• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arguing with Casual Gamers

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Yep. But that doesn't mean that the word itself is derogatory. Megatron is just being condescending, more or less like the opening poster.
I've only pointed out obvious things. The guy on YT was literally a ****** who didn't know what "rhetoric" actually was (coincidentally, your previous post shows that you don't, either). Related to that, you didn't know a lot of the words you were using. You said yourself that "[you are] incredulous that..." meaning none of your words have any value or merit to them.

That aside, attack my previous long post if you think you still have any comebacks. If not, I have won the debate against you for I have proved you as more wrong than I.

Also, to be completely frank, I actually don't hate Brawl at all. I just hate how it feels especially after playing Melee because anyone can feel the difference. I also hate how Brawl is the "prettier and newer game" so everyone flocks to it instead of Melee (MLG included :mad:)

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I've only pointed out obvious things. The guy on YT was literally a ****** who didn't know what "rhetoric" actually was (coincidentally, your previous post shows that you don't, either). Related to that, you didn't know a lot of the words you were using. You said yourself that "[you are] incredulous that..." meaning none of your words have any value or merit to them.

That aside, attack my previous long post if you think you still have any comebacks. If not, I have won the debate against you for I have proved you as more wrong than I.
I used the proper context with the words I used in my post. I was hesitant to tell you that you were wrong, because I doubt that you would believe me. At the moment, I don't really feel compelled to explain how "rhetoric" and "incredulous" can contextually exist in a sentence. To be honest, I took your post to heart and checked the proper use of each word online, affirming that I used both words properly. The fact that you are willing to cruelly criticize someone else on something which you are absolutely mistaken makes me adverse towards continuing a conversation for the time being.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Brawl is completely dominated by one character.

In addition to that, one of the most effective strategies in brawl is to camp/time people out.

That is complete pants in my opinion.(Ok enough about brawl, there will be trouble)

I'm all for changing games a little to make them better, but I really hate it when games have things taken out of them that were great.

I didn't mean to offend anyone by calling them casual BTW, it's more a mind set than anything.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Brawl is completely dominated by one character.
Any competitive game is the same way. People play to win. Third Strike, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, Melee are all dominated by the best character(s).

Lord Megatron said:
In addition to that, one of the most effective strategies in brawl is to camp/time people out.
Ever played against Bang or Hazama in BlazBlue? Have you played Street Fighter IV? Legit strategy is legit.

OizenX

Smash Journeyman
I hate:

1. Casual gamers who attack hardcore(lol) gamers for no reason

2. Hard core gamers who act like cry babies about casual gamers attacking them for no reason

3. Hardcore gamers being annoying, telling me Pokemon is an adult technical game about friendship.

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
Pokemon's like a Cartoon Network cartoon, its made in a way that all age groups can appreciate it. Its still the best **** RPG out there by far and away.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Man I play Melee competitively and play other games... Like I practice... (yesterday I practiced from 1am to 3am) and then the next day I played Paper Mario Thousand Year Door.

I haven't played any OTHER games recently though. I have school as well... lol.

Just Melee and Paper mario took up alot of time from one day. xD

Other games that are awesome:

Rainbow Six Las Vegas 2
Diddy Kong Racing 64
Star Fox Assault
Custom Robo
Fire Emblem
Pokemon
PSO

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Alright I just finished reading this thread and I thought of an idea WHY NOT JUST POST THE LITERAL MEANINGS OF SPORT.

Here you go: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport

Apparently by definition 3 SBB (Insert 64, M, B here) IS A SPORT, but ONLY IF YOU DO NOT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY (lol Irony). So both casual and non-casual gamers are wrong. How is that for odd?

Edit: It means that if you are a casual gamer then gaming is a sport. If you are competitive gamer then gaming is not a sport.

fragbait

Smash Master
Alright I just finished reading this thread and I thought of an idea WHY NOT JUST POST THE LITERAL MEANINGS OF SPORT.

Here you go: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport

Apparently by definition 3 SBB (Insert 64, M, B here) IS A SPORT, but ONLY IF YOU DO NOT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY (lol Irony). So both casual and non-casual gamers are wrong. How is that for odd?

Edit: It means that if you are a casual gamer then gaming is a sport. If you are competitive gamer then gaming is not a sport.
However, Encyclopedia Britannica defines sport as "Competitive Activity involving more than 1 person."

(did his senior research paper over Competitive Gaming: Past, Present, Future.")

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
However, Encyclopedia Britannica defines sport as "Competitive Activity involving more than 1 person."

(did his senior research paper over Competitive Gaming: Past, Present, Future.")
Ah, I suppose that is indeed more reliable than my source, I will admin what I said.

I now say, competitive gaming is indeed a sport.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
This....got out of hand, but regardless of that. You just don't argue with Casual ganers. Because casual gamers believe that if you take away what they can't do, competitive gamers can't win. Wrong.

Furthermore...each casual gamer has a different idea of what "cheap" is and isn't. So even casual gamers can't agree.

Also...Casual gamers complain about tiers. Despite that, they make their own personal tier lists whether they admit it or not. Every gamer has an opinion of who the best and worst characters in the game are.

The truly ironic thing, is that I've met casual gamers that play the game far more than competitive gamers. However, because they don't go to tournaments, they can make all the excuses they want. The argument itself differs based upon game, but all-in-all....you can spot one from a competitive gamer.

I went to a Brawl "tournament" with a buttload of casual gamers and some competitive ones strewn about. (Thanks Otakon) The casual gamers were the ones complaining about a snake glide tossing, camping and "spamming" safe moves. I looked at them and said...."That's Brawl...get over it" They continued to whine about there being tactics, and how I didn't understand the game. These are the people I scraped. The ironic thing? I hadn't touched Brawl in 2 years. I don't play Brawl, honestly. I also scraped an MK or two while there. These are people that play all the time...however, they're still...for all purposes...casual. They refuse to advance their game...calling anything that wins....cheap.

You can not argue with such people. It's pointless. They'll make every excuse in the book at their inability to win, except admitting their inability to win/get better. These are people who have friends to play and regular "competition". People who have access to information to get better. No excuse.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Any game rewarding skill over randomness that has people compete against eachother (inter)nationally can be classified as a sport in my opinion.

So yeah, some video games can be classified as sports, whether they require physical fitness or not isn't really important. I mean, look at Bowling, Curling, Darts, Chess and Golf..

Also, don't argue with casual gamers..:embarrass

Clownbot

Smash Lord
This....got out of hand, but regardless of that. You just don't argue with Casual ganers. Because casual gamers believe that if you take away what they can't do, competitive gamers can't win. Wrong.

Furthermore...each casual gamer has a different idea of what "cheap" is and isn't. So even casual gamers can't agree.

Also...Casual gamers complain about tiers. Despite that, they make their own personal tier lists whether they admit it or not. Every gamer has an opinion of who the best and worst characters in the game are.

The truly ironic thing, is that I've met casual gamers that play the game far more than competitive gamers. However, because they don't go to tournaments, they can make all the excuses they want. The argument itself differs based upon game, but all-in-all....you can spot one from a competitive gamer.

I went to a Brawl "tournament" with a buttload of casual gamers and some competitive ones strewn about. (Thanks Otakon) The casual gamers were the ones complaining about a snake glide tossing, camping and "spamming" safe moves. I looked at them and said...."That's Brawl...get over it" They continued to whine about there being tactics, and how I didn't understand the game. These are the people I scraped. The ironic thing? I hadn't touched Brawl in 2 years. I don't play Brawl, honestly. I also scraped an MK or two while there. These are people that play all the time...however, they're still...for all purposes...casual. They refuse to advance their game...calling anything that wins....cheap.

You can not argue with such people. It's pointless. They'll make every excuse in the book at their inability to win, except admitting their inability to win/get better. These are people who have friends to play and regular "competition". People who have access to information to get better. No excuse.
This post gives me the impression that you think all casual gamers are like this.

Please don't tell me you think all casual gamers are like this.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
No, no I don't. I figured we were just talking about the arrogant pricks that think they're better than everyone, lol. I know not ALL casual players are like this. At some point I was a casual player, and I wasn't like that. When I found out there was more to learn, I decided to learn it. As do other people I know.

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Bump, because I have a new topic to talk about arguing with casual gamers. I was thinking of making a new topic, but I felt that it might apply here.

The topic at hand? "It's just a game."

The rest of the post save for the last paragraph or so is just explanation stuff to back up my claims. Skip if you're going to just say "yes" or "no," but if you want to argue, at least read what I say

Ultimately, the arguments of the defendants are these:
  • "You're taking it too seriously"
  • "You're being a **** about it"
  • "It's just a game"

"You're taking it too seriously":

The cry of casual gamers for the competitive gamers or anyone who "takes the game too seriously." But what really constitutes "taking the game too seriously?" Wanting to win? Personally, I prefer to play to win against the other team, not to lose. This is really concerning LoL because I've been playing it lately, but it applies to Melee and Brawl and Smash64 and any other game as well.

There's a cheap move/character/tactic? What's wrong with me wanting to abuse it to win? You could use it, too (if not, the game just plain sucks because at least THAT level of balance must exist). Then wouldn't I also want a good teammate or a good team in general? Even casual gamers understand that losing is not fun. If you're really that much of a masochist, do it on your own time.

"You're being a **** about it":

Ok. So what? You still suck at the game. We haven't gone anywhere. If anything, your claims are baseless. Why? The results of the game have objectively defined that you lost. In the terms of LoL, the Nexus was destroyed or you went 2/11/1 or something horrible like that.

What are your proofs on us being "*****?" Your own emotions? Your own thoughts? Your own conceptions of how we should be acting? Or are we just big representations of physical human genitalia?

Claims need to be backed up with proof. And what's with "being a ****?" I'm sorry for those that expect everybody in the world to treat you nicely and give you tips and say, "Oh, it's okay you brought the team down even though we were dominating early on and only lost because you basically fed." The world doesn't work like that. Humans are perfect. Even those who say stuff like that (though not so sarcastically) will have their moments of frustration.

And it's only worse when you constantly bring down the team and insist that you keep playing with the team because you were a "support hero." (I'm bringing personal emotions into the argument, but this is mainly discussed in the collapse)

"It's just a game":

So what if it's "just a game?" Games are worth a lot. Even a "free game" like LoL, money is spent on your electricity to pay for the computer you bought. The game was downloaded through the internet that's being provided, and you spend time on the game.

So there goes your argument about "it's just a game." You're the one who spent time on the game and, ultimately, money. And you're going about it half-*****, saying it's unimportant, that it's "just a game." Even if you mean to play it as a hobby, I guess, do you really want to abandon a hobby after dedicating so much time to it? Do you really want to degrade what you enjoy doing? Do you really want to care so little about what you're doing? Any argument of "you're taking this too serious so you have no life" is made invalid since we, the competitive gamers, are at least taking something serious that we've dedicated our time to.

[collapse=Personal Application]
As this applies to me personally, my friend sucks *** at LoL, and he insisted that Zilean is a "support character so I couldn't do well that game." Yeah, he went, like, 2/11/1 or something, but I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and play one more game with him, telling him I wouldn't play with him for a long time until he gets better.

Game plays, he goes Ashe, he solos the midlane (I go Warwick so there are two solo lanes). Long story short, we get ***** because he feeds and our Taric sucks. At the end, I tell him "Okay, I'm not going to play with you for a month" because a GIRL (no prejudice against girls, but they learn games slower on the whole) had four times the growth in playing level than he did. She managed to get decent in a week. Then he says "It's just a game" and goes to sleep.
[/collapse]

So, the main question I pose is: Is "It's just a game" the loser's way of feeling better about themselves and escaping their failures/weaknesses?

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I missed this thread.

Acrostic said:
I am incredulous...
mastermoo said:
LOL GRANDILOQUENCE. This is basically saying you're not credible. That means all your arguments are worthless. This (coincidentally) ruins your credibility for the argument. However, I will pass this and continue responding.
Acrostic said:
Then again perhaps I am looking too much into your response. After all, it could have just been rhetoric.
mastermoo said:
AND DO PEOPLE NOT KNOW WHAT RHETORIC IS? Of course I used rhetoric in my post; if I didn't, it would be a weak argument. If you're trolling, your credibility goes down here.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
My question is do you have to be competitive to not be casual? Casual people never get better at what they do ( a lot of times, not always), they play Wiifit over Brawl, Anime fighers over SSF4, etc etc. (I'm talking Naruto games)

I never really do Tourneys, though I like playing offline games and getting a 100%. Because I'm not uber-pro at Marth, or play SSF4 religiously, am I casual?

That's what bugs me. People think it's black and white.

Casual : Non Competitive dumb people.
Non-Casual: Tourney players

At least thats how a lot of people are coming off >_>. What about the people who enjoy perfecting things, and getting good at multi-games, but not at non-casual level. There is a grey catagory, all I'm saying.

Because when it comes to Brawl, Melee, etc, I'd be in the Grey. But when it comes to Rpgs, adventures, etc, I'm pretty pressed on getting 100%.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Bump, because I have a new topic to talk about arguing with casual gamers. I was thinking of making a new topic, but I felt that it might apply here.

The topic at hand? "It's just a game."

The rest of the post save for the last paragraph or so is just explanation stuff to back up my claims. Skip if you're going to just say "yes" or "no," but if you want to argue, at least read what I say

Ultimately, the arguments of the defendants are these:
  • "You're taking it too seriously"
  • "You're being a **** about it"
  • "It's just a game"

"You're taking it too seriously":

The cry of casual gamers for the competitive gamers or anyone who "takes the game too seriously." But what really constitutes "taking the game too seriously?" Wanting to win? Personally, I prefer to play to win against the other team, not to lose. This is really concerning LoL because I've been playing it lately, but it applies to Melee and Brawl and Smash64 and any other game as well.

There's a cheap move/character/tactic? What's wrong with me wanting to abuse it to win? You could use it, too (if not, the game just plain sucks because at least THAT level of balance must exist). Then wouldn't I also want a good teammate or a good team in general? Even casual gamers understand that losing is not fun. If you're really that much of a masochist, do it on your own time.

"You're being a **** about it":

Ok. So what? You still suck at the game. We haven't gone anywhere. If anything, your claims are baseless. Why? The results of the game have objectively defined that you lost. In the terms of LoL, the Nexus was destroyed or you went 2/11/1 or something horrible like that.

What are your proofs on us being "*****?" Your own emotions? Your own thoughts? Your own conceptions of how we should be acting? Or are we just big representations of physical human genitalia?

Claims need to be backed up with proof. And what's with "being a ****?" I'm sorry for those that expect everybody in the world to treat you nicely and give you tips and say, "Oh, it's okay you brought the team down even though we were dominating early on and only lost because you basically fed." The world doesn't work like that. Humans are perfect. Even those who say stuff like that (though not so sarcastically) will have their moments of frustration.

And it's only worse when you constantly bring down the team and insist that you keep playing with the team because you were a "support hero." (I'm bringing personal emotions into the argument, but this is mainly discussed in the collapse)

"It's just a game":

So what if it's "just a game?" Games are worth a lot. Even a "free game" like LoL, money is spent on your electricity to pay for the computer you bought. The game was downloaded through the internet that's being provided, and you spend time on the game.

So there goes your argument about "it's just a game." You're the one who spent time on the game and, ultimately, money. And you're going about it half-*****, saying it's unimportant, that it's "just a game." Even if you mean to play it as a hobby, I guess, do you really want to abandon a hobby after dedicating so much time to it? Do you really want to degrade what you enjoy doing? Do you really want to care so little about what you're doing? Any argument of "you're taking this too serious so you have no life" is made invalid since we, the competitive gamers, are at least taking something serious that we've dedicated our time to.

[collapse=Personal Application]
As this applies to me personally, my friend sucks *** at LoL, and he insisted that Zilean is a "support character so I couldn't do well that game." Yeah, he went, like, 2/11/1 or something, but I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and play one more game with him, telling him I wouldn't play with him for a long time until he gets better.

Game plays, he goes Ashe, he solos the midlane (I go Warwick so there are two solo lanes). Long story short, we get ***** because he feeds and our Taric sucks. At the end, I tell him "Okay, I'm not going to play with you for a month" because a GIRL (no prejudice against girls, but they learn games slower on the whole) had four times the growth in playing level than he did. She managed to get decent in a week. Then he says "It's just a game" and goes to sleep.
[/collapse]

So, the main question I pose is: Is "It's just a game" the loser's way of feeling better about themselves and escaping their failures/weaknesses?
You REALLY take video games too seriously. Like I think you have a super unhealthy obsession.

Top Bottom