lot of people about this issue and finally came to my decision. Here's my reasoning:

Hey guys, I have been talking with people and I have come to the conclusion that this is a dumb rule. I was originally for it but... Until the ICs chain grab is banned, there's no reason D3's should be banned.

D3 has HARD counters all over the cast and in the top tiers even. Pikachu, Falco, Olimar, Metaknight, Mr. Game and Watch, and Zelda/Sheik all give King Dedede a run for his money and are not chaingrabbable. IC's "hard counters" are who... G+W, MK, and ROB? I live in the same state with 2 of the highest placing IC players on record and only a couple hours from the MK/ICs player from Canada and another ICs player who makes it out to Midwest circuit events who has placed in the top 3 at an event before. I know this match up backwards, forwards and sideways. ICs are "countered" by ROB, G+W, and MK but in practice I think the ICs are at worst at a SLIGHT disadvantage in ANY match up because of their chaingrab. If they don't ban their chaingrabs, there's no reason why we should ban ours. At least there are VERY feasible counters. There's 12 characters we can't chain grab and two with invincible up Bs (MK on frame 5 and G+W for the start up) where we can't even down throw tech chase them. It's as simple as counterpicking here. This makes Dedede dittos ANNOYING but it's something we're going to have to live with.

Why should we give an advantage to these characters affected by the walking/standing chaingrabs? What did they do to warrant a perfectly legitimate strategy against them be nullified? I think we should consider than without his chain grab, DDD is an "okay" character and ICs are GARBAGE. As the game progresses, I'm sure we'll find out more and more about lower tiers and other character in general which allow them to do something similar. Until then, learn the match up or counter pick.
If anyone has any questions or comments, feel free to PM me or hit me up on AIM. I don't want this thread cluttered with arguments for or against this... >.<

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
Team with JKBUK Sauce boss
I am not sure he even plays anymore. I haven't talked to him since west bloomfield and he was talking about quitting after that.

So ya if anyone needs a partner I am still looking. I might just go even if I don't find one, but still it would be sweeter if I had one.

Can we talk stages? I think pictochat and norfair are stupid. Norfair has like 40 ledges that just beg you to ledge camp AND stage hazards slow it down even more. Pictochat has dumb stage hazards too. I always thought the thing was to avoid maps with stage hazards :confused:.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I'll talk to you later about that stuff, but I felt I should at least mention that Snake also has a distinct advantage against the ICs.

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
I'll talk to you later about that stuff, but I felt I should at least mention that Snake also has a distinct advantage against the ICs.
yeah vayseth forgot snake. (lol i use two ICs counters.)

but yeah dang i really need to think about that for my tournaments after looking at that logic.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
vay me and ham are 75% sure we r gunna come but he is trying to convince his mom for a ride there and back

Vayseth

Smash Master
Man, this tournament is going to be pro =)

Oh, I'm almost considering rebanning the infinite. It'll be a tournament-time decision.

Vayseth

Smash Master
:bumper:

Just to remind everyone this IS tomorrow and I hope to see all of you there! I will have a new system in place to protect everyone's stuff and NO ONE, I mean NO ONE is allowed to take any systems without my permission. If you see anyone taking a system without my permission you are to stop them and have someone else get me immediately. I WILL NOT tolerate any stolen property at my tournament. I have a new system in place, and I hope it runs smoothly.

Also, for the people who are chipping in towards Ham's fees: talk to me. I have something special for ya.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Date/Times

Registration @ 12 pm until 1 pm. If you are bringing a set up I would like you to be here sometime around 12 noon. I will register people in two waves. First between 12 pm and 1 pm (and before each tournament) and again at 5 pm for the later tournaments. Thanks!

Super Smash Brothers Brawl Doubles: 1 pm!

Naruto Shippuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX3: 3 pm!

Brawl Singles: 5 pm!

Tatsunoko vs Capcom: 6 pm!

These are approximate times.

Price:

*Venue fee: $5
Super Smash Brothers Brawl Doubles: $20 per team
Super Smash Brothers Brawl Singles: $10 per person
Naruto Shippuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX3 Singles: $2 per person
Tatsunoko vs Capcom: $5 per person

POSSIBLE SIDE TOURNAMENT:

Street Fighter 4: $1 per person.*
Sumer Smash Brothers 64: $1 per person.**

Payout is standard 60%/30%/10% for all events. Percentages may change based on turnout.

*SF4 will be played if there is time, enough people, and at least one set up that does not conflict with the other headlining tournaments. It will occur AFTER TvC has completed. No exceptions.
**A station with the Japanese version of SSB64 will be available for you to play. This will be on the virtual console. A tournament may happen but during the break between singles and doubles.

*venue fee will be waived when you bring a WHOLE set up (wii w/ game + a TV). Venue fee may also include some food and drinks. Details TBA. Only a limited number of set ups will be allowed. Please let me know if you are bringing one.

The $5 venue fee can be paid via trade ins. Aka, old games/systems/whatever, can be traded in to the store as opposed to paying a venue fee. I would call the store first to see if they have too many of something (and therefore wouldn't take it in) and their number is available on their website (above). So, take advantage of this offer!

Here is the stage list for BRAWL:

Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Poke'mon Stadium 1

They will be picked 1 - 2 - 1 and who chooses first will be decided by RPS.

Counter Picks:
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Norfair
Jungle Japes
Frigate Orpheon
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2

You may ban one stage from either list after the striking process is over.

Each station will have a list of stages that you may select to avoid confusion. Also, if you and your opponent(s) agree, you may play any stage you want, banned or not. If you have any questions, please let me know before the tournament or before your match. If the match is already in progress you are stuck.

If you use any controller styles that use the wiimote you will be responsible for removing the batteries inbetween your matches. Failure to do so can result in a DQ.

In addition to the SBR rules, King Dedede's standing infinite and walking/nudging chaingrabs will be banned. Any chain grab done with King Dedede MUST include a dash between each grab. Standing infinites include: the no-wall infinites on Samus, Mario, Luigi, and Donkey Kong; the ledge infinite on King Dedede, Bowser, Wolf, etc; the walking nudging chaingrab on Wario, Ganondorf, Wolf, Bowser, etc. Any chain grabs done in place on moving platforms or against a wall are legal, as these are only temporary stage-specific occurrences and no legal stages have permanent walls.

The previous rule does not prohibit any form of grab release set ups, combos, infinites, etc.
Notes you should all be aware of:

1. The venue changed its hours. You cannot enter before 12 noon! Remember this!!

2. I want to stick to the tournament schedule if possible. Please be there no later than 1 pm for doubles!! Call the venue if you will be late. The number is on their website.

3. Keep note of the cost of the tournament, and now to get your venue fee waived. I hope to have plenty of set ups at this!!!

4. Street Fighter 4 and SSB64 may have side tournaments if time allows. The stipulations are listed above. I expect them to have at least one set up each if there is space.

5. The final stage list is posted. READ IT. NO JOHNS.

6. King Dedede's infinite will be banned. The exact things that are banned are listed in great detail. Make sure you know what is banned and what isn't.

I hope to see you all tomorrow =)

TheMann

Smash Ace
I'm hopefully going to this. I have a ride but money is tight. Its always something these days... Is there gonna be food for venue again?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I might miss out this time, job hunting sucks and need to do a log of stuff because of my student loan bill. =/

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
ding i would team but a few things
- me and ham arent comin b/c of weather and ride johns (psycho moms wont let us get a ride with vayseth home)
- okiyama being france is bad cuz he was gunna house us

o and vayseth are u still gunna collect ham's money because there is a slim chance we might stop by and grab his money then just leave lol

Vayseth

Smash Master
Um, no XD I was offering to let Ham ENTER and people could donate to allow him to enter.

I'm not like collecting money for him or anything. I actually want people to ya know, show up. Plus I never got word, aren't you getting a ride home with us??

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
There's a retardedly high chance that I'll get snowed in and won't be able to go.

My car literally can't handle more than 6 inches of snow.

Lain knows this all too well.

dingding

Smash Ace
ori u sound arrogant as fk, "we'll come and collect the money" no 1 is suppose to give u money, we are donating to ham's entry fee cause we feel bad, it's not our fault that u lost the wii, ITS UR WII u lost it why do we have to pay for it? ur statement sounds just blantly ********... =P

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
ori u sound arrogant as fk, "we'll come and collect the money" no 1 is suppose to give HAM money, we are donating to ham's entry fee cause we feel bad, it's not our fault that SOMEONE STOLE IT, ITS Ham's WII and since SOMEONE STOLE it why do we have to pay for it? ur statement sounds just blantly ********... =P
I see some errors so i highlighted them in red
and omniswell said that everyone should give ham $5 to help....*******

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Uh, people should feel free to donate money to Ham since he lost the Wii, not obligated. The way you're talkin', almost sounds like it's everyone else's fault that Ham's Wii got stolen, so we should be the ones to pay for it.

Omniswell said it's be nice to help, not WE NEED TO HELP HAM AND IF YOU AREN'T THEN YOU'RE A *****.

Top Bottom