• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

j00t

Smash Champion
Reflex has beaten Moogle's shiek with his bowser.

No johns, brawl is spammy garbage.
Yeah, Melee > Brawl, but Brawl has online so what can ya do. If they ever get an emulator for Melee online then i'd probably drop Brawl except for when we meet at moogle's.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Midguy, chill out. I wasn't trying to call you out on anything, and I definitely wasn't even trying to jump on the "X character is overpowered in Brawl." That's not how it works at all. If anything, I'm just chalking it up to coincidence that not only is Wolf one of Yoshi's toughest matchups but that you play him too.

Wolf is a tough matchup, and I liked playing my Yoshi against him because it's a challenge, especially considering that was the first Wolf I've played as Yoshi in the three or four days I've been playing as him. If it was about wanting to win, I would have picked Kirby. Simple as that.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
I understand that may not have been your intention, but understand my frustration when you come here and specifically use my name in a comment talking about "spammy wolf players." On the same day that T1J is talking about how Wolf and MK are the 2 most OP characters in the game, because noobs beat him when using them. Well, among all these "noobs" who play Wolf and win matches is myself, and its fustrating to hear people talk like that. I just feel its disrespectful and demeans any victory I obtain in a serious match. I would never come to these boards and talk about anyone's character choice or playstyle unless it was a compliment, but that's just me.

I was having fun. I got to play a bunch of different characters while you tried to improve your Yoshi game. If you noticed, I picked Wolf the first match, saw you didn't pick Kirby, and then didn't pick him for a while, seeing how good your Yoshi was before I played with a more difficult character to beat. I figured you wanted the challenge mixed in and my assumption was that it was all about fun and all of us getting better. I just feel that you coming here, specifically calling me out by name, and throwing me into the bucket of spammy wolf players is counterintuitive of that process. Like I said, it makes me not want to play him, and if you don't play against him, you're not gonna learn how to beat him and I guarantee there are much better Wolf players out there than me, so I just look at it as a learning experience.

My friend plays Marth almost exclusively and we play each other a lot. Because of that, he can beat the average Wolf player, and I can beat the average Marth player. When we lose to each other, we don't cry OP, we talk about ways to make the other better; pointing out flaws in the other's game that we noticed and pointing out our own weaknesses.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
I understand that may not have been your intention, but understand my frustration when you come here and specifically use my name in a comment talking about "spammy wolf players." On the same day that T1J is talking about how Wolf and MK are the 2 most OP characters in the game, because noobs beat him when using them. Well, among all these "noobs" who play Wolf and win matches is myself, and its fustrating to hear people talk like that. I just feel its disrespectful and demeans any victory I obtain in a serious match. I would never come to these boards and talk about anyone's character choice or playstyle unless it was a compliment, but that's just me.

I was having fun. I got to play a bunch of different characters while you tried to improve your Yoshi game. If you noticed, I picked Wolf the first match, saw you didn't pick Kirby, and then didn't pick him for a while, seeing how good your Yoshi was before I played with a more difficult character to beat. I figured you wanted the challenge mixed in and my assumption was that it was all about fun and all of us getting better. I just feel that you coming here, specifically calling me out by name, and throwing me into the bucket of spammy wolf players is counterintuitive of that process. Like I said, it makes me not want to play him, and if you don't play against him, you're not gonna learn how to beat him and I guarantee there are much better Wolf players out there than me, so I just look at it as a learning experience.

My friend plays Marth almost exclusively and we play each other a lot. Because of that, he can beat the average Wolf player, and I can beat the average Marth player. When we lose to each other, we don't cry OP, we talk about ways to make the other better; pointing out flaws in the other's game that we noticed and pointing out our own weaknesses.
lol, when people call me a noob Dedede, i just shrug and tell them, "Well, you lost to it, scrub." That usually fixes my problems fast.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Metaknight doesn't have priority over marth or toonlink, his reach is further, however, and most of his hits come out faster. And Ike beats him in reach and priority for the most part. There are some exceptions, of course.

I.E. if marth is in range for a forward air, and we both do forward air, his will hit and mine won't.

But if you save your best killing move so that it doesn't have DR, then you can gimp MK pretty early on in a match. This is something Wario is great at, since F-smash and Up-air are both great killing moves that you don't need to use to combo up damage.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
lol, when people call me a noob Dedede, i just shrug and tell them, "Well, you lost to it, scrub." That usually fixes my problems fast.
that made me lol. and what a great strategy. i miss you dude.

i'm done complaining about good ol' MK. it's just going to take a lot of adaptation and creativity. we are still in the early stages of Brawl. we may learn, in the future, that MK can be easily dealt with. who knows. i'm just going to enjoy the game. i need to get my wii back online

peace, y'all.

edit: sweetness, i'm back online. will, that ganon vs. rob's snake match was hysterical. good stuff.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
well clearly he doesn't have priority over every move in the game. "nearly every move in the game and all the others you'd still win because yours are faster" is still enough in my book.

Diddy Kong's karate kick has priority over most moves in the game, even many of MKs. unfortunately, it has huge windown lag if you don't finish it in the air. so metaknight can get hit with it and then still hit you before you recover. but I think its worth it. any hit i can get on that birch is worth the effort

there is a banner ad that says "do not click here if you're easily scared". i wonder if its actually something scary or just a ruse to get you to buy something.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Metaknight doesn't have priority over marth or toonlink, his reach is further, however, and most of his hits come out faster. And Ike beats him in reach and priority for the most part. There are some exceptions, of course.

I.E. if marth is in range for a forward air, and we both do forward air, his will hit and mine won't.

But if you save your best killing move so that it doesn't have DR, then you can gimp MK pretty early on in a match. This is something Wario is great at, since F-smash and Up-air are both great killing moves that you don't need to use to combo up damage.
If only Wario had a bit of range; it's still quite hard to land those hits, because of Meta Knight's air superiority (and saying that against Wario, that's a really big deal) and speed on the ground.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Well, Wario's ground defenses are amazing enough to force MK in the air to approach, and wario is mobile enough in the air to avoid MK's assaults by weaving in and out, giving him time to actually punish almost everything that MK can dish out.

Wario is extremely well suited for fighting MK because of his defensive nature. Trying to beat MK with a balls out offense is surely going to end in tears.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
If only Wario had a bit of range; it's still quite hard to land those hits, because of Meta Knight's air superiority (and saying that against Wario, that's a really big deal) and speed on the ground.
i agree. he's a great choice to use against MK as he is, but if he had more range, it'd be a cakewalk for him to beat MK. he's really good at spacing. if i could consistently pull off the dash-cancelled upsmash, i wonder if that would help Wario's odds against MK? i don't know how high his priority is with that attack.

edit: btw, this is off-topic, but my submitted replay today was a target smash lv.5 using yoshi. he cleared it in 10 seconds!! it's nuts. i wish i could save it.

oh and Reflex, you need to add me, bro. do you ever get online?

coach

Smash Apprentice
For what it's worth midguy your wolf play is more original than most. I dont play brawl, but I've watched andy play you online and it wasnt near as boring as most other wolfs. I realize this doesnt solve the problem of putting wolf down, but I thought I'd let you know I think you're taking him in the right direction. Sorry if this comes off the wrong way, I don't mean it to.

edit:

Reflex has beaten Moogle's shiek with his bowser.

No johns, brawl is spammy garbage.
love you...

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Is there still going to be a Waba tournament on the 19th? I've heard nothing since the first one.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
that made me lol. and what a great strategy. i miss you dude.

i'm done complaining about good ol' MK. it's just going to take a lot of adaptation and creativity. we are still in the early stages of Brawl. we may learn, in the future, that MK can be easily dealt with. who knows. i'm just going to enjoy the game. i need to get my wii back online

peace, y'all.

edit: sweetness, i'm back online. will, that ganon vs. rob's snake match was hysterical. good stuff.

geez, guys, metaknight is good, but he can be dealt with. you have to space him. if metaknight swings first, he's easy to counterattack. i faced a few metaknights at WABA and destroyed them with Dedede.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
lucario is good. he has lot of range on his attacks and quick moves. i still don't know much about him
plus he can shield poke with his down air as i found out recently :(

ahrnygoose

Smash Rookie
Thoughts on Lucario? I have seen absolutely NO ONE play with him (at least well).
i like him. i'm not necessarily proficient with him now, but he is an interesting character to play as. he is adaptable to various situations, especially with a ranged move, decent fighting moves, a counter, ability to stick to walls, and the ability to grow stronger.

oh and am i seriously one of only a few people on this board who really is not intimidated by MK? he's not the Brawl Boogie Man, or that horror movie Jason (wielding the mach sword), even if he is wearing a hockey mask. every MK i have fought has been predictable as hell. dash in--> slashy slashy slashy --> slashy some more. to be honest, from the various me vs. MK games i have played, i think mach tornado is more annoying than his "ya ya ya ya!" slashing A move. i thought zelda was much scarier in this game, or at least if she is on a flat level, like final d or the bridge. and even with her, just attack fast and from below. make that wench fight in the air (and avoid those gruesome zelda-kick deaths).

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
MK's jab combo isn't really that good a move. its his forward tilt and its range and priority over every move in the game thats the problem.
and its not that i'm 'intimidated' is that "he can hit me whenever he wants" it doesn't matter if your predictable when you its nearly impossible to punish you when you make mistakes

ahrnygoose

Smash Rookie
sorry T1J, im not trying to insult or incite a forum rage flame war. perhaps just a bad choice of wording. but in an effort to catch up with what i missed in the past few days on the ol' crashboards i read over countless statements from the masses about MK and his little golden **** sword. i know what his ftilt is capable of, but what im saying is that i have played many MK people online (while i could play online), and they never really proved to be my downfall. maybe thats just cause it was online, but i really have not come across many problomatic MKs. i have harder times with kirbies, wolves, and zeldas, though this could all just be due to my style in the first place.

j00t

Smash Champion
You know who I REALLLLY hate? Diddy Kong. That guy is OP. Throwing bananas like crazy, and he's the combo master. Makes me sick.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
I take back all i said about there not being lag after i got my new connection, I found that out when i played JWT. I realized it has to do with both connections being good cause i can play my friend ( Scrappy ) who lives all the way in TN with no lag and its great. When i played JWT there was lag and i could tell. Call it what you want but if i can play with a friend who lives 3 to 4 hours away from me with no lag and then play with someone whos much closer and get lag then it has to do with both connections. Now im not saying that JWT has a ****ty connection but since ive got comcast nothing has lagged for me at all.

Frankly i dont care what anyone thinks about this i just wanted to get this off of my chest.

[EDIT] - Ok yea it really...... has to do with the connections because i played SK8ordie right afterwards and he had a blue connection when we got through. Its really weird for there to be button lag for a blue connection.

[EDIT] - JWT i apologize if i sounded mean or rude while typing the first part of this post. I just wanted to get that out there.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
You know who I REALLLLY hate? Diddy Kong. That guy is OP. Throwing bananas like crazy, and he's the combo master. Makes me sick.
OH YEAH

you know who else is OP? Wario.

and Pikchu

and PT

and G&W

and Melee Fox

and

Sonic.

okay i can't say that last one with a straight face. :-P

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
hey guys i need to fight more wolfs and pikachus. need to learn how to beat dem crazy hitboxes. i play too aggresively ithink

OMFG. ike vs metaknight
okay metaknight gimps ike HARD off of the edge.
but ive been experimenting with ike vs. metaknight and having decent results.
thoughts

Majist

Smash Journeyman
hey guys i need to fight more wolfs and pikachus. need to learn how to beat dem crazy hitboxes. i play too aggresively ithink

OMFG. ike vs metaknight
okay metaknight gimps ike HARD off of the edge.
but ive been experimenting with ike vs. metaknight and having decent results.
thoughts
play munkus' MK with Ike and then see what you think.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Ike's biggest advantage against MK is that he can kill him at 40% with and F-smash.

One thing I've learned recently is that you have to be extremely mindful of DR in order to play efficiently.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I take back all i said about there not being lag after i got my new connection, I found that out when i played JWT. I realized it has to do with both connections being good cause i can play my friend ( Scrappy ) who lives all the way in TN with no lag and its great. When i played JWT there was lag and i could tell. Call it what you want but if i can play with a friend who lives 3 to 4 hours away from me with no lag and then play with someone whos much closer and get lag then it has to do with both connections. Now im not saying that JWT has a ****ty connection but since ive got comcast nothing has lagged for me at all.

Frankly i dont care what anyone thinks about this i just wanted to get this off of my chest.

[EDIT] - Ok yea it really...... has to do with the connections because i played SK8ordie right afterwards and he had a blue connection when we got through. Its really weird for there to be button lag for a blue connection.

[EDIT] - JWT i apologize if i sounded mean or rude while typing the first part of this post. I just wanted to get that out there.
Somes day the Wifi is just buggered. I've had green matches with people on one day, and orange on the next. There's no telling, really.

@GAPeach: Spacing and punishing MK is harder online, it's not impossible but it's a challenge.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
ike ***** aerial characters with his upsmash and forward air, and metaknight likes to float around

also taking advantage of the many super armor frames ike has really helps, because most metaknight like to press A anytime they get near you, which usually works.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
Ok, i just read a ton of posts lol >.< been to busy with school.

@ metaknight: The only problem i had with metaknight as 3D was the he can do any aerial to down smash right next to you. If you shield both, you are to far away to grab, even for 3D, because that Dsmash just pushes out of range. Other than that his moves seem semi predictable, and i just need practice playing munkus more often.

Counter to metaknight: What about IC's? no one has thought about using them have they :p, once i master them i'll let you know, but for know (if moogle is reading this) add IC's to my mains.

Top Bottom