• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
pit=mk counter
I can't agree with that...at all. Iori destroyed my Pit with his Meta Knight at the Waba tournament. Meta Knight has more range, moves WAY faster, and a better recovery that is suited to countering Pit's own recovery. My guess is that range is the only thing that efficiently combats Meta Knight, although I don't know for sure.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
AND HE HAS A SWORD!!!!!!!!

confirm/deny??: metaknight has longer sword than marth.
Put it this way. MK's f tilt reaches further than Marth's forward smash.

marths actual sword is definitely longer, but it doesn't translate that well in gameplay

j00t

Smash Champion
Reflex still needs to log so atleast SOMEONE can play him in some games.

Also, Metaknight will now be referred to as Meatknight from now on.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
I can't wait till next week when I'll actually have time to play this game again......

Metaknight isn't as great as a lot of people are making him out to be. He's flavor of the week. In the hands of a capable player he's gonna hurt ya, but the same can be said about a lot of characters in this game. His priority isn't any better than someone like Marth who's flavor of the week status seems to be wearing off. He has great priority, fast moves and a good recovery. Lets not forget though that he still doesn't have the greatest killing potential and he's light as hell. Don't underplay the importance of being able to kill your opponent at 80-100% (Metaknight) as opposed to 150-175% (Snake). This aspect is magnified when you're playing with someone who has trouble killing people in the first place like that *********** hedgehog. Also, he has no projectile/reversal, which some see as a handicap in Brawl.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some really good MK's out there, but I don't fear him like I do some other characters who are in capable hands. But then again, the characters I play with, generally have good KO moves and a weak edgeguarding game, so I do put more weight into how light/heavy my opponent is.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
The thing about MetaKnight is that he lives just as long as other characters purely because of the fact that it takes so much patience to land any hits on him while avoiding his hits. He doesn't die any sooner than anyone else. Maybe he does "damage-wise", but not TIME wise.

A lot of people say that what balances metaknight is his lack of killing potential, but I've found that to be fairly inaccurate. His up-b is versatile enough to be sufficient as his kill move. MK can jump of the edge and kill you at 70-80% with his up-b. He can do it out of shield and kill at the average damages people die at. It comes out extremely fast, and has just as much range and priority as any of his other moves. Honestly, you can almost kill people at will with MK with up-b after you've racked up enough damage, unless they've master evasive techniques. It's a hard move to dodge.

Metaknight's priority IS better than Marth's. If Marth and MK both jab at the same time, Marth will get hit and metaknight will not. If Marth and MK f-air at the same time from the same distance, marth will get hit and metaknight will not.

MK can hurt you even if you're playing a total noob, much less a capable player. Almost none of MKs moves are punishable if missed. He has like no wind down lag for any of his moves. Even if you see most of his attacks coming, generally the most you can do is get out of dodge, because no attack you have is going to override it, and no attack you have, in most cases, comes out quicker than his next attack. He can literally miss a down-smash and then downsmash again and hit before most character can land any of their attacks. Beating him is a matter of landing solid hits that you yourself set up. Literally when you play metaknight, everytime you press an attack button near your opponent you can generally safely bet that its going to hit them lol. That, my friend, is the definition of broken.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
I think you're overplaying how good he is. Its not a race to kill your opponent, so dying early damage-wise is what matters; not time wise. Like I said, I think my playstyle is why I disagree with you so much on MK. I don't break my neck trying to run my face into his sword. I try to play defensively and place my power moves carefully. And I'm not beneath being a with ***** and shooting him with my pew pew lazer gun to make him fight more on my terms so that I can set up those solid hits that will take him out at low life.

As far as the MK vs Marth comparison; I don't play with Marth, so I never have Marth vs. MK matches. The point I was making is that, his priority vs anyone I play with, is just as bad as Marth's priority vs. anyone I play with.

I disagree with your comment about how MK can hurt you even in the hands of a total noob. You're implying that he's pick up and play and win status, and I just don't see it. In the hands of a good player, yeah, he'll be a tough opponent (like many other characters), but he's not some EZ pick auto-win character, and he's far from broken.

When everything's said and done, he's a good character, but under all that fancy attire, he's still a puffball that flies off the stage at <100%.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think you're overplaying how good he is. Its not a race to kill your opponent, so dying early damage-wise is what matters; not time wise. Like I said, I think my playstyle is why I disagree with you so much on MK. I don't break my neck trying to run my face into his sword. I try to play defensively and place my power moves carefully. And I'm not beneath being a with ***** and shooting him with my pew pew lazer gun to make him fight more on my terms so that I can set up those solid hits that will take him out at low life.

As far as the MK vs Marth comparison; I don't play with Marth, so I never have Marth vs. MK matches. The point I was making is that, his priority vs anyone I play with, is just as bad as Marth's priority vs. anyone I play with.

I disagree with your comment about how MK can hurt you even in the hands of a total noob. You're implying that he's pick up and play and win status, and I just don't see it. In the hands of a good player, yeah, he'll be a tough opponent (like many other characters), but he's not some EZ pick auto-win character, and he's far from broken.

When everything's said and done, he's a good character, but under all that fancy attire, he's still a puffball that flies off the stage at <100%.
Meta Knight is about as pick-up-and-play as Sheik was in Melee, and at this stage in the game's life, that's a pretty big deal.

Meta Knight will outrun you, regardless of whether or not you chase him down. You can play defensively, but his amazing overall speed and priority will give you a really, really hard time. His wonderful recovery allows him to chase opponents out and keep them off the level, which is really nice.

His size also plays into the equation; my Wario has a much harder time shorthopping aerials at him as a result, for instance.

Your power moves shouldn't hit a good Meta Knight, because of the combination of all of that. As a result, your weak moves will be all you have to land generally, while he still has his power moves (however weak they may be). As a result, he lives much longer than his weight would suggest.

He's certainly not broken, but he's still pretty overpowered. My guess is that range is going to be his main weakness (he has a sword, but it's not very long), but we'll just have to see.

My favorite part about Meta Knight is when you kill him off the side or the bottom. He screams out, "WOO!" I find it hilarious.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
No johns son. Iori is too good. If you have that much trouble against MK, play Snake. lol

Edit: Wow, even more MK johns than thought originally. You guys just need to get over it. Soon you guys will start QQing about Snake and his rediculous ****. XD
:[

Snake is laggy and slow, so regardless of how cool/amazing he is in Mike G's hands, I think I'll stick with my current go.

I'm not saying that I'm annoyed at Meta Knight's inherent goodness, so much as I'm saying that he's got a lot of tools at his disposal. I didn't complain about Sheiks in Melee, and I'm not complaining about Meta Knight, although they're both ridiculously good by default.

Also, Iori really is too good.

NES n00b

Smash Master
:[

Snake is laggy and slow, so regardless of how cool/amazing he is in Mike G's hands, I think I'll stick with my current go.

I'm not saying that I'm annoyed at Meta Knight's inherent goodness, so much as I'm saying that he's got a lot of tools at his disposal. I didn't complain about Sheiks in Melee, and I'm not complaining about Meta Knight, although they're both ridiculously good by default.

Also, Iori really is too good.
If I can use him with my dumb *** playing, anyone can use him.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If I can use him with my dumb *** playing, anyone can use him.
I can use him, too. I'm not saying that he's too hard to. I'm just saying that I know for a fact that neither of us can play like Mike G with him right now.

NES n00b

Smash Master
I can use him, too. I'm not saying that he's too hard to. I'm just saying that I know for a fact that neither of us can play like Mike G with him right now.
Or can I? *dramatic music plays* Probably not, but hey, I still say Snake is the easiest person to counter Meatknight with. I got my one Brawl tourney with 10 people attending that proves this. Yup.

Also, Luigi counters Olimar and Pikachu counters ZSamus. Mad? Maybe. Crazy? Maybe.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
well guys i'm just gonna have to go to more tourneys and watch more players, because right now a character with priority over everything that it unpunishable isborderline broken in my eyes lol. i hesitate to say "broken" because when I think broken I think Akuma in Super Turbo and of course MK is noway comparable to that, but yeah

NES n00b

Smash Master
well guys i'm just gonna have to go to more tourneys and watch more players, because right now a character with priority over everything that it unpunishable isborderline broken in my eyes lol. i hesitate to say "broken" because when I think broken I think Akuma in Super Turbo and of course MK is noway comparable to that, but yeah
If I can beat some of the Metaknights I have played, MK is not teh broken.

j00t

Smash Champion
Or can I? *dramatic music plays* Probably not, but hey, I still say Snake is the easiest person to counter Meatknight with. I got my one Brawl tourney with 10 people attending that proves this. Yup.

Also, Luigi counters Olimar and Pikachu counters ZSamus. Mad? Maybe. Crazy? Maybe.
Meatknight ftw :3

To actually contribute to this wonderful thread, yeah, I think Meatknight is OP. I'll go over all my reasons even though i'm pretty sure everyone's covered all the bases already. Ridiculously fast moves with little ending lag, is hard to punish, DOES have a good set of kill moves (whether he's supposed to or not, he does: dsmash and upb in particular), can cover a lot of ground with his shield-cancelled grab, great priority, amazing combo ability, etc. etc.... I think i've said enough. Wait, why did I drop this char anyways? *picks nose*

Is he broken? Nah. He's got some counters out there. I don't really think Snake counters him, but he does have a pretty even matchup IMO.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
Yall are really making him out to be a lot better on paper than he really is. If you honestly think he is borderline broken, pick him up and play against a handful of other good players and see how beatable he really is. You're all good players so I'm confident that you can play him well enough, especially considering how EZ pick/pick-up-and-play yall think he is. I even volunteer myself to be your MK tackling dummy, cause maybe there's just something I'm missing about him and I would love to see what all the OP talk is about that I'm apparently blind to and its not like I consider myself a great player or anything. Maybe I just haven't played against enough good players who play with him.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Marth and Toon Link I think would do well. >_>
Regard the online lag and i will agree with that. I used Toon Link when i fought JWT online ( MK vs. TL ) and i did win against him. Now offline i'd still say he would do good too, he's got alot good moves and the B-air is great ( seeing as how you can juggle people with it ).

I also will say that it does seem to be looking like MK is Shiek in Brawl. I see more and more people switching to him cause of his moveset and ease of use. My friend used Zelda ever since Brawl came out and he was good with him... now he switched to MK cause for well... he said that he's easier to use. :urg:

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Yall are really making him out to be a lot better on paper than he really is. If you honestly think he is borderline broken, pick him up and play against a handful of other good players and see how beatable he really is. You're all good players so I'm confident that you can play him well enough, especially considering how EZ pick/pick-up-and-play yall think he is. I even volunteer myself to be your MK tackling dummy, cause maybe there's just something I'm missing about him and I would love to see what all the OP talk is about that I'm apparently blind to and its not like I consider myself a great player or anything. Maybe I just haven't played against enough good players who play with him.
this is not based on "paper" this is based on many many real life matches that I have played, with and against metaknight. when I play metaknight, I can land a hit whenever I press the attack button regardless of what my opponent is doing. when I play against metaknight, i can't punish any of his mistakes. i don't know if I've been soo unlucky to have simply played all of the best metaknights but i doubt it. its possible that there is some secret to fighting him that I dont know, so i'm gonna have to figure that out.

its also possible that you see things differently because you play wolf, who is the second most overpowered character in this game lol maybe wolf is a better match up

NES n00b

Smash Master
this is not based on "paper" this is based on many many real life matches that I have played, with and against metaknight. when I play metaknight, I can land a hit whenever I press the attack button regardless of what my opponent is doing. when I play against metaknight, i can't punish any of his mistakes. i don't know if I've been soo unlucky to have simply played all of the best metaknights but i doubt it. its possible that there is some secret to fighting him that I dont know, so i'm gonna have to figure that out.

its also possible that you see things differently because you play wolf, who is the second most overpowered character in this game lol maybe wolf is a better match up
1. Choose Leopard Skin Snake. 2. Be NES n00b while you do this. 3. Ftilt. 4. Jab. 5. Camp with tools available.

This is the most I know. lol

Midguy

Smash Cadet
its possible that there is some secret to fighting him that I dont know, so i'm gonna have to figure that out.

Maybe there's something you're missing and maybe there's something I'm missing. I suggest you pick him up and get good with him. Play with me online. That way we can both see what the other is seeing to some degree.

Wolf = 2nd most overpowered in the game? Come on..... Its easy to fall into the "this character is OP" trap. Both of them are just knew characters that you don't have as much experience fighting as others. Just give it time and learn how to fight against them. I've heard similar OP arguments about other newcomers such as Pit, Ike, and Olimar. I'm sure Snake's turn is coming up soon. Those cries died down, just as this one will with time.

j00t

Smash Champion

Metaknight > Wolf by a long green mile. Wolf is nowhere near OP in this game. I think Munk beat me once with Wolf because he spammed lasers and I was GnW and didn't even think to use my bucket. But other than that, no, he isn't OP.

NES N00b, add me nao. I've been dying to play you ever since your G4S5 dealy.

Also, moogle claims that Olimar is broken. You heard it here first, now FIGHT!

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i probably have more experience fighting wolf and MK than any other characters in the game, because THATS WHO EVERYONE PLAYS
because they are so easy to win with.

wolf isn't nearly as good as MK becuase some of his moves actually have winddown lag, and his aerials don't have priority over everything in the game (although many of his ground moves do)

i judge a character as overpowered when i routinely get beat or hav ea hard time against people who play the character but clearly aren't very smart players (i.e they play repetitively, they roll back and forth, they attack randomly, they spam forward smash), that doesn't happen to me with Olimar, or Snake or anyone in the game except wolf and metaknight. I generally can beat the wolfs (except for online, wolf is ******** online) but its much harder than it needs to me. MKs are a different story.

i was thinking of doing an experiment on gamebattles to see how far I could make it up the ladder playing wolf and only using smash attacks and the b button.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
holy crap. i missed ALL this in four days?!:dizzy: all of you have made some really good points about our good friend MK. everything T1J has touched on is verbatum what i would have said. i got pretty pissed at how unpunishable MK can be. keep in mind though, i play mainly Ike and Zelda. but apparently, Ike does really well against MK, just not mine:cry: i don't know.... i guess i'll just have to figure the little phucker out.

so i gots my internets back, but for some reason my linksys won't connect to the new modem.....
*picks nose* (lol @ j00t)

this blows. i'm gonna practice on training mode....

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Unforunately for Yoshi, it seems he can't do anything against spammy Wolf players, especially online. Seriously, Midguy. :(

Midguy

Smash Cadet
Unforunately for Yoshi, it seems he can't do anything against spammy Wolf players, especially online. Seriously, Midguy. :(
Come on man.....
I guess I'm not allowed to play Wolf. I won't even touch Metaknight because I can imagine the outcry then. Seriously though, we played a lot of matches tonight, and among those that beat your Yoshi were:

Wolf
Zelda
Sonic
Pokemon Trainer
Luigi
Olimar

So please don't "cry Wolf" (see what I did there?)

I knew you were trying to learn how to play Yoshi, so I gave you the respect of mixing up my character selection and playing with characters I'm not that great with, while still giving you my best character every now and then. Wolf is my favorite character, and I'm best with him because I play with him 90% of the time; not just when I want to, but when people ask to play my Wolf because they want to get better against him. But between everyone crying OP and comments like that, it makes me not even want to play him. To be honest its insulting. I play for fun, but when you can't even play the character that you like because people insult your playstyle or imply that the only reason you win is because the character you pick, it sucks the fun out of the game.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
MK's big issue with Snake are the grenade defense really, really hinders traditional approaches, and Snake is chock full of kill moves. Since Metaknight dies at such low %s, Snake can save his kills moves from DR and rack up damage elsewhere, then just lay into MK with one clean hit.

Ironically, I think Wolf is a better matchup against Snake than MK, but MK cleans the **** out of Wolf, who has zero priority.

EDIT: Also, wolf gains a lot online, since his laser-spam is perfectly set-up for input-lag.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
So guess what guys, i got a Wii ^^ i'll post my brawl code tomorrow as i can't connect to the internet yet, and i hope to see you all online soon .

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Come on man.....
I guess I'm not allowed to play Wolf. I won't even touch Metaknight because I can imagine the outcry then. Seriously though, we played a lot of matches tonight, and among those that beat your Yoshi were:

Wolf
Zelda
Sonic
Pokemon Trainer
Luigi
Olimar

I knew you were trying to learn how to play Yoshi, so I gave you the respect of mixing up my character selection and playing with characters I'm not that great with, while still giving you my best character every now and then. Wolf is my favorite character, and I'm best with him because I play with him 90% of the time; not just when I want to, but when people ask to play my Wolf because they want to get better against him. But between everyone crying OP and comments like that, it makes me not even want to play him. To be honest its insulting. I play for fun, but when you can't even play the character that you like because people insult your playstyle or imply that the only reason you win is because the character you pick, it sucks the fun out of the game.
Nobody is calling any character unfair. Anyone that writes off their losses simply because the other character was "better" isn't worth playing, too.

If you want to play with Wolf, do it. He's a fun character to play as.

If you want to play with Meta Knight, do it. No one wants to hear someone whine about "character johns," so let them know that when the complaints start.

Wario's ridiculously good, and I know it. Regardless, I use him because he's fun as hell to me, and because WarioWare is one of my favorite game series of all time.

Don't let someone else's actions suck the fun out of the game for you.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Nobody is calling any character unfair. Anyone that writes off their losses simply because the other character was "better" isn't worth playing, too.

If you want to play with Wolf, do it. He's a fun character to play as.

If you want to play with Meta Knight, do it. No one wants to hear someone whine about "character johns," so let them know that when the complaints start.

Wario's ridiculously good, and I know it. Regardless, I use him because he's fun as hell to me, and because WarioWare is one of my favorite game series of all time.

Don't let someone else's actions suck the fun out of the game for you.

Well said Reflex. Lately ive been using Boswer and other characters i would normally never ever use and i find them to be loads of fun. I find it alot more fun when im fighting say Bowser vs. Pit ( as an example ) and winning that match out of skill or just luck or anything. I still like using Toon Link as my main because i grew used to him the quickest.

Also on another note, please Moogle ( i know you prob get tired of changing this alot ) change my mains to Toon Link, Marth. I used marth lastnight for the first time in Brawl and i like him :chuckle:.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i disagree reflex, I AM calling metaknight of unfair, because he is lol, much like Sheik vs. Bowser was unfair in Melee.

i've probably been the most vocal anti mk/wolf person here, that being said

i do not want anyone to stop playing this game or stop playing any characters. If I got that butt hurt about losing i would have quit smash A LONG TIME AGO lol, I've never made it out of pools in any tournament with good Melee players, i've ever been to. Trust me, I can deal with losing. if it was that deep, I'd just play metaknight.
I also want to point out that I am making NO comments on anyone's skill level. Some character makes you play a certain way. Sheik had one of the most degenerate playstyles in Melee, it just worked very well. If I played Wolf I would be spamming forward smashes and lasers too because THATS what works. I just happen to think its a shame that it does work. Much like it was a shame that Marth could grab you from halfway across the screen in Melee. People play overpowered characters because overpowered character win matches. One of the main reasons I don't play Wolf is because he was the second to last character I unlocked, and by then I had already picked a main to focus on. If Wolf was in the top right corner of the starter screen instead of Diddy, I would probably be maining Wolf right now after I realized how much I win with him. No one would play a character that they don't win with. This is a hypothetical situation, but I'm guessing that Reflex's Melee Bowser could beat Moogle's Kirby. But I'm also guessing Moogle Melee Sheik beats Reflex's Bowser. Yes, in this case he would win because of the character he picked, and really no other reason. The same goes for MK and Wolf. My goal is going to be to learn how to fight these characters, I'm not just gonna say oh well i'm gonna lose anyway, their broken. I mean why would you use any other strategy besides what makes you win. How do you measure "skill level" in a fighting game anyway? There are lots of excellent Melee players who played exclusively low tier characters, and did well. and everyone pretty much agrees that if any of them decided to play marth they'd place like 15 places higher in their tournaments, how will we ever know who's got skill, maybe the only way would be if everyone played Fox on battlefield only tournament, but really that wouldn't do it either, that would tell us who was the best at fox dittos on battlefield., but that's not really that significant. All I can say about Wolf is that you can spam with him and win. Okay, so what. Its stupid but it doesnt say anything about the players, in fact, if you play Wolf any other way, i would consider you a worse player.

THAT being said, i'm calling it like i see it. Even though my goal is to learn how to fight them, I think its ridiculous that the basic rules of smash that have been in place for decades don't apply to these characters. Ok, I take that back, Kirby in 64 was pretty much just as overpowered, but other than that :-P This is based on my experience. I was put out of the bracket at Waba in a close match with a pretty spammy Wolf who was no better than the guy I convincingly beat in first round. (note: I say spammy, but being "spammy' is not the problem. In Melee, if you spammed f-smash and d-smash with any character, you would get your *** kicked. the problem is that IT WORKS and it shouldn't). I've lost I believe, 31 matches on gamebattles, every single one of those losses consisted of A. people who were clearly better than me, B. Wolfs, C. Meta Knights. (also in many cases, they would SWITCH to wolf or metaknight after I two stocked their other character, and proceed to beat me in close matches).
i can't beat munkus's Metaknight, unless I play metaknight, and I think i might have beat it with snake once or twice. as soon as he switches to a different character, the matches are a lot closer.

as I mentioned, there may be some secret to these characters that I just have yet to figure out
but if that's so, I remain of the opinion that a character is overpowered when, and i want to emphasize this, any single one of their attacks, much less nearly ALL OF THEM, has priority over nearly EVERY OTHER ATTACK IN THE GAME. This is objective fact, this isn't just my experience. Throw in 6 jumps and That's my definition of overpowered. I remain of the opinion that a character whose forward smash comes out faster than most moves in the game, including regular tilts, and is (i believe) the longest reaching ON TOP OF THAT, AND put you out of range for anything MOST characters can do out of shield before he can just down smash you. throw in a laser that stuns you that you, for the most part have to camp against (try to jump in and you'll get upsmashed) and that's my definition of overpowered.

THAT being said, ULTIMATELY who cares? Brawl is still a fantastic game. I still play it more than I sleep. I'm still going to every tournament I possibly can. In fact, I'll probably still continue to play online even though it consistently pisses me off lol. I get frustrated, but who doesn't get frustrated when they play games sometimes? i have my own ideas about the game thus far, which will probably change, as they have changed in the past.

Top Bottom