• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Will_

Smash Journeyman
So, MLG, Serin wants to go. SLAM wants to go. Anyone else? There's a hotel about half a mile from the venue that's $72/night versus the $119/night from the official hotel room, which sounds a lot better to me. So checking in Friday night and checking out Sunday evening is three nights. So the hotel room would be $216. Plus the $35 tournament fee. Plus gas and such. Split four ways it looks like it's going to be around $120 or somewhere around there.
Count me in.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
have you checked to see if there are any hostels in NC?
they are waaaaaaay cheap
like 30 dollars a night

they are like dorm rooms though.

idk

ima start a job soon so i SHOULD have enough money.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
If anyone else want to go. Talk to my brother. His car right now is Reflex, Calvin, Nice1, i thought Serin, and then there's an open spot. I'm flying out there, so he still has one seat open.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Nu wants to go to MLG too. Hmm.

Also, SLAM, the big issue is that apparently the venue charges like $12/day for parking. So even if there was a $30/night hostel, it might be so far, we'd have to put up with parking anyway. I'm perfectly fine with a 20-minute walk to avoid parking. How about you guys? Also, apparently the tournament doesn't actually start until after 5:00 PM EST, but driving down Thursday is probably the best idea. Plus think of all the friendlies. You guys aren't ever going to want to play Brawl again after this. Check out before noon on Sunday, play in doubles maybe, head home. 3 nights.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Yeah, I want to start holding tournaments again once Gamebox opens at its new location. B'ham, let's start putting in some serious practice.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I've been wanting to do tournaments, but G.D. parents have G.D. OoS bullcrap for me to do.

Geeeoooooorge~ let's smash sometime.
Where the heck are you, Russ?
Naixin?
Joot, I had bullcrap OoS stuff >_< and I still got more, apparently.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I'm good for smashing whenever. Like right now. Usually it's just 5:00-9:00 that I can't play.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Jason/Russ/Kevin/SLAM/Mahg/Kola/etc. Birmingham people, what do you guys think about once a week at Gamebox having like a $5 to play Smash all day? I think we could rope in a few new recruits, and having a consistent day of the week would be perfect for me.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i think that might be something cool for locals in the area who wander in the store or maybe even regulars who normally come for other reasons.

me personally i dont know how often im gonna be down for paying 5 bucks for a smashfest, unless they turned out to be pretty awesome

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
What if a portion of the money went to like a smash league that paid out at the end of every season?

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Where is this new Gamebox location? Closer to me I hope.

And yeah I'm fine with a walk to avoid parking fees. I need to check my class schedule cause I'm pretty sure I have school Thursday afternoon, but I can hop on a bus right after that.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
It's about the same distance from Hville. Really, I wish we had moved to Vestavia since it would have been a lot closer to the rest of Birmingham, but now we're down 280. I don't know, we'll see if it works out.

Also, Will, at some point this month we need to just decide on a day and get together and play.

Waba on the 21st? Nu and Twinster want to go. I'm going to be broke by the end of the month.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
lol ew 280

We'll see George. I like the idea it just depends on how my work plans will go.

Edit: j00t if you're reading this, you need to log on AIM asap.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
New Brawl Backroom recommended ruleset: linky

Look at that delicious stagelist.

We're smashing tonight at Adam and Dave's. Birmingham should come.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
did something change in my absence of going to tournaments?

distant planet?
port town aero drive?
luigi's?

*vomit*

what do you guys think about this:

The BBR now recommends that the game's verdict should always be honored; a victory screen should decide the winner. Any Sudden Death (excluding time-outs) should be treated as a tie; which are resolved with a 1 stock, 3 minute, same characters, same stage rematch.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I love Port Town Aero Dive and Distant Planet. Luigi's Mansion is tolerable. It's not a bad stagelist by any means. Think about how often you see people counterpick Castle Siege. I'd say you'd see PTAD even less frequently. Distant Planet has a lot going for it.

I want to playtest the stages a lot in tournaments before making any huge decisions.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Yaaay Delfino!

As a side note, why the hell do you guys start getting interested in playing again after I move out of Birmingham. It's like it was planned or something :|

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Also, apparently, I've been told by my friend that they're doing all of this crappy new rules so people will use MK more and then in turn have another vote to ban him. So Brawl is gonna suck for like a year and then once MK is banned it'll all be fixed.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Also, apparently, I've been told by my friend that they're doing all of this crappy new rules so people will use MK more and then in turn have another vote to ban him. So Brawl is gonna suck for like a year and then once MK is banned it'll all be fixed.
Let me assure you, all of the rules are in place in the interest of fairness. The Brawl Back Room members didn't find the newly-legalized stages to be detrimental to competitive play.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i was kinda into playing brawl again
then i got olimar'd

and infinite chaingrabbed by some ICs

and i dont even want to play anymore

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
as i mentioned in that thread, stages that have non-player interference with what happens in the match are in no way fair. simply because any non-player interference that has the potential to in anyway disadvantage a player is inherently a handicap to the better player. its the same reason we ban items. in brawl, with skilled players for example, the hammer isn't really that huge a deal. if i play reflex and he gets a hammer and kills me with it. its not considered an advantage. bc reflex is a better player and he was going to beat me anyway most likely. however if I get a hammer and kill him with it, i just got an unfair advantage that i wouldnt have otherwise had..

likewise if I land a hit on reflex and knock him into one of the cars on PTAD. I just got an advantage on him that isn't fair to him because he's a better player that doesn't need to use cars to take my stocks.

but thats just my philosophy on stages. naturally this would leave only FD and BF and SV as non-interactive stages. (but i personally would LOVE if those were the only available stages in smash tourneys. I want to battle my opponent, not the stage)

but just for the sake of variety alot of stages have more or less a minimal effect on the outcome of the match so we turn them on, and there are SEVERAL in the new list that do not fall in this category

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I don't know, Kevin. I mean, I'd say being able to use a stage like Norfair or Port Town more efficiently than your opponent is just another way to measure skill. Alabama has some of the best Norfair tournament experience in the country, and you're saying that shouldn't come into play because the stage can affect the battle? Really, I don't worry about the stage because I'm using it to my advantage.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Jason/Russ/Kevin/SLAM/Mahg/Kola/etc. Birmingham people, what do you guys think about once a week at Gamebox having like a $5 to play Smash all day? I think we could rope in a few new recruits, and having a consistent day of the week would be perfect for me.
i would love this
itd be like waba smashfests!

Top Bottom