• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the reply. I've been wondering about this for a long time now, but if someone is at 100%+, do they have vunerability before their animation for ledge get up, roll, and attack ends? (for attack, are they vulnerable before the hitbox comes out?)

Also, what about a far away fsmash? Spaced enough to at least sourspot if they get up/attack, but still able hit them if they roll behind. (If they jump, just release it early and prepare for aerial?)

If I am able to hit them, I need to start practicing timing for that stuff. I really feel like my edge guard game is lacking. Plus I seem to fall for every edge guard I ever have to deal with.

Choice

Smash Champion
you gotta look at each character's frame data for that. its not necessarily something universal.

fsmash works on some characters but others (like mk) can just wait and then punish after. fsmash also doesnt cover as many options and you have to commit to it more so than jab, ftilt or bair. grab works well at the edge too if you notice your opponent gets up and then shields to see what you're gonna do.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
the joy it brings to my heart when the falco community posts in the nick of time

<3

other Qs

what's BPG? or something like that

what are falco's bad cp stages ?

how do you fight peach, gaw, dk , (or what's suppose to happen in the MU some sort)

Choice

Smash Champion
BPG = boost pivot grab

falco's bad cp stages are character dependent but generally brinstar is the worst and then rainbow comes second.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Im like... 10-1 in tourney/money match/ladder games with falco.

so yes.

It cant possibly be as bad as you guys are saying.

what's good about Brinstar for Falco
Warning! My opinion, no flaming.

Failco can do well against people on platforms. You can reach the side platforms in a SH or the top one with a FH. The platforms help with recovery as well. You can either land on them, go for the stage or the ledge. It's a lot of area to cover for the opponent to guess at. The ackwardness of the lava can force people to approach you since falco cannot really camp here nearly as well. Lava also set-ups very nicely for kills which failco sort of lacks any proper set-ups. The layout of the bottom most level is great for tech chasing. CG -> spike on stage is great for this.

Apart from this, I cannot really think or see much else being good for failco on this stage. There are always people who are better at this stage than failco.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Earlier killing and less being gimped are the main positive points I can see about brinstar really, but then again every other character is going to kill us earlier too >_> Plus I find it harder to land hits on brinstar just because of its layout. I don't feel comfortable playing on the stage compared to rainbow cruise (mainly due to lack of experience) but I can see potential for it to not be falco's worst stage at least.

Time to start playing on it more :p

Choice

Smash Champion
i personally think that the issue with brinstar is that it forces falco out of his typical amazing ground game. however with what da kid told me, maybe this stage suits falco as long as he plays differently. i dunno, i still want to see some vids of it, if possible.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ill see what I can do, as I have a tourney this weekend.

although I cant promise anything more than like one vid since Ill have to play on somebody elses wii (mine isnt hacked) and about half of my matches or more are going to be with sonic still.

Ill see what I can do.

Zephyros

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm a new falco main and I'm working on perfecting some of his ATs. I'm having trouble landing a dair after a dthrow chain grab. I'm not sure if i'm just spacing or my timing is wrong. Should I take them all the way to the edge (so that their character is hanging over on the last grab) or stop a little short of the ledge? Do i need to sh and tilt foward a little or stay in position? Should I drop off the stage completely and then attempt dair instead?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Brinstar is not a stage that many ppl practice on because of how different it is, so someone who plays it alot and use it as a trumpcard will have an advantage on it against the average tourney player assuming a 50-50 matchup on a neutral. That being said Brinstar do change matchups alot. Falco is some1 who does okay on it because of his good airgame and phantasm, but he'll be disadvantaged against ppl with better air game and advantaged against thouse with worse ones.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm a new falco main and I'm working on perfecting some of his ATs. I'm having trouble landing a dair after a dthrow chain grab. I'm not sure if i'm just spacing or my timing is wrong. Should I take them all the way to the edge (so that their character is hanging over on the last grab) or stop a little short of the ledge? Do i need to sh and tilt foward a little or stay in position? Should I drop off the stage completely and then attempt dair instead?
You should probably leave a little space from the edge until you get the hang of it. Even then, you probably want enough space to move a little. After the dthrow, just dash forward like you would grab again but then sh dair. If you can CG, you can easily master this in like 2 minutes of practice.

Also, I've noticed that dropping off the ledge before jumping for a spike doesn't work a lot on real players. Computers just come in at a stupid angle that makes them easy to spike. I've think of that drop off>DJ>spike as the "computer spike." I actually laugh if I do that to someone in a real match now

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
1.) What attacks does a silent laser (on hit) combo into?

2.) Can you BDACUS in the opposite direction Falco is facing? (for example, standing on the left side of stage, roll to the right [now facing left], then BDACUS towards the right)

3.) Why is it harder for me to platform cancel [Smashville] with my double jump rather then my initial jump?

4.) Anyone have any tips or setups for forcing the phakeout?

5.) During an IAP, does pressing B at the right time for the longest length one reduce the amount of lag from the IAP? Or is it the same?

6.) What is the best response for Falco when he knows that a Diddy is about to overb -> facehump on stage? I have a hard time dealing with that move at certain distances.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer

2.) Can you BDACUS in the opposite direction Falco is facing? (for example, standing on the left side of stage, roll to the right [now facing left], then BDACUS towards the right)

3.) Why is it harder for me to platform cancel [Smashville] with my double jump rather then my initial jump?

5.) During an IAP, does pressing B at the right time for the longest length one reduce the amount of lag from the IAP? Or is it the same?

6.) What is the best response for Falco when he knows that a Diddy is about to overb -> facehump on stage? I have a hard time dealing with that move at certain distances.
i think i figured out some of these answers. someone let me know for sure.

1.) Silent laser at the closest range and on hit combos into: jab, f-tilt, and d-smash. I don't think it combos into anything else (except grab?)

2.) You can't BDACUS the opposite way. I've tried BDACUS'ing the opposite way with sidestep, but when you buffer dash attack (using the up+cstick motion) only a turn around up-smash comes out. For some reason, BDACUS'ing only buffers a dash attack with up+cstick when facing the same direction. Probably has something to do with the actual turn around motion having 1 or 2 active frames from a neutral stance.

@BlackKnight: The only guaranteed combo Falco has out of a single jab is his second jab. Jab pinwheel isn't a combo according to practice mode, but it seems to work anyway in real matches. Also, double jab to grab is a weird pseudo combo. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if a person attempts to jump and Falco jabs them on their way up (bringing the back down) it's a guaranteed grab.

Silent Lasers at best has a +3 frame advantage. So really, only jab works. Anything else falco has hits earliest on frame 4 or later.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
jab combos into grab

and you can follow up jab with just about every move in his moveset, if you catch your opponent reachin.

and about the diddy side b thing, try nair and f smash.
oh and jab, i always just jab when im unsure what to do.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
Anyone ever notice how lasers shake the screen if you hit some characters? I know off the top of my head that mario and samus do that.

Choice

Smash Champion

2) You cant or at least you cant using the same inputs because the buffered dash turns into a pivot instead. Same goes for if you try to buffer a dash attack in the opposite direction with c-stick down. You'll do a pivot dsmash instead.

3) There shouldnt be any reason for that to my knowledge. Prolly just something to do with yourself being accustomed to the timing for the full hop.

4) the phakeout? i'm guessing thats the phantasm equivalent of wolf's lightstep or whatever. aim slightly above the edge. just mess around with ledge drop -> dj -> sideb. not like all fast or anything but like wait til your about a dj's length down from the ledge.

5) Canceling your IAP does reduce lag.

6)Jab always beats diddy flip. You could go with usmash or fsmash if you want a bigger reward though. If they're going for the facehump, anything beats it so its like pick and choose your punish.

hi guys I'm siding falco now with marth as my main.

what guaranteed combos does falco have out of jab?
jab 1 combos into jab 2 like it has been stated before, guaranteed. every other follow up including grab and etc. are all just mix ups.

Anyone ever notice how lasers shake the screen if you hit some characters? I know off the top of my head that mario and samus do that.
Yea i've noticed that. Thats just weird, lol. ZSS does it as well. I think the screen shakes the most with her.

So basically SDI is useless against tornado. Which means using the C-stick is pointless as it counts towards SDI. Tapping the control stick is pointless as well since it counts as SDI then DI. So, the best method to get out of the tornado is to use DI by merely holding the control stick in a constant direction while buffering the next move to come out once you escape. This about sum it up?
Alright, so apprently I got approvel by KID and reflex that what I said isn't BS. If that is the case, what other moves lack hitlag that merely holding a direction with the control stick a better option than SDI? I have absolutely no idea how to work DI apart from the fact that you hold perpendicular to DI. I have had enough success by holding the stick in a direction in multi-hitting attacks and perpendicular DI that I have really ignored the benefits of SDI or other nodes of DI.

Choice

Smash Champion
There are very few moves similar to tornado which cannot be SDI'd (besides the first and last hit). You dont necessarily have to hold perpendicular to anything to DI tornado. Hold towards the middle.

Lasers also cannot be SDI'd. Like during a laser lock you cant change the amount of lasers your hit by.

Choice

Smash Champion
I didnt learn this til recently either, and the guy that taught me that seemed really surprised. I think that just goes to show how US is still learning the ins and outs of the game while japan knows it so intimately. (the guy who taught me speaks with japanese players a whole lot).

dainbramage

Smash Journeyman
Silent Lasers at best has a +3 frame advantage. So really, only jab works. Anything else falco has hits earliest on frame 4 or later.
err, that's +3 advantage on shield, and also assumes that the laser hits on the first frame that it's out.

The actual advantage on hit varies depending on character weight, if they're airborne or not, how far it's traveled before it hits, etc. Which makes it impossible to say something like "anything faster than 7 frames is guaranteed".

Also jab 2 often combos into jab 1, again character dependant. But nothing else is guaranteed.

Choice

Smash Champion
jab grab is not guaranteed for like any character. its just a mix up.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
well it may not be guaranteed based solely on the falco frame data but that kind of stuff doesnt really take into account the abilitys of the other character...

Choice

Smash Champion
yea, you gotta take into consideration the frame data for every other character. i forget the length of the window which they have to react but every character can do something in between the jab and the grab. double jab -> grab leaves them with less frames to react.

Falcobomb

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know if Falco's chain grab combo (and many of his similar combos) are deliberately part of his design or just glitches?

Top Bottom