• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 | CHECK OP FOR EVENT BRACKETS/POOLS | EVO 2012 QUALIFIER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
The way we did it were 80 first seeds, 80 second seeds, 80 third seeds, 160 fourth seeds.
So, out of GIMR and Kunai. Who were 2nd & 3rd Seed? (I assume FoW is 1st and the other 2 being 4th seed)

Compared to other Pools this pool is really hard... Idk, but to me both of them seem to be -at least- Top 160.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Yo Sharky, BlackChris, XDDMaster (and anyone else who's bringing this up), either hit Diem up on his Facebook or on his AIM (iDiembrandonL) for the pool issues. He is in control of the pools and I'm just the middle-man in all of this lol

What's The Point

Smash Master
Wait, how are 2nd round pools going to be made? Top 2 out of 80 pools is 160 people. You need 32 pools to make a 64 man bracket with 2 people getting out of pools. That means you need to make 5 man pools but you have an even number of 1st and 2nd seeds. Will some pools have three 1st seed and two 2nd seeds while others have two 1st and three 2nd?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I personally have a problem with the pools.

Currently it's 80 pools of 5 people each or so. Top 2 advance.

This gives us 80 1 seeds and 80 2 seeds.

After this, they are going to do a second round of pools. We have 160 people going into round 2 of pools, and they want to do 32 pools of 5. Here's the problem though, 32 does not go into 80 evenly. This means approximately half of the round 2 pools will have 3 1st seed players in them while the other half will have only 2 1st seed players. This makes them very imbalanced.

I personally think we should instead do:

Round 1 of pools with 64 pools of 6-7 people each. Advance 4 players from each pool and you have an even 256p bracket seeded properly.

Now even though a 256 bracket sounds daunting, in terms of time, they are less than an hour of difference. Even though we won't have 128 TVs so the first round of the big bracket is done in waves, with the other plan we won't have 80 TVs so that would be done in two waves also.

Basically my plan would possibly have a little lower efficiency in terms of organization, but saves time from not needing to create a round 2 of pools. But the biggest advantage is having 100% accurate seeding, since it all uses powers of 2.

What do you guys think is best?

For the record, I have nothing to do with the current 80 pool system.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
I personally have a problem with the pools.

Currently it's 80 pools of 5 people each or so. Top 2 advance.

This gives us 80 1 seeds and 80 2 seeds.

After this, they are going to do a second round of pools. We have 160 people going into round 2 of pools, and they want to do 32 pools of 5. Here's the problem though, 32 does not go into 80 evenly. This means approximately half of the round 2 pools will have 3 1st seed players in them while the other half will have only 2 1st seed players. This makes them very imbalanced.

I personally think we should instead do:

Round 1 of pools with 64 pools of 6-7 people each. Advance 4 players from each pool and you have an even 256p bracket seeded properly.

Now even though a 256 bracket sounds daunting, in terms of time, they are less than an hour of difference. Even though we won't have 128 TVs so the first round of the big bracket is done in waves, with the other plan we won't have 80 TVs so that would be done in two waves also.

Basically my plan would possibly have a little lower efficiency in terms of organization, but saves time from not needing to create a round 2 of pools. But the biggest advantage is having 100% accurate seeding, since it all uses powers of 2.

What do you guys think is best?

For the record, I have nothing to do with the current 80 pool system.
this is kinda legit

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Yo Sharky, BlackChris, XDDMaster (and anyone else who's bringing this up), either hit Diem up on his Facebook or on his AIM (iDiembrandonL) for the pool issues. He is in control of the pools and I'm just the middle-man in all of this lol
Done. He already answered and said it was an error and will be changed.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
There might be better solutions than mine, but it's more that I think dm's solution is poor since it makes the worst possible round 2 pools. You could do the 256 people into a round 2 of pools into a 32 or 64 bracket I suppose and it might even out to be the same time wise.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
There is no time for a 256 man bracket to finish in one day though. As he said before, even if we ran at MLG efficiently we would have to take out pools altogether.

[collapse=Diem's solution is a lot better in this situation]A denotes 1st seed
B denotes 2nd seed

1 AABBB
2 AABBB
3 AABBB
4 AABBB
5 AABBB
6 AABBB
7 AABBB
8 AABBB
9 AABBB
10 AABBB
11 AABBB
12 AABBB
13 AABBB
14 AABBB
15 AABBB
16 AABBB
17 AAABB
18 AAABB
19 AAABB
20 AAABB
12 AAABB
22 AAABB
23 AAABB
24 AAABB
25 AAABB
26 AAABB
27 AAABB
28 AAABB
29 AAABB
30 AAABB
31 AAABB
32 AAABB[/collapse]

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
lol some first seeds are just gonna get **** on then.

i guess that's what happens when you have more 1st seeds than spots in the bracket though.

lol.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
@Chibo:

Bracket with 256 people is STUPID. It looks ******** (You have to scrooooooooooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooll a lot, and its also A LOT less consistent than pools)

Better do more pool-rounds.

400 -> 256 -> 128 -> 64 [-> 32]

That would work.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
that would work if we had 3 days to do the tourney lol.

you guys do realize that this has to be mostly done in a day right? and...it's brawl. jus sayin.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Actually (just to show you a "dimension")

2 pool rounds with 4 pools a 4 players (Top 2 adv) are quicker than
1 pool round with 4 pools a 8 players (Top 4 adv)

(Assuming the pool creation will be done quickly - which idk if its guaranteed)

The only way to do it quicker would be
1 pool round with 8 pools a 4 players (Top 1 adv)

But I dont think I have to explain why that would be stupid, right?

Therefore: Doing many pool round with low player numbers will be quick, as long as the creation of the pools themeselves is done really quick.

Going into detail:
A pool with 4 players has 6 matches, 4 pools would mean 32 matches. 2 rounds would mean 64 matches.
A pool with 8 players has 28 matches, 4 pools would mean 112 matches. 1 round would still mean 112 matches.

You could now put in number of set-ups (So you know how many matches can be played at the same time), time to create pools, time for brawl sets (~20 minutes). In the end you would know which way you are best.

Only thing that beats pools timewise is, as chibo already presented, bracket. But Bracket has horrible cons, especially the larger they get.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Ugh, I hate Wario.
Even GA ones.

NickRiddle
Micaelis
Sails
RingofFire
Leaf.

Sorry, leaf, I'm going to destroy you.
I have no idea who Sails or RingofFire is...
So... free.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Hypothetical round 2 pools. Just mixed the top 2 listed in each pool. Mostly for an idea of what round 2 will look like skill wise.

Pool 1
DEHF
UltimateRazer
Seagull
Telu
Dueler X

Pool 2
Neo
Denti
Trevonte
Golden-Psyco
Dil

Pool 3
Cable
ZEX
Adam Gibson
Hall
Patches

Pool 4
Zekey
Will
MorKs
Snow Shard
Tin Man

Pool 5
Vex
Reflex
Grimace
Sean
Zorai

Pool 6
Otori
Stingers
Kai
MJG
Speed

Pool 7
San
Jtails
Orion
FILIP
M. Prime

Pool 8
Tyrant
Mew2King
Viviff
Keitaro
Mampam

Pool 9
FOW
Leon
Mekos
Zori
TeeVee

Pool 10
Rich Brown
Bizkit
Shugo
LEFFEN
PikaPika

Pool 11
Nicole
Trela
Redhalberd
PentaSalia
shadow1pj

Pool 12
swordgard
Salem
Arty
SlikVik
DRN

Pool 13
NickRiddle
lain
LOF| Bleach
dapuffster
Darc

Pool 14
OCEAN
Tearbear
Shadow
Sago
fUddO

Pool 15
Ally
Vinnie
Yukhoe
Snakee
Jbandrew

Pool 16
Nientono
Espy
Chu Dat
JaimeHR
Hunger

Pool 17
Poltergust
Atomsk
Micaelis
TKila
FatboySlim

Pool 18
MVD
NinjaLink
Seibrik
Hylian
Pink Fresh

Pool 19
Bill_
Ryo
Rain
GDX
Bassem

Pool 20
kismet
mikeHAZE
Naugs
Player-1
4GOD

Pool 21
dabuz
vVv Zero
GAM3MA
nysyarc
King Funk

Pool 22
Mr-R
ANTi
kingtoon
John12346
Y.b.M.

Pool 23
kakera
Logic
Gnes
Crash
Nakat

Pool 24
HolyNightmare
K Prime
Firefly
Domo
Z

Pool 25
Havok
Nairo
Fino
GimR
Deltacod

Pool 26
Dojo
coney
Illmatic
White
Croi

Pool 27
Brood
_X_
Toronto Joe
vVv Cheese
Xaltis

Pool 28
Bloodcross
ADHD
Sky`
Meekspeedy
Da1AndOnlySonic

Pool 29
Kain
Fatal
Doom
Crifer
DLA

Pool 30
Stroumbert
pwii
iKon
KiD
Karamity

Pool 31
vVv Esam
Zeton
Inui
vVv ChiboSempai
Mr.L

Pool 32
Neath
WarioMaster15
Sync
Kadaj
pidezero_one

Djent

Smash Champion
Something tells me that Tyrant/Mew2King and Ally/Vinnie wouldn't go down in pools, probably not FOW/Leon either (though that one is slightly more plausible).

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Pool 17 FOW
GimR
Izumi
Thiocyanide
KoRoBeNiKi

Lol 3 people from NJ in my pool including me.

Edit: I know of that rule, still loling.

Djent

Smash Champion
They had to swap out the german :toonlinkbrawl: for Izumi because international players aren't supposed to get **** seeds. Also, I don't think the # per region restriction applies to NY/NJ.

Player-1

Smash Legend
An idea would be to add 1 more pool for 81 pools. 81 pools = 162 people in 2nd round pools. 6 man pools top 3 get out = 27 pools. 81 man bracket with 15 byes? Maybe something similar to this, adding an extra pool might fix some stuff out for 2nd round pools.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
DJent.

ask the ddd boards.

4god is really really good.

the ddds are talking like this is going to be his break out tournament on to the national radar.
He's good but he's got stuff to work on still (going off the last time I played him). I don't think he's gonna be doing anything like you're saying lol.

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom