• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arguing with Casual Gamers

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Me said:
I FREAKIN' HATE ARGUING WITH CASUAL GAMERS. I know I just shouldn't, but they're so f***ing ******** it's ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltqgP-Xgceg
On the comments, you will see:

DiscoRByrno said:
Tournaments other than video games are to test your skill. Sure, if I lose many Brawl matches in a row, then I get pissed off and then start? taking it seriously. However, it's just a video game. It's nothing to be proud about, unlike sports and other games that are actually real. Video games are just meant for fun, and IMO it's a waste of a life to try and win video game tournaments. Eventually people will have to get off their butts and start taking responsibility in life.
me said:
My reply was too long to post on youtube comments.

http://pastebin.com/MjzmHbV7

If? it's too long for you read/argue your point, then you lack passion for your "real sports." Not calling you out, but just saying.
DiscoRByrno's reply said:
I read your post off the website, and it's actually quite incorrect. Brawl isn't a "real sport", hence the fact that it's a video game. Just because you're using your fingers to control the characters doesn't make it a sport. A sport is where you dress up in a uniform / clothes that represent your team's state and play with multiple objects to score points, like football or baseball.? Also, you mention professional sports as a waste of time. You are one delusional person!
I replied saying:
"*sigh* Brawl is a horrible example. I don't want to get into Brawl because I hate the game.

And "dressing up?" Golf is undeniably a sport. Do people dress up to represent a team? No. Tennis is a sport as well. They represent themselves, not a team.

And I did not say "real sports" by your definition is a waste of time. I used it as a parody of your example. You don't even know what rhetoric is.

I refuse to waste my time arguing with a ****** any further."

My arguments may not be the best, but casual gamers are just plain ******** or something. I wish I could find a casual gamer who could actually argue the point that "videogames aren't 'real sports'" without having such stupid arguments like this guys'.
That was my original post on another site to get the opinions of others. Now, I have found that there was a reason to this guy's ******** replies:

Him said:
Also, I know what rhetoric means. It's when you ask a question that doesn't need an answer.
So, who else has had great times trying to argue with casual gamers?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Why are you arguing with a casual gamer?

If they enjoy not being super srs business about a form of ENTERTAINMENT, then that's their business.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Let me just make it clear that the following question is legitimate and not rhetorical in any way:

Does Melee really require that much physical prowess? I honestly don't know how much physical skill it takes for this kind of stuff.

If the answer would be "not much," then it's pretty easy to see why people wouldn't consider it a sport.

I'm not making any judgments or anything. I'm kind of trying to refrain from doing that because I haven't really had any experience with competitive gaming firsthand.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It takes a lot of practice, and honestly darts and snooker don't take physical prowess, but they do require great judgment, accuracy, and precision.

Being good at Melee takes a lot of practice, fast thinking, good judgment, and a hell of a lot of precision when it comes to pulling things off.

The fact that it requires such a great amount of skill development would be what would warrant being called a sport for some.

Life

Smash Hero
We on SWF have "fun" by taking SSB seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means.

----------

Sport" comes from the Old French desport meaning "leisure." American English uses the term "sports" to refer to this general type of recreational activity, whereas other regional dialects use the singular "sport". The Persian word for "sport" is based on the root bord, meaning "winning". The Chinese term for "sport," tiyu (体育; 體育) connotes "physical training". The Modern Greek term for sport is Αθλητισμός (athlitismos), directly cognate with the English terms "athlete" and "athleticism."

The oldest definition of sport in English (1300) is of anything humans find amusing or entertaining. Other meanings include gambling and events staged for the purpose of gambling; hunting; and games and diversions, including ones that require exercise.[Roget's defines the noun sport as an "Activity engaged in for relaxation and amusement" with synonyms including diversion and recreation. An example of a more sharply defined meaning is "an athletic activity where one competitor or a team of competitors plays against another competitor or group of competitors [with] a conclusive method of scoring...not determined by a judge."
So is SSB a sport? It does require physical dexterity and stamina (ever try perfect planking all your matches the whole day? Me neither. Perhaps that's merely psychological though, I can't imagine you burning a ton of calories doing it but I could be wrong) but in far different proportions to something like football (the American kind, for any EU/AU/etc people). Other than the rare "immaculate reception" type plays, football requires enough dexterity to catch a pass while both QB and receiver are under pressure. Compare that to Melee. On the other hand, calories.

Hm.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Melee can be done while doing squats. CALORIE ARGUMENT IS THUS RENDERED INEFFECTIVE, CASUAL PLAYERS (not directed at you, Inferiority).

And I was arguing with a casual player in hopes that an argument that wasn't just "i like this game and i want to get good" would convince them since I used points that would relate to them. But, alas... a casual gamer. 'nuff said

Life

Smash Hero
True, but Melee can be played without doing squats, whereas traditional sports can't really be done effectively without running.

I think I'll leave that case at that, however. Devil's advocate and whatnot.

Geist

Smash Master
Bowling and Nascar are a sport. Lots and lots of people consider chess a sport.
Why can't video games be considered a sport?

Probably because of the stigma of video games and stereotypes in general, so arguing your point to someone who honestly doesn't want to hear it won't help much in your favor.
Just avoid conversations like that with a simple 'you do your thing, I'll do mine'.

I just want to point out that mastermoo240 is taking the arguements with people who have varying opinions on the definition of a sport, categorizing them all with a label called 'casual players', and thus creating all sorts of false conceptions. I find it folly to believe that all 'casual players' are ********, annoying, and any other kind of negative description of that nature. You probably don't think all of them are like that, but this certainly gives the feeling of sterotype beginnings.

I agree that arguing with casual players has it's ups and downs (i.e. fun and annoying at the same time), but arguing defintions with people is always hopeless. It becomes a battle of ideals and no one ever truly wins those sorts of battles. I find it is less stressful and easier for both sides if you try to take a sort of accepting stance of another's opinions. I listen to why someone believes a particular idea, and then accept that it might be impossible to change their mind. And then, I take the approach to state my side of things that does not directly target their believes. Often times I can sway people to my side of thinking without causing a lot of stress. If not, I certainly keep hostilities to an all time low with that method and eventually the discussion fizzles out.

For example on the whole idea of the defintion of what a sport it is:
I agree and disagree with videogames being a sport. My first instinct of a sport is something involving physical exercision. Video games certainly do not fit that idea for many examples. However, by looking more closely at all sports from tennis, football, basketball, etc. I find they all share many characteristics of something that video games do. Sports all require devotion, time, effort, strategy, consistency and mental capacity. All of these attributes vary in the amount of each, but they are the exact same requirements that you find in video games. Going further still, you can even apply this to many other smaller games such as cards and chess. When you look at all of these things that share common points with sports; it might be very possible to say that video games can be considered sports.

This is the sort of arguement I would use. I do not directly attack the person's opinion with harsh words or negative tones. Rather I direct the discussion in a sort of venue that questions the very definition that one holds onto. I might not be successful in persuading someone, but at the very least no one can blame me in sound mind of being hurtful.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
It's because the stereotype for video games is that they are violent, simple minded, and they rot your brain. There are alot of video games and they vary so much in content that it's alot easier to just group them all together. It's because of this that most people just dismiss them all together.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
@Clownbot: Not all casuals are idiots, but the ones that will voice their opinions usually are. The reason? There's really no valid reason for NOT considering videogames as a sport in modern society while there are plenty FOR the argument.

That is to say, however, that casual gamers are not all idiots because if you're voicing your opinion against competitive gaming, you've only really shown your own disinterest in a game or videogames in general. A competitive gamer will, as I have done, show that videogames actually do have depth and satisfy all criterion in order to be called a "sport." Therefore, arguing with a casual gamer is a worthless endeavour as the ones who will press the debate will do so in a completely subjective manner.

@Xeylode: You do bring up some good points especially regarding with what blowtoes has said like the chess thing. And yes, a better tone would be better; I do get heated up, but if you actually analyzed everything, it was all fine until I said "********" at the very end.

The most offensive thing, probably, in my pastebin was the "This is an ignorant post." Yet, that's what it really was, and there is no better way to state it. It's not simply a case of misinformation, but he knows the information yet refuses to process it. And I use the word "********" because I realize how dumb he really is before he says that "rhetoric is asking questions that don't need an answer to it."

Sorry if I may have an angry tone there, but I don't, lol.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Video games aren't a sport at all because they are preprogrammed artwork that operate in a specific function. The closest game I'd consider a sport is Chess since the mental exertion is comparable to other sports because within the rules of the game are MANY variables/thought. With video games, the parameters, while growing increasingly lax are still pretty rigid to where a final conclusion can be reached if a formula is met.

It all comes down to enjoyment. If you enjoy competition and enjoy video games, then play them competitively, but rationalizing that they are a sport is silly and duping only yourself.

It's because the stereotype for video games is that they are violent, simple minded, and they rot your brain. There are alot of video games and they vary so much in content that it's alot easier to just group them all together. It's because of this that most people just dismiss them all together.
Probably because of the stigma of video games and stereotypes in general, so arguing your point to someone who honestly doesn't want to hear it won't help much in your favor.
@Clownbot: Not all casuals are idiots, but the ones that will voice their opinions usually are. The reason? There's really no valid reason for NOT considering videogames as a sport in modern society while there are plenty FOR the argument.

Therefore, arguing with a casual gamer is a worthless endeavour as the ones who will press the debate will do so in a completely subjective manner.
I think all of these quotes come a sort of stunning conclusion. Many people jump to ideas on the first nodes of thought that enter their mind without giving more consideration to a situation. In other words, people--outside of this topic--do not think logically enough lol

Video games aren't a sport at all because they are preprogrammed artwork that operate in a specific function. The closest game I'd consider a sport is Chess since the mental exertion is comparable to other sports because within the rules of the game are MANY variables/thought. With video games, the parameters, while growing increasingly lax are still pretty rigid to where a final conclusion can be reached if a formula is met.

It all comes down to enjoyment. If you enjoy competition and enjoy video games, then play them competitively, but rationalizing that they are a sport is silly and duping only yourself.
Forgive me, but I am slightly confused on your statement. I am getting this: The example with chess is worthy of the title 'sport' because it involves enough factors to change game play in a large number of ways. On the other hand, video games shouldn't be called a 'sport' because they lack enough variables to have numerous ways of gameplay. Is this what you meant?

Anyway, I give up on a lot of discussions because humans never change their opinions. It's just fun to state your own side of things and ponder other people's believes on affairs. Plus, it gives me something to do with my time instead of writing an english paper on the very concept I have just outlined in this paragraph :laugh:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
@Clownbot: Not all casuals are idiots, but the ones that will voice their opinions usually are.

bovine said:
Not all casuals are idiots, but the ones that will voice their opinions usually are.The reason? There's really no valid reason for NOT considering videogames as a sport in modern society while there are plenty FOR the argument.
Most people wouldn't lump together poker, chess, or Nascar as being run-of-the-mill sports. Usually when you ask your friends if they would like to play sports, I doubt that the first idea that comes to mind is playing videogames or any of the aforementioned activities. There is a difference between wanting the mass populace to consider videogaming a sport, having the mass populace accept that it is a sport, and believing that videogames are a sport.

bo said:
That is to say, however, that casual gamers are not all idiots because if you're voicing your opinion against competitive gaming, you've only really shown your own disinterest in a game or videogames in general.
Not necessarily. Casual gamers enjoy playing games and have the ability to play a wider range of games than competitive gamers. Most competitive gamers dedicate a lot of time into playing a few games and mastering the technical skill-sets / details in competitive games in order to win against other players. Casual gamers might just enjoy running through Classical Mode in Brawl and Subspace Emissary. After getting all the characters, they might just try out a new game instead of bothering to really master any single character in-depth. Therefore they can play a wider range of games due to the fact that games in general interest them. Also, there are many non-competitive games that many competitive gamers may not consider.

Finally, "interest" is a relative term that takes on different meaning with different individuals. A high school student who tells his friends, "I am interested in Chemistry" is different from a professional organic synthesist who tells his colleagues, "I am interested in Chemistry." To a competitive gamer, it might appear as if a casual gamer is not very interested due to the fact that they don't explore the underlying mechanics of the game. To a casual gamer, it might appear as if a competitive gamer is too interested in a game due to the fact that they explore all the underlying mechanics to a given game. It's important to consider both sides as being biased when it comes down to assessment as both stress different facets of videogames when it comes down to game-play.

b said:
A competitive gamer will, as I have done, show that videogames actually do have depth and satisfy all criterion in order to be called a "sport." Therefore, arguing with a casual gamer is a worthless endeavour as the ones who will press the debate will do so in a completely subjective manner.
You certainly posted a long-detailed explanation on another website. When I have time I'll read over your comments and reflect my own opinions, but it would be more convenient if you would repost them here. I'll touch upon the subjectivity argument real quick before I read the rest in detail later on. Keep in mind that I haven't finished reading your post in pastebin. But I found it relevant to the underlined quotation above.

b said:
On the contrary, videogames are MADE to be competitive, whether against another person or the game itself.
The conclusion you arrive at is that videogames are supposed to be competitive in nature. Yet you don't give examples of design analysis that lend credence to your point. Take for example Donkey Kong or Super Mario 64. I would state that these games weren't MADE to be competitive in nature, but rather exploration/journey games that are fun to play. Granted, there are competitive mini-puzzle elements in order to grab certain bananas / stars. But I wouldn't state that the main purpose of the game is to be competitive. After all, you can still clear the easy puzzles/activities in order unlock all the secret areas and defeat K. Rool / Bowser.

Now, if we're talking about I Want To Be The Guy, then I would agree with you. That game was designed to be competitive, no doubt about it.

But keep in mind, this assessment is subjective. Someone who has never picked up a controller in their life might think that Donkey Kong and Super Mario were games intended to repeatedly kill them. No matter how much we try to rationalize the assessment, a subjective element will always exist until we can find developer notes that describe the true function and purpose of such games.

b said:
What makes a "real sport" different from an e-sport? Does a "real sport" require skill? Because I'm sure Melee (screw Brawl) requires just as much skill to be successful as compared to "real sports." It may not require as much physical capabilities as a "real sport," but it requires skill nonetheless.
The fundamental problem here is that you're using a very generic meaning of the word "skill." Hey, when I work my job I use a given "skill-set." Does that mean that my job can be considered a sport? After all, it requires skills to make sure that autoclave machine doesn't turn the room into a sauna or that random polymerase that I added to the murian mammalian epithelial cell was added in the microfuge tube correctly so that I can get a high-quality restriction fragment analysis result when I finish running my agarose gel. Many things require "skill" because there are many different platitudes, latitudes, and attitudes that the term can take on due to its encompassing nature. You tried to refine your definition of "skill" in another post, yet it still falls prey to having vague connotation:

b said:
In Melee, the ability to SHFFL, tech, DI and everything is a physical skill. If it pertains to the body in any way, it is physical.
This definition is considerably dubious. If it pertains to the body in any way? What doesn't pertain to the body in any way? Sleeping pertains to the body. As does eating, standing, talking, and breathing. Using this as a "selective" criteria, it appears as if EVERYTHING could be considered "physical," making it an inadequate sub-set definition to your originally vague notion of "skill." The only way to possibly create a detailed sub-set for a vague definition is to make the the sub-category even vaguer than the encapsulating parent category. Which I apologize, but is what you have fundamentally done in order to fulfill a semantic requirement for your own justification in this example. Keep in mind that there are minor contradictions throughout your post (or maybe just one), such as your introduction statement in comparison to your previous statement I just reviewed.

b said:
E-sports in contemporary times have risen as an acknowledged sport, albeit not necessarily physical.
Moving on:

b said:
If anything, the reason that e-sports do not require a set physical proficiency make it better in at least some aspect, does it not?
I am incredulous to your aesthetic taste in placing this in the beginning of your post, much less inside your response in the first place. The primary question is whether or not such a term as "e-sports" is validated, much less the consideration of whether or not "e-sports" can be viewed as being superior to the "traditional" view of sports.

I'm not going to attempt to draw the limitations for "competitive videogaming." As the term itself has not been defined in your original pastebin commentary. The meaning you are trying to get at is difficult to decipher, after all, "competitive" could translate to physically attending tournaments and receiving results, delving into the meta game, or simply winning online matches within the vicinity of your own home. Perhaps a mixed bag of the three, all three, or none of the three.

As far as sports go, there are many tiers for football, basketball, and tennis that one can fit into and play with people of similar skill level. In tennis there is an ATP ranking and tournaments are arranged for people who are ranked in similar categories, so that everyone can play challenging matches. In basketball and football, there is a Junior Varsity and Varsity team. There are also recreational sites where casual players can have a good time and compete with one another. Not necessarily everyone has to be tall in basketball. Tyrone Bogues was 5'3 and had a 14-season career with the NBA. Bogues blocked approximately 39 shots during his career.

b said:
And Melee is obviously of a competitive nature; you're competing against other people, and even tournaments exist for Melee. Therefore, SSBM is a sport.
Preceding this post was the "skill" and "physical" discussion that I touched upon before. "Competition" is also a weak selection factor to determine gauging whether or not a given subject matter can be considered a "sport." Life itself is rife with competition in regards to competing for getting accepted into desirable colleges, getting better grades than the rest of the class, and trying to make yourself a more attractive mate to a particular girl who may be at a party. There are jobs and institutions to award competition among students and workers who manage to use their time efficiently and productively. Yet this criteria isn't sufficient enough to be considered a "sport." Even though according to your terminology, "studying" could be considered a "sport" because it involves "physical" interaction (use eyes to read and hands to turn pages) and requires "skill" (must be able to put together information quickly and know how to research difficult information to obtain an answer).

At the end of your post, you insist that only particular games can be considered a "sport." It seems that such a decision would be arbitrary given the fact that the self-defined criteria you deemed to be "skill" "physicality" and "competition" are subjectively obscure and the only reference marker we have is your insistence on Melee being a desirable standard and your rejection of Brawl as possible consideration. It is ironic that Brawl fulfills all the rudimentary criteria that you previously mentioned in your text and should therefore be considered, along with Melee, to be considered under your terms to be a "sport." Then again perhaps I am looking too much into your response. After all, it could have just been rhetoric.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I think all of these quotes come a sort of stunning conclusion. Many people jump to ideas on the first nodes of thought that enter their mind without giving more consideration to a situation. In other words, people--outside of this topic--do not think logically enough lol
I think you misunderstanded me, I was just saying that is the basic sterotype, not that all people see it that way. I was just pointing out that sometimes people veiw video games as a waste of time or are generally bad for you, and they do so because it's so easy to do so. With all the violent games out there, some parents think that games are hard to understand (even with the ESRB rating system) and jump to the conclusion that all games are bad.

Again I'm not saying that all parents are this way, I think the majority would be the opposite. I'm just saying there are people out there who think this way.

what do you guys think about games like Dance Dance Revolution and ITG?
I suck at DDR, so I avoid playing it :laugh: Never heard of ITG :confused:

I think you misunderstanded me, I was just saying that is the basic sterotype, not that all people see it that way. I was just pointing out that sometimes people veiw video games as a waste of time or are generally bad for you, and they do so because it's so easy to do so. With all the violent games out there, some parents think that games are hard to understand (even with the ESRB rating system) and jump to the conclusion that all games are bad.

Again I'm not saying that all parents are this way, I think the majority would be the opposite. I'm just saying there are people out there who think this way.
My statement still holds true. People who believe in sterotypes fail to think more on the subject. If people considered the facts more, they would likely conclude that videogames are similar to reading a book, watching tv, playing kickball, etc.

They all are used to pass the time, have fun, and teach a few skills on the way. Reading a book increases vocabulary or perhaps a new way of thinking on things. Playing kickball improves one's physical ability. Video games have been documented to improve coordination, spartial skills, and depending upon the game, increase vocabulary or have a plot that is just as entertaining as any book.

Either way you put it, many people still fail to put enough thought and consideration into any topic they are presented with. Going off of this, I also feel many people lack the open-mindedness to get anything done is this world today. But, that is another story.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
My statement still holds true. People who believe in stereotypes fail to think more on the subject.
I think your assertive generalization on people who believe in stereotypes needs some revision. Stereotypes exist because they are more or less true for a given majority of a given population. Take for instance the stereotype that Asians are good test-takers or are conscientious about their grades. The following is a 2005 SAT Division Chart By Race. The results reveal that Asians scored the highest on their SATs compared to other races. It is important to draw a distinction between individuals who rely on a stereotype to characterize a given race, individuals who rely on a stereotype to characterize other individuals of that race, and individuals who arrive at a stereotype by empirical evidence. Just as you might arrive at your beliefs through empirical research, the same may be true for individuals who conclusively arrive at what has been negatively connoted as "stereotypes" in this day and age. Not everyone who agrees with a stereotype is a bigot... and vice versa... not all bigots are individuals who are in consensus with stereotypes.

X said:
Either way you put it, many people still fail to put enough thought and consideration into any topic they are presented with. Going off of this, I also feel many people lack the open-mindedness to get anything done is this world today. But, that is another story.
You do know that if you're too open-minded, you're equally likely to get nothing done. Being agreeable with all opinions just means that you waste time listening to all opinions. As you stated before, you feel that certain opinions lack "thought" and "consideration" therefore making them less viable then other posts. Apparently you don't believe in people being completely "open-minded" about everything, as you've adjudicated selection criteria to rank and evaluate given topics that you encounter on a day-to-day basis. It is therefore questionable how "Xeylode Open-Mindedness" would translate to any other individual in any given circumstance.

I think your assertive generalization on people who believe in stereotypes needs some revision. Stereotypes exist because they are more or less true for a given majority of a given population. Take for instance the stereotype that Asians are good test-takers or are conscientious about their grades. The following is a 2005 SAT Division Chart By Race. The results reveal that Asians scored the highest on their SATs compared to other races. It is important to draw a distinction between individuals who rely on a stereotype to characterize a given race, individuals who rely on a stereotype to characterize other individuals of that race, and individuals who arrive at a stereotype by empirical evidence. Just as you might arrive at your beliefs through empirical research, the same may be true for individuals who conclusively arrive at what has been negatively connoted as "stereotypes" in this day and age. Not everyone who agrees with a stereotype is a bigot... and vice versa... not all bigots are individuals who are in consensus with stereotypes.

You do know that if you're too open-minded, you're equally likely to get nothing done. Being agreeable with all opinions just means that you waste time listening to all opinions. As you stated before, you feel that certain opinions lack "thought" and "consideration" therefore making them less viable then other posts. Apparently you don't believe in people being completely "open-minded" about everything, as you've adjudicated selection criteria to rank and evaluate given topics that you encounter on a day-to-day basis. It is therefore questionable how "Xeylode Open-Mindedness" would translate to any other individual in any given circumstance.
2nd part first because I agree with it totally. Yes, I am making a generalization on people needing to be more open-minded. This is a trait that I feel people should have and often my experiences reflect such a belief. I find more examples of inflexible attitudes than I do flexible ones. Also, I do agree with being too open-minded is a bad thing. My ideaology is a good mix is in most cases the best trait. There will always be the exceptions where being one extreme over another is preferable. Now, onto the first part.

When I mentioned sterotype, did you assume that I meant both good and bad sterotypes? The example I worked off of was a negative one, so I was wondering if that was what you had in mind. Your paragraph seems to imply I have a negative attitude over people with sterotypes in general. That was not what I am trying to achieve.

I was trying to emphasize the point that when given a particular ideology, belief, or attitude, many of our first thoughts proceed to reflect only a portion of the 'thought' we are presented with. Or, we think and act only upon what we see on the surface.

Taking a look at the source you cited, the first glance obviously provides us with the opinion that asian americans are generally more adapt at academics, or some similar statement. This supports my belief that we act on the first impression that we have. Now, the part I feel people lack is the questioning attitude towards the first impressions that they have. What I question when I see this source is how accurately does this represent the asian american population as a whole? This source cites one particular year and no information is given on how many of people of each ethnicity is represented. For all we know, that particular year could have had only 10,000 asian american students take the test out of a total population of 100,000. 90,000 might not have taken it. If 10% were represented only, then it's difficult to believe the statement that asian americans yield better test results. Since I started giving more thought into the idea, the rational behind the sterotype begins to fall apart.

Taking a 2nd look on your thoughts and reactions before blurting out the first thing that comes to mind is the sort of thing I feel is what many people lack. Oh, and before I finish with things, this very summarizing statement I have just stated and the ideology behind it supports the fact that I am a hypocrite. I created a sterotype about people who believe in sterotypes. :laugh: But, when are we never are never hypocrites in life? >_> Also, look at how the conversation has proceeded. We have gone from defining what sports are to the philosophy of human nature. Why does it seem everything ends up at the philosophy of human nature?

Laem

Smash Champion
arguing with casuals is lolz
i have a friend who frequents 4chan and now refers to me as the tourney***, with nice add ons such as:
"Law school eh? That's quite a top tier education :embarrass:"
always good times with that guy xD

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
This is serious stuff LT. Get with the new era. Football and basketball are things of the past!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Lol at that casual

You might as well not call Chess a sport either then, even though there are tournaments and everything for it and is acknowledged a sport by many people

Namaste

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, you think Brett Favre goes up to guys tossing the ball around to tell them how they're all scrubs?

Now remember that for "pro video game players", they're almost never physically intimidating, and that is where all respect is lost

Geist

Smash Master
Just saying. I'm not debating; arguing would just end up taking the subject of what your definition of 'sport' is.
Kind of like the way South Korea seriously considers Starcraft a sport.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
For those of you with short replies: I'll just say that just because this topic isn't in the debate area doesn't mean it's not worth debating (besides, I lack access to there >_>). And this site is a forum dedicated to competitive Smash. It's obviously more than just a "fun hobby" to a lot of us. It's not that I don't read your arguments or don't care about them but you obviously put less thought into saying things than we have.

Dang... you guys wrote a lot. I'll try to reply to what I can. First, what was directed at me:

Most people wouldn't lump together poker, chess, or Nascar as being run-of-the-mill sports. Usually when you ask your friends if they would like to play sports, I doubt that the first idea that comes to mind is playing videogames or any of the aforementioned activities. There is a difference between wanting the mass populace to consider videogaming a sport, having the mass populace accept that it is a sport, and believing that videogames are a sport.
You kinda answered your own point here. You said "most people wouldn't lump together poker, chess, or Nascar as being run-of-the-mill sports." That means that, regardless of whether or not they are "run-of-the-mill," they are sports nonetheless.

The only reason I mentioned "modern society" is because the gaming industry is gaining popularity, and the presence of competitive gaming has increased over the past few years as opposed to, say, pre-00's. It has nothing to do with the beliefs of the whole entire world, casuals included, but the significance that gaming has had. Namely with StarCraft, which, imo, has set the greatest precedent for gaming as a sport.

Acrostic said:
Not necessarily. Casual gamers enjoy playing games and have the ability to play a wider range of games than competitive gamers. Most competitive gamers dedicate a lot of time into playing a few games and mastering the technical skill-sets / details in competitive games in order to win against other players. Casual gamers might just enjoy running through Classical Mode in Brawl and Subspace Emissary. After getting all the characters, they might just try out a new game instead of bothering to really master any single character in-depth. Therefore they can play a wider range of games due to the fact that games in general interest them. Also, there are many non-competitive games that many competitive gamers may not consider.
I can't say things exactly as I want the first time, man. Anyways, if you don't like the competitive aspect of the game, you obviously care LESS about the game. This is completely subjective. However, you care less only compared to the community of competitive gamers. The Smash community itself is pretty big, and the StarCraft community is humongous.

And there is nothing good about being a jack-of-all-trades. If you are a jack-of-all-trades, you are a master of none. If you're content with being second-best (actually, you'll never even get close to second-best; you MIGHT make it into the "decent" level if you prefer being a jack-of-all-trades), then be my guest. However, I prefer to aim higher.

I'll acknowledge that people will settle for that, but I don't acknowledge people who won't acknowledge my opinions (that are shared by a lot of people), saying games can't be competitive and etc.

Acrostic said:
Finally, "interest" is a relative term that takes on different meaning with different individuals. A high school student who tells his friends, "I am interested in Chemistry" is different from a professional organic synthesist who tells his colleagues, "I am interested in Chemistry." To a competitive gamer, it might appear as if a casual gamer is not very interested due to the fact that they don't explore the underlying mechanics of the game. To a casual gamer, it might appear as if a competitive gamer is too interested in a game due to the fact that they explore all the underlying mechanics to a given game. It's important to consider both sides as being biased when it comes down to assessment as both stress different facets of videogames when it comes down to game-play.
"Interest" is not a relative term. It's vague. There's a difference. Vagueness is why some polls used to survey the opinions of the American public were semi-ineffective as someone who, say, dedicated their life to a cause would have the same weight as someone who kinda believes in the cause. And interest is innately relative ONLY RELATED TO OTHER PEOPLE. There is no way a non-quantifiable subject can be definite in its value. Saying "I am interested in Chemistry" basically just means you're more interested it in other subjects or compared to how much interest you have had in other subjects prior. If you're going to argue logistics like that, so will I. However, this is fairly irrelevant to the argument.

"Too interested?" You make it sound like that will roll over and make it so that the competitive player no longer has interest. Both sides may be biased, but the competitive side has more knowledge about the game in order to make a better judgment. Will you really argue that a casual player who does not care for spacing, consistent techskill, and priority/hitbox/framedata will understand and appreciate Melee? There is no way they will.

Also, I won't quote you on another section because all I'll say is that whatever was discussed on the other site didn't get much real debate.

Acrostic said:
The conclusion you arrive at is that videogames are supposed to be competitive in nature. Yet you don't give examples of design analysis that lend credence to your point.

-insert examples-
There is no way a game can not be competitive. Name one game that is not competitive that's fun. Every game that exists is competitive. If it wasn't/isn't competitive, it's a failure. In Super Mario 64, you're competing against all the enemies that are in the game; you're competing against the system that's trying to make you lose health while you're simultaneously trying to collect the stars. The end stretch is a BOSS that you have to BEAT by fighting. You fight these guys all the time. If games weren't competitive, they wouldn't be fun. Most of the fun is derived from seeing yourself beat someone/the game. If not, it's seeing how you measure against other people/the game.

Acrostic said:
But keep in mind, this assessment is subjective. Someone who has never picked up a controller in their life might think that Donkey Kong and Super Mario were games intended to repeatedly kill them. No matter how much we try to rationalize the assessment, a subjective element will always exist until we can find developer notes that describe the true function and purpose of such games.
I don't know what Donkey Kong you're referring to; it could be the oldest one where Mario tries to reach Peach or the semi-recent ones, so I'll avoid answering unless you can clarify. But for SM64, if I told someone that the end of the game involved beating Bowser (they should know at least when the game ends), given that they devoted all their time to it, they will realize that the point of the game is the collect all the stars and beat the bosses because they can see they are making progress. They will recognize that the things killing them are obstacles and that they must beat them in order to reach a goal. Your argument is like saying someone who's just finished school things that everyone's out to screw up their life and that there is no future purpose.

Acrostic said:
The fundamental problem here is that you're using a very generic meaning of the word "skill." Hey, when I work my job I use a given "skill-set." Does that mean that my job can be considered a sport?
-examples-
First off, just for future reference, stop being so grandiloquent. I understand what you're saying, but if you use words that pertain to a specific field of work, you kinda mess up your argument if the person reading doesn't know what you're talking about. Nobody is omniscient. That said, jobs do require skill. You go to school to learn those skills. The job does satisfy the criteria of a sport in that you require skill. Professional athletes participate in sports as their job. So yes, your job can be a sport. LOL. It depends on the job.

Why? Your job of a scientist does not satisfy the next criteria. This ties into your next paragraph which I won't quote because it's on how I defined "physical." You selective chose a specific part to analyze. If you noticed the definition...:
Definition of "athletic" said:
of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina: athletic sports; athletic training.
As you can see, jobs do not require strength, agility, or stamina and are not assessed by such. Gaming requires agility and mental stamina (not to say that jobs don't require mental stamina). For, say Melee, agility, efficiency, and consistency in your actions are what your assessed on as well your ability to comprehend what goes in the game. Now, as we have previously defined chess and poker as a sport, we don't even need to satisfy this criteria to be a sport.

So, this does mean your job could be a sport no matter what it is. When you think about it, it shares a lot of the same characteristics of a sport. But one thing to remember about most competitive gaming (and all sports) is that, at the beginning, you start from nothing. You are on even grounds and each game (sport or videogame) is objective in defining its winner. However, for your job, it is very likely to see a competent worker get overlooked by a consumer because there is someone more recognized and prestigious to get the work done by. That's the only thing (so far) that I can see that separates jobs and sports. That is not to say that the two can not overlap. But that's not also not to say that they always do.

Okay, I came back here half-way through finishing my reply, and I thought of more stuff to say. Beyond the definitions that dictionary.com has, other things define a sport. I'll just list a couple of things: 1) Rules players must follow, 2) A completely objective end result to define a winner, 2a) In addition to an objective end result, the desired end result is the same (to all the opponent's stocks first, to score the most points, etc.). I'm sure there's more, but that's it for now.

Acrostic said:
I am incredulous
LOL GRANDILOQUENCE. This is basically saying you're not credible. That means all your arguments are worthless. This (coincidentally) ruins your credibility for the argument. However, I will pass this and continue responding.

Acrostic said:
I am incredulous to your aesthetic taste in placing this in the beginning of your post, much less inside your response in the first place. The primary question is whether or not such a term as "e-sports" is validated, much less the consideration of whether or not "e-sports" can be viewed as being superior to the "traditional" view of sports.
Better in some aspect. Stop selecting certain parts and ignoring the rest.

Acrostic said:
I'm not going to attempt to draw the limitations for "competitive videogaming." As the term itself has not been defined in your original pastebin commentary. The meaning you are trying to get at is difficult to decipher, after all, "competitive" could translate to physically attending tournaments and receiving results, delving into the meta game, or simply winning online matches within the vicinity of your own home. Perhaps a mixed bag of the three, all three, or none of the three.
If you play for the sake of competing and not just having fun (same with the argument of a job and a sport; the can but do not always overlap), then you are participating in competitive gaming. I defined it for you.

Acrostic said:
As far as sports go, there are many tiers for football, basketball, and tennis that one can fit into and play with people of similar skill level. In tennis there is an ATP ranking and tournaments are arranged for people who are ranked in similar categories, so that everyone can play challenging matches. In basketball and football, there is a Junior Varsity and Varsity team. There are also recreational sites where casual players can have a good time and compete with one another. Not necessarily everyone has to be tall in basketball. Tyrone Bogues was 5'3 and had a 14-season career with the NBA. Bogues blocked approximately 39 shots during his career.
Once again, STOP TAKING PARTS THAT YOU WANT.
Me said:
In basketball, mostly only the tallest are able to compete.
MOSTLY. Are you saying that everyone's around 5 feet tall? No; the majority are tall. And are you saying that Tyrone Bogues would have had a harder time blocking shots if he was taller? No; he was an exception. People have to work harder to make up for their innate disadvantages. Perhaps Tyrone Bogues was born with great genes for building leg muscle. Then that was a physical advantage he was born with.

No. Grandiloquence once again. Preceding this post was Xeylode's about other stuff. Know what you're saying, man.

Acrostic said:
- crap argument -

Even though according to your terminology, "studying" could be considered a "sport" because it involves "physical" interaction (use eyes to read and hands to turn pages) and requires "skill" (must be able to put together information quickly and know how to research difficult information to obtain an answer).
Stop selecting certain parts. I'm getting tired of it, even if you haven't gotten this feedback yet to revise your responses. If you look at my pastebin, you'll notice that the "Therefore, Melee is a sport" is at the end of a sentence of a paragraph. IT'S SUMMING UP THE IDEAS OF THE PARAGRAPH, NOT THE SENTENCE THAT WAS DIRECTLY BEFORE IT. Do you want me to say "Therefore, Melee satisfies this criteria" after each other sentence? That's poor writing.

Regarding studying, you don't study for the sake of studying. Studying is like practicing techskill in order to play well; you study in order to do well in class. Practicing techskill is not a sport. Therefore, studying is not a sport. Doing drills for football or basketball is not the actual sport; they are training exercises for the sport.

Acrostic said:
At the end of your post, you insist that only particular games can be considered a "sport." It seems that such a decision would be arbitrary given the fact that the self-defined criteria you deemed to be "skill" "physicality" and "competition" are subjectively obscure and the only reference marker we have is your insistence on Melee being a desirable standard and your rejection of Brawl as possible consideration. It is ironic that Brawl fulfills all the rudimentary criteria that you previously mentioned in your text and should therefore be considered, along with Melee, to be considered under your terms to be a "sport." Then again perhaps I am looking too much into your response. After all, it could have just been rhetoric.
I bolded a spelling error, lol.

Anyways, I've defined "sports" in a previous section of my post so I will ask you revise your statements after reading. And I never said Brawl wasn't an "e-sport." I just personally hate the game. Well, I don't necessarily hate it, but I just prefer Melee over it, and it feels different from Melee so I don't like it. I've never said that I do not acknowledge it as a competitive game.

AND DO PEOPLE NOT KNOW WHAT RHETORIC IS? Of course I used rhetoric in my post; if I didn't, it would be a weak argument. If you're trolling, your credibility goes down here.

Oh yeah, and the use of an image like you used (without any real purpose towards your argument) isn't that great if you want to be taken seriously.

EDIT: And, personally, I'm writing a lot because as the OP, I can't just leave and expect people to answer things for me. Plus, answering things and debating a belief (or a delusion if you guys want to be cynical) as I think is right is good. At least I'll get somewhere whether it's to persuade you or gain insight to the other side.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Man the only reason I didn't stop coming here in 2009 was because of nice people I met. I didn't care about the game one bit, but after just hanging around here you sort of know how Brawl/Melee works.

Basically imho idk

Top Bottom