• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

= Apex 2012 Official Melee Videos Thread! =

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Recording went okay today thanks to a small dedicated area of setups. I'd estimate maybe a third of singles bracket matches are recorded. Not close to our goal, but most of them are the important sets if it's any consolation. All of doubles starting from quarters is also recorded.

:phone:

Composeur

Smash Ace
Well, I'm really glad most of the hyped sets were recorded, at least. I wish letting people with recording setups use them were more of a priority for the people organizing these events, though I don't want to ****** about it.

Twix

Smash Cadet
I'm so excited to re-watch all of the videos of me getting bodied. Oh well, it's how you get better! -_-;

Y'all aren't ready for Javi videos. He's a ****ing hero.

Javi vs. PP, set of the year. Yeah, decided in January.
And yeah, this. Javi is seriously such a unique player. He utilized shines in place of jab-resets unlike anyone else, among many other interesting combos and strategies.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I may be alone when I say this, but I typically find Fox a very boring character to watch(perhaps that just because we see him all the time though) however Javi was a blast to watch. I can't wait for his vids.

Dorf1233

Smash Journeyman
It's da claw! Maybe 1 % out of all smashers do it, probably less...

But Colbol and Javi - both being very technical fox players - do it. Maybe we all should give it a try =D
Javi dont use 2 fingers for the joystick, he use the thumb

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
jus watched javi vs dr peepee

Javi's legit and him and mang0 would be a nice agro-set to watch

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Dr. PP was playing like crap during his set against Javi. Not saying that Javi isn't legit, just on any other day there would have been no upset.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
I don't know... I guess he meant TV setup (I hope so for better quality videos)...

Haza recorded with his camera since everyone in Mexico were anxious to know how Javi was doing.

snake-8-7

Smash Rookie
Dr. PP was playing like crap during his set against Javi. Not saying that Javi isn't legit, just on any other day there would have been no upset.
trust me man, PP just couldn't keep up with him, at least for what we saw you have to fight him at the same speed like mango did.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
seriously, johns on johns on johns. PP's only SOMEWHAT legit excuse was how sick he was at genesis2. PP "playing like crap" here is clearly part of his lack of consistency. lol @ downplaying javi's win

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Let's be real here. Javi OUTPLAYED and intimidated PP, and I'm sure someone of integrity like Kevin Nanny would be one of the first to admit that. He might've had his problems, but a lot of those problems were created by Javi's unique playstyle and diligently smart offense.

Javi exposed a lot of Falco's weaknesses and took advantage of the times PP was second guessing himself, which were quite a few.

It's the same reason why Armada 3-0'd Mango or why HBox beat Javi. In a high stakes match against characters who can punish heavily- using a technical character like Fox or Falco, consistency is key and one mistake and that's a stock. The margin of error is simply to apparent to ignore at such a high level.

One thing I liked about Javi is that he uses the tools he had to the utmost for specific matchups. Against Hax he *****d Nair like Cactuar, which is one of Falcon's biggest weaknesses, and against Falco he abused the double Shine and the Shine overall.

It was really refreshing to see a new player of his caliber especially from Mexico. He was definitely the most entertaining to watch in the tournament along with Ripple.

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
i was hanging with Javi for a lot of the tournament. i dont think PeePee was playing like crap haha. right before the match, Javi warmed up with DaShizWiz and it was apparent that he's just reallllyyyy good at the match-up. he didnt give Shiz any time to breathe!

you have to play really smart and be really good at dealing with his pressure, and you have to avoid being gimped because his shines are on point...it's really tough to overcome haha.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
I really hope the uploaders know what they're doing. Deinterlacing Melee with deflicker off is hell. At least it was off on the livestream setup.
Also hope there was a separate recording for the livestream matches, since the stream was dropping frames at times.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
I really hope the uploaders know what they're doing. Deinterlacing Melee with deflicker off is hell. At least it was off on the livestream setup.
Also hope there was a separate recording for the livestream matches, since the stream was dropping frames at times.
What's the deal with deflicker on vs deflicker off? What should I set it to? (Is there a "preferred" or "standard" one?)

dawn001

Smash Ace
Javi does play claw in a way..but the only real difference is he uses two fingers.. not for the joystick but for the buttons ... I know this cause I have had convos with him about how he plays and how he holds the controller. Besides that's how I play too ..javi'$ claw

*fox owns you*

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
What's the deal with deflicker on vs deflicker off? What should I set it to? (Is there a "preferred" or "standard" one?)
Deflicker on applies some sort of vertical low-pass filter (basically slightly reducing the vertical resolution) before interlacing the video.
Without deflicker, every 2nd line on each frame is completely gone, and it's hard to restore this data when deinterlacing. With deflicker, some of the removed data has "leaked" into the neighbour fields.

Visually, deflicker off gives a sharper image, but LOTS of aliasing, and this is a bad tradeoff to begin with IMO. Also, as the name implies, the image will flicker on the TV because the fields are showing completely independent data from different positions of a non-moving object. Deflicker (on) fixes this.

Longer post than I expected =).

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
i was recording TV 17 all day on day 1. Let me know if there are matches you have on there that you want me to upload. This should include some of R1 pool 26 and at least 1 or 2 more of the R1 pools?

I don't know which other pools (R1 or R2) were played on that TV. Juggleguy, do you have that info recorded somewhere?

I don't have any of the bracket matches. I got to the venue late that day and it was already a cluster-****.

I left out a sheet and a pen for ppl to write down tags and what time they played their matches and such, but no one used it, so i'm going to have to go through all of the videos to find **** for you guys if you want any of it :(

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
i was recording TV 17 all day on day 1. Let me know if there are matches you have on there that you want me to upload. This should include some of R1 pool 26 and at least 1 or 2 more of the R1 pools?

I don't know which other pools (R1 or R2) were played on that TV. Juggleguy, do you have that info recorded somewhere?

I don't have any of the bracket matches. I got to the venue late that day and it was already a cluster-****.

I left out a sheet and a pen for ppl to write down tags and what time they played their matches and such, but no one used it, so i'm going to have to go through all of the videos to find **** for you guys if you want any of it :(
I definitely do not have that info written down anywhere.

For anyone wondering, here are some things we had working against us at the venue, starting from the most annoying:

1. No labels (seriously?) associated with several of the TVs, probably around a third of them, until late in the day on Friday
2. Inconsistent order of label numbers on the TVs that did have them; labels were also so tiny that they were hard to read
3. Very little room on top of tables for laptops to be placed next to the TVs, plus unnecessary coats, drinks, and backpacks taking up space
4. Lack of available outlets, and even when available, power strips dangerously dangling off tables or placed in awful locations
5. Lack of a loud PA system, making it impossible to direct players to the proper setup without hunting them down and dragging them to it
6. Poor placement of TVs in terms of screen size; the bigger and more popular TVs were located in harder-to-reach areas for some stupid reason
7. Several TVs (at least 10-15 of them) had no GameCubes to go with them... I seriously can't comprehend how this even happened
8. Too many people crowding around tables, making it nearly impossible to coordinate a team effort regarding the recording staff
9. Lack of cooperation from TOs regarding the location of recorded matches (not their fault, they had to hustle due to the schedule falling behind)
10. Inability to view bracket on a projector or monitor; people had to crowd around the TO desk and constantly ask to scroll up/down/left/right

Not to mention the several people supposed to be recording who didn't show up, or simply disappeared during the day without monitoring their setups at all, making it impossible to identify recorded matches afterwards.

Throw in the 500 people in attendance constantly moving around and preventing communication between players/TOs/staff and you can probably start to see how messy the situation was all weekend.

Not blaming anyone in particular, just stating the facts so people who weren't in attendance can understand how difficult it was. I think the tournament recovered decently, allowing at least some recording to be done on Sunday.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Things were default settings (we borrowed a Melee disc and a memory card), in addition Xsplit handled the deinterlace processing.

Also I'm reordering the apextournament channel after dinner.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Things were default settings (we borrowed a Melee disc and a memory card), in addition Xsplit handled the deinterlace processing.

Also I'm reordering the apextournament channel after dinner.
The deflicker setting is saved on the memory card, so you get whatever was saved there. I think default is on, you had it off.

XSplit doesn't seem to do a very good job at deinterlacing. My videos from Genesis 2 already look bad (on the deinterlacing part, I'm well aware that they are considered "top tier"), but I think it can be improved a little if it happens again.
The aliasing on the livestream was horrible. Don't get me wrong, it's one of the best livestreams I've seen, but this is the one point where it was lacking.

Also I remember someone on the stream bragging about how it's 60fps and whatnot, which it definitely was not. And a few frames were dropped here and there from the 30fps that was "left". Don't know if this was because of XSplit though... Looking closer at the stream might reveal more, but it wouldn't change anything so I probably won't do it.

PB&J

Smash Hero
I want to thank all the people who recorded matches,especially Juggleguy and Chain-Ace. I kept seeing you guys running everywhere recording matches .Take your time uploading,ive just slept gor like 10 hours and still feel tired .Wish there were more setups but it was still impressive of the dedication you guys showed for the melee community.

Ps. Cant wait to see javi vs Kdj and hax vs sfat

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I personally think PP underestimated javi and got shook, a fair loss; he had like the sniffles or something, but nothing john worthy like genesis2, and believe me he wasnt playing "like crap" by any means. So lol at trahh: he placed out of top 5 once (genesis 2) since like pound4, and even then he still got 7th. I don't think he's inconsistent by anyone's standard other than Kevin's.

Top Bottom