• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10/29/2009 Gigabits - Rest In Peace

Toneh

Smash Lord
dam that sucks =(.
pretty unexpected..
gigs was always great with the smash tournies since way back.

Don't know where all the consistent orlando tournies are gonna happen now

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Gig's was CFL Smash's home, for real. I have so many fond memories of smash and the tourney scene thanks to that place. I'm seriously sad to see it go

RIP Gigabits, I guarantee it will be missed.

Equi

Smash Ace
When I think of tournaments and a tournament atmosphere, I always thought Gigabits. Gigabits is like the official NFL/NBA/Smash/whathave you stadium of competition. It just had that vibe of "official."

This seriously sucks.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
I didn't get into the CFL scene till Fall '07. Regardless, I heard much folklore from Ric Rohins back when I was a baby smasher in Tampa. Lots of history and smash generations imbued within the venue. I don't think anyone saw this coming!

At the same time, I'd like to thank Hungrybox and his family for consistently hosting the WATO series at their place. I hope others who have the passion and importantly, time ,for the game can step it up. I'm able to host 15-20 man tournies here, but the Gainesville smashfests at Scorpions is much better space till then.

RIP Gigs, I learned a lot.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I'll never be able to replace gigs, but i will hold tournies at my place when the community wants, and i can fit up to 30 comfortably with my new layout

i live like 3 minutes from gigs, and am closer than gigs for most people coming from the highway (i think)

i wonder if anyone is buying the gigs space, or if it will be available

me and seibrik should buy it ourselves :)

a real smasher run tournament zone with different tournaments for all games every fri sat sun

that'd be cool

i wonder what the rent on the building is

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
i remember when gigs had their weekly smashfest, where noobtest and cake eaters would battle it out in crew battles. I entered gigs as a total scrub, and looked up to my fellow crew mates and mainly derf because he mained falcon. 10/29/09 we will never forget.

can someone post that ugly drawing with the pissed off man saying

FFFfffffFFFuuUUuuuuUUUCcccc.cKKKKKKKKK!!!

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
Redhalberd has the honor of winning the last tournament Gigabits ever held.

Colbol has the honor of winning the most melee tournaments as well as the final melee tournament Gigabits held.

Seibrik has the honor of winning the most brawl tournaments Gigabits held.

I have the honor of having the highest seeding points at the end of Gigabits' final tournament season.

Florida has the honor of having great experiences and awesome memories at such a simple yet timeless venue.

We shared great memories, amazing matches, and hilarious laughs with each other, and grew as a community and family through what appears at first to be just a game.

But it's more than that.

Rest in Peace, Gigabits.

Thank you, Cecil, for showing us (at least me) what a competitive experience and atmosphere is really like.

Thank you, Mwarhead, for trying your best to deal with all of us annoying smashers when Cecil wasn't there, lol.

Thank you, Florida, for always showing up, even for a 140 man tournament which lasted to 7 in the morning.

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
****.....this was where i made the most epic comebacks and wins since playing smash, it was my first tourney venue as well now i'm sad mad, and heartbroken, wtf dammit.....Gigs atmoshpere will be so hard to recreate

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Well this is disappointing. I remember my first Gigabits in '06, not being sure I was in the right place until I heard people outside talking about chain-grabbing.
I remember going to the Melee tournie the day Brawl came out.
I remember being there when Chu, Lucky, Mang0, Scar, and other such pros (on separate accounts) visited our humble CFL home.

So many good memories. We'll miss you Gigabits, you'll always be CFL's original home for smash.

Renki

Smash Journeyman
Due to bad deals from the owner of the center and other...complications, yeah, GB is closed. The staff is still trying to keep the place open, but they have until Saturday to come up with an idea...and money.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
I only went to one, but what a weekend it was even if it was a brawl gigs.

RIP Gigs, thanks for everything you've done to FL smash.

(WTB Twilight Showdown back)

Zoro

Smash Champion
Wow this sucks so bad

Ive been going to these since their first tourney back in 05

I barely went to any other tourneys
gigs is where it all started for me so im really sad with this news

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
RIP Gigs.

you were my most visited tourney venue, and my favorite. a sad day indeed

OverLade

Smash Hero
Thanks Redhalberd for killing off Gigs
Thanks for never coming! :(

This is really horrible. Just when I was getting excited about going to tournaments something like this happens. I was only able to attend 2 gigabit's, but it was a very generous venue where I always felt comfortable.

I'm really sorry that this happened, and I'm absolutely Honored to have been able to win a Gigabits tournament. Good luck to everyone who organized it and I hope we'll still be able to see you in the future.

R.I.P.

Top Bottom