• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Australian Unity Ruleset: Committee Discussion

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
so everyone is perfectly happy with the status quo then?

i don't think so.

i think mk should be banned in doubles. i think delphino should be banned. i think the timer should be 10 minutes.

etc etc.

and i'm sure i'm not the only one.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace

i don't think so.

i think mk should be banned in doubles. i think delphino should be banned. i think the timer should be 10 minutes.

etc etc.

Yes true true, although I think the problem mainly pops up with the MK ban for singles.

TidusAni

Smash Apprentice
i like dekars "ruleset", plus i wanna play mk.

whats gonna happen in majors though? whoever's state it is goes by their rules?

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Well as Apollo mentioned, having MK legal here in Melbourne was one of the reasons he isn't coming to DGH. On the other hand, the beautiful man RedX wouldn't play Brawl if he couldn't choose MK...as goes with a couple of newcomers who main MK and then find out they can't choose him at their first tournament.

I really like what Dekar said, but I see where Attila is coming from. I'll be happy to be in this committee thing if it goes through.

Attila_

BRoomer
Yes true true, although I think the problem mainly pops up with the MK ban for singles.
and yet there are also other issues, like mk's doubles legality, that need to be discussed.

so far none of these issues have been discussed as a collective.

5 min timer
2 stocks
Current stage list
MK legal across the board

Come at me attila
DO YOU EVEN LIFT?

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
tbh not coming to a tournament because you are too frustrated and can't learn to deal with MKs tricks is a not very competitive attitude, I bet he would have that opinion on any character that has tricks he can't deal with. Australia doesn't have the American excuse of planking and too many MKs so his only excuse is a poor competitive attitude. I thought this was a competitive game?? I sure as hell do play it competitively. Without a competitive mindset I don't think I would enjoy this game even half as much.

Attila_

BRoomer
hang on.

nothing apollo does will make the mu in his favour. let's not pretend that everyone can deal with mk. cause they cannot.

apollo is legit.

now back on topic.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
Sorry for derailing topic but MK is not the only char Zerosuit can not deal with right??? So why target MK? For personal gain and to try make his character better. He should just deal with MK the way he deals with other bad MUs, deal with it or get a new character. Simple strategy really.

EDIT: Nvm I'm distracting the thread. Sorry for that, carry on xD.

Splice

Smash Hero
Agree with gary.

I believe that is a fault in the person not in the ruleset.
If Apollo wants to forsake a nice trip up to melbourne with fellow SA smashers and skip catching up with people from Melbourne, that's his burden.

This is derailing the thread? Well my apologies; You can go back to whatever we were talking about before, pretty sure it was the bit where everyone agreed with Dekar. Happy to continue that.

SethT

Smash Ace
I doubt South Australia would be on board if MK was legal, considering they've pretty much already banhammered him and they like it that way.
There was some talk of bringing him back if we got rid of a few stages. We banned him initially because To allow the development of some of the newcomers into the scene/Grim was being gay

The scenes grown enough to be able to counter Grims 'being a super gay jew' and at least I've (among with others I've talked to in the scene) come to the opinion that MK isn't strong enough in aus to warrant a ban.

SA reps should be either Apollo/Shaun (if he wants to, doubt it) as TO and Grim/Ghost as reps. Despite having some weird opinions on certain things, I don't think they'd push there own ideas > what the general scene thinks. Apollo or Shaun can tell them to stfu anyway.

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman

i don't think so.

etc etc.

I love this ruleset lol

Anyway, personally I think having every state use the same ruleset is a major tough ask but why can't we try? We can debate and compromise and see if we can get something to work. If we can't, we lose nothing.

Unity is a good thing in general and I don't see what the harm is in trying to do something that can only be good for the scene if successful.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I agree with Jesmo.

A lot of the arguments against this seem to involve the fact that people would not adopt said ruleset. I don't think this is a reason that this should not go ahead. I think we should come up with a unity ruleset, and then worry about the logistics of implementing it. At worst, we end up with a ruleset to use at interstate majors. At best, we end up with a nationwide ruleset that everyone can agree on.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
As Aces said SA would probably still be on board for this if MK is legal.
My opinions aren't that weird anyway (besides wanting Halberd banned i guess? idk) so yea...

Also what Invisi said, there's no harm in at least trying to implement a unity ruleset.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
the problem is being a good player doesnt nessacaraly mean you are smart, or can make good decisions that are good for hte community.

actually thats not THE problem, thats one of a very very long list of problems.

is there REALLY a need for unifacation though?
the scene thrived for a long time without it, why do you need it so bad?

and is there anything left to unify? brawls fallen to **** in just about every state and is dying, melee seems to still be going strong, and they get by fine without needing a unify'd list right?

I mean sure unifaction would be nice, but this is just going to boil down to a few idiots argueing with each other, and ignoring what everyone else is saying just so they can call each other dumb and try to inflate their ego (and let me tell you, I know a thing or two about that)

and then after all the fighting has happened, we'll be back at square one.

so really I think the problem is that our community is too conflicted (and full of silly people)
perhaps the way to go is letting each state decide their own rules and keeping their states happy, and focusing on running quality tournaments and expanding their respective scenes
players may be deterred from traveling to interstate tournaments, but that is their loss. part of playing in another region is the experience of playing by that region's rules. in 07 when we went to adelaide we discovered that *shock!* battlefield was banned! this tournament was a great experience for all melbourners involved, we remembered the players and the matches and the skill of their scene, not the absence of battlefield.

however even if players still don't travel to interstate 'majors', this is fine. remember when we only had 1, perhaps 2 'majors' per year? perhaps it's time to go back to when the only true 'major' of the year was in melbourne, towards the end of the year. the fact that this was such a rarity made it all the more special and all the more likely that all top players from around the country were to attend. it meant there wouldn't be such flops as the time mango was supposedly visiting qld before coming down to melbourne, then that plan went haywire and qld attendance at bam was dismal. a 'major' for a state shouldn't be primarily about celebrating what we have, some great aus talent, but using it as a launching pad for growing the local scene.

the only thing we'd lose by not conforming to 1 ruleset would be... a few attendees at a few interstate tournaments? australia's skill level not rising as quick as could? well that's up for debate, but it doesn't matter anyway. melbourne looks like it would have mk unbanned and a fairly strict stagelist anyway, meaning that one special major each year wouldn't be spoiled for some by denying them their main or having them get gayed by frigate.

yes
just seems like a waste of time, since in the end states will ignore the 'aus unity ruleset' and choose what they think is the most logical decision. vic seems to think banning mk is a bad idea. sa have already banned mk, and probably think it would be a bad idea to now go ahead and unban him. if the scene within in a state is happy with the way things are, why should a TO upset them by implementing this unity ruleset with the explanation that they were outvoted by the rest of the country?
they won't.
All good posts.

To weigh in, democratically deciding what is best for the scene is good. In democracy however, the people vote for the people who they decide know better than themselves what is best for them and their country.

I think the opinion of everyone from inexperienced newbies to the top level players is important to heed and not discard. It's downright disrespectful not to. They must be taken into consideration, otherwise you get a situation like the URC, which although I respect since they've just gone ahead and done something where others feared to tread, seems to have been assembled in the wrong kind of way.

The pre-requisite of being a major and influential TO was unwise to begin with in retrospect. It's about the players, not the people who seem to have an opinion just because they like the game enough to want to run tournaments for it.

However, I also think smashers are lazy and smug enough that they believe they can also tell TOs to run tournaments their way to the exclusion of every other. TOs deserve to do things however the heck they want, but the good ones heed the responsibility the comes with it, and likely heed the fact that a unified ruleset sounds like a good idea. Which brings us full circle as to why the URC was formed as it did.

TOs hold the power because nobody else can be bothered to/has the balls to run tournaments that challenge the status quo. I sure as hell can't, especially because I myself am indebted to AD3PT and Kaion for their turns at the reins in QLD and I can at the very least let them call the shots in the tournaments they run.

So, whilst we are striving towards an 'ideal' ruleset, I'd say that there are a lot more dynamics to consider past the actual rules themselves.

I am happy to moderate/weigh in on whatever, and I've always had strong opinions on conventional and non-conventional rulesets (although, usually my posts have been in the General Brawl sections and not here, because I cbf arguing here).

My personal opinion is either:

MK banned + No LGL or
MK Legal with 3 stages + 10 minutes or
MK Legal, ban stages like Brinstar/Delfino/Rainbow Cruise and no prize money EDIT: Not sure about LGL here. Leaning no.

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
Can I ask one serious, completely non-troll question?

Why are we actually banning MK here? Do we think he is overused? Overly dominant? Or do we just want to follow America? Or is it because about half (maybe more maybe less I don't really know) just want him banned because he's broken.

Anyway, intelligent post Vyse. Nice to have your input.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I understand that I would probably not have a vote in deciding the ruleset, but as Vyse alluded to, I would be quite annoyed if I was completely shut off from the process. The discussion should be open to all, even if voting is not.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
Any of those opinions from Vyse would significantly demotivate me to play Brawl competitively.

No MK + No LGL Means dealing with crazy planking by Pit, GaW and other plankable chars without the MK or LGL to stop that craziness which forces me to use someone like Snake as most other characters are very weak against that strategy when used correctly. This leads to over centralisation (in Melb anyway) with a strategy that no one wants to play against or watch.

3 Stages mean no diversity and the stage cp strategies become pretty much obsolete.

No prize money means less reason to actually do well in tourney and less "play to win" attitude which is what makes competitive gaming so fun to begin with.

Just saying.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Can I ask one serious, completely non-troll question?

Why are we actually banning MK here? Do we think he is overused? Overly dominant? Or do we just want to follow America? Or is it because about half (maybe more maybe less I don't really know) just want him banned because he's broken.

Anyway, intelligent post Vyse. Nice to have your input.
All the common explanations plus personal experience and frustration.

My personal opinion as far as QLD goes, is that the majority of the 'good' players in QLD have a combination of:

a) A desire to ban MK, or an acceptance of pro-ban stances, with the legality of the character being less important than the need for unity amongst the community
b) Are people who actually run tournaments, so their opinion actually has an effect on any decision making

Any of those opinions from Vyse would significantly demotivate me to play Brawl competitively.

No MK + No LGL Means dealing with crazy planking by Pit, GaW and other plankable chars without the MK or LGL to stop that craziness which forces me to use someone like Snake as most other characters are very weak against that strategy when used correctly. This leads to over centralisation (in Melb anyway) with a strategy that no one wants to play against or watch.

3 Stages mean no diversity and the stage cp strategies become pretty much obsolete.

No prize money means less reason to actually do well in tourney and less "play to win" attitude which is what makes competitive gaming so fun to begin with.

Just saying.
As I said, it's just personal opinion. Very much influenced by Japan's performance in America. Japan plays the game on 3 stages with no prize money and they obliterated singles at Apex. Their perception of 'play to win' attitude is so strong that they don't need money. But I am a fan of both approaches to the philosophy.

One day I will be able to sit idly by like Luke-dono.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm going to agree with Dekar.

The LGL has to stay though. No LGL is worse than MK.

Apollo is amazing.

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
I agree with a 3 stage list for starters. Get rid of RC and Brinstar and have whatever CP's you want but use a 3 stage list for starters.

No LGL limit simply doesn't work anymore. It can't be done unless there is no prize money (maybe not even then) Pit, Kirby G&W, ROB and DK to name a few, all make the game silly without an LGL. Metaknight or no Metaknight, I strongly believe we need one an LGL.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I don't think a LGL is required without MK but meh

Kirby's planking is terrible >.>, the only two that you could argue to be a problem are G&W and DK, though only against specific characters with DK.

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
Ghostbone, have you EVER played a Pit with no LGL? Seriously, try it sometime. Not fun.

I beat ZXV's Marth, Jaice's Olimar and SD's Diddy with Pit. FYI, they are all vastly better players then me.

Ted is right though but I don't see what we can really discuss about the comittee. I don't really see the harm in knowing where everyone is at but we should keep it out until we at least have some decent plans for a AUR.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
@Vyse: Yeah I guess your second opinion with 3 stages wouldn't be too bad but I would still feel like part of the game is missing. I mean I don't even CP people to non neutrals as MK normally but I would miss being CPed to them.

@Ghostbone: Pit and even Rob planking is quite hard to deal with when done correctly as most characters too.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think the way we've approached rulesets in the past has always been the best. Just do whatever the state thinks is best. Generally TOs make decisions in consultation with the state's best players, and everyone is happy.

For majors, we poll people to get a feel for the general consensus, and make rulesets based on that. The only danger is that people may forgo partiality in favour of giving themself a boost, but a responsible TO will be able to make the right decision most of the time.

Either way, I like 3 People Per State approach. Each state needs to nominate and decide on who they want on their panel with a preference towards it being 1 TO and the top 2 players (moving down the list if the TO is also a top 2 player, or if a player flat out doesn't want to participate).

For Queensland, I'd nominate Matt, Jesmo and Jaice or Kaion.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
committee (if it ever happens lol) should create several potential rule sets

community should vote as a whole on preferred set

even though its guaranteed some to's will disregard the eventual rule set and choose ther own, which if course ther is nothing wrong with.

as a random thought, the japanese ruleset is highly underrated. While having a limited stage list may disregard "counter picking strategies" or whatever. What the sets really come down too is raw skill vs skill in X v X matchup on a limited gimmicks/mostly even stage.

For years (longer than brawl has been out) melee had the 6 neutrals (yoshis, fod, ps, bf, fd, dl64) and the cp's (mute, brinstar, corneria, rc, kj64, floats). This created a huge unevenness in sets that simply came down too X character has no chance of beating X on X stage aka Jiggs will **** everyone on mute/kj64 and shiek on brinstar/falco on rc etc. Slowly these stages wer dropped and not without a heap of debate.

Now with 5 neutrals 1 cp and 2 bans, its comes down to mostly a skill v skill battle with very little stage advantage in any cp.

As for the whole MK is gay and blah blah 7-3 matchup etc. Once upon a time sheik was considered the god of smash. It took 4 years before she was overthrown by Fox and Falco, then shortly after Jiggs who sat around 10th for 7 years and even tied for 1st with Fox and Falco.

Marth v Sheik for a long time has been in sheiks favour and still is. Its a 7-3 to sheik on the matchup chart. Yet in recent years marth has won more then sheik has in the matchup at tournies.

Jiggs is godlike, she has pretty much no bad matchups. Armada's Young Link has beaten the best jiggs in the world 3 times now despite being half way down the tier list.

A matchup is never un-winnable nor is a character unbeatable. You just suck and can't see why.

cbf going into depth for you brawl**** >_>

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
^ You have a point about MK. I agree, and for the record I am fundamentally anti-ban. However, I am accepting of the idea that he will be banned, because there are reasons to ban a character other than simply how much better they are than every other character. Every community has its needs.

One of the main other reasons is to promote character diversity. Take a look at the top 48 (yes, 48) of Apex 2012 and tell me MK doesn't dominate character usage. It's not as bad in Australia in terms of number of actual MK mains, but every single top Aussie player I can think of has a respectable pocket-MK. As an example, in American Super Turbo, (I believe) Old Sagat is soft-banned for this reason.

In any case, I'm more worried about the LGL. Jesmo is right, it should be in place regardless of the MK situation imo.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
"It's not as bad in Australia in terms of number of actual MK mains, but every single top Aussie player I can think of has a respectable pocket-MK."

Better players can always pick up a character and play them at a decent level because they understand how the game works and don't rely on ******** tactics to win.. If you think you can do better with X character in X matchup, you pick that character. Same thing happens in melee, pocket sheiks are brought out against falcons, marth against spacies etc.

btw ther wer the same amount of fox's in the top 48 in melee as mk's in brawl.. brawl looks to have more diversity than melee atm.

from an observers perspective, I wouldn't watch a brawl match without a mk in it.. he makes it entertaining. watching diddy run away throwing bananas or snake laying nades for 10 minutes is not exactly amazing to watch or play against..

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
Well, I think we should talk about the size of the comittee. 12+ sounds like way too much to me. It's hard enough to get anything settled with four people who disagree let alone 12.

I just see us having a lot of trouble determining a ruleset that all these people are even mildly happy with and/or willing to try.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
atyeo post:

zac's pretty much on the money, all this argueing is getting no where, instead of banning mk I propose we ban being **** and stupid.

also lol ledge 'if you cant deal with mk, dont invent a rule to remove him, just get better and win, oh also I cant deal with planking, so lets put in a rule to remove it'

Forgive me for going all elitist of my own, but the biggest problem with a committee and what not, is that the vast majority of this scene are idiots.
and what happens when you put idiots in charge of things?
hate on me all you like, but dont be idiots and then these problems will be less of a problem.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Zac:

I have to say you are in the minority here my friend, most of us would be happier to not see MK in games.

But anyway, point taken. I don't really agree it's that straightforward in this case (picking counters vs only ever picking mk as the counter), but to be honest I just don't care enough about the outcome of the MK issue to bother arguing it too much, so I guess I'll just drop it. In terms of straight logic you're right anyway lol.

Now, LGL. That's something worth arguing. /subtlety

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
atyeo post:
also lol ledge 'if you cant deal with mk, dont invent a rule to remove him, just get better and win, oh also I cant deal with planking, so lets put in a rule to remove it'
Well obviously planking will be a bigger problem than it is now (In Melb anyway). I don't have a problem with the strategy of planking. If MK is banned I'll main Snake and DDD which both can deal with planking fine. My point is that it will be overcentralising a strategy more than having MK in the game for the Australian scene. I could be wrong, it's just theory craft.
EDIT: But yeah I worded it badly by including myself in an example which doesn't really affect my choices anyway :S.

Attila_

BRoomer
I hate posting long posts on an iPhone, so I'll keep this short.

- syke is right about a lot of things, especially about writing up several rulesets and then voting as a community. I am also a fan of the Japanese ruleset, although I would still like to change a few things.
- I don't think comparing sheik to mk is completely fair. Mk has been the head of the game since the game came out, has no bad matchups or stages, and has gradually seen his matchups globally improve. The matchups against him are actually getting harder as the metagame stabilizes. Diddy is a good example of a character that rose dramatically (he was mid tier for a year or so) before rising up, but mk still pushed, and continues to push, way past him.
- @ea: myself and Tibor are examples of top players who don't have a pocket mk. Neither of us have ever used mk in a tourney set, and have both one a few nationals each.
- planking could be a problem, and that is enough to restrict it (for mk). Just because no one in your suburb gets murdered, doesn't mean you should legalize killing people.

:phone:

Btmns

Smash Rookie
A few things that spring to mind.

In regards to "SA hates MK and won't legalize him". That's not true, I think we were more or less just happy to play without him. Ghost and Aces touched on this earlier.
So far the general consensus is that SA would like a unity ruleset; with or without MK legal.

If I had to nominate for our representatives I would go with Apollo, Allens and Ghost. (I would say Nova but he doesn't seem so interested in this discussion)

Also, I'm unsure as to whether a LGL is necessary without MK legal. I personally haven't had an experience with planking that I couldn't deal with.. Although that's probably because we don't have any real Pits/G&Ws that do it (Grim excluded)

I like the idea of having the community vote for one of several rulesets which have been predetermined by the committee. Logistically, however, it sounds difficult and it may not get us anywhere. (ie. might be better just left to the committee)

Top Bottom