• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 - Pools up in OP! - Only at the door for FGC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Stay free scrub. The best way to get good (and the way I got good) is to go to every tournament and always enter. I never even read the rules when I was a scrub, I was just so excited to go to every tournament and try my best. Where is that scrub drive these days?
we are few but we are still here.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Stay free scrub. The best way to get good (and the way I got good) is to go to every tournament and always enter. I never even read the rules when I was a scrub, I was just so excited to go to every tournament and try my best. Where is that scrub drive these days?

I won't get better by playing a minimum of two matches. These rules are stupid.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Then I suggest you get better between now and January, you have plenty of time.

Or you could stay home, we want everyone to come and have fun but if you just going to be salty about having a train ran on you, than it might not be worth it, especially if you wont even enjoy the ride..

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100

Or you could stay home, we want everyone to come and have fun but if you just going to be salty about having a train ran on you, than it might not be worth it, especially if you wont even enjoy the ride..
Yeah, which is why I already said that I'd probably not attend.

I'd also I advise most lower level players not attend this, I think it's quite clear that Apex doesn't care about us.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Too many people these days just try to jockride and swagger jack top players instead of being themselves and getting better and learning things on their own. Its thoroughly upsetting

:phone:
I agree with this. =/

I'd also I advise most lower level players not attend this, I think it's quite clear that Apex doesn't care about us.
I do not think the bolded is true, at all. I think APEX is going to be great this year in my opinion.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Actually, if I had money and a Passport then I'd go to Apex.

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master

I always thoroughly enjoy having a train ran on me~

Apex is going to be fine also, "lower" level players should attend xD They may surprise themselves and do something really awesome and cool~ But doesn't matter to me personally so long as everyone who goes has fun/enjoys themselves. There were a few things I didn't like about Apex last year but they said they're fixing all that and so I'm still going to go~ :)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I always thoroughly enjoy having a train ran on me~
Good to know. Ill talk to justin and see if we can arrange something ;)

@dewda. how do you figure? when it comes to discussing characters i dont know or care about, that might be the case at times. but I think youd be hard pressed to find a sonic player that knows me that says i fit that description.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Apex is going to be fine also, "lower" level players should attend xD They may surprise themselves and do something really awesome and cool~
I agree with this. I'm free as **** and I went to apex 2012 after having been playing brawl for under a year, not practicing much or doing any research, and expecting to get completely slaughtered. I took third seed in my round 1 pool, which isn't great but a lot better than I expected.

I'm pretty much the definition of a low-level player, and Apex 2012 was the time of my life. I encourage other low-level players to attend too.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Froggy - I understand you think we are.not giving low level players the best experience possible but that is not true.

Our goal is to run the beat event possible. With an event of our size round robin is very difficult. We would need close to 120 setups for each game and realistically no tournament can do that. We had 60 at Apex 2010 and under 50 for Apex 2012. We gave away TVs for free...offered discounts and spend more to get the community to help.

The biggest thing we need to change is friendlies. People want that more than anything based on the feed back last year. That cannot happen with round robin if we get the amount we had last year. It is sad but true. Two waves of 6 plus ppl per pool is rough. On top of that, I feel round robin takes a lot out of players and does not help anyone. It is very taxing and requires a setup amount that is not feasible for any to.

Let me ask you this...if I ask for people to bring setups...offer people money and look around everywhere for setups but no one brings any or wants to help who is to blame? It is the people running the tournament. We should not be blamed, as we did all we could, but we are.

I care a lot about this community. I met much future wife here and friends I cherish. I am greatful and humbled enough to keep trying to make our events noticed by more than just swf and aib but by people around the world...what I am trying to do will change a lot of how people perceive us and get us more press than even mlg could.

I do not normally like to get into arguments but don't you dare make such a comment after I have spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours to make this event great. Yea you won't get 5 matches but you get hours of friendlies for the entire weekend plus artist alley plus tons of free **** we have in negotiations.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents

It's unbelievable to think that just because you have a mentality of international tournament = smashfest that all "lower" level or starting level players think the same. You shouldn't be making such a statement based off of that. We are doing our best as a group to please as many as we can, and you're 100% wrong to think we're out to short change anyone, especially those who are just starting out.

To be honest we structure way too much around those who we want to get the most out of the experience without compromising the overall event which is why we will have TVs for casuals going out of our way to get all of these TVs ourselves. This event isn't just for one type of person it's for many and it isn't easy to please every single one, but don't think for a minute that we don't try.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
By the time this tournament comes, I plan to be the best sonic player in the country.

Someone team with me. I play a very solid support game

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero

False, every entrant is important and even if you want to hate on us it is saddening that you wont even attend this event. =/

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I'm a noob, and idk what "bracket pools" are?

someone elaborate?

and if it's what I think it is --> one round of pools, and if you get top x <--- number you get into the bracket??

^if that's right then nvm don't answer me.. I feel stupid as it is...

><

melee.. ^^

LLDL

Smash Hero
Bracket pools is just what it sounds - An actual bracket instead of round robin, for each pool.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
We'll be making an official announcement soon on that so all your questions shall be answered :)

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman

I'm a pretty low level player, but I've been practicing since Apex2012. I missed last APEX, and I regret it!! I missed out on alot of potential experience and alot of fun from what I was watching on stream. If you aren't going to join the bracket, at least come to be a spectator! Everyone who loves the game series of Smash Bros should come to this!! Support the community! We are so small and so few! No need to hate on it!! We don't want it becoming smaller than it is!! Lets grow as a community and come together!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I'm a pretty low level player, but I've been practicing since Apex2012. I missed last APEX, and I regret it!! I missed out on alot of potential experience and alot of fun from what I was watching on stream. If you aren't going to join the bracket, at least come to be a spectator! Everyone who loves the game series of Smash Bros should come to this!! Support the community! We are so small and so few! No need to hate on it!! We don't want it becoming smaller than it is!! Lets grow as a community and come together!
This guy has the right idea.

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman
This guy has the right idea.

Thanks man, and not to mention...I come from one of the hardest regions to even get recognition in! NY/NJ/NE is SO STACKED!! I go to Locals and Regionals and get bodied by pretty much all top level players! Other really good players I can get down to last stock. But I'm progressing and having fun!! And IMO, thats the most important thing to do is have fun!!

Eggm

Smash Hero
When I was struggling to become a player capable of winning a tournament every single saturday I missed a tournament I felt like I fell behind tremendously and all the people I considered myself on an even level with would just **** me at the tournament. When I missed a major I felt that like x3, everyone else would feel like super sayian when they got back.

Just sayin. Always go and always enter if you wanna become one of the best.

Edit: And it wasn't the number of pools matches I played that made the above true. It was just being there in general and playing so many new players and playstyles and learning from people. Tournament matches do help though. There is nothing that can prepare you for a tournament match other than a tournament match, but two is better than none. I also was never at a level that i'd only get to play two (even put in that situation) and I feel it wasn't natural talent but rather drive (I put a ton of hours into tech skill practice in my early years). Not having that mentality also helped.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Also, just watching can make you better. If you are watching somebody in your pool and they do something, ask them about it after the match so you can gain insight on the mental part of Smash (Which is by far the most important). You would be surprised how far a little smarts can take you.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I hope there will be P:M. I wanna show people that the Brawl half of Pikachu is broken too

Browny

Smash Hater
Did he quit? sorry just want to know, cool guy.
Lol first namesearch hit in... a long time for me. I dont recognise your name sorry :| Im guessing you met me at Genesis 2 with the rest of the NM crew? There were so many new people there I couldnt remember em.

You know how it is... you can never really 'quit' smash. I just stopped going to tournaments because there was so much drama and trash-talking stopping it from being fun anymore. Then I moved away for a year. I still play Brawl and melee though from time to time.

That said this tournament always remains a possibility for me. To be perfectly honest the #1 reason why I havent made any serious plans for this, is because of the weather in north-east USA at this time of year. For someone like me, if im going to travel to USA, im going to make a holiday out of it, make the most of the massive airfare to get across the pacific. However all we hear on the news around that time is how passenger liners are grounded for days at a time because of blizzards, which would utterly ruin any holiday plans for me :/

Correct me if Im wrong, but thats what I remember happened in the last few years around new years at JFK etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom