• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A SoNiC GuIdE -5/07/09 - Some interesting frame data

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
possible theorys

1. the ganon di'd down and got sent down, like when tenki SDI's zeldas f-smash behind her, and gets sent the other way.
the ganon was going for a stomp at teh time

2. up air has stupid goofy hitboxes like wolf's up smash and f-air among others.
p.s. wolf's up smash and sonics up air have similar animations, just sayin...

edit for lolz,
ussis sig is like an actual serious version of my own

Guardian Aelita

Smash Rookie
Arigato(Thank you in Japanese)!!! Now, I can finally control the blue one.
Koji: Me?
NO! Sonic! Thank you so much!!!

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Iirc, tenki said it's very situational and only works when your opponent DIs down. I think...

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
-The Spin Shot-
Once of Sonic's earliest discovered ATs. This is great for both recovering and for spacing. Just don't abuse it too much or smart opponents will punish you. Aerial attacks, dodges, and additional spin moves can be used while in mid launch. You should also remember to fast fall when possible.

In order to do a spin shot you must still have your second jump available. The following are all times when you can do a spin shot:
1. When releasing a spin dash on the ground
2. When releasing a spin dash in the air
3. When leaving a platform or stage edge
You kind of never actually explain what a spin shot is or how to do it, just when you can... if oyu do, then it's confusing.

Tenki

Smash Hero
It's probably in the other sticky that has AT's in the title, but thanks for pointing it out. It should at least be explained in the guide lol

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Holy crap, permission to use that picture... NOW!

I want to get that resized into avatar size, but I don't know how! :(

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Holy crap, permission to use that picture... NOW!

I want to get that resized into avatar size, but I don't know how! :(
Lol, use regular paint.
Resize the picture, then resize the white background thingy so more gray shows up. :D

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
I made a sig-ish version of it. I'll make it avatar sized for you if you want, it's not difficult at all.

Ike and Sonic, for some reason they bring a harmony within myself. An easily out-tiered harmony.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Ok so this is a sonic guide.
Its supposed to make sonic players better.
If you have gotten to the point where you know all the techs but still want to be a better player, I suggest that you go here and watch every single video that has ECRC C3 in the title
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=curiousenver&view=videos
this was the huge tourney that happened this weekend.
100+ people. the best in the world were there, and if you want to get better i suggest that you pay attention to what the best do and learn from it.

Quick FAQ
No. to my knowledge there are no sonic vids
Yes there are multiple vids of M2K
Watch vids of pros that dont use sonic will make you better because it will help to teach you the basics and the things that all good players regardless of character do
If you want to become a pro sonic, watching other sonics will not help you. If you want to be the best sonic player, than you have to be perfect at the fundamentals of the game before anything else, and after that, you have to forge your own path.
Watching vids of the best sonics will not make your sonic better, you have to do that on your own.
Watching these vids will do you more good than watching any of us (notable sonic mainers) i really dont think any of us are quite at that level yet, and we all need to learn how to beat players the same way we need to learn to beat characters. and thats what these vids will help you do

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
the M2K/ninjalink games were amazing...

and the commentary on plank's matches are too good
"hes very good at utilizing 'the gay'"
lmao

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Ok so this is a sonic guide.
Its supposed to make sonic players better.
If you have gotten to the point where you know all the techs but still want to be a better player, I suggest that you go here and watch every single video that has ECRC C3 in the title

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=curiousenver&view=videos
this was the huge tourney that happened this weekend.
100+ people. the best in the world were there, and if you want to get better i suggest that you pay attention to what the best do and learn from it.

Quick FAQ
No. to my knowledge there are no sonic vids
Yes there are multiple vids of M2K
Watch vids of pros that dont use sonic will make you better because it will help to teach you the basics and the things that all good players regardless of character do
If you want to become a pro sonic, watching other sonics will not help you. If you want to be the best sonic player, than you have to be perfect at the fundamentals of the game before anything else, and after that, you have to forge your own path.
Watching vids of the best sonics will not make your sonic better, you have to do that on your own.

Watching these vids will do you more good than watching any of us (notable sonic mainers) i really dont think any of us are quite at that level yet, and we all need to learn how to beat players the same way we need to learn to beat characters. and thats what these vids will help you do
sorry to bring this back up, but thats pretty deep, KID. so, watching other sonics will NOT help you out in the long run? well, now i know, man. forge your own path. thats the best advice i heard to better myself with sonic. dont try to imitate others, because you could end up in a bad position if you havent perfected it or practiced it. My style is pretty good, so I will keep on improving it and learning new things, on my own.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I don't think watching other Sonic's particularly helps.

Sure, you can pick up random strats from them, but little else. And you can have all these preconcieved ideas before a match, and they go right out of the window as soon as the match starts.

To be honest, the only videos on here that have ever had be interested/inspired me were some of Anthius' tutorial things, and Teh Umby's video against his brother's Lucario on basically a "how to fight on Battlefield" thread.

infomon

Smash Scientist
yah, KID's post up there is epic. I've only watched the NL vs. M2K vids, gonna watch moar and try to actually pay attention to how they try and read each other, etc.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
yeah, so still watching vids...NO SONICS THERE!! Why??? but either way i am really learning A LOT of new things...Ashburn, Virginia isn't that far away from where i live...I should have went!! But either way, these are pretty epic matches, and some darn good commentating!
I really have to Step It Up now.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you live in MD/VA, thats like the 2nd/3rd biggest region in the country...
you should have gone, you would have got tore up from the floor up, but you would have learned a lot and came out a much better player.
theres no sonics there because ppl wanted to win
lolololololol
but seriously its because there really arent that many sonics around. the vast majority of them are in the state of new york and on the east coast
some of the commentary is good, some of it is really funny (planks matches) and some is bad and boring... but all the matches are exceedingly well played

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I watched some and dangggggg, they were amazing matches. :O
Spacing=like, perfect. Reading/mindgames(such as picking diddy against M2K from azen lol) are quite important. Especially momentum. Other things, loved how Azen's diddy was so different. :) It's like, non-traditional yet still great. It seemed much more focused on damaging/punishment/combos rather than banana juggling. God, NJ vs M2K was good.
I couldn't stand to watch much more though, brawl is too slow. >_<

Tenki

Smash Hero
This needs a catchier title.

I keep forgetting there's a guide stickied.

P.S.

Also needs a cool icon on the side, like the /!\ or the paper or the (->)

because it makes it stand out lol.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm honestly a fan of the thumbs-up.

Although, that IS how Boxob always labeled his spam threads...

:093:

Tenki

Smash Hero
LOL @ (temporary?) TITLe!

XD

put the word Official in there.

it works.

infomon

Smash Scientist
The Up-Smash has a delicate few invincibility frames. As Sonic transitions from standing on the ground into a spinniing blue ball in the air, his hurtbox disappears for just a couple frames. It's not something to rely on, but it's good to know. Here's a [video demonstration].

Something like that?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
The Up-Smash has a delicate few invincibility frames. As Sonic transitions from standing on the ground into a spinniing blue ball in the air, his hurtbox disappears for just a couple frames. It's not something to rely on, but it's good to know. Here's a [video demonstration].

Something like that?
I rely on it all the time against Fox/Luigi/Characters who like to come down with Dairs and Nairs.:laugh:

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Great job with the thread dNES. :D

Just wanted to point out a couple of things:

I think you should mention that dsmash comes out qicker than fsmash, and has a quicker charge release. I don't think enough Sonics use it to kill when its almost as viable as fsmash in KO power, while also hitting both ways and coming out quicker.

You should mention that you can chain bthrows. Bthrow and Dthrow are virtually equal to me when it comes to chasing opportunities.

Uair, perhaps it would be good to mention that you can(and should) fastfall it in order to space so you hit with the second hit. Its priority above is so great that I don't think there is a single dair in the game that outprioritizes a well spaced Sonic uair. Sonic's legs dont count as a hurtbox, and it extends a nice distance past the actual animation.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
There's D3's Dair... but even I think those will trade hits.

Anyway we really have to make a new thread index zone (see what i did thar?)

Ah Hell, it's not hard really, you just find the worthy threads, add them in, people suggest to you anything you might've missed/etc., and make it look pretty.

The only thing keeping me away from doing it myself, is the making it pretty part... I'm too lazy to even add a few colors/bold/italicize places/etc.

Sue me.

:090:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
lol Kinzer

Making things pretty isn't too hard.

A new index zone isn't a bad idea, but it's nothing urgent. I wouldn't mind making it, pretty simple stuff.

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I dunno K.I.D., this thread already gives people interested in playing Sonic a thing to read (and new players to look up for any new ideas that could be in here), and adding the Zone into this thread... kind of destroys the main purpose of this guide.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you cant possibly cover every single facet of every part of sonics game here, so you give them the basics, "hey this is how you play sonic, and this is what he does to win" type thing. and after that you transfer to a "if you read this, tried it out and have decided that you would like to continue playing sonic, than you should go here here and here to learn more about his intracacies" kind of deal.

Top Bottom