• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Important Message (You probably suck at Smash)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
Wow. And I thought the old Nsider boards were full of complete idiots.

Exactly how many people in this thread never got AlphaZealot's point? I lost count- page 3 wouldn't load for me.

Lemme reiterate (I might have not memorized the post, so don't hurt me if I miss something or if I get the point wrong- just point it out.): You're not going to gain any advantage over any pros just because some advanced techs may be gone. Casuals only see and know the skin of the game- competitive players know the skin, muscles, bones, and internal organs of the game itself and how they work. That sort of knowledge is what separates pros from n00bs.

Face it, you won't get any better by wavedashing all over the place or anything like that. You need to know how and when to apply what techniques you have learned. And you need to put in some time and effort in order to learn them. There's more to Smash than the glitzy stages, simple control schemes, and the menagerie of Nintendo and third-party characters, y'know.

Don't think that just because one technique is gone than you, the casual player, will own a pro player like Ken, Azen, or anyone like that in Brawl, because you won't. Those kinds of players know Smash inside and out- not only do they know the techniques, but they also know when and how to apply them. Plus, from the looks of things, they're smarter than you.

If you want to play casual Smash with all the items stages, characters and all that whatnot, more power to you. But if you want to brag about how you can "pwn n00bs", YOU NEED TO SHOW THAT YOU ARE CAPABLE OF DOING SO. How will you attain such a level? You need experience. How? Go to tournaments whenever you get the chance. Play against different people. Study their playstyle. Find people who are good. It's not rocket science, people. Sheesh.

I've only been to one tournament in my life- that tournament made me realize I suck. Why? I only knew the skin of Smash, not what's under it. For a guy who's owned Melee for almost 6 years since he bought it, I got one hell of a reality check. THAT'S how much a tournament will open your eyes.

Dave the Perspicacious

Smash Journeyman
The sheer level of incomprehension and lack of sagaciousness astounds me.

People should learn to be more equanimous, and less undiscerning.

Read and think before you post, even if you do not appreciate or take kindly to the way a post is written.

Think about the intention and context, before you rush to foolish conclusions about what how the poster is being spiteful.

Dave

Walgreens Pharmacist

Smash Apprentice
how stupid is this entire thread, lol.
i play in the midwest, so i've beaten and lost to mind you to mathos, and some other random people that play competitive samash around the area.

This is the last time i'm posting here, how immature is it to actually edit quotes.

My point still stands, they was NO REASON for Alpha to insult the casual gamers that don't run their mouths, and the players that don't spend days and days playing w/o sleep. I'm interesting in getting great at Brawl, Melee is just an after thought. It doesn't seem to matter if wave-dashing is in or not, either way there are going to be the people that take it too far, and the people that have lives and do other things.

Edit: Don't talk to me like i'm not decent just b/c i don't care to post here, and you've wasted your life posting 700 times in less than a year. i come on this website to see feedback from brawl updates.

Salaad

Smash Ace
The sheer level of incomprehension and lack of sagaciousness astounds me.

People should learn to be more equanimous, and less undiscerning.

Read and think before you post, even if you do not appreciate or take kindly to the way a post is written.

Think about the intention and context, before you rush to foolish conclusions about what how the poster is being spiteful.

Dave
QTF. First peaceful post I've seen..

legendofme

Smash Journeyman
I'll play with wavedash there or not. that's just how raw I am. Y'all probably just don't wanna get owned by Isai like he was doing in smash 64 roflmao. i kid i kid. lololol

I hate balanced games, and competitive players that complain. I cant stand you people. Something will be abusable eventually..It's just that every character should have something unique and h***a abusable. That way you don't have to try to balance it just make every character as good as possible.

billywill

Smash Journeyman
You cant really say somebody sucks just because the style they use to play is different from what you agree. For example, (just an example not true) say if some guy only plays adventure, classic, and all-star in smash. He can beat all them on very hard without losing a single life . (which i doubt any of u can do.) So he shows everyone he can do that and nobody else can. He says that everyone else sucks cause they can't beat it without losing a life. He then goes on to cruel melee and gets 300 KO's in under a minute. Nobody else can do that so he thinks you all suck. So compared to that guy everyone else would suck because from what he sees, beating the modes like that is the real comparison of skill.
That is how i comprehended AlphaZealot's definition of saying non WD's, L-cancelers, and tourney goers all suck.

G&Wismyhomeboy

Smash Cadet
Really, he's like a Nazi. "All those who are not like me are inferior."
Thread over. Godwin's law wins.

AlphaZealot: I understand your argument, and I see the truth in your original post. It's impossible to really know how good you are in the grand scheme of things until you go to a real tourney with some crazy good people. I just think you should have worded your post a little differently.

However, it is indeed possible to get good outside of tournaments. I have gotten tons better at Smash just by watching videos and reading posts on this board. No, I'm not the stuff, and will never claim to be. I'm just saying it's possible to improve in ways other than getting your face handed to you at a tournament. Although that's certainly a great method. ;-)

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Now I apparently suck because i cant afford to go tournaments. Nice logic.
Uh... not because you can't afford it, because you can't GO. I don't see why that's poor logic, or why someone would be offended. That's like saying: "Now I apparently suck because i don't practice. Nice logic." Actually, it's perfect logic. I'm so very sorry if you can't get together with good players to practice with, but that's what it takes. Heck, I'm in the same situation. I've been to a few tourneys, a few smashfests, and practice my technical skills enough to be decent, but I'm still stuck playing just a few n00bs, and 1 halfway decent scrub. This means I haven't progressed AT ALL in many months, even though I still play at least a few times a week.

Anyway, I'm pretty much in agreement with the topic starter, though I'm not too keen on most of the advanced techs being taken out. Blah!

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
this thread gave me a major headache.
i ****ing hate noobs that dont shut up even when they dont know what they're talkinga bout

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
AlphaZealot is a darn good mod.
Being able to wave dash and shffl are simply status symbols. Like in poker, when a player shuffles his chips, you start thinking, "wow he must be good at poker to know how to do that" Well, no .. he just spend 24 hours one day practicing how to shuffel his chips.
You're nuts. They can shuffle poker chips because they've obviously spent a lot of time at the poker table and developed the habbit. But it doesn't matter anyway because your allusion was flawed in the first place.
It's funny how the people who didn't read the first post suddenly disappeared. I wonder if AZ banned them for all of that flaming.
They realized they were wrong, went to cry elsewhere at this realization, and will probably return tommorrow and pretend nothing happened because they dont want to be proven wrong.

And I find it hilarious how some people are getting so excited and post "WE HAVE A LIFE! WE DONT NEED TO PLAY GAMES ALL DAY!" You're basically calling people who play excessively losers for caring about a game too much. At the same time, you've just been "insulted" because someone told you you weren't very good at the game you never cared too much about in the first place. Yeah. Good stuff.

I agree with everything the topic creator has said.

Edit:
However, it is indeed possible to get good outside of tournaments. I have gotten tons better at Smash just by watching videos and reading posts on this board. No, I'm not the stuff, and will never claim to be. I'm just saying it's possible to improve in ways other than getting your face handed to you at a tournament. Although that's certainly a great method. ;-)
Yes, you did get better by watching videos, but you really aren't one of the best, and wont EVER be while only watching videos of people playing. You need first hand experience. That's what he's been saying all along. Being good is much different from "getting better".

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Worst thread I've ever seen here, the smash community is apparently really stuck up.

Nothing but a bunch of conceptualized pretentious bull ****.

Consider actually talking about the game, instead of just talking about wave dashing and how many weekends you wasted on tournaments.

ArachnoKeegan

Smash Rookie
You're nuts. They can shuffle poker chips because they've obviously spent a lot of time at the poker table and developed the habbit. But it doesn't matter anyway because your allusion was flawed in the first place.
i know how to chip shuffle really good and i suck at poker......called practicing lol

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Someone will always be better than the guy who doesn't care enough to get better.

leeharris100

Smash Rookie
I've taken hundreds of dollars alone in bet money because some douche thinks he is saucey due to owning his 5 friends with some ridiculous tactic (a Marth that only counters for example).

I've met people who can wavedash, but can't understand the concept of L-cancelling and I destroy them. Every single competitive player I've met or played against can wavedash, L-cancel, and knows every trick to their character. See my point? 95% of you probably won't.

You don't get better without playing better people. This applies to every game, from smash to halo 3. If you don't think so, find better people to play with and you will see.

Melee is in general much more fun when you learn the advanced tactics and you play against good people. Period. If you disagree, you suck, or you have no pros to play against.

Falcon > everyone.

-leesauce out

iMichael

Smash Lord
*holds head in shame* I thought more people here could read.
Don't hold your head in shame...ppl can read...I'm just saying you don't know how you'll do at a tournament..I'm not saying you'll win it...but d*** least have confidence...your just saying you suck just straight up like that....but nevermind forget it.....you say you suck then go ahead and suck....

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Worst thread I've ever seen here, the smash community is apparently really stuck up.

Nothing but a bunch of conceptualized pretentious bull ****.

Consider actually talking about the game, instead of just talking about wave dashing and how many weekends you wasted on tournaments.
lol...dude...every time I come back to this page you're edited this post once again, each time with a different insult about how we've "wasted our time on tournaments". wtf.

You should've stuck with your second post, where you removed (most of) your insults toward competitive players.

Walgreens Pharmacist

Smash Apprentice
Someone will always be better than the guy who doesn't care enough to get better.
thats a terrible life lesson. i thought i'd just let you know. If you really wish to spend so much time on something that will not further your life, is terrible logic. I'd so much rather study, go on to college, and get a degree than to waste my life on a game that i only see as a hobby.

People like M2K, that have admitted to playing the game whenever they have spare time is truely sad and pathetic. Don't speak so childish. Seriously, games are made to play once in a while, and always have fun. To actually play the game to this level, it doesn't really seem you care that the game is fun anymore, you care about being the best.

If you play this game with the ambition of being the best, your a really sad person, and you REALLY need to pick up a few more hobbies, b/c i know i'm not about to even pick up the game EVERYDAY yet alone hours into the night everyday.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
I've taken hundreds of dollars alone in bet money because some douche thinks he is saucey due to owning his 5 friends with some ridiculous tactic (a Marth that only counters for example).

I've met people who can wavedash, but can't understand the concept of L-cancelling and I destroy them. Every single competitive player I've met or played against can wavedash, L-cancel, and knows every trick to their character. See my point? 95% of you probably won't.

You don't get better without playing better people. This applies to every game, from smash to halo 3. If you don't think so, find better people to play with and you will see.

Melee is in general much more fun when you learn the advanced tactics and you play against good people. Period. If you disagree, you suck, or you have no pros to play against.

Falcon > everyone.

-leesauce out
What is the freaking point of this thread?

Okay... People who put more effort into improving... Improve.

No ****.

I can probably destroy the majority of you in any FPS but I didn't make a thread bragging about it.

lol...dude...every time I come back to this page you're edited this post once again, each time with a different insult about how we've "wasted our time on tournaments". wtf.

You should've stuck with your second post, where you removed (most of) your insults toward competitive players.
lololol.... dude... I edit my posts to add more thoughts or change my thoughts.

Nice job pointing that out Mr. l33t poster.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
God qq more. Wavedashing is out. GTFO and cry somewhere else where someone gives a ****. You lose. Pool's closed. Go home.

Salaad

Smash Ace
thats a terrible life lesson. i thought i'd just let you know. If you really wish to spend so much time on something that will not further your life, is terrible logic. I'd so much rather study, go on to college, and get a degree than to waste my life on a game that i only see as a hobby.

People like M2K, that have admitted to playing the game whenever they have spare time is truely sad and pathetic. Don't speak so childish. Seriously, games are made to play once in a while, and always have fun. To actually play the game to this level, it doesn't really seem you care that the game is fun anymore, you care about being the best.

If you play this game with the ambition of being the best, your a really sad person, and you REALLY need to pick up a few more hobbies, b/c i know i'm not about to even pick up the game EVERYDAY yet alone hours into the night everyday.
Umm, called a hobby? Just like any other sport.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
What is the freaking point of this thread?
Okay... People who put more effort into improving... Improve.
Try again.

It's kinda funny how a lot of you guys who think we are being immature are being really immature right back by bringing up the silly "get a life" type of thing.

Junpappy

Smash Lord

You're reading way deeper into my post than you should be reading. Did I say that you should have to spend every second you can spare improving at this game? No. Besides, Mew2King has plans to go to college, get a degree, and become a game maker. By spending as much time as he has playing smash, he's now one of if not the best player in the world. He's earned thousands of dollars by winning big tournaments. Why should you have the right to tell him how to live his life? Would you be happy if he went outside more and wasted time doing stuff he doesn't really want to do? Does he not have a "life" because he doesn't adhere to the societal rules that have brainwashed you and people like you?

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Try again.

It's kinda funny how a lot of you guys who think we are being immature are being really immature right back by bringing up the silly "get a life" type of thing.
Did you just try and put thoughts in my head. lol

I don't think anyone is being immature, and I can acknowledge that pro smashers have lives.

That does not change the fact that this thread is ******** and pointless.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Did you just try and put thoughts in my head. lol

I don't think anyone is being immature, and I can acknowledge that pro smashers have lives.

That does not change the fact that this thread is ******** and pointless.
My 2nd statement wasn't referring to you, just a lot of the people here in general. However, the 1st statement was. You completely missed the point of the thread and misinterpreted it entirely.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I think this thread is a response to people in the Brawl forums saying that wavedashing, l-canceling, and playing the game the way it wasn't meant to be played is cheap and should be taken out of Brawl.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
My 2nd statement wasn't referring to you, just a lot of the people here in general. However, the 1st statement was. You completely missed the point of the thread and misinterpreted it entirely.
Well then if I missed the point... Simply explain it to me.

I think this thread is a response to people in the Brawl forums saying that wavedashing, l-canceling, and playing the game the way it wasn't meant to be played is cheap and should be taken out of Brawl.
People who are against wave dashing etc. are in the extreme minority on this forum.

There has been a ton of WD threads just in the past few days.

Now this WD shrine pops up.

greenblob

Smash Lord

Let's replace Smash with chess. Or how about tennis? Mathematics competition problems? Perhaps we can substitute in oil painting.

If you believe that competitive gaming isn't about fun, you're very mistaken.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Well then if I missed the point... Simply explain it to me.
He clearly stated his point in his post. At the end it says "My Point: etc etc" *rolls eyes*

But basically he's saying that you need to be smart to be good at Smash, as well as know and effectively use the adv. techs. You can only do that by going to tournaments unless you happen to have Smashfests with good players from all over the place, which hardly ever happens. In SSBM you can be extremely technical to kind of make up for not being smart. However, from what we've seen of Brawl so far, you can't do that since they are removing adv. techs, so its actually widening the gap in skill between players.

FalconPunch

Smash Journeyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashChu View Post
God qq more. Wavedashing is out. GTFO and cry somewhere else where someone gives a ****. You lose. Pool's closed. Go home.

Is it so hard to read? Honestly?

No, they are too busy hating us for not playing a FFA with Link and Roy on Hyrule with Pokeballs on high.

U C Wat I did Thar??

It's funny how most of the angry people replying to this thread is not even targeting by AZ post, but don't realize it.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
So AlphaZealot, any more quips to shoot down casual players?

God, this thread is so ******* arrogant! And to think I was starting to really respect tourney players. People like you just..

****, now I need to go kill something other wise I'll just rant and rave.

Ogre_Deity_Link away...
You missed the point completely as well. he isn't knocking casual players. Play the game however you want honestly. Its the people who are saying "Now that wavedashing is out we can own Ken!" that AZ is targeting.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
He clearly stated his point in his post. At the end it says "My Point: etc etc" *rolls eyes*

But basically he's saying that you need to be smart to be good at Smash, as well as know and effectively use the adv. techs. You can only do that by going to tournaments unless you happen to have Smashfests with good players from all over the place, which hardly ever happens. In SSBM you can be extremely technical to kind of make up for not being smart. However, from what we've seen of Brawl so far, you can't do that since they are removing adv. techs, so its actually widening the gap in skill between players.
Wouldn't it have been great if he had just said that, and taken out all the pretentious crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom