• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

9/20 Syracuse Smash Tourney!!! Get Your Spot Now!

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
[COLOR="Sienna"since you have the syracuse orangemen, how about "Get Squeezed" or something like that. [/COLOR]
L. O. L. Best name ever. Clarification though, it sounds rather odd by itself...

I'll brainstorm it. Also, Goggles, didn't doubles at the Arena take about 3 hours? I always remember waiting forever for singles. With the amount of people he's gonna have I definitely agree for a time alteration.

BTW, thanks to your friend who made the flyer. I'm always confused as to whether or not paying venue allows you to play friendlies.

Kantō

Smash Champion
yea im gunna have to charge a venue for friendlies alos, im nopt being stingy, the place is costing me a lot to rent out

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats the best part of having your tourney on a sunday bry, this way you can come to our rochester tourney that saturday as well

on second thought, i feel like Roc should have gotten another month or so before these tourneys started and that maybe we should have started off with monthlies and moved it down to biweeklys later

Kantō

Smash Champion
i wish it worked like that but saturdays i can never get off from work , it sucks cuz most tourneys are on saturdays

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
on second thought, i feel like Roc should have gotten another month or so before these tourneys started and that maybe we should have started off with monthlies and moved it down to biweeklys later
^This

Because of this not being the case, I wont be there for the premiere tournament:urg:

I've still got your tourney Bry, so it's all good.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
okay is it cash prizes how is it split up? if not im not going

and is it seriously only 2 hours? thats impossible not going if thats the case

Kantō

Smash Champion
okay is it cash prizes how is it split up? if not im not going

and is it seriously only 2 hours? thats impossible not going if thats the case
look the times are just guidelines, a mere agenda. i know that the time will not be enough as stated but we can play for as long as we want. we have all day. dont worry everyone will get to play even if it goes beyond the times that i put.

and yes there will be cash prizes 1st 60 %/2nd 30% /3rd 10%

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
search for a dude named san3711. i think he live around the same area and maybe the two of you can collaborate on something.

and mana, whether you show up or not means nothing, stop trying to make threats when you have no authority.

you arent going to be placing in the money either way.

altairian

Smash Lord
Someone drive me for melee please I live only a tiny bit more than 1 hour away.
If you can't find another ride, toss me a PM and I'll see if I can help you out. It's a bit out of the way for me but it's doable. Oh, I am going for Brawl though so if I was your ride you'd have to hang out till the end (I always stay for the finals and play some friendlies after I get knocked out)

KID, have you switched over to MK like you were talking about at the last taste of buffalo or are you still repping sonic?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Im still making the transition, but with the massive influx of WNY tourneys, im thinking that I will make this tourney, my MK coming out party

altairian

Smash Lord
Ah nice, I was surprised to see how few MK's there were at taste of buffalo, it must be weird for WNY players to go up against so many when they travel without much practice in the matchup

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Trust me, WNY has NO shortage of metaknight practice...

as a matter of fact you should go look up who won the last big WNY tourney, The Battle For Western New York...

It was a metaknight

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
big surprise that MK players are good haha
Same here, until you play an MK and realize your original assumption was correct.

BTW, where's Yoshi's Island (brawl) on the Counterpick list? I know you didn't pick it to be a neutral, but banning it entirely seems strange. I don't really care if you do, I hate that stage:laugh:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
im getting kinda tired of stage striking, its boring tedious and kind of stupid and annoying, cant we just go back to random neutrals, like how it was back in the good ole days of WNY?

with random neutrals, the number of neutral stages doesnt matter

with stage striking, you need an odd number of stages, and while you can have up to seven neutrals in a stage strike system, you never play on a stage thats not BF, FD, or SV, so you might as well just make those 3 the only neutrals. and if Yoshis island brawl isnt a neutral, make sure its on the CP list

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
^It sort of takes away the strategy of stage picking. Being an average Ness player, I hate both Lylat and Yoshi's Island. Since I'm going to strike those stages, my opponent gets to chose the stage out of the 3 left.

If you stage-strike: 100% I wont get a stage I'm bad on, but my opponent choses the stage he's best on.

If you go random: 2/5 chance I'm getting screwed the first round.

Hmm, actually I don't like this either way. Why don't we just let me pick the neutral? XD

Also, I think the stages aren't really chosen at random, rather they're chosen based on the stages that are played the most/least. (Just a guess, cause whenever I pick random we usually go to Yoshi's ******* Island)

BTW, I based the example on the usual BF, FD, SV, YI, and LC neutral setup

Kantō

Smash Champion
the only reason ive done this is to be fair, if you and your oppenent want to play on FD all three matches thats fine with me as long as both people agree. the counterpicks are there obviously if you lose and want to play on a different stage. if ya dont want to stage strike thats fine with me.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
just a note, when first round is random nuetrals, theres only four neutrals, yoshis, Fd, Bf and SV. sometimes theres others but thats the base, lylats only thrown into the neutral mix so you can have 5 stages, and an even stage strike system, and for the record, i have yet to ever see a stage striked match played on lylat.

There was a time with Delfino was a neutral in WNY and the times we did stage striking, ive seen more games played on delfino than lylat,

it doesnt make a huge difference either way, but i jsut like random first stage better.

Kantō

Smash Champion
yea random neutrals first game is good too unless both players agree on a certain stage they really would both rather play

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Lylat is a bait stage in my opinion. IF you play a character thats okay on lylat make them stage strike on lylat. Knowing that they most likely dont enjoy lylat they'll stage strike it thus saving you a strike, And if they dont. Play on lylat! Expeccially sense a majority of characters are bad on lylat you having 1 thats good on it puts you at an advantage.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Hmm, I forgot that you don't need an odd number of stages with random neutral.

Well, I guess I just don't trust the random button. It always gives me specific things.

altairian

Smash Lord
Lylat is a bait stage in my opinion. IF you play a character thats okay on lylat make them stage strike on lylat. Knowing that they most likely dont enjoy lylat they'll stage strike it thus saving you a strike, And if they dont. Play on lylat! Expeccially sense a majority of characters are bad on lylat you having 1 thats good on it puts you at an advantage.
Doesn't that, by definition, make it not neutral? :p

Lylat never seemed like it should be in neutral stages to me. Like KID said, it always gets striked. I think PS1 or halberd are better choices as a neutral stage than lylat is. Neither of those are super likely to get picked in a stage striking system, but I'd say they're way more likely than lylat. Oh yeah, delfino is a pretty good stage too.

Kantō

Smash Champion
look for now the stages are staying what they are. the next tourney i switch it up depending on what you guys want. kool?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Since we're talking about stages, I think Dreamland 64 should be on the neutral stage list for Melee. It was for every other tournament I've been to.

altairian

Smash Lord
I don't think anyone was trying to get you to change the ruleset for this tourney bry, just having a discussion on the pros and cons of the stages that are typically chosen. At least I know I was :p

edit: oh yeah, I keep forgetting to ask, what's your TV situation looking like? I was planning on bringing my wii only, but if you're definitely going to need more TV's then I'll try to bring one (possibly two, if I can get my 19" LCD back from my buddy)

Kantō

Smash Champion
yes please bring all the tvs and wiis that you can!!!!!

also copies of the game i need as well

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I keep forgetting when this is.

Can you put the date in the title, please? :D

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
My friend and I might actually join teams for the lulz. Though I honestly think my dad and I would do better.

Just call my friend Booza for my own amusement until he can think of a tag.

Things to do at this tournament:
1. Win (Hahahaha, oh, you were serious?)
2. 5$ MM w/ Goggles (No johns, Sonic & Ness only, Final destination. Live Stream If Possible.)
3. Pika Dittoz w/ Altairian (This will be fun, looking forward to fighting your Pika)
4. Convince my dad to enter Brawl dubs
5. Rep Ness while doing all but #3 ('Cuz that would be difficult)

altairian

Smash Lord
Nice list you got going ;)
If you end up without a doubles partner I'll play with ya, although I'll warn you now I have zero doubles experience at tournament level :p

Top Bottom