• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ART with Your Almighty Power 4! Results March 28th, 1997!

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I don't know about gifts or threats, but I had suggested you choose judges who are willing to be punctual with the critiques and results.

I was shot down. Main argument was that this is a contest on a video game based forum for a title and icon. They all have lives and have the right to reward us.

It sounds like we should expect nothing of you judges as you have something better to do. I'm no good with arguing, so I can easily lose this, but it doesn't sound much fair to give us a due date, and not expect something soon after.

I'm thinking it much like customer service. Something like this would be considered weak customer service. We were asked to apply for the membership card, and we did. Now we aren't getting the benefits because our approval hasn't gone through. Us customers might try elsewhere (But of course none of us are leaving, so that's where this analogy falters; No fear in your customer leaving) and see if we get approval immediately.

Bad analogy?

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Understandable!

But the judges are humans. Sometimes things come up that's more important at the moment. School work, family death, sick, etc.

Trust me, I really want to know, too! But understand that things do happen and nagging all the time won't make a difference.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
But a full month has passed. I too have a life. I go to college, and the semester is about to end so there's those end of the semester jitters. Then I also have a job in retail. Plus voluntary work. Yet, I can still count the times I have had free time. And in that free time, there's a choice that can be made.

It's like an associate promising a customer his service, but after he finishes tasking. He asks the customer to patiently wait until he is finished. After a while, he is still tasking, and the customer is still waiting. Fed up, the customer leaves.

It's not the results that I'm annoyed about now. It's that they aren't here. I'm not worried about a new title and icon right now.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Just be patient.
Glad you can balance out things, but not everyone is you. Not trying to be mean, but I think you should be a little more patient about things. They took their time to make these contests, go through all the art, and try and make you guys have fun. Be a little more grateful; they are putting the time to work on all of this. It's a really nice thing to do. It'll come around eventually! No worries!

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
O_O You're right, it has been over a month, didn't even realise.

Honestly, there are about 15 entries, I'd imagine just doing one/two a day, or even one/two every 2 days isn't that demanding. A month is kind of stretching it imo.

To think I originally thought the initial 10 day wait was too long. xD

Dw Zio, I feel your frustration.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
It's not that serious guys.

The judges will get it done. You've done the hard bit in entering, just sit back and chill.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
The main point of AWYP is to create art; spur you into it with the enticement of an orange name. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this batch of entries is easily the best we've had. Easily. Yes, I know placing well is what most of you want, but it's really not as important as doing the work. What's important is that, unlike everyone else on the forum that was too busy or convinced themselves they couldn't do it, you guys sat down and did it. No johns; that's much tougher to do than say.

The scores will get done; we aren't Scav and this isn't WWYP :p. Instead of sitting around on your hands waiting for scores, be drawing more. Be painting. Do art. The people that entered all ready have the better reward.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Ah, yes. And that is what I continue to do. I continue to draw. I continue to attempt to compose with fruity loops. I continue to edit video. I continue to toy around with my new DSLR.

I am not simply waiting for the results. I am off doing my own thing. I was just voicing myself.

EDIT - I just had the oddest dream results were posted today.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Nothing wrong with moar premium, eh?
It might be worth sabotaging Frown IRL.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Lol ok, I'm going to post honestly about my whole situation with this and my feelings. FYI I am almost done with judging when I decided to just write an all encompassing critique instead of a broken down critique based on the four sections. Instead of taking 15+minutes on each entry I'm taking about ten. Only here to post this now because my laptop likes to overheat and become nearly unusable so I've switched to my b/f's compy to write more critiques in gmail to e-mail to myself. Lol.

I have actually been avoiding this thread for a big main reason: People talking about when oh when the critiques will be done. And honestly, that attitude has been what's cause me to drag my feet on critiquing(aside from working full time).

Let me give you a run down on how things have felt for me, as a judge.

Everytime an AWYP ends, we instantly have people hoping for the next one, and eventually, some of you, complaining that a next one hasn't been started yet. Or joking about how long it'll be for another one. The latter is just as annoying because it feels like a complaint.

A new AWYP starts. This one partially because I knew people would be excited, and I didn't fully think through my work and social schedule(and a coworker quit. That was fun for time). Instantly-Instantly, people complain about the two week time limit. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be saying this to everyone, because a lot of you are very fair. But still, we get complaints complaints. We also got slight complaints about the clarity of the prompt, and what should be required of it. This doesn't help much for motivation on the judges part.

Contest time is up. I decide to set a timeline about when scores will be put up, hoping it'll keep me and the other judges on a timeline for timely scores. Obviously, this failed. But even before there was a long wait after the due date, what happens? I say expect results March 28th. On March 28th, people grumble that results aren't up yet. That's awesome.

I'm not trying to shed my responsibility, because I am responsible and it is unreasonable to be so late. But honestly, feeling under-appreciated hasn't inspired me to try harder. On top of this, for a time, I was working 5 days a week, 10:30-7:30. I get home around 8:25 depending on trains if the clients at my work decide not to drag their feet out the door. On these days, I don't get home til 8:30. On work days, I honestly wanted to do nothing but get home, relax, and spend time with my boyfriend before going to bed. For about two weeks at least, I only got online once or twice a week.

Finally, my work drops to four days a week. On and off that is because the new coworker isn't very good. Luckily, my boyfriend, whom always worked on my days off and I only saw at night, has the same days off as me. I decide to go out and do stuff with him and relax because I haven't properly been around him for weeks. Yeah, I should've put time aside to work on judging, but honestly work had me so stressed out that I didn't care.

Eventually my time and stress mellows out. By this point, I am avoiding looking at this thread because I'm in no sort of mood to possibly see negativity on late scores. Add to this the thought of writing 4 paragraphs for 12 different entries, some of which I knew I'd have a hard time judging due to not being familiar with the medium, and now I'm at an avoidance stage. Also knowing that the other judges weren't far into judging didn't help either, but in the end I'm fully responsible for my procrastination.

I do apologize greatly for the late scores, but understand where the judges are coming from. Stress from life, feeling under-appreciated, and my own personality flaws have cause me to be unforgivably late.

Sorry guys. I promise to have my scores done by the weekend.

Edits: I also did not anticipate getting this many entries based on the last AWYP, and the short time line. Whoops.
Oh, and I created a deadline for judges because when we didn't have one, people instantly whined about how long they had to wait until scores were posted.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Livvers, i send you e-hugs since you be stressed ):

Remember, you rock! And take your time! We dont want the judging to infringe on your life (even though we act like we do xD)!

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You don't have to place that burden on your shoulders. There are people here willing to help you.

Also - I know that was indirectly directed at me. I'm guilty of all that was mentioned. Sorry for pushing you to that extreme.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I think we angered the Livvers. ): Take your time, guys. Life can be rough.

I just noticed Chaco's name is a different color.

Geist

Smash Master
I have actually been avoiding this thread for a big main reason: People talking about when oh when the critiques will be done. And honestly, that attitude has been what's cause me to drag my feet on critiquing(aside from working full time).
I know exactly where you're coming from. I periodically do art requests for friends and family and nothing gets me more disintrested than the feeling that I'm under the clock.
Hopefully I haven't said anything that makes me a hypocrite lol

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
Livvers--wow, i feel like a really bad person, even though i, and probably others, jokingly made those statements.

i'm sorry that i made you feel like coming to the art thread was a hassle.

to ensure that noone complains like a punk next time, ie-me :( -jokinly or not, i found this pic for you...

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Aw it's ok guys =) I just wanted you to get an idea where I was coming from. I just felt a bit like people didn't quite realize running a contest could be some added stress on top of stress, and that nit pick comments don't help, even if they aren't meant to be malicious.

Thanks for the support =) I only have about three entries left to judge now that I've eased off on myself a bit about judging. This turn out has been great!

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Livvers, I have a few suggestions which may help to lower your stress level in the future:

1) Have two completely different panels of judges who rotate every other contest. This might lessen the fatigue of starting another contest immediately after judging another. The critiquing procedure would have to be well documented enough to maintain equivalent judgments between groups, but it sounds like it's pretty well formalized already.

2) Start out with a very bare bones likert scale assessment for each work, and if that's done before the deadline you set go back and flesh out the constructive criticism. If a contest ends before you have time to flesh out the constructive criticism and an artist really wants it, then you could put that together and PM it to him later after the contest ends; if you implemented the first suggestion then you'd have plenty of time after the results came out to wrap up criticism while the other panel started the next contest.

I judge research articles for a journal and for us missing a deadline is not an option. We therefore use a system of starting with a thorough likert scale analysis and if we have time flesh out the constructive feedback. I understand that judging art is a much more creative and subjective process, but I think a similar procedure might still work.

Dunno if either of those will work for you or not, but maybe they could help.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
It's not that serious guys.
To all judges, at no point should this be stressing you. Like really, it's just a fun contest designed to stimulate enthusiasm for art here on the boards, that's all.

It's just not that important for it to get to the stage where it's really stressing you guys out.

Work and family or a art contest on Smashboards? Lol it's not even a contest.

Post the results tomorrow, next week, next year guys, whenever, it's all good.

This whole thing is about Art guys. Remember that. It's not about military precision with the judging.

Yaowa!

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
It's not so much the contest being stressful, it's stress of life getting in the way of wanting to sit down and go on with more work, like judging, instead of getting some free time.

My biggest annoyance with the contests aren't stress, but people's inability to care that all of the judges are adults with either full time school or work and possibly other engagements, and that complaining about every step of the contest process is annoying and makes a person want to work on it even less. Most of you are great. Don't worry. And I enjoy seeing people enter and the contests in general. We just ask for a little patience.

@Shell: I actually started doing advice #2 recently. It's the reason I only have two entries left to judge =) So much better to just lump it all together than to break critiques down into 4 different sections(which, with art, is about impossible anyways because the four categories intermingle with eachother). Thanks for the advice!

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh, I'm sorry for being impatient then. I'm just anxious for critique on my piece, and checking my placement.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Chaco, I'm now dropping all your scores to 0.

You lose! Good day, sir!

Actually I finished Thursday. Not sure how everyone else is fairing =)

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Nah. But if I'm not done by Sunday, I will buy Premium for whoever wins.
Now, I wonder. Would you be speaking of today, or just mention sunday, ambiguously, with no exact date?

Otherwise, we all holding you tot this. ;)

Top Bottom