• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 - Pools up in OP! - Only at the door for FGC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asa

Smash Hero
A Canadian(?) player uses Asa Akira as a tag. My guess is they saw Asa, assumed it was him, and added the Akira while they were seeding
My tag is asa XD I've used it at all my tournies, asa Akira was a name change I had on here for a couple months lol

And oldmangrey, I'm both Hawaiian and canadian

:phone:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
No Ayuha is definitely Japanese. Old Man Grey confused the names of Asa and Ayuka I think.

:059:

What's The Point

Smash Master
Will Apex staff allow viewers at home to vote on or suggest pools matches we want to see? For the most part the pools look boring because WF wont be played out, but some WSF matches look pretty interesting and watching the entirety of any one pool sounds pretty boring.
Pools in general are boring. They are the equivalent to round 1 pools from last year. The 1st seeds play an unseeded player, then most play something equivalent to a 3rd/4th seed, then done and up to the seeding gods whether they are a real 1st or not.. Some WSF may not go as "expected" due to the people being bumped up by points I don't see how any of those are interesting. Then the 2nd seeds will be mostly 3rd and lower seed equivalents from last years 2nd round pools. Loser's Quarters could be vaguely interesting since some one is getting eliminated, but most look like it's the guy from winner's stomping the guy from loser's.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
I think it's fine the way it is.

Time constraints are a huge issue like it's been said before. That's probably the biggest issue. This fixes it.

And once again mid-low level players are not going to make it far in the first place, no matter what kind of pools you do. Ths is Apex after all. Why exactly is catering to them a good thing? Don't like it? Get better. That's like the golden rule of tournaments.

And what difference will it make? They'll get like 2-4 less matches in tournament? That can be more than made up for in friendlies with you know, the literally hundreds of good Smashers around them.
As Bones sort of pointed out, you cater to the mid-low level players because otherwise they stop coming, or stop actually bothering to enter the tourney and just pay venue fee, or something. You "cater" to them because you need them there for the tournament to happen in the first place.

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
LOL i know this is extreamly extreamly late but my doubles partner is no longer able to go so is there anyone that would like to team with me for brawl doubles.

W.C.N

Smash Lord
@ bones and habefiet

Evo destroys your logic they grow every year to where last year they had to cap their events and put spectators in different rooms for capacity reasons, $15 to only play 2 matches of you don't win sounds exactly like a high level tournament and that's what this is.

And the logic of get better is not stupid because that's what all the people who are beating you did and they had to work at it just like you should, you cater to people who put in work not people who just complain a lot

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Hey all,

As far as everything is concerned with stream matches. We will be trying to put together the most interesting play-in matches for Day 2. It will be a great show! Day 3 will be hype cause 2 streams for smash ( melee/brawl ) will be used so we will get TONS of good content before we get to the finals.

I see a lot of complaints about last year. I saw it like this. Our issue was people did not bring enough setups to do what we wanted. IF you do the math...RR ( 6 ppl per pool with 3 tvs each ) takes 50 mins BEST CASE SCENARIO and let's say 1.5 hours.

Now add in 330+ for EACH game. To even make this ideally work with ( let's say 64 pools to get top 3 make it out and mind you this both games ) we would need 192 per game ( to run all at the same time ) or 96 per game to run in 2 waves, or 48 per game to run in three ways. SO let's say we do that with 48 with PERFECT speed we take 4-5 hours for ROUND one pools. Then we also do another round of pools that will take 2 ways for about 2-3 hours. But wait. It will take TIME to seed this correctly so add 2 hours ( MIND YOU THIS IS FOR EACH GAME so if we do it all at the same time it will take 2 hours but with the level of play it will be close to 2.5-3 to get it 100%) and we have to take the risk of making a mistake day of and not being able to fix it til later. If we do top 3 we WONT get a perfect bracket but if we do top 3 ( community "standard" ) we get 96 which makes doing a second round of pools POINTLESS cause we should be at 64 right. So we do , let's say top 2 and people complain.

Then you have a 64-96 man bracket and we can churn that out in AT MOST 5-6 hours.

So for ONE GAME we take 8 hours for pools without stopping/resting anything and 5-6 hours for bracket WITH 2-3 hours between to set this all up.

Now let's add in

- Doubles
- Crews

mix in that people will play both and that NO ONE ( even in the setup thread) would bring setups ( I counted 10-15 at most ). It will take 12+ hours to do everything PER DAY. So now people are dead tired, playing in a RR format and then sleeping late which hurts the overall play. Apex is about your best NOT endurance. No one should be forced to play in anything tournament worthy at midnight.

So about crews. People want regional how can that happen in that format? It really cant. Also for everyone saying they want regional they dont. They want EC vs WC but in reality it is Cali vs EC cause no one cares about an entire EC vs WC battle they just want Cali to tap ( for melee , usa vs world for brawl is legit ). So if we do that that is 1-2 hours right there. Doubles, lets say we do not cap it and we hit 128 each game at LEAST , that is 5-6 hours right there and downtime is a number you can say at LEAST 1-2 hours.

Total for just ONE day with ONE game = 8 hours game play + 2-3 hours for making a second round of pools ( don't count making a bracket that can be done in the off hours ) = 10-11 hours with 48 setups. So we would need 96 setups total for the games combined. I spent hundreds on my own systems/tvs and I BARELY hit what I needed. Let's also account for storage, how we move them, AND where will we get them as years go by. Count in Wii/GC and it get's even worst.

Big factor : **** happening and things getting held up.

Now think about all that and remember the ONE thing people wanted above all...FRIENDLIES. You all want friendlies and were very VERY adamant about it. How are you going to get friendlies when all this time SUGGESTS that there will NOT be there.

I understand the concerns and trust me if I Was ABLE TO I would find a way. Point is though, that the newcomers/low level players/etc will STILL have a great time playing and meeting new people via friendlies, walking around, etc. We have worked our backs to the wall to provide a great experience. The format is to promote an event that isn't focused on finishing on time but helping get people as much time to relax as possible and keeping it fresh. I think it is a GREAT IDEA that we set up specific times for people to come and play pools. This way people are not BOUND to wait and hope the pools are done at a specific time. It is MY GOAL to make you all have a good time but you also have to understand what we are doing is to help the community and help people be able to mingle and have fun.

Thank you guys for reading this. Sorry it was very long.

-Alex

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I made arrangement with sponsors to provide equipment for this event. I purchased most, if not ALL the tvs for this event ( approx 80 )

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, will there be headphone setups for the brawl stations like they have for the FGC?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm not sure where we're supposed to register as teams so I'll just say it here.

Me and Vex both registered for Brawl doubles and we plan to team.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
First of all, MELEE pools were not what held up the tournament last year. Not to turn this into Melee vs. barlw, but all of Melee's setups were stolen for the entirety of day 2 just so barlw could finish their pools. Melee was done on DAY 1. You say bracket pools will go by fast, as if that's a good thing.

Low level players complaining about only getting 2 matches for their $15 entry fee is PERFECTLY legitimate. Sure, people can play friendlies and do other stuff after their tournament matches, but for the people that come FOR THE TOURNAMENT MATCHES, they are getting royally ****ed. The whole idea of bracket pools just discourages newer players from entering at all. Why would they waste their money entering when it's only going to buy them two sets, at least one of which is guaranteed to be a curb stomping by a top player? They could just spend $20 for the spectator fee instead of spending $50 to enter and get the same experience minus two tournament sets. Why are we charging $15 per set? That's ridiculous. They might as well MM two people for $15. At least then they would have a chance of actually making money instead of wasting it.

Saying **** like "get better instead of complaining" is ******** because instead of getting better, a lot of new players will just quit. Who can blame them? Why would I want to try to improve at a game with a community that nickels and dimes less skilled players at every corner? New players should be given the best treatment possible because they are the ones filling the pot without any expectation to get a return. The top players are the ones who will enter even if they don't get the most "fun" format for them because they are more interested in competing with other top level players, not getting in the most number of tournament sets to improve and have a new experience.
Bones0 with the real talk.

Edit: Although I agree with Bones0, I understand where the tournament organizers are coming from. Finishing the tournament in a timely fashion is more important than giving less skilled players more matches, I just wish there was a way for both to happen.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Sadly there really isnt with the demands for friendlies/tournament matches there is not really a feasible way with the sheer AMOUNT of people.

What I do not understand is that why people do not just play friendlies which IMO will be a huge thing this year.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I'd like to remind everyone that I will be running the Ganon Gauntlet again this year. Sounds like we'll be set up in the FGC room. I'm not entirely sure which day it will run, but I'm aiming for Friday, or maybe even multiple days depending on how successful it is.

For those who don't remember from last year, the Ganon Gauntlet consists of 7 of the world's top Brawl Ganondorf players from around the world. You can bet $5, $10, or $20 to fight each Ganon player in a series of 1 stock, 3 minute matches. If you defeat every Ganon player, you win either $10, $25, or $50! Signups are on a first-come, first-serve basis when the event starts. If you think your Ganon is good enough to be part of the Gauntlet, send me a PM and I'll see what you've got!

ALSO

I now need a Brawl teammate since Vermanubis dipped on me. If anyone decent still needs a partner or knows anyone who does, PLEASE PM me. (I play MK/Ganon/Sheik/Falco/Pika/G&W in teams)

JTsm

Smash Master
Bones0 with the real talk.

Edit: Although I agree with Bones0, I understand where the tournament organizers are coming from. Finishing the tournament in a timely fashion is more important than giving less skilled players more matches, I just wish there was a way for both to happen.
I think if they had another day, RR pools+Friendlies would happen.

4 days may seem a lot, but it can cover so many things.

@V115: US money could potentially have traces of cocaine. Jus sayin.

W.C.N

Smash Lord
How have people still not put their dubs partners it was due like 3 days ago, everyone not done by now should be left out, I want to see that bracket but he can't make it if people keep entering

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
While "don't like it, get better" is true in theory it's a pretty broad statement

Low-level players who work for a living or have other extenuating circumstances may not have all the time in the world to devote to getting better at a game they're already 5+ years behind in, that's why they go to tournaments to play a lot of matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom