• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Important Message (You probably suck at Smash)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

FrankerZ
I love how the TC knows me really well and says that I have no experience at all in Smash. That I. financially, should have enough to got a tournament when in reality I really don't.

No, you know what? Going to tournaments isn't the only ****ing way to gain experience. Meeting new people who play Smash competitively OUTSIDE your house (school, local library, or anywhere in your city basically where teens or adults gather) and becoming their friend actually gains you experience. I've met a **** load of competitive players in my city, and by competitive I mean they'll use all the ATs they can and are actually thinking smart with them. They may not go to tournaments often, but dammit, they're better than I am. And you know what? I'm trying **** hard to get to where they are. In doing so, I AM gaining experience, practicing techniques and strategies I never knew of. And you know what? I'm GOOD okay? I don't need some guy on the internet telling me I'm not when he hasn't even played me in a match yet.

I DON'T play casually unless the person I'm fighting requests it. I use as many ATs as I can and come up with strategies as I use them. If I suck because I don't go to tournaments because I have no MONEY to afford to go to one or even have the time then you have no right to tell me I suck when you haven't even played me in a match. There's no bridge between these lands? Well, too **** bad, I'm gonna believe there is one and I'm gonna reside right there. And you know what else? I'm GOING to continue to meet new Smashers and learn from them and count that as experience. I don't need to go to tournaments to gain experience, I can just as easily get that from people in my own city if I find out they play Smash competitively.

So, no, stop telling me I suck when you haven't played me in a match because you DON'T know how I play. There's more than one way to gain experience so kindly, STFU about going to tournaments as the ONLY way to gain experience.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
So I suppose a Capt. Falcon player sucks if they don't use the knee and still win tournaments?
lol are you joking? You can't win tournaments with Falcon without the knee. That's like winning without a controller

Sandwich

Smash Ace
fletch71011 said:
Everything AlphaZealot said is 100% right. AZ has been around/played this game longer than a lot of members on this board, and is a moderator for a reason. I notice pretty much everyone arguing against this post has a join date pretty much within the last couple months... why don't you just listen to the more experienced players who have been around the smash scene longer than you have instead of arguing against something you do not know about? Learn to play the game, go to a couple tournaments and get destroyed, then maybe your opinion will be a little more respectful. Until then, listen to the more experienced players, they know what they are talking about and you can learn from them.
Um yeah.
I have had the game for 3 years now.
Generallization much?

Eaode

Smash Champion
I call for this thread to be closed since, although completely correct, is going nowhere in terms of discussion.

If they don't get it now, they probably never will.

Brawl Melee 64

Smash Cadet
wow...AlphaZealot, you sir, are the biggest d*ck I have ever seen..this is where I draw the line.
*plays "the oath" from FFVIII (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMKtX5OO4o)

Wavedashing does NOT separate the casual players from the hardcore players or the sucky players from the great players. It only separates the cheaters from the people who play fair. Maybe if you had spent as much time practicing techniques that were meant to be in the game other than wavedashing, you would be just as good, you just wouldnt wavedash. Many strong players argue that wavedashing does nothing to improve your game, it all depends on your style of play and the character you main. I dont wavedash, but I am really good because of my ability to read my opponent, my reflexes, and overall knowledge of the game. I cant stand people like you who think if other people dont play your way, they suck.

(music stops) Phew, I was almost going to rant as long as you did...
Oh and btw, I was just wondering..why exactly did you post this at all? What do you possibly gain from this? Are just trying to make people feel bad about the way they play a game? Because if so, then wow...thats just sad, I mean whats the point in that?

It's just a game, so have fun with it, dont ridicule others for the way they play, how childish can you get?

shminkledorf

Smash Ace
complete edit:
You aren't good. What pro will say wavedashing is useless? You probably can't read your opponent, and don't know anything about the game. what tournaments have you been to? stop thinking you're good. You aren't.

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
Oh god this thread is so frustrating, I wish I could go and punch all of you into submission...

Yet, I just can't leave. Reading all this ******** posts is addictive lol

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
*sigh*

(sorry english noob here XD~)

I think that nobody gets the point from AZ.

People who don't go to tournaments, don't deserve to talk that the exit of techniques (like Wavedash) will balance more the game.
Every topic now talks about Wavedash, and in every topic there are people arguing such unbased thing.
If you don't go to tournaments, how do you expect to judge techniques? None arguments will be solid.
Knowedge without wisdom leaves to nothing (or maybe just flamewarz).

Also I agree with AZ when he says about undiscovery talent.
There are just undiscovery POTENTIAL players.
But to be a good player, you need to evolve like everyone does even if you have "talent".
You can't evolve further if you always plays with 2 or 3 players.

(sorry anything btw)

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing has nothing to do with this, scrubs.

His point is that you need EXPERIENCE to be good. You get experience from TOURNAMENTS. If you don't go to tournaments, you have no experience and you suck.

Chances are, if you go to tournaments and are experienced, you will wavedash because you're not a scrub and realize there is no reason not to. That is the only relevance WD has to this topic.

God Bless you, AlphaZealot. I'm sure all the sensible smash players here know what you're talking about.
Firstly, lay off the huge text. Secondly, not everyone can go to tournaments for various reasons. Maybe they can't afford to go, maybe they can't get to where the tourney is held, or maybe, as in my case, we don't even have Melee tourneys (AFAIK) here in the UK. Saying that everyone who doesn't go to tourneys sucks at Melee is a stupid argument, full stop. About 2% of the Smash community goes to tourneys, and yes, they are surely very skilled at the game, but that gives you no right to flat out insult the other 98% of the community.

FYI, Melee is a game that can be played any way you want to. If you want to play matches with 4 stock, 8min time limit, no items on 'fair' stages, then good for you. You have every right to do that if that's what you enjoy. But some of us prefer to play differently to you 'Melee elites', using items and 'banned stages'. It's not cos we suck, or cos we're 'scrubs', it's because that's how we enjoy the game. That's why Melee has an item and stage selector in the first place, so the player can customise his game to his liking.

And even if I could go to Melee tourneys, I wouldn't. Know why? Cos I know I'd have no chance. It's not because I'm bad at the game, or because I play the wrong way, but because I know that I'm not good enough to take on the pros, that is the players that devote themselves to constantly playing the game. I accept that, and I don't hold a grudge against tourney players. On the contrary, I greatly admire their skill at the game, and try out some of the tricks I see in their match vids on the internet. The people I hold a grudge against are people like you, who are so quick to criticise anyone who won't play to the same rules as you and the other pros.

This was not an-anti tourney post. This post was directed at those who think that their way of playing is better and try to force their opinion on everything else. I can't stand that view. Bottom line, let everyone play as they want to, and if that method of play is tourneys and professional play, then good for them. If not, then lay off them.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Wow, this is an incredibly stupid thread. And I must be very stupid for having read the thing. (Actually, I started skimming around page 8).

I just wanted to make a couple of points:

Your SWF join date has nothing at all to do with skill. I joined in 2001, when Melee came out. I do not wavedash, I do not go to tournaments, and I more than likely "suck."

The childishness rampant in this thread is from both sides, but the "professionals" need to realize this. The word "suck" is not a friendly term. It is an insult. Whether it's true or not, it's irrelevant. If you don't want people responding angrily, you don't use inflammatory words.

But, obviously people who devote their time and resources in studying a thing are going to be better at it than those who don't.

Soodey

Smash Apprentice
Everyone posting in this thread saying "ZOMG SHUT UP U R TEH WRONGZ!!! I DUN SUCK!!111lololol" I hate you.

I'll be the first to admit that I'd consider myself to be good. But I don't play outside of a circle of local friends with the occasional school tourney. I don't suck and maybe AZ is using too strong of a word here, but he makes a good point. Everyone here who thinks they are hot **** and unbeatable need to get out there and play against other people to suck less. Stop taking it so personally, you're all acting like a bunch of idiots. Am I offended? No, and I fit into the mold of what he's describing.

Its fine if you say, "I play this game to have fun." We all do. But if you only play the game to have fun, then don't try to cry about it when people say you suck. It shouldn't matter to you.

rev

Smash Cadet
i dont know if i would say you "suck" if you can't wavedash, casue for one thats just going to piss you off. But if you can't wavedash or l-cancel then im better than you are. Simply because I can, it gives me an advantage, and OBVIOUSLY HAVE SPENT MORE(OR BETTER SPENT) TIME STRIVING TO BE BETTER AT THE GAME.

Fletch

Smash Master
Well, i think WDing isnt all that great
i know how to do it and L-canceling and some other stuff
i rarely do it but i l-cancel alotttt
i think brawl would be fine without it
i mean its not like people cant win without it
if u absolutely need WDing to win thats sad, IMO
tourny wise, ive never been to one, ive didnt even know they had tournaments lol
but i'd for sure say im of tourny level.
ive seen all the vids of tournaments on youtube and all that
and you dont need tournaments to get better, because me and my friends just play alot.
we do 1v1 tourny style(5 live no items) we watch videos on the net to see how to improve and i think we could do pretty well in a tourny.

but anywayz, if all those advanced techs are out, which i dont think all of them will be, it will be just fine.
it will makes all the "pros" have to get better without using crazy advanced techs
it will be a new challenge to overcome.
maybe you'll do better with WDing and stuff
brawl shouldnt be exactly the same as melee with w/more stuff
it should be a brand new game to learn and master
Have you read anything on these boards??? You CANNOT get that good by playing your friends, it's impossible, talk to the many players here that thought they were good too (myself included) before going to a tournament and getting destroyed, if you haven't gone to a tournament and gotten destroyed by someone much better than you, you don't know what you are talking about.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
People should get over themselves. You suck? Find a way to improve. Can't go to tournaments? Welcome to the club, no johns.

Fletch

Smash Master
Um yeah.
I have had the game for 3 years now.
Generallization much?
I've had the game since it's release, and honestly I can say that I have completely sucked at it until joining this site, all the while thinking I was amazing because I could destroy all my friends. There's a difference between having the game for a while and actually knowing how to play.

shminkledorf

Smash Ace
People should get over themselves. You suck? Find a way to improve. Can't go to tournaments? Welcome to the club, no johns.
More people need to be like this guy. Can't go to tournaments, isn't talking about himself being good. Good job, high fives.

Roarlax

Smash Rookie
Actually, smashboards has been the biggest smash forum for quite a long time, but keep thinking you're good for the board!

I look at people with 7,000 posts and a june 2007 join date that hae 413 posts per day who apparently never stop checking the brawl boards giving out advice and saying "waah, WD isn't in brawl and I was just starting to understand how to do it!" These people make me angry, because they know even LESS than me. and that's tough.

All of these people saying "I never knew how to wavedash or short hop but I'll still pwn u!" Are even more wrong than the scumbags trying to give out advice. Go to a **** tournament, learn about how the game works and how balance is. Play against M2K, play PC, play good people, understand why they're good, and why wavedashing is useful, without using the word "mindgames" or "spacing". I bet you can't.

So allow me, someone who knows what he is talking about to say Yes, you DO suck at smash.
Thank you AZ for this post.
In short, you didn't bother to read my post and "AZ" is just short of being demagogic and you enjoy licking his boots.

That's fine, I really shouldn't expect much more from someone choosing to dwell in a hermetic environment.

Darkurai

Smash Master
THIS TOPIC IS FULL OF MORE FAIL THAN A DVD REWINDER
IN CASE YOU WEREN'T AWARE, SOME PEOPLE ACTUALLY HAVE A LIFE. WE DON'T HAVE THE TIME OR MONEY TO DROP EVERYTHING AND GO ACROSS THE COUNTRY TO PLAY A VIDEO GAME.
WAVEDASHING WAS ALSO NOT AN INTENTIONAL PART OF THE GAME. TO SAY THAT THOSE WHO DO NOT WAVEDASH SUCK IS TO SAY THAT THE VERY CREATORS OF THE GAME, AS WELL AS MASAHIRO SAKURAI HIMSELF SUCK AT THE GAME. YOU'RE ALSO SAYING THAT EVERYONE SUCKED BEFORE WAVEDASHING WAS DISCOVERED.
I DON'T WAVEDASH. I'VE NEVER BEEN TO A TOURNAMENT. YET TODAY, MY FRIEND DRAGGED ME TO THE SCHOOL'S ANIME CLUB, WHERE THERE WAS SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE
(don't ask me why, I'm not sure myself) WE ALL PLAYED, AND HAD A **** GOOD TIME. IT WAS SAID THAT ME, THE GUY WITH THE SAME FIRST NAME AS ME, AND THIS OTHER GUY WHO'S NAME I DON'T KNOW WERE ALL PRETTY GOOD AT THE GAME.

I DON'T KNOW WHERE THE **** YOU GET OFF USING YOUR STATUS AS A MODERATOR TO MAKE A TOPIC LIKE THIS. YOU CAN BET YOUR *** THAT IF I WAS THE ONE WHO MADE THIS TOPIC, IT WOULD BE LOCKED IN A MOMENT.

OVERALL, THIS ENTIRE FORUM NOW FAILS AND IT REEKS WITH CORRUPTION.

GOOD DAY.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
wow...AlphaZealot, you sir, are the biggest d*ck I have ever seen..this is where I draw the line.
*plays "the oath" from FFVIII (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMKtX5OO4o)

Wavedashing does NOT separate the casual players from the hardcore players or the sucky players from the great players. It only separates the cheaters from the people who play fair. Maybe if you had spent as much time practicing techniques that were meant to be in the game other than wavedashing, you would be just as good, you just wouldnt wavedash. Many strong players argue that wavedashing does nothing to improve your game, it all depends on your style of play and the character you main. I dont wavedash, but I am really good because of my ability to read my opponent, my reflexes, and overall knowledge of the game. I cant stand people like you who think if other people dont play your way, they suck.

(music stops) Phew, I was almost going to rant as long as you did...
Oh and btw, I was just wondering..why exactly did you post this at all? What do you possibly gain from this? Are just trying to make people feel bad about the way they play a game? Because if so, then wow...thats just sad, I mean whats the point in that?

It's just a game, so have fun with it, dont ridicule others for the way they play, how childish can you get?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Dude you are not good. AZ or any other decent Smasher could 4-stock you in 3 seconds.

Is your ego so huge that you can't admit not being good at something? I play table tennis for fun--but I don't ***** and moan about cheater tactics like spins when I get my *** beat.

I wish the mods would just start banning you guys. You really add nothing to this community.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Firstly, lay off the huge text. Secondly, not everyone can go to tournaments for various reasons. Maybe they can't afford to go, maybe they can't get to where the tourney is held, or maybe, as in my case, we don't even have Melee tourneys (AFAIK) here in the UK. Saying that everyone who doesn't go to tourneys sucks at Melee is a stupid argument, full stop. About 2% of the Smash community goes to tourneys, and yes, they are surely very skilled at the game, but that gives you no right to flat out insult the other 98% of the community.

FYI, Melee is a game that can be played any way you want to. If you want to play matches with 4 stock, 8min time limit, no items on 'fair' stages, then good for you. You have every right to do that if that's what you enjoy. But some of us prefer to play differently to you 'Melee elites', using items and 'banned stages'. It's not cos we suck, or cos we're 'scrubs', it's because that's how we enjoy the game. That's why Melee has an item and stage selector in the first place, so the player can customise his game to his liking.

And even if I could go to Melee tourneys, I wouldn't. Know why? Cos I know I'd have no chance. It's not because I'm bad at the game, or because I play the wrong way, but because I know that I'm not good enough to take on the pros, that is the players that devote themselves to constantly playing the game. I accept that, and I don't hold a grudge against tourney players. On the contrary, I greatly admire their skill at the game, and try out some of the tricks I see in their match vids on the internet. The people I hold a grudge against are people like you, who are so quick to criticise anyone who won't play to the same rules as you and the other pros.

This was not an-anti tourney post. This post was directed at those who think that their way of playing is better and try to force their opinion on everything else. I can't stand that view. Bottom line, let everyone play as they want to, and if that method of play is tourneys and professional play, then good for them. If not, then lay off them.
..... What? How the hell did you bring Tourney rules into this? You took my post and completely started ranting about a different topic.

Okay. Let's say you can't go to tournaments. You can't drive to them or there aren't any close to you. So you can't go to them. You can't gain the experience. You are not good at the game. How does the reason for you not attending tournaments have anything to do with your skill level? It doesn't matter what circumstances there are, if you don't go to tournaments, you don't get experience, and without experience you suck. Simple as that.

I still really don't understand where the tourney rules thing comes up though.

EDIT: and another thing, how are you not bad at the game if you'd "Stand no chance" at a tourney?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Do you think that most people who go to tourneys go because they think they have a chance? Absolutely not. People go to tournaments because they are loads of fun. It's exciting seeing how you stack up against other players from all over the place.

Also, as someone else said (I forget who), people need to stop taking this as an insult. I know I'm relying on stereotypes here but there's a good chance many of you are not athletic (including me). Therefore, (once again I'm relying on the stereotype just to make the point) a lot of you suck at football. Are you really gonna get offended by me telling you that you suck at football? Of course not, because you know that. People who realize where they stand should not get offended by this. It;s just those of you who think you are good but really aren't who are.

Zink

Smash Champion
*sigh*

(sorry english noob here XD~)

I think that nobody gets the point from AZ.

People who don't go to tournaments, don't deserve to talk that the exit of techniques (like Wavedash) will balance more the game.
Every topic now talks about Wavedash, and in every topic there are people arguing such unbased thing.
If you don't go to tournaments, how do you expect to judge techniques? None arguments will be solid.
Knowedge without wisdom leaves to nothing (or maybe just flamewarz).

Also I agree with AZ when he says about undiscovery talent.
There are just undiscovery POTENTIAL players.
But to be a good player, you need to evolve like everyone does even if you have "talent".
You can't evolve further if you always plays with 2 or 3 players.

(sorry anything btw)
<3 kizzu
People need to notice that all the big Smash names in this thread are on AZ's side, that's a hint.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I think we need to have a purge here at SWF. Just perma-ban all the reatards.

Also, read the first post, morons.

Scar

#HarveyDent
srsly @ Darkurai, if it's just a game then stop posting amongst people for whom this is a legit issue. Sorry we care so much. Guess we aren't as cool as you? Get over yourself, stop preaching.

I, meanwhile, still can't get over the fact that I was called a tourneyf@g for being way better than someone. lol. Go figure.

Darkurai

Smash Master
srsly @ Darkurai, if it's just a game then stop posting amongst people for whom this is a legit issue. Sorry we care so much. Guess we aren't as cool as you? Get over yourself, stop preaching.
Which is why I made another post.
But still, I severely dislike this topic, and the collective respect I have for the forums just took a nosedive.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Sure, basing your opinion of smashboards on the Brawl board makes a whole lot of sense >_>
Lol, yeah, you're right. But the thing is... over two thirds of smashboards are active on this section.

Melee has a couple hundred or so active these days, brawl has several hundreds, ssb64 has like, a dozen?

I wonder if isai and other ssb64 pros were like this toward Melee nubs.

They probably were, lol

Lunytunes4.4

Smash Journeyman
look guys the WD didn't really help much and i think that thats AZ`s point when you WD and l-cancel it doesn't automatically mean ZOMG pro cause then we would all be pro, but as some one said on this argument is "real skill is predicting your opponent " and thats exactly what pros/tourney ppl/anyone can do if they are real good at it, and it so happens to be that ppl like ken who have insane mindgames happen to be number one they aren't up there SOLEY on WD and l-cancel that wouldn't make sense

i just wanted to throw that out there. i don't know about this "gap" but all i know is on my experience it seems like anyone who doesn't know about WD and l-cancel are noobish BUT this is just from my experiences im not saying you are noobish just because you don't know such and such, but im just one of those ppl it happens to

from my point of view it seems like AZ is trying to say that the WD didn't beast or game it just helped a bit, i dont know about l-cancel but WD isn't ground breaking so without isn't gonna do much to this "gap" cause WD didn't do much in general. i dont know that is what it just looks like to me

please dont flame me anyone. i didnt flame you i will respect it if you didnt flame me if you disagree with me just tell me and state your opinions and then we can be on the same page,but please no flameing me

if the debate is over then just disregard my post dont want to start anything up :p

Darkurai

Smash Master
Sure, basing your opinion of smashboards on the Brawl board makes a whole lot of sense >_>
I'm basing my opinion on the moderator who made this topic.

Moderators are supposed to set an example for us. Yet AZ just insulted (according to him) 98% of everyone.

Really, he's like a Nazi. "All those who are not like me are inferior."

Adi

Smash Lord
Lol, yeah Nintendude, the only reason I was on the brawl forums was to keep up with the E3 updates. This was a fresh reminder to why I hate it so much.

Zink

Smash Champion
Lol, yeah, you're right. But the thing is... over two thirds of smashboards are active on this section.

Melee has a couple hundred or so active these days, brawl has several hundreds, ssb64 has like, a dozen?

I wonder if isai and other ssb64 pros were like this toward Melee nubs.

They probably were, lol
this is how like a bunch of games are. Some people just can't accept others' playstyles.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
More people need to be like this guy. Can't go to tournaments, isn't talking about himself being good. Good job, high fives.
:) I believe that the best way to become good is to acknowledge weaknesses and problem areas. This doesn't only apply to smash, so I generally have a good response to failure.

I think we need to have a purge here at SWF. Just perma-ban all the *******.

Also, read the first post, morons.
QFT, this isn't a site for tournaments anymore, it's a gamefaqs/Nsiders-esque freakshow.

I, meanwhile, still can't get over the fact that I was called a tourneyf@g for being way better than someone. lol. Go figure.
QFT. I realize I don't have a 'life', so to speak, so honestly I really don't give a flying **** about what some guy other the internet has to say about how to live my life.

I'm a Red Exodus [tourneyf@g] and I approve this message. No Johns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom