• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
thanks for the posts omni, that was a nice input.

However if one cant push this mentality of "im better than this guy without a doubt" then are there any alternate ways?

plus training can also be bad in the sense that people dont know how to properly train (i.e learning stuff which may be less beneficial than others). im pretty sure many players out there have trained and have been confident in something only to see it overcomed by someone.

also i main every colour xD

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
it's usually something really simple that's making you nervous, Kasper.

what makes you nervous in the first place?

Kasper!

Smash Lord
my question was meant to be general.

however if i was to think about it in my case it would be ME NOT USING SOMETHING i learned from the boards/experiences which could ultimately cost me a set resulting in me getting sent to losers

OH GAWD THE HORROR I GET CHILLS FROM JUST THINKING ABOUT IT!!!!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
RAIN uses red falco and im pretty sure dehf uses original.

I guess that means Ima have to knock SK down a peg, cus im not giving up Black Falco.

also, when im nervous in game, I just take the first few seconds of a match to nail down all my falco techskill stuff. Get the timing down on my double lasers, IAP across the stage a few times. a few BPGs. just to make sure I have everything down. and if Im playing technically correct, I know that I have nothing to worry about because im smarter than 90% of the people out there that I have to play.

pulse131

Smash Ace
heh, i was more nervous playing as falco in tourny, or maybe even more then when i was using link o.o
maybe it was because then i wasnt aware of the people i was against, and they hadnt the faintest idea of how to play the MU, and now i do know my opponents and how bomb they are, using a character theyve played tons.
ya that'll happen.

Gah777

Smash Lord
I prefer 80's Falco. Nothing beats the leather jacket, jeans, and white shirt combo.

plus training can also be bad in the sense that people dont know how to properly train (i.e learning stuff which may be less beneficial than others).
I hear of people saying how they train or do stuff all the time. But, does anyone ever really know the proper way to train in this game when everyone is so different?

From my own observations, one can actually get better naturally by simply applying a few things.
-Play the game a lot
-Play as many different scenarios as you can.
-Play with your mind.

By play the game a lot, I mean exactly that. You cannot really expect to get any better by never playing. Putting enough time into things in life is very much the big key to success. You simply improve your control over your character, your ability to read opponents, to perform an action with a low rate of failure, etc. There are so many things you train by merely playing a lot, even against the CPU. However, unless you are using your time wisely, you can stop getting better.

Play as many scenarios as possible means to play different people, different characters, different stages, different methods of playing your character, different punishment methods, etc. One can have a good reaction time, but suck at the game because they do not know the proper means of punishing, evading or the properties of different attacks in the game and how they all interact.

Play with your mind is a loaded statement. With that line I am combining both the mental aspect of yourself, and the mental aspect of your opponent. The two combined creates a mental game that dictates so many interactions when you play. It affects your ability to predict people, your abilty to execute commands succesfully, your abililty to stay unpredictable, and many other things. It's so complicated since it involves the interaction of two minds. This makes it really impossible for anyone to ever give you a true lecture on how to think, it is simply something that develops the more you play and the many scenarios you pit yourself in.

So in my opinion, if you simply put yourself into as many different scenarios that you can think of, play them long enough to learn how to combat them and gather the ability to play the mindgame, you can better yourself without having to do much else.

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
I need a counterpick I think. I can currently use kirby and lucario but they don't cover falco's weaknesses and I hardly ever find need for them.

This is not in order to give me an advantage (not to say I'm a scrub; it's just that if I counterpick for an advantage, my opponent tends to follow suit, and I end up in a situation where we have alternate advantages.. I'm happier when every fight is fair) but just to even out matches such as pikachu, IC, and possibly kirby and marth. I was thinking using ICs, is this a bad idea? They don't have much info on MUs on their board but apparently their CG works well on kirby, marth and pikagay. Is a second character even necessary? (given that I'm
human/
not Larry.)

Omni

BRoomer
ok fine i'll stay with yellow.

1.) Is there a method to force the overb "flinch" where Falco gets interrupted by the ledge? I've done it once where I'll go into a free fall reset motion. I've also done it where you go straight into a neutral standing position on stage.

2.) Is it possible to do reversal or wavebounce reflectors?

3.) Which has the fastest start-up between:
- Up-tilt and jab
- B-air and d-air
- Up-smash and d-smash

4.) Can Falco instant ledge cancel the moving platform on Smashville using his double jump rather then his initial jump?

5.) What stages do I ban against Wario, Snake, and Olimar? What stages do I keep?

more questions on the way

Anxiety

Smash Apprentice
ok fine i'll stay with yellow.

1.) Is there a method to force the overb "flinch" where Falco gets interrupted by the ledge? I've done it once where I'll go into a free fall reset motion. I've also done it where you go straight into a neutral standing position on stage.
I beleive they called it Phantasm Phakeout..might be in the guide.

2.) Is it possible to do reversal or wavebounce reflectors?
Well you can do diagnal downb in whatever direction you want. And if your in the air you can control your momentum while using reflector.

3.) Which has the fastest start-up between:
- Up-tilt and jab Jab (2 frame vs 4)
- B-air and d-air Bair (4 frame vs 5) -i beleive
- Up-smash and d-smash Not sure on this one.

4.) Can Falco instant ledge cancel the moving platform on Smashville using his double jump rather then his initial jump?
Not sure what you mean by ledge cancel. If you mean platform cancel, then yes.

5.) What stages do I ban against Wario, Snake, and Olimar? What stages do I keep?
Ban Brinstar, keep FD, BF..

more questions on the way
Answers in red.
I play blue falco..pretty sure atomsk plays orange :)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
1. its pixel perfect, its a "Sweetspot" on the ledge

2. no

3. jab 2 frames, utilt 4
check frame data lol
usmash 9 frames, dsmash 8 (not sure)

4. instant ledge cancel?

5. wario brinstar
snake halberd
olimar dunno lol

Omni

BRoomer
ah i meant platform cancel. i can do it on my initial jump but i cant double jump platform cancel with d-air at all.

ill check out the phantasm phakeout

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
@Omni jab, bair, and dsmash are the faster moves by about 1 or 2 frames.

I don't think you can wavebounce reflector. You might be able to, but I've never seen it done.

Ban Brinstar if you're unsure on what to ban since it's Falco's worst stage, although vs Wario it's not too bad since you get some guaranteed grab air releases and he has trouble chain grabbing. If you're not going to ban Brinstar then ban PS1 vs. Olimar, RC or big vs. Wario, and for Snake I guess Halberd.

pulse131

Smash Ace
ive always been blue falco.
when i play snakes i ditch halberd. against warios i used to ban brinstar but, no more brinstar here, so i just kinda pick lylat cuz i dont like goin there. oli i dont think has that many or any great stages that dont also hurt him just as much. like frigate, you may think he isnt that great there cuz theres no edge on the right most the time, which there isnt and thats good, but the way the stage is setup just seems to work very well with olimar. that and he naturally gets more purple and white pikmin there.
idk, against him you just kinda gotta go with your gut.

Choice

Smash Champion
@Omni jab, bair, and dsmash are the faster moves by about 1 or 2 frames.

I don't think you can wavebounce reflector. You might be able to, but I've never seen it done.

Ban Brinstar if you're unsure . . . then ban PS1 vs. Olimar, RC or big vs. Wario, and for Snake I guess Halberd.
why would you ever ban ps1?

also whats big? big blue? =p
and you cant wavebounce shine for any spacey.

clowsui

Smash Legend
i would ban delfino vs olimar

his pluck rates on that stage are stupidly good, he lives forever and he camps better than you on that stage

Choice

Smash Champion
i'm legitimately curious to know why ps1 should be banned against olimar though. i sorta agree with delfino but i really like that stage too =/ his pluck rates are only good wherever theres water i thought. like i mean on the parts of delfino where there are small bits of water, but honestly i am not knowledgeable at all regarding his pluck rates and stuff (or olimar in general).

i thought oli's best stage was sposed to be green greens.

clowsui

Smash Legend
oli's best stage = yoshi's island melee
best mlg stage = green greens (maybe), delfino

delfino pluck rates are good anywhere on the stage lol

Choice

Smash Champion
is there a thread with the pluck rates for olimar somewhere?

also lol @ yoshi's island melee. is he really better on there than bridge of elden, flatzone 2 or big blue?

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
PS1 is a good stage for Olimar because the stage changes give him time to gather better pikmin. LOL I forgot about green greens, yeah that stage is ******** for Olimar ban that ****.

Choice

Smash Champion
that makes a lot of sense. i seriously hate the stage changes sometimes. why cant it just always switch to the windmill?

also thanks for the link clow.
edit: darn i had no idea it was THIS specific as to the %'s. how did anyone figure this out? is it like in the games coding somewhere? well i mean obviously it is, but did they read it through going through the coding?

Choice

Smash Champion
he's really hard to approach when he camps the sides. his grab controls everywhere you land. even if he's not on the sides, the high ceiling allows him to kill really really early and the blocks help make it more difficult to approach him once again.

Knock Falco off the level, and make him dead.
I'm not even kidding.
Edgeguarding Falco is the ONLY way to win the MU.
Time our amazing 1-frame jab to knock Falco out of phntasm.
D-smash him.
Footstool, nd tether the ledge.
Yup.
Also, up-b knocks Falco out of phantasm after the invincible first 1/3 of it.
One of three things just happened here. Either ZSS's tether UpB is invincible in the first 1/3 of the move, falco's phantasm is invinicible for the first 1/3 of the move, or NickRiddle has not idea what he's talking about.

Someone tell me the correct answer so I may quit freaking out that a ZSS main might know more about falco's SideB than I do.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
I have some trouble edge guarding very well. What are the best techniques and strategies to keep people offstage or on the ledge?

Choice

Smash Champion
whenever i'm edge guarding i'll do the following:

when they're on the ledge jab and bair cover most their options so like space i'll space myself as if theres an invisible whoever i'm playing against already on stage at the very edge. it allows me to respond to every ledge option with adequate time and not commit to anything such that the positional advantage is flipped.

when they're off stage i'll shoot lasers if they're far away. if they're real close to the edge trying to grab it with their dj i'll jab or ftilt. maybe bair, maybe dair. nothing too risky unless its a character which can be edge guarded with these bigger moves without increasing risk by much but greatly increasing reward.

Top Bottom