• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arizona Brawl Power Rankings and Brawl Social Thread (Updated: November 2013)

TheCubeStud

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately (at least for me and most of my fun) my ego died at Apex. Ironically I've had my best year ever since, but Stroumbert has my ego nailed on his wall somewhere in the form of a championship belt I gave him. Although I do still rub it in t0mmy and t1mmy's faces constantly because they deserve it.

But this one is all about fun and meeting people. I'm excited to play Kyle's Peach. Praxis is the only Peach we have in the region and he's not as good as people would have had you thought, so I'd like to see a good, current Peach. And of course ARocks, and everybody else. Indigestable Wad was down in Arizona pretty recently and attended a tournament, and he spoke quite highly of the scene to us.

:phone:

Jar'd

Smash Ace
I'm excited for Viviff to come. Meeting new/good people is something that still makes me enjoy the game. Regardless of everything, I will do my best to come to that tournament.

But now, it's voice of reality time: don't expect a [successful] regional. While I definitely think Viviff is at minimum a regional level player, he's not a regional draw. We already have two regional level players, but you don't see people coming to play them. Don't expect anyone to travel for the "opportunity" to play him.

However, we're lucky in AZ to have someone who I'm confident in their ability to generate regional draw. So, it's up to (hint) her to make this into what could be a successful regional.

TheCubeStud

Smash Apprentice
I'm excited for Viviff to come. Meeting new/good people is something that still makes me enjoy the game. Regardless of everything, I will do my best to come to that tournament.

But now, it's voice of reality time: don't expect a [successful] regional. While I definitely think Viviff is at minimum a regional level player, he's not a regional draw. We already have two regional level players, but you don't see people coming to play them. Don't expect anyone to travel for the "opportunity" to play him.

However, we're lucky in AZ to have someone who I'm confident in their ability to generate regional draw. So, it's up to (hint) her to make this into what could be a successful regional.

That's some real talk, and some real correct talk. I mean I hope everyone that can make it from Arizona make the effort not just for me, but for their scene in general, but other places where you might be drawing players like SoCal will probably be unable to give a s*** about little ol' me. Regardless of how good of an Oregon player I am and even being the best in a dying Pac NW scene, I'm still an Oregon player. Lol.

However a phenomenon that sometimes occurs here is "Oh, people from ____ are coming? Well then maybe we'll throw a carpool together too!" Our regions being West Wa, East Wa, NOregon, SOregon, and British Columbia, with the rare East Oregon. But if we have a centralized-ish event location and WeWA and NOregon are confirmed for good attendance, then SOregon will be like "Oh cool, good event, let's get a carpool out there too.", then that can snowball into the tougher regions like BC and EWa coming out too.

May be a bit TO 101, but I always assume things work a little differently elsewhere because as a whole we're a bizarre region. I don't how your regions breakdown over there, and if there's like 5 sub-regions of Arizona or something. But if you can get a lot of people on board locally, it tends to grow the hype elsewhere. A gimmick might work too, like a crew battle tournament to entice regions to show up in force. I'm kinda just spitballin' I'm 3 gin and tonics in and suddenly feel like I have amazing ideas. I'm sure you guys can make it work regardless. Like I said, 12 people in a comic shop is just fine, I'm from Oregon.

k9.

Smash Ace
JARD I WILL SHOW YOU I AM A NATIONAL PLAYER! you under estimate us so hard. APEX!

VIVIFF NICE TO MEET YOU, IM GUNNA KICK YOUR ***, BECAUSE I WILL BE NUMBER ONE AT THAT TIME.

Kyle you would take me to green greens after i 3 STOCKED YOU ON BF (: i didn't know that damn stage was legal he said ladder rules. **** WIFI LOL

Jar'd

Smash Ace
Snowball effect is pretty reasonable, actually. But I don't think AZ+1 isn't enough to get it started. Though, with Shawn's Vegas connections+Saffy's everywhere connections, it could work out. I'm hoping for the best.

If I'm understanding you right Shawn, you're saying you already are a national level player, not that you will become one. So prove it. Apex 2012. No excuses if you don't perform to that standard at Apex? Because I'm not saying you won't ever reach that level. But if you're saying you are already there, then I look forward to having someone from AZ to cheer on with confidence.

k9.

Smash Ace
^i ***** you the first two stocks then you jumped off LOL.

@Jard what i mean is i will show that i can be a national player at apex, and i will do that by going there a regional player and coming out a national player. No one is a national player until they prove themselves.

Edit: The reason i say that as well jard, is because you always down talk our state. You know it's true, so i just get fired up when you say anything bad about our state. You have been doing this ever since i join the scene.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
lol u only 3 stocked me cuz i forfeited the match after that bs shuttle loop. no skill, get carried by MK
Haha, those are fighting words Kyle, get at 'em.

I had fun jumping in a Wifi tournament for once, as laggy and offput as it was. Maybe I'll swing by AiB again some other time.

Oh and yeah, all we have to do for a regional is basically pimp Safara out, because we all know Smashers like Females because...you know, gamers and all.

#BasementDwellers

Jar'd

Smash Ace
It's true, I always do talk about about AZ lol. But it serves a purpose. For some people, it works as motivation, which is great. But the main reason I do it is to try and egocheck. By talking down, nobody expects anything. So, you go out of state, and you do well, everyone is surprised and everything works out great. If you're hyping yourself up, and you do poorly, you just look like a *******. I don't think anyone thinks better about someone because of how much they hype themselves up. "Wow, that guy says he's really good! They must be great! I have so much respect for them because of how much **** they talk without having proved anything!" The only thing that will actually earn you respect are results. AZ's first few trips out of state kind of proved it. Everyone did poorly, and we just looked liked a bunch if idiots. Nothing we did mattered until we went back and we (read: Chris) did good. Even then though, look where that got us. With a grand total of one good player in the state, we still had little significance.

I love the state and the scene, and I don't want us to be bad, but there needs to be someone to provide the real talk lol. I want us to be great and I'd be happy to see AZ do well and be regarded by others as a threatening state. But we aren't there yet, no matter how you look at it.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I'm sexy you wanna buy my phoenix gas money?

That's a joke, don't do that.

Anyway for a regional I think as long is AZ is it's normal charming self that should be enough to get the people we care about to come (SoCal, Vegas, NM, Texas, places out here, because if anything as bad as people feel our scene is, we at least have top-tier people)

We also have 2 "regionals" from last year to analyze and learn from. See what we did wrong... and right... I'd be down to donate some prizes and stuff, personally. If everyone throws in a little cash plus filler money from me we can offer up a legit first prize like a game system and a trophy/plaque or something because people like their name on things. Make it seeded towards some big tourney to come up. Player incentive stuff.

Although I don't really know how smash will look next year if things still go decently (because I know there are some tournament series planned for post apex) then that'd be cool. And we never actually know how Apex will affect the scene. Some perceive it as going out with a bang but it COULD be the resurgence of smash.

Saffy

Smash Ace
I'm sexy you wanna buy my phoenix gas money?

That's a joke, don't do that.

We also have 2 "regionals" from last year to analyze and learn from. See what we did wrong... and right... I'd be down to donate some prizes and stuff, personally. If everyone throws in a little cash plus filler money from me we can offer up a legit first prize like a game system and a trophy/plaque or something because people like their name on things. Make it seeded towards some big tourney to come up. Player incentive stuff.
* I plan on selling character buttons too in the upcoming tournaments if anyone is interested?*

1. Get a reliable person to do the stream.
2. Get a reliable person to save the important matches and upload them.
3. More people need to bring tv's and set ups. Needs to run faster.
4. Large Venue (Uat over gaming zone in that perspective)
5. Shower policy needed. The room shrieked of hot mild *** towards the end. I know it was not pleasant for the faces of the out of state.
6. Amateur brackets if possible.
7. TO's need to be strict and dq people not playing their matches within 5 minutes.

I agree with what you said... it would be cool for all of us to chip in and get something for the winner. or a money donation.

If I feel like it I may provide gift bags once again since I got pretty much positive feedback on them. I'm really happy you guys liked them.

W.C.N

Smash Lord
Put in coupons for saffys milkshake in the gift bags, it'll bring all the boys to the yard

Ness 682

Smash Apprentice
Once again Saffy, I agree with you and thank you for that one time you did so (still wear some of the items you gave me to each tourney :)).

Also, I'd recommend ensuring people getting here on time for when it's actually scheduled, as being 1 hour late or so is quite ridiculous :/

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
I haven't checked any SWF thread in months. Is Brawl dead in this State yet?

Also, I no longer recommend playing PSAS.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Hey man.

All-Stars... has small, and VERY brief moments of fun. The Supers system, and Sly Cooper/Kratos/Nathan Drake/Raiden all make matches untolerable very fast. I feel that even if there are future patches planned, none of them would fix the GLARING issue of supers just being completely ********. The game has already pretty much boiled down to the 4 characters I listed, at least one or more of those 4 characters are in every online match you play. Stock mode is worthless too just because it does nothing but make the game worse. Also, the "All-Stars" part of the title is joke/lie. No Crash/Spyro, and we get Toro, Fail Dante, more than 1Cole, and Fat Princess(Peach+Wario **** baby, such an abomination shouldn't even have seen the light of day.)

And it makes me sad, since I REALLY Fµcking love playing PaRappa. That character means more to my childhood than any worthless Nintendo character. I had hopes that PSAS would be cool, but nope.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
Sounds like a really enjoyable game. The one time I played it, all I knew was that Raiden was super good lol.

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
yea, I've played that game. It's fun, but has no competitive value. I main spike, which is another of my childhood favorite game characters. Unfortunately, he's bad in all-stars, not that that's ever stopped me from playing my favorite character in any other games.

I'd still rather play smash bros.
Sonic > Spike.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I played Spike for a bit last time I played. But short term memory was... Challenging that night, so I couldn't remember any inputs lol

But I remember him being fun.

Tommy, would you still play locally?

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
I've been playing All-Stars as of late, it's fun for parties and I play it with my buddies when I'm drunk, I'm not playing it competitively but more as a party game which makes it much more enjoyable. I use Raiden and Jak/Daxter so far, combining an OP character with a *****ty one.

Advice: Do not take the game seriously. I basically view it in the same way I would Mario Party and it keeps it fun in a light-hearted manner.

Ness 682

Smash Apprentice
Couldn't all the smash games be fun if you play it like that game? Think about it. They have items and options to change the game play (stamina, low/high weight, etc.). So all in all, its your choice to play competitively or not, I have MUCH more fun when I don't play serious in Melee. Brawl, I've spent too much time into it that I can't go back without immediately lowering my skill level :(

Top Bottom