• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Back from GA and I just caught up on this thread.

Does Baccano get better after ep 3? That's where I stopped.

Duchock, did you listen to any of the Valley of Walls mashups?

Dokapon Kingdom is amazing.

And hey look mk ban talk. I've never heard so many calls for 'play to win', 'do whatever you need to win, no matter how lame', 'be ruthless', 'keep that infinite going', while simultaneously hearing 'ban this too good char' from the same people(not anyone from this thread, but it is a sad state of affairs when I have to add disclaimers to opinions so nobody takes offense).

At Brawl's inception, Sirlin's "Play to Win" articles were thrown around and taken as canon(due to spam, chaingrabbing, etc). Why is it then, that this is not applied to MK? Because people play this game for fun, no matter how objective they may seem about ruthlessness. Yet also they want to win, for money, for recognition, prestige, any of the above.

I remember Overswarm talking about the issue when it first received attention. He noted(on one of the podcasts iirc) how he enjoyed frustrating the opponent through camping(He mained ROB at the time) yet harbored extreme hate toward metaknight. Employing "not cool" tactics while downplaying other "not cool" tactics(playing mk) illustrates the problem I have with the ban issue. It seemed to tell me the popular mindset of people was "If you can't get around my infuriating tactic it is a good thing, but if I can't get around yours we'll have to change the rules."

Meta Knight is my favorite video game character. I have been playing him since the ****ty gamestop release tournament. I indeed have a bias. At the same time, I believe banning MK would increase variety, at the very least. I'm unsure as to whom the banning would help, and if the community overall would benefit both short-term and long-term. However, If he should be banned then ban him. I would not hold on to an aspect that deteriorates the game. I didn't stop going to Tennessee when they banned MK, nor would I quit the game if he received a worldwide ban. Although I would definitely pull for a ban on D3 infiniting DK, and Ness grab release infinites at that point.

tl;dr, Don't ban MK for the wrong reasons. If MK is to be banned, then ok. After that, stop whining about this game and play. We're losing interest as it is.

j00t

Smash Champion
Will_ come smash tonight pr0x... I wanna see you <3

EDIT: Chad you need to change your location :p

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Oh cool, we're still doing Thursday smashfests?

Should I bring Dokapon Kingdom or do we have a copy there?

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Oh snap, I'll look for that now.

And glad you liked it Duchock, last weekend Dogysammich showed me some other mashups, I'll ask him for some.

edit: found it, Joot.

-Chad-

Slackerator
I have a copy.

I also have it downloaded on my computer for an emulator which makes the game run 3x faster and makes it 3x funner :o

>_>

Come over everyone muhahahah

-Chad-

Slackerator
Your love for me isn't greater than a bad animeee?

BAWWWWW

also. Since I'm living here now, I figure I should maybe give you guys my #? If you want it just tell me and I can pm it to you or you could ask moogle or something.

j00t

Smash Champion
I was actually watching Naruto (because it is another bad anime that I've invested too much into) but I wanted to say something even worse to get Jack in here to scold me.

Anyways, I'm on my way over.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
AlphaZealot said:
That MK is somehow thrown for a loop by a stationary and expiring 'wall' is...hilarious.
lol I never thought about this, but that is pretty funny.

Banning MK is going to make a lot of characters more viable, obviously. Kirby and Dedede spring to mind
the problem is that it is ****ing stupid and arbitrary to ban characters just because they are "too good".
the game will certainly be more varied and open up more characters, but that's to be expected.

if you banned sheik and marth in melee, there'd be like no bottom tier thats just the nature of tiers, which are primarily based on matchups...

but this really doesn't personally affect me much at all except that I would have no answer for IC's and Olimar (at least until I learn the sheik matchup). but what are you gonna do i guess

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
If you banned all of top tier in melee then Yoshi, Mewtwo, Pichu, YL, ect. STILL couldn't cope with Peach, CF, IC, Jiggs, Ganon, Doc, and even DK in some instances. The gap between MK and all other characters is so much larger than that of Fox and say CF or Jiggs or even Samus for that matter.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I look forward to accelerating this thread to 88 miles per hour so we can rehash an argument that we had a year ago.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Clearly Ness is superior because Lucas is using the pre-evolution form of wood (Stick) while Ness is using the third tier form of wood (Baseball bat).

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
The sooner you guys start supporting BBrawl the sooner we don't have to worry about this **** no more.

People are getting tired of standard Brawl as is.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
thnx; another question

I always hear "Ness > Lucas"

i never see it and/or the people never give me legit reasons.
someone explain this and if it is true
Lucas's kill moves aren't nearly as reliable. He has no great approach and no great defense. Still a solid character, but Ness has more extremes (both good and bad), and that usually equates to better things in Brawl.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
man zero,
just call me when you feel like smashing.
im alot better at responding to phone calls than i am keeping plans over a forum board.
318 5447
call whenever dude.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Guys. Come to the University of Alabama this SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY.

****TY PROMOTIONAL VIDEO!!!! AT LEAST IT'S BETTER THAN GIRUGAMESH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcAlEeoKHTI

GAMING CONVENTION, locally run smash tournament, GAMING! ME! I'LL BE THERE! COSPLAY! Afhiaehsfiojdfaoj

Please... I don't want to be left alone with these guys......

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
If you banned all of top tier in melee then Yoshi, Mewtwo, Pichu, YL, ect. STILL couldn't cope with Peach, CF, IC, Jiggs, Ganon, Doc, and even DK in some instances. The gap between MK and all other characters is so much larger than that of Fox and say CF or Jiggs or even Samus for that matter.
no way.

lots of characters like link, y. link, pikachu, dk, dr. mario, roy, etc go even or have decent matchups with non-high tier characters. some characters like kirby and yoshi are just ****ing weak as **** period, but in general without top tier (sheik and marth in particular) many many more characters are viable.
brawl would be more balanced in terms of character selection if MK was banned. but that in itself is not a reason to ban a character

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Guys. Come to the University of Alabama this SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY.

****TY PROMOTIONAL VIDEO!!!! AT LEAST IT'S BETTER THAN GIRUGAMESH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcAlEeoKHTI

GAMING CONVENTION, locally run smash tournament, GAMING! ME! I'LL BE THERE! COSPLAY! Afhiaehsfiojdfaoj

Please... I don't want to be left alone with these guys......
if i showed up at like 7pm would i get to do anythign cool

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
if i showed up at like 7pm would i get to do anythign cool
Here's something they sent me.

PixelCon is only TWO DAYS away, and we are so excited its finally here! First of all, here is the official schedule of events:

***OFFICIAL PIXELCON SCHEDULE OF EVENTS***

11:00 AM Registration Sign In Begins/ PixelCon Begins
11:20 AM Welcome Speech
11:30 AM Modern Warfare II and Super Mario Smash Bros. Brawl Tournaments Begin
Replays Retro Gaming (All Day)
Game Play Stations (All Day)
Tabletop (All Day)
Computer (All Day)
Rock Band play (All Day)
1:00 PM ABXY Live Podcast Panel
2:00 PM NCAA Football 10 Tournament begins
2:00 PM "Online Virtual World Second Life" presented by Jeremy Wayne Satcher
3:00 PM Gaming & Career Development Panel
4:00 PM Propping/Costuming/Cosplay Panel
5:00 PM Concert
Registration for Cosplay Contest Due
6:30 PM Cosplay Contest
Registration for Rock Band Contest Due
7:00 PM Closing Ceremonies
7:30 PM Rock Band Contest
Goodbyes and Thank You's to follow Rock Band Contest.

SO as you can see, we have a pretty full day for everyone to enjoy. So throw on your best costume, sit in on some panels, play some games, and listen in on the amazing game-inspired concert in the evening! The official line-up for the concert is as follows:

Subject to Change A-Capella Group
UA Taiko Drum Ensemble
PixelCon Ensemble
Kadesh & the Perfect Strangers

Each group will be doing pieces that resonate gaming in some way, and the PixelCon Ensemble is student-composed music set to a string ensemble.

So no.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Yo sup alabama watch a florida tournament

Title: Quit Your Job and Play Some Smash!
Date: 1/30/2010
Host: Fluxx'd up Crew
Tournament Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=261131
Livestream Link: http://www.livestream.com/ballistics
Estimated Time of Stream: 12 PM Eastern Standard Time Melee first
Entry Fee: $10 Singles / $10 + $10 = $20 Doubles
Players:
Melee:
Tallahassee: Ballistics, Green Mario, Toobz, Awal
Louisiana: HiIH and cronies
Panama City: Zone, TropicalTaco
Pensacola: Holy Chef, Ram
Gainesville: JSSN, KBM, SEXPUMA, Harriettheguy, Raistlin
Miami: Trikrom3
Brawl:
Tallahasee: JSSN, Somacruz, DBS, Awal, SexPuma
Jacksonville: GeoffMoney,
Pensacola: Benaji, Skaterbaj
Gainesville: JSSN, KBM
Stream Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=249284

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
no way.

lots of characters like link, y. link, pikachu, dk, dr. mario, roy, etc go even or have decent matchups with non-high tier characters. some characters like kirby and yoshi are just ****ing weak as **** period, but in general without top tier (sheik and marth in particular) many many more characters are viable.
brawl would be more balanced in terms of character selection if MK was banned. but that in itself is not a reason to ban a character
Ya I see what you're saying. But even now some characters have good match ups verses top tier characters (Peach ***** Falco, ect, ect) while it seems like (again I don't play Brawl so this is just from what I've seen) MK dominates every aspect of Brawl. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
^

My friend from school. Doesn't play melee, he's "eh" at brawl.

Gonna start getting into the competitive scene along with me.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Dammit, I wish I could have come to Smash last night!! My lady just HAD to get sick on me grumblegrumble....

I miss you guys:(

And I want to get destroyed by Chad:(:(

And I haven't played Smash in so long:(:(:(

sigh....back to playing Darksiders

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Dammit, I wish I could have come to Smash last night!! My lady just HAD to get sick on me grumblegrumble....

I miss you guys:(

And I want to get destroyed by Chad:(:(

And I haven't played Smash in so long:(:(:(

sigh....back to playing Darksiders
You play melee? :D

or brawl? D:

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Ya I see what you're saying. But even now some characters have good match ups verses top tier characters (Peach ***** Falco, ect, ect) while it seems like (again I don't play Brawl so this is just from what I've seen) MK dominates every aspect of Brawl. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

MK dominates tournaments, but that's mainly because A. He's the best character (of which every fighting game has one), and B. People would rather complain about him then learn how to fight him (except non-scrubs like ADHD)

I don't think he 'dominates every aspect of brawl' but thats just my opinion. obviously there are hundreds of people who disagree. Metaknight is just another character to me, when Im fighting him, I don't feel like "god ****it this character is so hard". His recovery is broken for sure, this is slightly offset by the ease at which you can kill him. (not completely offset, but somewhat). Other than his recovery, I don't really see what's broken about him, he just has a good moveset. But so does sheik or marth or peach or luigi. The only thing that puts MK above these characters is his inability to be gimped and his mobility. I mean yeah he's better? so broken that he needs to be banned, ehhh

I play mainly sheik and snake, and I feel like both of those characters go even with MK. *shrug*

Peach is high tier in melee though lol. Spacies in melee are kind of weird because middle and some low tiers actually have okay matchups against them, but they tend to take pretty good care of high tier characters. Sheik and Marth are the main characters that really disturb the balance in melee. spacies have the advantage on them I'd say, but they absolutely wreck like everyone else in the game.

Top Bottom