• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

3xSwords

Smash Lord
But jumping takes 6 frames while shield drop takes 4 so which one is really safer?

Somebody with a good knowledge of marth frame data want to clarify?

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
But jumping takes 6 frames while shield drop takes 4 so which one is really safer?

Somebody with a good knowledge of marth frame data want to clarify?
Iam glad i helped....................

I said JC cuz if you jump you can pivot/move you counter a bit toward or away form your oppoment.

Also i got a question is Fair to Uair a combo?

If so what dmg% does it need to pull it off?

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
eh? there are good and bad sides most definitely.

Adjusting spacing can almost be impossible in small stages, but then again there is the counter which is nice is your opponents are all pretty much seeming overwhelming.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
I don't think fair > uair is a combo most of the time. There might be a certain % where it is unavoidable but I don't have that knowledge.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Iam glad i helped....................

I said JC cuz if you jump you can pivot/move you counter a bit toward or away form your oppoment.

Also i got a question is Fair to Uair a combo?

If so what dmg% does it need to pull it off?
I usually shield drop counter myself, I'm not sure which is better. I'll try to remember to ask someone with superior knowledge of general frame data. Fair to Uair is not a combo, because Fair to Fair isn't a combo. Also Uair to Fair isn't a combo, but it's a great trap, if you rather edge-guard than juggle.

Just a random question. Is it just me, or does Marth kinda suck in free for alls? >_>
I **** in FFA with Marth.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Fair to Fair isn't a combo, although is does work a lot against people that haven't mastered their DI, and also even if the second one doesn't hit you are still relatively safe to apply more shield pressure with DB or SB.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
there in YT are some old vids of Roy_R when he came to Colombia and owned everybody in Melee
also, 2 wifi matches from the first days of brawl, vs one of the best players here
should i share those vids?

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Ok but if the vids suck as in we won't be able to learn anything than don't. I mean use your own judgement, you can just post vids as entertainment then it won't really matter.

.....Just post them here and don't make a separate thread. Makes things simpler and won't have to deal with people that say "Why make new thread for old vids?" like me XP.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Fair to Fair isn't a combo, although is does work a lot against people that haven't mastered their DI, and also even if the second one doesn't hit you are still relatively safe to apply more shield pressure with DB or SB.
If you space properly, then yes, to a degree. It may be somewhat tricky to space a second Fair. I usually Fair to Dancing Blade, and it works almost like a combo many times. Fair to Dtilt is good. Two Fairs are rarely necessary anymore, unless your opponent has bad DI.

there in YT are some old vids of Roy_R when he came to Colombia and owned everybody in Melee
also, 2 wifi matches from the first days of brawl, vs one of the best players here
should i share those vids?
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173917&page=6

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
It wouldn't be great if the Fairs can't set anything up. Like a kill. If they're stale then they probably won't kill, even offstage when the opponent is at high percentages.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
Today I fought many Ike's, and saw how nice those fairs are, no matter who's playing. doing 2 or 3 off the edge = good stuff. there;'s no way the Ike's could climb back up, and the fairs gave Ike just enough push to knock him out.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
*dadadaaa......DAAAA*

*Nibbity has leveled up*

*Nibbity can now learn the move edgeguard*

*You can learn no more than 4 moves, which move will you delete for move edgeguard?*

*Move noob f-smash spam has been deleted*

*Nibbity learned edgeguard!!!!*

*Oh you also Gained 15 Gold!!!!*

:D

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
lol....

Ok ok, maybe I deserved that. I was just in a good mood so I thought you all wanted to hear what you already knew.

EDIT: 15 Gold? Aw.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Don't misunderstand Nibbity, I'm just kidding around.

I mean sometimes we need to lighten up, you know? Glad to know you're a cool guy about what I did though.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
hah, yeah I know exactly what you mean. It's all good, I knew you were kidding, so I didn't get mad.

You're totally right, though. it's good to just joke around once in a while.

Daea

Smash Cadet
Why is it that sometimes it seems that I have more lag after performing a grab release than others? i.e. sometimes I'll let a mk air break and be able to move soon enough after to dash > tipper fair, while other times I'll be stuck unable to do anything after the mk breaks free. I see this in some of peoples' videos too. For example I saw neo playing a mk, and at times he seemed to have too much lag after some grab releases to be able to chase for the fair followup. Is this a matter of tricky timing to initiate the dash after the release or something about how high the character is when you air released them or something altogether different?

3xSwords

Smash Lord
No its just the timing. Really for me the "feel" of when the lag from the grab release ends is very strange. Like its longer than lag from a single jab but its shorter than lag from an f-smash, so I just think you might be timing it incorrectly, due to not using it often and how telling when the lag ends is difficult to do by just staring at you character.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I think 3x just means "buffer the dash, hope to <insert deity of choice> and hit them with your sword"

It happens to me too, it's just a miscalculation of their relative positioning from the release. The bad part is if you miscalculate against MK, you might lose a stock just there. =/

jw511

Smash Cadet
I've got a few questions cause i'm a noob and need information. Sorry if you see these all the time.

Does fighting lvl 9s help at all?
What does boostsmash mean?
How can i set up spikes?

3xSwords

Smash Lord
1)Well maybe in the beginning to improve basic reaction timing and just getting used to the heat of battle. But if you play lvl 9's too much you develop a lot of bad habits and seemingly random and laggy attacks will hit them but your quick ones won't just to name one out of the many.

2)Boost smash is Dash Canceled Up-Smash. This is when you dash attack and immediately perform an u-smash in the initial frames of the dash attack. For characters that benefit from it, they gain a huge slide while doing their u-smash. Look in the AT thread in tactical discussion for more detail.

3)To set up spikes....... No real setup that's reliable. There is one that goes f-throw>spike, but that only works between 0-5% on Falco and some others.

Just play with Marth get used to the tipper of the blade and sooner or later you will be able to spike at will and it becomes just a matter of whether or not your opponent gives you an opening to spike. To get spiking consistently it takes hours and/or days of practice and you won't get it in the first 5 min.

jw511

Smash Cadet
thanks for the answers. I've got one last question for now; if marth isn't very good against metaknight and snake, are there any character or stage counterpicks i could choose?? Or i could just keep working with marth against them, i guess.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
thanks for the answers. I've got one last question for now; if marth isn't very good against metaknight and snake, are there any character or stage counterpicks i could choose?? Or i could just keep working with marth against them, i guess.
Most stages that Marth excel in MK also excel in. I cant think of a stage that Marth has the advantage over MK with, Maybe Green Greens, if its legal.

For Snake, Japes is an awesome CP, the high ceiling to keep utilt for ko'ing too early, and gaps in the ground prevent grenade spam. If Japes is banned you can try Luigis Mansion. The Mansion will keep Snake from being able to do his usual game and you can pressure with ftilts and dancing blade, plus he wont be ko'ing you anytime soon inside it.

Also, ALWAYS work with Marth against MK and Snake, I actually rather play Snake now then something like a good Diddy or Luigi because Im so used to how they work.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Most stages that Marth excel in MK also excel in. I cant think of a stage that Marth has the advantage over MK with, Maybe Green Greens, if its legal.

For Snake, Japes is an awesome CP, the high ceiling to keep utilt for ko'ing too early, and gaps in the ground prevent grenade spam. If Japes is banned you can try Luigis Mansion. The Mansion will keep Snake from being able to do his usual game and you can pressure with ftilts and dancing blade, plus he wont be ko'ing you anytime soon inside it.

Also, ALWAYS work with Marth against MK and Snake, I actually rather play Snake now then something like a good Diddy or Luigi because Im so used to how they work.
I thought Snake players love Luigi's Mansion because HE DOESN'T ****ING DIE THERE.

I guess it depends on the players.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I thought Snake players love Luigi's Mansion because HE DOESN'T ****ING DIE THERE.

I guess it depends on the players.
Well, up b can send Snake at a low angle and KO way easier then a ftilt from Snake, simply because of the trajectory. Up B sometimes sends almost straight forward.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
What do you guys think about using counter as an edge guarding tool to characters that attack with their recovery moves? (Minus mk since....well I stopped trying to edge guard him a long time ago)

In other words, useful or is it better to just go with the jump off the ledge and fair/bair/dair(if you're gutsy and like being flashy). I've been conflicted on this for a while.

Also, I fail at testing this: does marth's u-tilt outrange mk's dair?

feardragon64

Smash Champion
If a player is predictable, use counter. This applied for all situations, not just edgeguarding.
Of course. Though honestly if they're really being predictable, why not just tip a fsmash? =b If you're gonna punish, punish.

Also, two more questions.

Let me put it this way, what are your best options when below mk? On stage, above stage, and off stage(presumably you're the one recovering).

And also, not that anyone can really do this effectively in matches(from what I know anyways), but does super tip shield breaker(blast from the past right?) break down shields more than just a tipped one? This is more of a just curious question anywho. Figure I should take an active role in clearing up my old misconceptions.

Brian612

Smash Rookie
My question is why does Pierce7d have metaknight as his avatar...?

jkjk :p

My REAL question is I read somewhere in the marth threads that after using DB twice the damage reaches its lowest...is this true??

Top Bottom