• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Australian Unity Ruleset: Committee Discussion

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
top 5 from each state?

does SA/QLD have 5 'top' players?

i'm not so sure.

of course perth gets no say, they disappeared a long time ago.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
SA has Apollo, Allen and myself. (plus Nova though he doesn't enter tournaments much)
Also Aces until he moves to the US or something.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
MK ban needs to be unified BECAUSE it's a big issue, Jesmo. Major differences are what we're fighting here because major differences affect the interstate scene negatively by a lot.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
the problem is being a good player doesnt nessacaraly mean you are smart, or can make good decisions that are good for hte community.

actually thats not THE problem, thats one of a very very long list of problems.

is there REALLY a need for unifacation though?
the scene thrived for a long time without it, why do you need it so bad?

and is there anything left to unify? brawls fallen to **** in just about every state and is dying, melee seems to still be going strong, and they get by fine without needing a unify'd list right?

I mean sure unifaction would be nice, but this is just going to boil down to a few idiots argueing with each other, and ignoring what everyone else is saying just so they can call each other dumb and try to inflate their ego (and let me tell you, I know a thing or two about that)

and then after all the fighting has happened, we'll be back at square one.

so really I think the problem is that our community is too conflicted (and full of silly people)

earla

Smash Lord
brawl not dyin in melb. ledge and nicks return and some new fire.

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
EA and Atilla, you both misunderstand me. I totally agree that MK legality should be unified whether banned or not. I was actually refering to Ted saying "Hell, we've even seen something that should have been unified (i.e. banning of MK) been simply ignored by an entire state." I was just meaning to say that it's not surprising that it hasn't been unified yet when a unity ruleset hasn't ever really been completed yet and opinions on the subject are very divided.

Sorry for not making that very clear.

Btmns

Smash Rookie
The reason a MK ban (to my understanding) was brought into the ruleset was more or less due to 'over-centralization'.
So when/if we came around to agreeing on a unity ruleset wouldn't the first order of business be deciding if we have too many MK mains in comparison to everything else?

Second, banning MK is ideally not to stop people complaining about it. It's so that by having more diversity we, the players, actually improve at the game by discovering new ATs or new strategies in MUs.

I obviously haven't been in the scene long enough to have a good insight into this (90% of readers will be like, who the f*** is this guy?).

After all that though, i personally don't mind whether or not MK is banned and i'm all for a unity ruleset.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
@Luke
The difference is unlike Melee, we're faced with the issue of whether to ban a character, whether we should artificially limit an aspect of the game (LGL), and so on.

The smaller stuff like stage selection doesn't really matter imo, at all. We're all going to have fairly similar stage lists and whatnot, and nobody's really going to care if we have to play for 9min with the sound off on the rare occasion we go to WA/SA. But we do need to standardise something like banning MK because that has a huge impact on interstate play.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I agree that, as an inexperienced player, I shouldn't have a vote in such a ruleset. I would still like the opportunity to offer my opinions however.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I don't see the harm in standardising the stage list either, but yea the MK ban is a big thing and he has to be either legal everywhere or banned everywhere.

Attila_

BRoomer
the mk ban is obivously first priority.

although i think things like stages should be sorted out too. big difference between playing the japanese ruleset in one state, and then the USA unity ruleset in another.

unnecessarily different. making everything the same can only be a good thing.

one other thing that i would like to mention is that this ruleset would not be permanent. it would be regulated and changed according to the needs of the community.

Btmns

Smash Rookie
i don't understand how you can make the MK ban the "first priority".

obviously there's the MK ban on 1 hand and stage limitation on the other, they both need to be weighed together (MK ban vs. RC and Brinstar ban)

the LGL.. well that's a whole new ballgame

EDIT: not to say you don't understand that attila, just suggesting people get the idea of "balance" stuck into their skulls

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Yea MK's legality needs to be decided before anything else.
Though RC and Brinstar will probably get banned anyway.

Btmns

Smash Rookie
i'm not aggressive enough for this topic.. i'll leave it to the diehards!

let me know how this pans out ^_^

earla

Smash Lord
no stage gimmicks = emphasis is on raw player skills.

japan unanimously agree that mk is not a problem. they won apex even without several of their top players present.

why haven't we even trial'd their ruleset?

Mozza

Smash Cadet
MK's legality needs to be unified because it will effect the performance of OOS players (which is what you will be at the end of the week) from states where MK is banned in states where he is not, Batmans.

earla

Smash Lord
some people don't believe mk is too good for the game with a controlled ruleset.

interestingly, the best players in the world agree.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
look, we will never have a game that has only one legal stage and one legal character.

they say that a skilled man makes his own luck, and I am inclined to agree.

or we can argue like babies about every tiny little thing that goes wrong, instead of learning the very important skill of adapting, which is a big part of this game whether you like it or not.

earla

Smash Lord
yes. adapting to players first. not stages.

most australia lacking fundamentals.

SethT

Smash Ace
SA has Apollo, Allen and myself. (plus Nova though he doesn't enter tournaments much)
Also Aces until he moves to the US or something.
/flex got the shout out. Won't be moving until I get some more mulah to travel but money has been shifted away for flights (y)

no stage gimmicks = emphasis is on raw player skills.

japan unanimously agree that mk is not a problem. they won apex even without several of their top players present.

why haven't we even trial'd their ruleset?
I agree with Earl, a trial would be an excellent idea and the development of raw skill throughout the country is exactly what we need.

Also, more on topic, I think an Australian Unity Ruleset is a good idea. As a community we haven't really been able to come together and agree on certain important decisions and if this works, it'll pretty much allow us to do so. A state should elect 3 - 5 people to represent and debate in the AUR. Each topic gets decided within the state by the representatives (odd numbers for voting). The result for that state is either yes or no and gets tallied with the other states to come to a final decision.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
the addition or removal of certain stages and/or metaknight is not going to magically make us better players.

and adapting means being able to... well adapt, to any given circumstances, ANY, not, oh yeah I can adapt, if its only this and this and this that I have to adapt to.
you know?

SethT

Smash Ace
Didn't ever say that 'ban a few stages, a character here and suddenly the country becomes better overnight'. I'm just going off evidence, the Japanese were better players then the Americans so doesn't it make sense to copy a ruleset more tilted towards the better players to advance our own skills? And by copy I don't mean copied exactly, that would be the purpose of the AUR if it was ever implemented.

Why adapt to stage changes when you have the option right from the start not to? I'd rather focus on having to read my opponent and 'adapt' to the situation to what he/she is throwing at me rather then worry about some ****ing claw hitting me off the edge on halberd (Olimar zzzzzzz) as just one example.

Attila_

BRoomer
why can't people read the op before posting?

i want committee discussion, not rule discussion.

opinions don't matter if we don't have a group to choose the rules themselves.

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
Well, I think this would be very interesting so I'll put my hand up. No-one outside of QLD will probably listen to me though. Actually, no-one is QLD will either :p

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
I doubt AD3PT &/or Jaice would want to do it. They are both quitting Smash after SummerSmash.

I think you'd be better off with Kaion and I since he'll be our new TO. Possibly Cal if he's interested.

earla

Smash Lord
there will naturally be anti mk bias with the majorty of the URC not maining mk. just like the american URC.

do you guys honestly think america will ban mk now? japan expressed dis-interest in competiting with them again with mk banned. the american's strike me as being much too prideful to ever let that go.

after watching all of apex, my thoughts on the issue were re-confirmed. i'm not interested in arguing over this anymore. it's clear where my vote is.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Committee discussion and not "opinion" discussion guys.
I guess the same thing happened in the MK thread... but w/e

A SPECIAL INVISIBLE LINE EXISTS SOMEWHERE AROUND HERE.

-

I personally don't really care for unification. Melbourne don't travel unless people pay them too, QLD like doing their own thing, SA like doing their own thing, and NSW does something, not sure what, but something. And if that something involved me, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.

Top Bottom