• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Important Message (You probably suck at Smash)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArachnoKeegan

Smash Rookie
Have you read anything on these boards??? You CANNOT get that good by playing your friends, it's impossible, talk to the many players here that thought they were good too (myself included) before going to a tournament and getting destroyed, if you haven't gone to a tournament and gotten destroyed by someone much better than you, you don't know what you are talking about.
ok basically your saying you cant get good unless you go to a tourny
thats like saying a fottball player cant get better at practice
or a track runner cant get better unless he gets pwned at a race
go tell the all the athletes that, i dare you

and i have gotten destroyed my some1 before but not at a tourny
tournys arnt the only place you can get destroyed at
and that destruction inspired me to practice more
thats how i can get better with playing with friends

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm basing my opinion on the moderator who made this topic.

Moderators are supposed to set an example for us. Yet AZ just insulted (according to him) 98% of everyone.

Really, he's like a Nazi. "All those who are not like me are inferior."
He "insulted" (it's more fact than insult) the people here who are spreading stupidity on smashboards. He's actually offering them HELP (in the form of a reality check) by laying down the facts. However scrubs are way too thickheaded and are just refusing to believe it, which is what caused this thread to go up in flames.

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman
..... What? How the hell did you bring Tourney rules into this? You took my post and completely started ranting about a different topic.

Okay. Let's say you can't go to tournaments. You can't drive to them or there aren't any close to you. So you can't go to them. You can't gain the experience. You are not good at the game. How does the reason for you not attending tournaments have anything to do with your skill level? It doesn't matter what circumstances there are, if you don't go to tournaments, you don't get experience, and without experience you suck. Simple as that.

Well surely, if I can't go to tourneys through no fault of my own, then I don't 'suck' for not going. It's just means I can't go to tourneys. I accept that not going to tourneys means I'm not experienced at fighting higher level competition as those who do. That does not mean I suck

I still really don't understand where the tourney rules thing comes up though.

EDIT: and another thing, how are you not bad at the game if you'd "Stand no chance" at a tourney?
Let me explain. I see myself as average-to-good when it comes to Melee. I don't have many friends who play Melee, so I don't gain much experience that way. Therefore, I know that if I went to a tourney, I'd be slaughtered by a pro. I do use the advanced techniques, just not as much as say, Ken or Mew2King.

The problem is the word "suck". It's being used way too much. Thing is, different people play in different ways, not because they can't use the advanced techniques, but because they'd rather play the game in the way they want to, and if that method of play involves shirking the advanced techniques, then so be it. Tourney pros need to stop bashing casual players. I accept that in the grand scheme of Melee skill, I rank very low due to no tourney experience. However, you don't see me attacking the people who are better than me all the time, do you? I respect them because they're better than me.

And I've changed my mind. If I ever could go to a tourney, I would. It sounds like a blast. Unfortunately, as I said before, that's unlikely to happen due to their being next to no competitive scene in this country.

I apologize if my original post sounded like just another rant from just another scrub. I was just pointing out that people should play the game however they want to, regardless of their skill or whether they go to tourneys or not. Tourney players are highly skilled (even those who don't rank very highly in tourneys) and I have no reason to attack you guys for the way you play. It's just the attitude of some of you that I dislike. A man's entitled to his opinion after all...

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
Does anyone else realize that AlphaZealot, the MODERATOR, must've closed about nine billion topics about "WAVEDASHING IN TEH BRAWL????11!" since the General Brawl Discussion was open, talking about the EXACT same things everyone is arguing about now?

Or maybe it's just me.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
A few points.

First, Lavisfiend, while its already been stated, some people REALLY are the best. Ken really was the best Melee player for years, in any style of play (items, FFA, you name it and I garentee he would/will win). Is Ken still the best? Debatable, he is still one of the top 5 players though. The point though is that the best people can only be determined through competition, and in 100% of cases, people who think they are undiscoverd talent end up losing before they even get to play someone on Ken's spectrum. Ken, at every tournament he goes to, wins against a new person he has never played before, and in the early pool rounds, he does it with characters he doesn't even use seriously. You cannot compete with someone on Ken's level unless you work your way up there through tournaments/experiance. It simply wont happen.

Second point: The majority of the 6-8 million people who own Smash (depending who you asked about how many copies were sold) haven't ever heard of wavedashing. This site, with its 70,000 members, barely scratches the surface. 70,000 may be slightly more than 2%, but the point stands, only a small fraction of the people who own the game know about wavedashing, and an even smaller fraction is affected by it. Of the 70,000 people on this site, the MINORITY are the ones who don't embrace wavedashing. The number of players who attend tournaments around the country is in the thousands, maybe tens of thousands.

Third point: I don't judge people at all based on their join date. I never have and I never will. I'll judge people based on the quality of their posts.

Fourth point: Items/FFA doesn't stop the person who is better from winning, it might make the margins of victory smaller, but it won't stop it. A person who is really good at melee is really good because of how they think, and they will still be able to outthink you on Hyrule temple with items on very high and 3 other opponents. I've even won a tournament with almost a 100 people (91) that had a ruleset similar to that...and I don't even place in the top 1/3rd at tournaments that are held through Smashboards.

Fifth point: To whoever was asking about canadian stuff: Check the canadian regions forum, and there is also a sticky for a tournament in canada in the tournament discussion. Also, I don't remember MLG going to Toronto, was that back in 2004/2005?

Sixth point: I know about Bum, KoreanDJ, and Mango, I've watched them all play, they are all really good now, but everyone of them will tell you they got better from playing against other experianced people.

Finally, I'd like to respond to this

wow...AlphaZealot, you sir, are the biggest d*ck I have ever seen..this is where I draw the line.
*plays "the oath" from FFVIII (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMKtX5OO4o)

Wavedashing does NOT separate the casual players from the hardcore players or the sucky players from the great players. It only separates the cheaters from the people who play fair. Maybe if you had spent as much time practicing techniques that were meant to be in the game other than wavedashing, you would be just as good, you just wouldnt wavedash. Many strong players argue that wavedashing does nothing to improve your game, it all depends on your style of play and the character you main. I dont wavedash, but I am really good because of my ability to read my opponent, my reflexes, and overall knowledge of the game. I cant stand people like you who think if other people dont play your way, they suck.

(music stops) Phew, I was almost going to rant as long as you did...
Oh and btw, I was just wondering..why exactly did you post this at all? What do you possibly gain from this? Are just trying to make people feel bad about the way they play a game? Because if so, then wow...thats just sad, I mean whats the point in that?

It's just a game, so have fun with it, dont ridicule others for the way they play, how childish can you get?
You didn't at all read the opening post, especially if you think I care that wavedashing is not in Brawl. I'd like it to be in, but I really don't care if it is or isn't. I think playing with items is cheating, but does that make is so? No, just as your opinion of what is cheating isn't accurate, neither is mine. I don't care how people play the game, if your having fun, that is great, but there are many people out there who falsely believe they are good, those are the people I worry about.

For the record, I consider myself an average to above average tournament player. When I go to a tournament, I'll usually finish in the upper middle third. You know what else? I can barely take a stock off of Mew2King, that is why I suck, and I'm not afraid to admit that. Also for the record, I've never closed a topic about wavedashing in Brawl, and this topic isn't about wavedashing, its about what makes some people better than others.

Fletch

Smash Master
THIS TOPIC IS FULL OF MORE FAIL THAN A DVD REWINDER
IN CASE YOU WEREN'T AWARE, SOME PEOPLE ACTUALLY HAVE A LIFE. WE DON'T HAVE THE TIME OR MONEY TO DROP EVERYTHING AND GO ACROSS THE COUNTRY TO PLAY A VIDEO GAME.
Then don't talk about the competitive aspects of the game, you don't know anything about it. No one is forcing you to play competitively, just don't talk about something you know nothing about.
WAVEDASHING WAS ALSO NOT AN INTENTIONAL PART OF THE GAME. TO SAY THAT THOSE WHO DO NOT WAVEDASH SUCK IS TO SAY THAT THE VERY CREATORS OF THE GAME, AS WELL AS MASAHIRO SAKURAI HIMSELF SUCK AT THE GAME. YOU'RE ALSO SAYING THAT EVERYONE SUCKED BEFORE WAVEDASHING WAS DISCOVERED.
This is all true.

I DON'T WAVEDASH. I'VE NEVER BEEN TO A TOURNAMENT. YET TODAY, MY FRIEND DRAGGED ME TO THE SCHOOL'S ANIME CLUB, WHERE THERE WAS SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE(don't ask me why, I'm not sure myself)WE ALL PLAYED, AND HAD A **** GOOD TIME. IT WAS SAID THAT ME, THE GUY WITH THE SAME FIRST NAME AS ME, AND THIS OTHER GUY WHO'S NAME I DON'T KNOW WERE ALL PRETTY GOOD AT THE GAME.
That's great, you don't need to use all the techs to have fun with the game, but they are not good at the game. If any of them or you went to a tournament, you would all get 4-stocked and realized how bad you sucked. Trust me, I know, I've been there.
I DON'T KNOW WHERE THE **** YOU GET OFF USING YOUR STATUS AS A MODERATOR TO MAKE A TOPIC LIKE THIS. YOU CAN BET YOUR *** THAT IF I WAS THE ONE WHO MADE THIS TOPIC, IT WOULD BE LOCKED IN A MOMENT.

OVERALL, THIS ENTIRE FORUM NOW FAILS AND IT REEKS WITH CORRUPTION.

GOOD DAY.
If you don't like it, leave. No one is forcing you to be here. Truth be told, this forum was a lot more respectful before all the new brawl members joined. There's a reason basically none of the big names/pros will post in the Brawl forums, it's because they don't want to deal with this kind of crap.

EDIT: Edited out his crazy sizing.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
There's the off chance people will get better outside tournaments but it's highly unlikely. I would love to be the one to break the mold but it's very unlikely.

I cannot imagine learning to control my opponents by fighting level 1-9 AI.

I cannot imagine learning to control my opponents by fighting in a FFA on stupid stages like Brimstar and Flatzone.

I cannot imagine learning to control my opponents by fighting 3-4 guys over and over again.

Controlling the match is a big part of tournament level smash, if you can't avoid being controlled or control people you don't stand much of a chance at the higher levels.

Brawl Melee 64

Smash Cadet
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Dude you are not good. AZ or any other decent Smasher could 4-stock you in 3 seconds.

Is your ego so huge that you can't admit not being good at something? I play table tennis for fun--but I don't ***** and moan about cheater tactics like spins when I get my *** beat.

I wish the mods would just start banning you guys. You really add nothing to this community.
Oh, I'm not good? gee, thanks for pointing that out, I must have just imagined all those matches I won. You dont even know me, and have never seen me play, where do you get off telling me how good I am?

I swear, a lot of the people on Smash boards are just unbelievably stupid...this is why I cant wait for online play in Brawl

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman
Lol, that's me owned. Oh well, if I ever got the cash together to go a tourney that was near enough to me, I would. Unfortunately, that probably won't happen any time soon thanks to going to University, and having to spend money on things more important than gaming (not an insult, before anyone says it). By the time I have the cash to go to tourneys, I'll have moved on to Brawl by then anyway...

Zink

Smash Champion
Does anyone else realize that AlphaZealot, the MODERATOR, must've closed about nine billion topics about "WAVEDASHING IN TEH BRAWL????11!" since the General Brawl Discussion was open, talking about the EXACT same things everyone is arguing about now?

Or maybe it's just me.
It's just you. you misunderstood him.

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
I'm basing my opinion on the moderator who made this topic.

Moderators are supposed to set an example for us. Yet AZ just insulted (according to him) 98% of everyone.

Really, he's like a Nazi. "All those who are not like me are inferior."
Not really, just calm down yourself.

Moderating in smashboards causes a lot of stress due the number of flames here.
And because that this topic was made.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Well surely, if I can't go to tourneys through no fault of my own, then I don't 'suck' for not going. It's just means I can't go to tourneys. I accept that not going to tourneys means I'm not experienced at fighting higher level competition as those who do. That does not mean I suck

Let me explain. I see myself as average-to-good when it comes to Melee. I don't have many friends who play Melee, so I don't gain much experience that way. Therefore, I know that if I went to a tourney, I'd be slaughtered by a pro. I do use the advanced techniques, just not as much as say, Ken or Mew2King.

The problem is the word "suck". It's being used way too much. Thing is, different people play in different ways, not because they can't use the advanced techniques, but because they'd rather play the game in the way they want to, and if that method of play involves shirking the advanced techniques, then so be it. Tourney pros need to stop bashing casual players. I accept that in the grand scheme of Melee skill, I rank very low due to no tourney experience. However, you don't see me attacking the people who are better than me all the time, do you? I respect them because they're better than me.

And I've changed my mind. If I ever could go to a tourney, I would. It sounds like a blast. Unfortunately, as I said before, that's unlikely to happen due to their being next to no competitive scene in this country.

I apologize if my original post sounded like just another rant from just another scrub. I was just pointing out that people should play the game however they want to, regardless of their skill or whether they go to tourneys or not. Tourney players are highly skilled (even those who don't rank very highly in tourneys) and I have no reason to attack you guys for the way you play. It's just the attitude of some of you that I dislike. A man's entitled to his opinion after all...
But the thing is, when you start becoming experienced, why would you intentionally hold yourself back because that's not how you want to play? If you want to reach your maximum potential, you're going to have to realize that it's stupid NOT to do these things, and no matter how you spin it, refusing to play this game to its full potential makes you a scrub, and eternally stuck at a lower skill level.

I had more to type, but i lost my train of thought, sorry i can't fully complete my point >_>

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
AlphaZealot knows what he is talking about (despite his harsh tone). I have played Melee since early 2002. I started playing competitively in the fall of 2005 (shortly after my join date here at SWF). I learned more in two months than I had learned all three years previously of owning the game. Wavedashing, L-canceling, ledge-hopping, etc. all radically change the way the game is played. The increase in speed alone makes it impossible for those who do not learn these techniques unable to keep up.

Also, in the situation of travelers vs non-travelers, I am sorry, but travelers' opinions matter immensely more than that of non-travelers. Non-travelers try to equalize themselves by saying things like, "Well, you've never played me, so how can you say that you know you would destroy me?" The fact of the matter is that travelers have played such a huge variety of opponents, so their statements have infinitely more credit. I am good enough at this game to where I invariably defeat non-travelers. If I meet a smasher who does not travel or at least attend tournaments, I win every time (if I am playing with a serious character). No exceptions. It reaches the point where even though I have never seen a particular player's play style before, I adapt easily for two reasons. (1) -- I have played so many people that I am used to adapting. (2) -- I have so many more tools under my belt (advanced techniques) that I can easily outdo whatever they throw at me.

Now, I don't mean this in an arrogant. Amongst the traveling smash community, I am not uber amazing, but when it comes to non-travelers, it is an easy victory. AlphaZealot is correct, and everyone ought to hearken unto his words.

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
I remember going to college for the first time, this was 4 years ago. After a few weeks I started hearing stories about the gamers, and soon enough, I found someone who was "Awesome" at smash brothers.

"Yo dude, i hear your awesome at Melee"
"Yeah man, i never lose, im awesome"
"Cool, we should play sometime"
some friend of the kid , "haha, you'll never beat him man"

So, the day comes around, I go down to his dorn, Im totally smashed by the way. I bring my friend down with me, who knows my own skills at smash. They see im drunk, my friends says, "Hey man, i bet you 10 bucks my friend beats you friend" The other friend goes "DURH DURH OK HA, Hes Drunk, durh"

He picks Samus. I laugh. I pick Sheik...5 stock... 2 minutes later, my friend is 10 dollars richer...we leave and get McDonalds.

true story. If you think youre good at smash, like the mod says, you probably suck.

I can totally understand where hes coming from when he says that. I totally think he went over the line with HOW he said it.

I also think most people in this thread are going over the line with him. Playing aginst your 4-5 friends WILL make you better. Practice is practice. If you find a way to beat someone, if they have half a mind, they will find a way to beat you back. Its a matter of how quickly you adapt. Whether you are naturally attuned to being ggod at smash. Whether you brain thinks quickly enough, whether you can respond fast enough, and whether you can memorize well enough.

Being able to wave dash and shffl are simply status symbols. Like in poker, when a player shuffles his chips, you start thinking, "wow he must be good at poker to know how to do that" Well, no .. he just spend 24 hours one day practicing how to shuffel his chips.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
How does claiming you "have a life...yada yada yawn yawn....." mean anything. Who cares, I'm sure there are plenty of people who play smash competitively and have a life. So you have a life, who cares about your life.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
Brawl Melee 64 said:
Oh, I'm not good? gee, thanks for pointing that out, I must have just imagined all those matches I won. You dont even know me, and have never seen me play, where do you get off telling me how good I am?

I swear, a lot of the people on Smash boards are just unbelievably stupid...this is why I cant wait for online play in Brawl
You're in for a rude awakening.

Oh, and AZ, I didn't know that. However, almost everyone reading this topic is completely missing the point and are instead arguing abou whether WD makes you good, etc etc w/e.

Maybe the tourney players have been taking this the wrong way but some of these posts are crazy.

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
Everything you said is true~!!
And yes I am one of those people, who suck who you described.
I have however played over 10,000 games on my memery card.
And am determind to be the best once online mode comes out.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Red Exodus;3083853I'm a Red Exodus [tourneyf@g said:
and I approve this message. No Johns.
Who are you? Why are you so cool? We should play Melee someday and wavedash around and be better than all these scrubs without even trying.

Being able to wave dash and shffl are simply status symbols. Like in poker, when a player shuffles his chips, you start thinking, "wow he must be good at poker to know how to do that" Well, no .. he just spend 24 hours one day practicing how to shuffel his chips.
lol False.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I missed the point the first time, but I realized he was referring to people who actually know the game as opposed to people who learn a few techniques and randomly use them to make themselves look good.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
First: Yes, I agree with the notion that you must fight the best to be the best, I have no qualms with that. Furthermore, I have not once said I was good in the whole prospect of this thread, as a matter of fact? I did say I sucked at the game. My whole argument was against those who thought they were invincible, and this point about Ken proved that.

Even the mightiest statue falls under wear over time.

Second point: I seriously only think it's a decimal man, in all seriousness. :p

Third point: Thank you, then you should just love,love,LOVE me. :laugh:

Fourth point: No argument here, I agree.

Fifth point:dosen't concern me

Sixth point:Mmhmm.

I respect you far more highly when you talk down to Earth instead of taking the @sshole route about things. :laugh:

Answers in the quote.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Quoted for Truth!
Both of you don't make sense. So you say that you don't have enough time or money to get good because of priorities (acceptable) but somehow you should be considered good? <_< No. Skill is not relative to circumstances.

Edit: Using your mind is the most important but you need a certain level of tech skill to compete. You will just be too slow and easy to punish. It is like if you could predict alot of your opponents moves in a martial arts match but he is three times stronger, faster, and has more options to throw at you due to knowing many forms of martial arts (which means he has more tools to outsmart you).

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman
But the thing is, when you start becoming experienced, why would you intentionally hold yourself back because that's not how you want to play? If you want to reach your maximum potential, you're going to have to realize that it's stupid NOT to do these things, and no matter how you spin it, refusing to play this game to its full potential makes you a scrub, and eternally stuck at a lower skill level.

I had more to type, but i lost my train of thought, sorry i can't fully complete my point >_>
I never said I did hold back when playing Melee. I said there were other people who did. I agree, it is stupid. But it's how they want to play, so let them. And if people use items when they play, it's not cos they suck without using them, it's cos they want to.

And if that "don't play to their maximum potential" comment wasn't directed at me, then I apologize...

EDIT: Ah, wait, I've realised it was. When I said I didn't use the advanced techniques as much as pros, I meant to say Wavedash. Sorry about that. I don't use Fox, so SHFFL doesn't apply to me, but I do edge-guard, edge-hog, L-cancel and all the other advanced techs. And I mainly use WDIng to edge-hog, since it's much quicker and easier than jumping off the ledge and fast-falling.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It's funny how the people who didn't read the first post suddenly disappeared. I wonder if AZ banned them for all of that flaming.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Both of you don't make sense. So you say that you don't have enough time or money to get good because of priorities (acceptable) but somehow you should be considered good? <_< No. Skill is not relative to circumstances.
I seriously don't believe that someone needs to go to a tournament to be a good player, you do get experience but most people still go to those tournaments and suck, I wouldn't have the time to go to a tournament and drop everything, plus in my country they have only held one tournament and it sucked because it was about the time the gamecube was being released, no one was an expert and they were just there to win a Gamecube, my point is, you shouldn't generalize people like this, and if he wasn't a mod he would get flamed and have his thread closed.

Walgreens Pharmacist

Smash Apprentice
dude, obviously you posted out of frustration, but being better than the people i play with is the only thing i really care of. Just b/c some pro can 3 stock me, doesn't bother me. My idea of good, and your idea of good are two very different things.

Furthermore, i've never gone to a major tournament, but i have beaten pro players at small tournaments. Does that mean I'm good, no. I'm good enough at the game however for me to be happy with.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
No he wouldn't have. If he said something like 'WD is cheap and you are nubs for WDing' I would have disagreed.

What is posted is a wake up call for pros and casuals alike. I started to realize this the other day, that if you are truly good you will excel without ATs like WDing. As much as I don't want them to go I'd like to pro to the scrubs that we don't win by hax0rs.

dude, obviously you posted out of frustration, but being better than the people i play with is the only thing i really care of. Just b/c some pro can 3 stock me, doesn't bother me. My idea of good, and your idea of good are two very different things.

Furthermore, i've never gone to a major tournament, but i have beaten pro players at small tournaments. Does that mean I'm good, no. I'm good enough at the game however for me to be happy with.
I like this guy.

And I'd like to point out the hideous hypocrisy of the moderator kirbysomethingorother******* who locked my thread earlier.

This thread is doing the same thing, it's a troll, insulting every player here who doesn't know how to exploit that stupid glitch you guys have elevated to the backbone of your strategy in the game.

You said quite specifically that I shouldn't care how anyone else plays, so why does the dip**** who posted this get to keep his sorry little thread up? He should be treated as nothing more than a troll, insulting the majority of smash players who aren't as lame as he is.

X6488

Smash Journeyman
I find it a bit funny that he quoted this:
"Aniki is just a strange exception who entered the competitive community but insists on very rarely wavedashing."

One exception is all it takes for a statement to truly lose merit. I'm sure there are others out there who have never entered a tournament capable of beating "pros".

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
We need a definition of good it seems. lol

Because good is a relative term.

Edit: Aniki knows how to wavedash so that is not some zomg thing. He goes to tournies. He has experience, he knows how to do the techs because he wants to be good. I don't see any contradictions here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom