• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

reimeii

Smash Apprentice
Dude... a girl is supposed to compliment your life not hold you back from it!

If your not enjoying her then drop her. If she makes you feel like an *** then ignore her or explain how selfish she is being. You prob have strong feelings 4 her but this ish aint healthy. She is being selfish as F**K and that aint koo... there are plenty of other fish in the sea my fellow smasher.

:sonic:

& TBH if you quit smash the same is going 2 happen 2 ur music. Deny it all you want but once a woman has that kinda power over you its a wrap.
agreed +10

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i ****ing hate this band and this song sucks ****hole and i hate zoey deshenelle and neither zoey or this band are "indie" in any way shape form or fashion WHATSOEVER, contrary to many ppl's belief.
but i woke up with it stuck in my head :p

http://youtu.be/l7jNDN2QgKw

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
When I used Stumbleupon, for some reason, it thought I enjoyed maximum risky photos of Zooey Deschanel. A lot.

I didn't.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
thats really blah imo. super basic dj scratches, really uncreative beats, lyrics, and rythm. just really uncreative. like if hes tryin to be oldschool or whatever you can do better things then just doing the obvious oldschool stuff. sounds really lame and i dont see how youre entertained by that but youre entitled to listen to whatever you want. but seriously black babies with afros holding vinyls uggg it just makes me feel like puking ive seen it so much.

IM JUS SAYIN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV5fqGSIa1U

this dude is doin the oldschool westcoast **** right tho. that old vinyl chopped up at the begining, all the wah and funk verb effects on the piano, the high hat rolls cuz its so smooth they cant do tom rolls (now thats west coast as ****), the shoutouts to his whole hood at the end, his flow and ryhming pattern and backup hypes, the way they do it all is just SWAG OUT THE OLDSCHOOL AS **** ***.
that **** you posted aint got one bit of swag nowhere near it.
if youre gonna replicate something you gotta feel it out yourself and throw a little bit of yourself and creativity and nostalgia into it that people dont see every day. not nostagia that has already been so commercialized or taboo'd (lol is that a word?) maybe i just appreciate music with initiative, but it seems most people are the most satisfied and content when their music is made by supppper intense mediocracy and little to no creativity and mostly replication. maybe i just pay more attention to detail than the average listener (u guyz), being suh a music critic most of my life.

**** even Schoolboy Q is a really cool, nostalgic name. Blackalcious, wow ive never heard a black person have "licious" on the end of any nickname before in my life... or something called "reanimation"... lol linkin park even had one of those.

and i dont feel like people should go around saying "this music is good" i feel like you should say "i like this music alot"
its a pet peeve of mine. kind of like how duchok doesnt like being called a ***,
or something like that.
and i dont think music is a "loose" subject. its just more people are uneducated about the entirity of it than there are those who are well informed of all the past and present culture surrounding it and all the different artistic angles and approaches you can take to bend the aesthitic of it one way or another to make it this or that. its touchy as in ignorant people get offended when a knowledgable person critiques their tastes, but thats anything once you get to a critically level of it. like you guys are on a critical level of thinking when it comes to smash. its kinda the same thing.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What sounds good sounds good. Blackalicious' stuff happens to sound good to me.

A person can be as creative as they want, but, the only thing that really matters is being pleasant to listen to. Everyone has their own preferences.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
On the very loose subject of music, this is really ****ing good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwljtiVBL0U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBWwWbuEOLY

thats really blah imo. super basic dj scratches, really uncreative beats, lyrics, and rythm. just really uncreative. like if hes tryin to be oldschool or whatever you can do better things then just doing the obvious oldschool stuff. sounds really lame and i dont see how youre entertained by that but youre entitled to listen to whatever you want. but seriously black babies with afros holding vinyls uggg it just makes me feel like puking ive seen it so much.

IM JUS SAYIN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV5fqGSIa1U

this dude is doin the oldschool westcoast **** right tho. that old vinyl chopped up at the begining, all the wah and funk verb effects on the piano, the high hat rolls cuz its so smooth they cant do tom rolls (now thats west coast as ****), the shoutouts to his whole hood at the end, his flow and ryhming pattern and backup hypes, the way they do it all is just SWAG OUT THE OLDSCHOOL AS **** ***.
that **** you posted aint got one bit of swag nowhere near it.
if youre gonna replicate something you gotta feel it out yourself and throw a little bit of yourself and creativity and nostalgia into it that people dont see every day. not nostagia that has already been so commercialized or taboo'd (lol is that a word?) maybe i just appreciate music with initiative, but it seems most people are the most satisfied and content when their music is made by supppper intense mediocracy and little to no creativity and mostly replication. maybe i just pay more attention to detail than the average listener (u guyz), being suh a music critic most of my life.

**** even Schoolboy Q is a really cool, nostalgic name. Blackalcious, wow ive never heard a black person have "licious" on the end of any nickname before in my life... or something called "reanimation"... lol linkin park even had one of those.

and i dont feel like people should go around saying "this music is good" i feel like you should say "i like this music alot"
its a pet peeve of mine. kind of like how duchok doesnt like being called a ***,
or something like that.
and i dont think music is a "loose" subject. its just more people are uneducated about the entirity of it than there are those who are well informed of all the past and present culture surrounding it and all the different artistic angles and approaches you can take to bend the aesthitic of it one way or another to make it this or that. its touchy as in ignorant people get offended when a knowledgable person critiques their tastes, but thats anything once you get to a critically level of it. like you guys are on a critical level of thinking when it comes to smash. its kinda the same thing.
A comparison of a good understanding of competitive play and a good understanding of music is terrible. Good play is objective; some stuff wins people matches, and other stuff doesn't. Good play translates into good results, and that's the bottom line. There is no arguing against that.

A lot of bands' music that's made up of manufactured, overplayed stuff we've heard a million times makes more money than any of us ever will. You can't reasonably judge the music based on much other than what you happen to like; some people don't give a **** about what someone's music is supposed to represent. As for creativity, it is a lot like philosophical ideas, in that so much has been thought of by now that basically no one is making huge waves outside of their culture. It's all been done before.

tl;dr--I really like Freezepop, though they don't really do anything amazing from a musical perspective. They don't make music to be deep or represent anything specific; they just enjoy doing it, and I like the way it sounds. If you believe that that fact makes their music inherently worse, you're dumb.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
that is not what im saying at all.
im just saying that critics exist. i like taco bell and i could argue that all that matters when dealing with food is how good it tastes (and nutritional value to some extent) but im sure a food critic would find taco bell hard to digest, or at the very least, find it nothing to go write home about.

where did you get that i like "deep" music or only like bands that are really serious and trying to make a statement? i actually resent that stuff. did you not read my post?

and actually in an answer to mc-killa posting that rapper i was going to respond saying that he sounds like he is tkaing himself too seriously. the string instrument kind of sets the tone for that at the beginging so it wasnt really off to a good start for me. i dont rally like ppl like Immortal Technique when it comes to rap and that is what it reminds me of. its like ppl that are like "i just have something really really intellegent or cool to say so im going to do so in the most badass manner that i can think of" and when rappers begin to take on that mindset, their musicality and appreciation for the groudn roots of whatever style it is they are going off of kind of starts to compromise.

anyways, i think you took my entire post out of context, reflex, and im not really sure how to say what i want to. most bands that i like are not musical geniuses but they are pretty appreciative of detailed observations in the style of music they are playing and pretty knowledgable about the culture of it and how to make something jazzy, for example, sound even more jazzier without the average listener knowing exactly why it suddenly sounds more jazzy, or they could make it sound jazzy but make it sound like that on their own terms. they just really know music really well.

and the music industry is ****ed up so i wouldnt judge based upon that. basically all i really listen to is bloggers and other music critics and music that sounds good to a person that listens to music and analyzes it every day does produce good results, by way of the opnion of other music critics, elitists, and bloggers. and also, record lables are soon to be a thing of the past as the free internet music takes over. ive been ont he front lines of this for a while and the past few years things have really started to take shape for artists that are strictly part of an internet scene. i believe that soon enough the music industry will have it's inevitable downfall.

i agree that it is always more about the sound and not so much about being "deep", poetic, or making a statement though, reflex. i make fun of that kind of music quite often so i have no idea where you get the idea thats what im trying to say. im approaching it from an entirely different angle. im approaching it from a strictly musical angle, actually. i feel like i would be approaching it from a more personal angle, and hate on certain genres of music, if i was that kind of dude. some of my favorite bands sing about dancing, what it would be like to be an indian, and sneaking out at night from their parents house. hell my last link was about a guy saying that you can depend on him to sell you weed. i feel like you are not really reading my posts, if what you are getting out of them is the things you have said in response.

its all about style swag soul or whatever u wanna call it and hitting that right note in a person's brain that triggers all kinds of **** you forgot or didnt even know was there. READ MY LAST POSTS ABOUT ANALYZING WEST COAST OLDSCHOOL RAP : (

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
anyways i feel like you might like Broadcast, reflex have you ever heard of them? i like making music suggestions more than anything lol so thats what im gonna do while in the midst of a link posting page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atYnZZ-UrHk

the video itself may be a bit pretensious though.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Blackalicious is mad ****ing dope. The Gift of Gab is easily one of the most talented rappers evar. The Gift of Gab is a technical rapper. He's not a lyrical rapper.

you guys can't have your gay music discussions, but don't get me started on rappers dog

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
and actually in an answer to mc-killa posting that rapper i was going to respond saying that he sounds like he is tkaing himself too seriously. the string instrument kind of sets the tone for that at the beginging so it wasnt really off to a good start for me. i dont rally like ppl like Immortal Technique when it comes to rap and that is what it reminds me of. its like ppl that are like "i just have something really really intellegent or cool to say so im going to do so in the most badass manner that i can think of" and when rappers begin to take on that mindset, their musicality and appreciation for the groudn roots of whatever style it is they are going off of kind of starts to compromise.
Sounds about right, when i listen to it it sounds more like he's taunting others for not taking the genre itself seriously instead of him taking himself too seriously. i would not take a pick of the opening instrument to be a tone predictable enough to set such a tone since theres always music that may sound 'peaceful' or 'happy' but the lyrics behind it are very, very depressing

theres another way i wanna explain it, but i cant think of it. either way some artists are aware of those kinds of flaws and can express it properly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNKv_nrTIeI

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQWX4xmImA&feature=related
ok nrmnd i gave in, this is what im listening to ATM.
and to kind of go with how i feel about music isssss the first youtube comment under this video lol

"im a music production student, and to be honest, the mono sound and minimalist production quality make this sound absolutely beautiful." ----- essentially the gest of what im trying to say.

also this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27mMsMukszw&feature=related
which is heavily and modernly influenced by shoegaze (the genre of the previous band i posted)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
that is not what im saying at all.
im just saying that critics exist. i like taco bell and i could argue that all that matters when dealing with food is how good it tastes (and nutritional value to some extent) but im sure a food critic would find taco bell hard to digest, or at the very least, find it nothing to go write home about.

where did you get that i like "deep" music or only like bands that are really serious and trying to make a statement? i actually resent that stuff. did you not read my post?

anyways, i think you took my entire post out of context, reflex, and im not really sure how to say what i want to. most bands that i like are not musical geniuses but they are pretty appreciative of detailed observations in the style of music they are playing and pretty knowledgable about the culture of it and how to make something jazzy, for example, sound even more jazzier without the average listener knowing exactly why it suddenly sounds more jazzy, or they could make it sound jazzy but make it sound like that on their own terms. they just really know music really well.

and the music industry is ****ed up so i wouldnt judge based upon that. basically all i really listen to is bloggers and other music critics and music that sounds good to a person that listens to music and analyzes it every day does produce good results, by way of the opnion of other music critics, elitists, and bloggers. and also, record lables are soon to be a thing of the past as the free internet music takes over. ive been ont he front lines of this for a while and the past few years things have really started to take shape for artists that are strictly part of an internet scene. i believe that soon enough the music industry will have it's inevitable downfall.

i agree that it is always more about the sound and not so much about being "deep", poetic, or making a statement though, reflex. i make fun of that kind of music quite often so i have no idea where you get the idea thats what im trying to say. im approaching it from an entirely different angle. im approaching it from a strictly musical angle, actually. i feel like i would be approaching it from a more personal angle, and hate on certain genres of music, if i was that kind of dude. some of my favorite bands sing about dancing, what it would be like to be an indian, and sneaking out at night from their parents house. hell my last link was about a guy saying that you can depend on him to sell you weed. i feel like you are not really reading my posts, if what you are getting out of them is the things you have said in response.

its all about style swag soul or whatever u wanna call it and hitting that right note in a person's brain that triggers all kinds of **** you forgot or didnt even know was there. READ MY LAST POSTS ABOUT ANALYZING WEST COAST OLDSCHOOL RAP : (
I didn't take your post out of context, but I did misunderstand your post, and I apologize for getting all counterattack over something you weren't actually saying. Music composition is different; seeing and hearing the changes a person makes can definitely be reasonably appreciated.

That said, I still think that the idea of "understanding" most vague works that people would call "art" is a load of barnacles. Perhaps that is because I am merely ignorant of much of the symbolism, but, when I'm in literature class and a teacher tells me that a woman in a story is wearing a red dress because she wants to be free or something like that, that's stupid to me. It has nothing to do with the story or the character as a person, and the only way anyone could actually know that is if the author went out of his/her way to explain it, and even if s/he did, that has no real bearing on the story, as I imagine that would show elsewhere. People praising or hazing paintings for anything that can't be explained to a layperson are silly.

This makes me wonder what other people think. I'm totally taking this discussion to Facebook.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
yeah i guess i like to appreciated small textures and small subtle things that artists do to make it sound... more i guess. like itll make a funk song sound more funky.
i agree that music is strictly personal though and no vague meaning should be taken and shoved down everyone's throat. its about how the song makes yoou feel and what it brings to mind.
i was also a literature major and took that same approach to it as you do, reflex. i would always be like, well i think the red dress means "something totally unexpected" just to stress the point that the story is really what you make it yourself.
i get this idea from reading alot of stream of cosnscious books too though. they introduced me i believe. reality is what you make it its not objective.

so with music, yes i agree the whole message thing is kinda dumb. but just to stress it again im talking about the style of artists. certain artists got more style in the right places than other artists do and i just really appreciate it when someone knows how to swag all over the place in their element. i guess you could compare it to diction in literature rather than interpretation.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i really wanna go to iron brawl its gonna suck if i cant.

anyone wanna smashfest on friday? i cant make any promises that itll actually go through but just in case who would be down? raf, are you going to iron brawl? what about you luis? or janitor wbu? or what about huntsvile area like spade? but he doesnt check the boards lol. id drive anywhere then ride out with whoever i spent the night with on friday if it turns out i am able to go. that is, assuming that no one minds that im essentially inviting myself to stay over at your place lool.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
if i cant smash on friday and if the weathers bad enough wanna just ride out with me that morning, kevin? since you know the way to tuscaloosa, also lol.

and i would be the first to offer housing but yall know bout me getting that g/f blocked SOOO fast if i even asked her about that. so sorry, not my fault. but i would offer you guys housing if i could. youve done so for me and im sorry i cant for you : /

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I happen to be off from work Saturday, so I guess I can make T-town happen. Really don't want to drive out of the way to pick anyone up, though. It would seriously turn a 40-minute drive to an hour and a half. $30 is steep when I don't know my availability for the rest of the season, but I'm in there.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you're going to at least two out of SIX tournaments during the season, you've already made up for it. If you plan on playing this game in the state at all, it comes highly recommended.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
word just hit me up i really dont think ill be able to smashfest on friday

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I shall be in attendance to this Iron Brawl shindig.

Are there any requests for SMB3 battle mode? Or maybe Megaton Punch?

...those are really your only options in that category sadly.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I shall be in attendance to this Iron Brawl shindig.

Are there any requests for SMB3 battle mode? Or maybe Megaton Punch?

...those are really your only options in that category sadly.
I'll stomp you out in both!

Did I hear Freezepop?
Guitar Hero turned me on to them. :D
They are hilariously awesome.
Yeah, most people know them from Guitar Hero or Rock Band. They've done a lot before and since then. Liz Enthusiasm is the only celebrity crush I've ever had.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
pretty sure upsmash is my favorite move with charizard that **** is too good.

also apparently i have a pretty decent pokemon trainer. I always do well with him. i actually feel like I do the best with ivysaur lol maybe watching all those reflex vids has paid off. its more likely that just no one knows the matchup

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Top Bottom