• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All Characters Match-up Chart (9/07 update)

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
wery nice but i just like to play and learn instead of hear someones opinion
quoted with truth. that's also how i feel about the tier list.

and to Phish-it, your edit has unfortunately failed. i explained how it's easier to reverse blazer jigs. all roys moves have high knock back. his aerials are fast, strong, high damage, and are great for combos. Fox is possibly the easiest character for Roy to combo. I can't even name how many ways Roy pawns Fox. If you'd play Roy rather then degrade him, you'd understand.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
If you don't want someone's opinion, you might as well not look at half of the threads on SWF.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Can anybody give me a reason Link vs peach would be even? Bombs aren't enough to even the matchup and Peach ***** Link up close so hard it isn't even funny. Peach also gets random kills with the dsmash at mid %s because it ruins Link's hookshot recovery, forcing him to use the all too easy to edgeguard reverse upB.

Link can get kills at early %s with bomb -> bad DI -> dair. Otherwise Link has to work hard to get his finishers, Peach doesn't have easy kills either but she can land grabs and get Link off the edge pretty well.
Due to my practice with both Peach and Link... I've done this match up several times (on both ends of the match-up) but mainly on Link's side. And one of the main things Peach has going AGAINST her is the fact that other characters can spam better than she can. So on a big enough stage (ironic huh?) For fighting turnips, Link's Nair *****. It owns every projectile in the game but like, lasers and bombs. It also goes really well through most of her attacks. And Dthrow-->Uair works fairly well w/o DI and you MIGHT be able to get a Fair on her if she DOES DI. So I'm not sure if that warrants a 5-5, but it might.

And I know if anyone knew this, it would be Skler, I'm just saying maybe you didn't think of that at the moment or something.

I still think Jiggylpuff has a 3 against Zelda, because I have a friend who is only mediocre with her, and he hapes every Jigglypuff he comes across. That ***** can't be combo'd and is very difficult to rest, and basically has two interchangeable smash attacks in the air. Get hit by 4 of those (or three on a small stage) and you die. They are not easy to avoid because they got sweet spots all over place and are at about the same range of a back air from Jigglypuff. I just don't see what Jiggs can do to win against any equally skilled Zelda.
I agree w/ this opinion. I've stomped a few Jiggz players that are probably better than me because I played Zelda. It's bad because Jigglypuff's approach is nearly neutralized by Zelda's aerials. Zelda can also kill Jiggz w/ her Bair/Fair at about 80% (maybe a tad higher). At 0%, she can sometimes land two CONSECUTIVE SWEET-SPOTTED TOES leading to about 40% in no time at all. Oh, and Jiggz can't Utilt-->Rest Zelda, so that kill combo is completely out. I'm pretty sure Zelda has a 7 on Jiggz.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
@Handsockpuppet. Did you know that Gannon can chainthrow Roy? 0-death most of the time? It's actually quite hilarious to watch.
no i didn't know that. BTW I'm leaving the thread, so don't spam it with posts by me. Now Gooday Sir/Madams!

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
IMO, roy doesnt do too well against GOOD spacies.

ps: could handsockpuppet be the next ragnarokntexas!?!?!

$hYne

Smash Ace
Germany, but i dont use this account anymore, my n
Hey, just some annotations from me (Jigglypuff matchups) :

Marth Matchup should be 3:7 in favor of Marth . A good Marth can be as anoying as Fox.
Reasons here are simply to things : 1.range 2.spacing . Spacing refers to Marths spacing, e.g.
well spaced sh double fairs and to your spacing , cuz if you try to space as you normaly would,
you´ll be most of the time in perfect tipper range .

Peach Matchup should be 5:5 . Neither EG on both sides nor combos . Actually i don´t see a reason why Peach should have the better position in this matchup . (Don´t tell me something
about Turnip spam -> Fair -> catch )

Pikachu Matchup should be 4:6 in favor of Pika . Allright Pikachu has his usmash . Anything else?
No! Jigglypuff can wop pika fairly well and can edgeguard decent . Pikachu cannot spam like Fox.
(Well he can but it should be no problem lol)

Young Link should probably be 5:5 because he can spam and kill jiggz fairly well with dair or
something . So no matchup advantage for Jiggs here .

Imo M2 Matchup shouln´t be that much in favor for jiggs, but this is just a personal preference,

Magus420

Smash Master
Zelda does not do well against Jiggs at all if they know how to be patient, maintain the right spacing, and when to attack. Jiggs can empty SH camp just out of toe range while still having her in danger of a quick b-air at any time using their superior aerial mobility/horizontal speed, keeping her in a bad spot where she has to act and then gets smacked with a b-air when an opening is made. Zelda has a really hard time getting past Jiggs' control of space when done correctly.

D20

Smash Lord
I honestly feel that the Young Link / Jigglypuff match up should be at least 5-5... probably 6-4 in favor of Young Link. In addition to the general bomb spamming (which has absolute priority), bomb to dair KOs Jigglypuff at ridiculously low percentages. Bomb to uair is also brutal. Finally, if Jiggly misses a rest, Young Link should be able to rack up enough damage for a KO: Toss a bomb up > grab > punch > dthrow > bomb hits Jiggly on his/her way up and freezes her > dair.

In addtion:
Peach / Young Link = 6-4 Peach
Link / Young Link = 5-5
Young Link / DK = 6-4 Young Link

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Zelda does not do well against Jiggs at all if they know how to be patient, maintain the right spacing, and when to attack. Jiggs can empty SH camp just out of toe range while still having her in danger of a quick b-air at any time using their superior aerial mobility/horizontal speed, keeping her in a bad spot where she has to act and then gets smacked with a b-air when an opening is made. Zelda has a really hard time getting past Jiggs' control of space when done correctly.
You can say that most match-ups aren't that bad if you say "as long as you play it right." The Jiggly/Zelda match requires a lot more control, spacing, and overall skill on the Jiggly player's part than Zelda's. Zelda can land 4, MAYBE 5 toes and have it kill 99% of the time no matter what stage or direction the hit is in. She can short hop double aerial those toes, so she can basically spam them the whole match, get a few lucky hits and win. Jigglypuff can't hardly rest her ever (unless they're dumb enough to forward smash, and that only ever works once or twice), and though Zelda can be semi-aerial combo'd, if you try to go for more than two you usually get a toe to the face. You have to play hit and run the whole match, because Zelda is too floaty stay up-ons the whole game, and this style of play is way in favor of Zelda because her hits do twice as much damage and have much more knockback. This table assumes two players of equal skill, and I think that to win this match-up, the Jigglypuff player would have to be much more skilled. Hence why she is at such a disadvantage.

Zarelid

Smash Lord
never saw this but it's cool just some keys Falco is worse vs Link then Sheik is lol and Link ***** Samus lol haven't you heard me vs hugs?

Magus420

Smash Master
You can say that most match-ups aren't that bad if you say "as long as you play it right." The Jiggly/Zelda match requires a lot more control, spacing, and overall skill on the Jiggly player's part than Zelda's. Zelda can land 4, MAYBE 5 toes and have it kill 99% of the time no matter what stage or direction the hit is in. She can short hop double aerial those toes, so she can basically spam them the whole match, get a few lucky hits and win. Jigglypuff can't hardly rest her ever (unless they're dumb enough to forward smash, and that only ever works once or twice), and though Zelda can be semi-aerial combo'd, if you try to go for more than two you usually get a toe to the face. You have to play hit and run the whole match, because Zelda is too floaty stay up-ons the whole game, and this style of play is way in favor of Zelda because her hits do twice as much damage and have much more knockback. This table assumes two players of equal skill, and I think that to win this match-up, the Jigglypuff player would have to be much more skilled. Hence why she is at such a disadvantage.
You can also say that most matchups are bad when you needlessly jump into ****. I know the matchup very well playing from both sides of 2 of my mains, and have played some of the best Zeldas from Jiggs' end. I used to think it was in Zelda's favor too until I realized you can just b-air camp like that for a safe way of getting hits in. Often single hit b-air hit and run yes, but when Zelda has a VERY hard time getting hits herself, and those hits usually aren't kicks, it's not Zelda's match to win.

From the sound of your post you need to look more closely at when her openings are. Playing Zelda myself helps that for me I suppose, but by no means should she be able to double kick freely and get away with it against Jiggs. Zelda jumps, Jiggs adjusts spacing and moves more out of kick range if necessary, Zelda has to eventually land and Jiggs weaves back in just enough to smack with the tip of a b-air during her landlag.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
But in this case it would just end up being a huge stalemate. I'm pretty sure Zelda's Bair outranges Jiggz's Bair, and at the very least it comes even. In this case, both characters are afraid of approaching from fear of getting attacked. You said Jiggz can empty SH, well I guess so can Zelda. I know Jiggz has WAY better aerial mobility, but a good Zelda can SH double Bair over and over again until she gets back out of range or into position or whatever. Zelda is pretty good at pressuring shields with this unless the opponent jumps away. And if the opponent jumps TOWARDS Zelda and ends up passing her, she can just change direction and use her Fair instead.

and Link ***** Samus lol
QFT

Magus420

Smash Master
The moves themselves have about the same range, but again, it's about the extra horizontal air speed. If Jiggs is positioned in a way where Zelda can't immediately get a quick kick into range while Jiggs can get a quick b-air in at any time, that is not a stalemate. That is Zelda put into a bad position that Jiggs can maintain and abuse with Zelda's inferior horizontal movement.

I don't know how else to explain it beyond that so if you still think that's good for Zelda then whatever I guess =P

Protoguy

Smash Cadet
Or we could call it even since it sounds like both will be doing hit and run camping the whole match....

Zarelid

Smash Lord
QTF I don't even know what that means LOL and yeah I have yet to lose to a Samus with Link including top players like Wes and HugS I've beaten them both and not TOO long ago lol and continue to prove that point everytime lol

Sliq

Smash Master
QTF I don't even know what that means LOL and yeah I have yet to lose to a Samus with Link including top players like Wes and HugS I've beaten them both and not TOO long ago lol and continue to prove that point everytime lol
Recently, Watty took me to Corneria, and I switched from Jiggs to Link and won. I personally feel Link has the advantage in that match up, as well.

Tonb3rry

Smash Ace
I've played G&W as a LT-main for a long time, and the two only big counters imo is Luigi and Pikachu. G&W is not good against Luigi at all.

Samochan

Smash Master
I've played G&W as a LT-main for a long time, and the two only big counters imo is Luigi and Pikachu. G&W is not good against Luigi at all.
Link and Ylink own GW as well. With that shield and lightweight it's too easy to combo GW and with leet GW's evasion skills he won't stand against projectiles for long. Also, link dthrow 80% autokill is nasty as well, along with other stuff.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Could... someone care to explain why?
Link's projectiles beats Samus' since repeat boomerangs beat missles and Link can also throw a bomb and boomerang pretty close to each other (boomerang then bomb or bomb then boomerang etc.). In addition, these projectiles are much more flexible since the boomerang can be thrown in different angles and the bomb is thrown in an arc. Since Link beats Samus' projectile game, Samus cannot camp which is bad since she relies on people coming to her. It is known that her approach game is weak in the first place so approaching at all is not very good, but it is even worse that she is a big target and has a hard time evading Link's projectiles. Link's projectiles also allow for him to edgeguard Samus better than most characters by destroying her bombs.

Link also combos Samus pretty well with bair and upair (Samus' low stun time doesn't help much here due to the upair's huge disjointed priority and Samus being too floaty to evade easily). The projectiles sets up for these combos well enough. His fair gives a pretty good counter to Samus' crouch councelling game when in the air while dsmash does that on the ground and he has about the same range as Samus with melee attacks except with dijointed hitboxes (her priority is somewhat negated). If she smashes the sheild which Samus' love to dsmash and the like, Link gets a free grab which is nice even if he can't truly combo out of it.

It is definitely not an easy matchup for Samus, but I am not sure if it is indeed easy for Link. Link has the advantage (I think), but I don't know by how much since Samus has some things against Link, too. Eh, I don't know.

Also, I agree with Samochan. That is one of Link's only easy matchups. . . that and Bowser. lol Well, Mewtwo and Pichu are pretty easy too I guess, but G&W and Bowser seem to have no way to get close Link and get comboed to death.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Could... someone care to explain why?
Link's Nair > Samus's projectiles.
It goes through every single one except for a fully charged shot. So if Samus tries to missle-spam Link, he can shffl Nairs until he gets to her. She can't do the same thing in return because shffl'ing for her is a lot slower since she short hops so high.

As for hit and run, Link has more control over his projectiles. Samus's homing missles are the only ones she can use that's aren't straight forward (and even then, they go really slow), while Link can throw his boomerang in 3 (or so) directions, and can throw bombs however he wants.

Killing Samus is Link's only problem. He can edgeguard her fairly well by Nair'ing her chain recovery and dropping bombs that set up into upB or Fair or Dair. But he doesn't have a really good horizontal killing move. His Dair isn't amazing either, the ending lag often gives Samus a chance to air-dodge w/o the risk of being hit by it afterwards. Samus can kill Link pretty well w/ the Fsmash tho, it sends him pretty horizontally w/o DI, so he'll be hardpressed not to go too far with DI.

It's really a battle of the titans since they're both so heavy and it comes down to Link's mediocre comboes and good stage control to Samus's lack of real combos and decent stage control.

I might be missing something though, if you guys know something about this match-up that I don't, please remind me.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I've also mained G&W as a co-main for a while now, but I find G&W's counters to be Marth and Peach. Luigi is indeed tough, but I don't consider him a counter. Pikachu's not hard but not easy either...

Link and Ylink own GW as well. With that shield and lightweight it's too easy to combo GW and with leet GW's evasion skills he won't stand against projectiles for long. Also, link dthrow 80% autokill is nasty as well, along with other stuff.
I actually find Link to be one of my easiest matchups with G&W. For one thing, G&W combos Link MUCH better than Link combos G&W. Also, G&W isn't supposed to use normal evasion options (shield, roll, spot dodge) against Link's projectiles. He should be trying to move to a higher level (or lower level) than the projectiles, and use his own disjointed attacks and light shield to block them if necessary. G&W is faster in general than Link, too. Ylink definitely doesn't own G&W either, it's a pretty even matchup to me.

Link is good versus Samus

looks like a 5-5 matchup
Samus is basically a better version of Link, they can do a lot of the same things to each other. Samus should NOT be trying to outspam Link, just find a way over it or plow through it with ftilts, jabs, and WD out of shield. Samus comes out on top in the long run, I'd say this is a 7-3 matchup.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Samus comes out on top in the long run, I'd say this is a 7-3 matchup.
Ok... Samus MAY come out on top (I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong) but by NO means is it 7-3. Samus does not beat Link that bad. At BEST it's 6-4 Samus, at worst it's 5-5, but I don't think under any circumstances is the match-up 7-3 Samus.

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why Peach is considered so good against the Ice climbers. Could someone please explain to me why this is?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I don't get why Peach is considered so good against the Ice climbers. Could someone please explain to me why this is?
Because of d-smash, turnips and the fact that fced aerials are retardedly hard to punish when you're the IC. peach is very good at splitting ic and ****** nana.

Top Bottom