• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A more balanced ssb64?

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
Why is he the best character in the game?

The Great MATTS! and malva00 has come to terms that smash 64 is AWSOME how it is. Thank You.

The Great MATTS!
I like the way it is too, but if someone were to remake the game, why not make it even better?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Why is he the best character in the game?

I like the way it is too, but if someone were to remake the game, why not make it even better?
I personally would have a hard time coming up with character changes that would make the game "better" .

I hate things like Luigis UpB but i don't believe i could change it to make the game better in general. Instead it would only make the game better for me (and perhaps a few others).

Perhaps there are a few things that would need to be changed, but i don't think we could find them accurately.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
If we balanced the game perfectly, what char would you use vs players worse than you for fun?

:phone:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
with that extended up-b recovery, european boomerang speed increase and japanese bombs we'll have to give him that's not even fair. I'm not even sure if b-move only luigi can handle that

that gives me an idea. balance luigi by making his up-b an auto kill (unless under hyrule tent). Puts him on pika level instantly. Now you just gotta get everyone else there too.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
This is fun to think about, so I'll take a stab at this:

Pikachu - remove up-B invincibility frames, weaker B-throw
Kirby - slightly less horizontal range on tilts
Fox - Less damaging lasers and less range on fair / bair
Falcon - Up-smash has less priority and range
Mario - Stronger Bair, faster f-tilt, slightly heavier
Yoshi - Make his double jump armored regardless of his percent and what he gets hit by, slightly heavier, increase parry window
DK - Stronger Bair, aerials have much higher priority, stronger / faster f-tilt, harder to escape Cargo hold
Jigglypuff - Melee-fy her Bair, Rest, and jump height. Stronger f-smash. Up-tilt has more range, priority, and speed
Ness - PK Thunder moves faster / no landing lag, more range on Fair and f-tilt, faster running speed
Link - Japanese Link, Up-B has bigger strong hitbox / goes higher, Nair faster with more priority
Luigi - Same changes as Mario. Stronger throws, less cooldown after aerials, slightly shorter short-hop (but still higher than Mario's), stronger down-B, Brawl dash-A, more range on f-smash
Samus - down-B doesn't remove 2nd jump, down-B stronger / more hitstun, Uair combos into charge shot or another aerial (it pops them a little in front, Melee f-tilt, d-tilt stronger and more priority, up-smash hitboxes suck opponent in so the final hit connects more often, aerial up-B goes higher, stronger throws, Fair has more priority and bigger hitboxes, slightly shorter short-hop

Olikus

Smash Champion
I've seen this thread been made a 100 times before. Thats what olikus contributes with for now.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Nintendude I think u just made jigglypuff into kirby with rest and a good uair. I'm terrified thinking of it

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah I think Rest's power is perfect the way it is. If it was like Melee Puff would be able to do a guaranteed FThrow -> Rest and kill you at pretty much any percent. Not imba in Melee because you can DI throws, but would be dumb in 64. UTilt is good enough too lol c'mon Nintendude. It has the same range as Kirby's utilt, and you want to give it MORE? AND more speed? :o Kirby's is already bad enough.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
i say just make her nair stronger. Or make her lifespan better, where she doesnt die too fast at low percentages.

I think the way the game is already set up, some characters will probably still have some sort of advantage over others, but we can balance it to the point where no character super owns another one.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah it's already that way in low tiers where nobody super owns anyone else (if somebody says something about Luigi vs Puff I will smack them through the Internet), and even if you include Mario IMO. Not much further to go!

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
No broken throws :troll:

Seriously though -cracks fingers- time for opinions, 64 communitys favorite thing!

Falcon: Nerf his grab speed, its too good and needs cooldown afterwards...for a character to be able to pressure with grabs alone due to poor cooldown afterwards is full ******, thats about all I think falcon needs.

Kirby: self explanatory
since some of you need to see it, utilt with less hitstun and a larger amount of cooldown, its waaay too good and can be the basis of his entire gameplay probably make it about the same speed as ness's

jigglypuff: have her bair send you more towards diagonal up for better combos, make her a little more weighty so she lives longer, and give her fair more range...thats about all she really needs unless you're a skillless dair camper. which i know a lotta you uncreative fgts are :mad: making puff look bad...*****

Ness: make his recovery instant like fox's side b in melee only aimable, only thing im changing there.

DK: no more invince frames on upB, same startup time for combo breaking though. make uair quicker. 1 less wind for the giant punch.

luigi: quicker horizontal movement on ground and air

mario: backthrow and fthrow send them more upwards

samus: uair locks and stuns better, lower jump...she gets yiffed hard by fox because of her higher jump, she'll be able to pressure better this way. Bomb jump actually works and doesnt remove 2nd jump, less lag after her grab. A little more startup lag on her dair but a lot less afterwards to increase combo ability since its a good starter move for her. Reason for shortening her jump is just that, instead of floating your jump to double dair you'll have a good pressure dair to start and link combos.

Link: better recovery, able to grab ledge backwards. Hookshot ledgegrab like melee to vary recovery.

Fox: bair takes a bit longer to come out, i'd change his recovery but I think it balances him out quite well. Also change his grab hitbox...I notice he misses on the sides of hyrule sometimes for stupid reasons. Could have been just me when i was playing idk.

pika: reduce his recovery distance a bit, take a little bit of the bairs oomph away, laggier nair startup so you actually have to have really good timing to combo with it. Put a lotta lag after all his airs if not cancelled to increase punishment for risk/reward factor.

Yoshi: make his eggs come out faster, nerf his utilt speed just a hair, it's its own shield pressure, thats completely ******** that someone can sit there and pressure a shield until its gone with it or until someone lets it go. in b4
>shielding at all

On that note.... reduce the ******** shield stun a bit in the game, shielding is a mechanic in every smash game and the stun in this game breaks that option for everyone. Also fix the ******** wall/floor interaction where people become unhittable/un-grabable after touching a surface.

Robbie_L

Smash Rookie
For Samus, what about being able to charge her B in the air? I find it really difficult to charge sometimes against a fast character like falcon. This would create the problem of firing it in the air, but a quick double tap fire would fix that.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
For Samus, what about being able to charge her B in the air? I find it really difficult to charge sometimes against a fast character like falcon. This would create the problem of firing it in the air, but a quick double tap fire would fix that.
If you mean like DK's wind cancel that'd be a great thing for her to have.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I for one will usually vote against changing any part of the games already sweet mechanics. A wd in 64 would be interesting to try, I just don't think I could get into a modified game engine, for the same reason I don't play project m or brawl+

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
I for one will usually vote against changing any part of the games already sweet mechanics. A wd in 64 would be interesting to try, I just don't think I could get into a modified game engine, for the same reason I don't play project m or brawl+
Brawl Minus is a ton of fun though.

rawrimamonster said:
Falcon: Nerf his grab speed, its too good and needs cooldown afterwards...for a character to be able to pressure with grabs alone due to poor cooldown afterwards is full ******, thats about all I think falcon needs.
You're gonna say Falcon's grabs need a nerf, but you don't say anything about Pikachu's? Huehuehuhehue.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Sure, but it's true that Falcon (and Pikachu) pressure better with grabs than, like, DK. Pikachu because they seem to last about half a frame and Falcon because of dash speed.

There's a good point: buff Link's grab recovery time. Samus's grab is already much better than Link's, so I don't think she needs it.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Yeah I think Rest's power is perfect the way it is. If it was like Melee Puff would be able to do a guaranteed FThrow -> Rest and kill you at pretty much any percent. Not imba in Melee because you can DI throws, but would be dumb in 64. UTilt is good enough too lol c'mon Nintendude. It has the same range as Kirby's utilt, and you want to give it MORE? AND more speed? :o Kirby's is already bad enough.
lol I didn't realize that it had the same hitbox as Kirby's. It certainly doesn't seem that way.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Give Link more vertical and horizontal recovery, allow him to grab the edge backwards, make the hookshot catch the ledge.
Give him the Melee bomb recovery, less start-up time on fair.
Nerf the distance on Pika's recovery, nerf his uair.
Nerf Fox's usmash.

Give Luigi a wavedash... lol.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I'd like to see the ability to grab onto ledges from behind. Make it a bit easier for heavy characters to deal a finishing blow and get safely back onto he stage.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
I got it for some characters....

Ness - Increase hitbox range and hitstun on PK fire (this will help him approach chars like kirby). No landing lag on recovery (I seen ness land enough times even against top players, this will help his recovery big time)
Luigi - More knockback on dash attack. Stronger fireballs.
Kirby - Decrease hitbox range on utilt and dtilt. Decrease priority on bair, dair, and fair.
Fox - Lasers do 1% damage per hit (everything about fox is fine, it's mostly his laser game that puts him above so many characters)
Link - more forward distance on his recovery. When using bomb trick, bomb doesn't knock him facing in the opposite direction.
Falcon - decrease hitbox range on upsmash

The Star King

Smash Hero
I got it for some characters....

Ness - Increase hitbox range and hitstun on PK fire (this will help him approach chars like kirby).
Also make it activate on shields, seriously why doesn't it already. SAKURAAAIIII

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
Instead of getting rid of landing lag for Ness, I would say to increase the speed that the PK thunder orb moves so that you can get back onto/near the stage faster. It's more annoying that you die from projectiles either hitting you or the pk thunder, thus dying. Good Ness players know and should use pk thunder higher up instead of waiting to get as much horizontal recovery as possible and then shoot yourself at a slightly downward angle, which eliminates the landing lag. The lag is only there when you pk thunder yourself upward

Kabutox

Smash Apprentice
I don't know how much of a use fox's lasers doing 1% damage would be, since I only use it to pressure and close down my opponent's options. I think it's not as much the lasers that kill, more the stuff that comes after it hits. Laser on a shield or in the face, it doesn't matter. If you'd want to nerf him good you'd have to take away the weak hit on his fair, bair and nair. No more easy combo's.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Fox's laser damage is kinda useful against heavy characters because you need to rack up some damage on them first otherwise at low percents fox's aerials don't have enough stun time to start a combo

Top Bottom