• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AWYP: Art With Your Power #5 -Winners will be announced 2034-

Geist

Smash Master
Well there's two ways to do it. You can always redraw over your original drawing using the pen tool, but that's both time consuming and is more difficult. I recommend using this different method.

(I use GIMP, so my directions may or may not be the best. I'll try to remember how to do this on PS too.)

So what you do is just scan it in(which you've probably already done), and get rid of all the color information. It's possible to do this if your scanner has the option for black and white scans, if not, just turn it black and white manually. On GIMP that's under color > Desaturate, and photoshop it's under hue/saturation, and then bring saturation down all the way. Don't go to Mode > grayscale, because then you won't be able to paint in color.
After that you can change the white into transparency. In GIMP this is very easy - just go to Color > Color to Alpha, then accept the default. In photoshop there's like a million ways to do this, try Select/Color Range, then with the left eyedropper click the white area. Adjust the fuzziness slider until you get what you want and it should be good.
Now you have a layer that's only linework, so all you have to do is create an empty layer underneath and do color on that one.
I hope you have a tablet, because that would make coloring things a whole lot easier on you. xD

edit: I hope this is what you're looking for... were you asking about general tips on actually coloring the picture?

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
That's what I was asking for, thanks.

And I sadly don't have a tablet cause I don't normally do this kind of work, I just thought it'd look good for this type of drawing.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I can't wait to see it!

Ohhhhh! I love art, and I love seeing ideas put together. It's very inspiring to me as an artist. : )

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Always. I love comparing myself to others, too. See if I can do what they do.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
You got 8 days, don't give up yet!

Not sure how serious the problem is, but I can tell you it's still possible to make quality entries in 2 or 3 days. Hope your compy gets fixed regardless though.

Snuc

Smash Apprentice
My Entry, been working for about a week ever since I saw this, wasn't sure if I could use photoshop but I was reassured that it was acceptable, its where I am most comfortable.

Idk how much I am supposed to write but here goes:

I started with a stock with an ocean and a heart shaped moon, recolored, and added some cutout and blur filters to make it snazzy. I added some smudged clouds and resized my Riku Render to be the bigger of the two as I wanted it as the main focus. Rule of thirds has his body right on 2 of the focal points and Sora is right between the other two. I also blurred the bottom half so that the characters would pop and added 4 c4ds and fractals around the top, middle, and bottom. I chose the color scheme because it reminded me of rivals and I thought it suited both characters nicely. Some smudging, faded text, and a shiny border and I was all done ^_^

WIP1:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/kingdomofthehearts_snucas/wip1.png
WIP2:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/kingdomofthehearts_snucas/wip2.png

^_^ I dont think I have a chance with the real artists but I love to enter these contests anyways x]

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
HUZZAH!

Some work has been shown!

Let this be inspiration for more to come!

Geist

Smash Master
Very nice work Snuc. Love the color scheme. It might do better than you think.
Also you should post in the AE more lol.

Snuc

Smash Apprentice
Very nice work Snuc. Love the color scheme. It might do better than you think.
Also you should post in the AE more lol.
Thank you for the kind words ^_^

I used to post here and basically only here back in the day :3

Neon Ness

Snuc, can you edit your submission post with a small summary of your work process?

You absolutely MUST INCLUDE a description along with your image giving a brief summary of what you did.
Just so there's no confusion.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Question: I might have skipped over it, but are we only allowed to enter one piece?

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
Dang everyone is waiting till the last minute. Well.... I guess I am too... Hope all is going well and we can get lots of people enter.

Nicely done Dimitris, kinda scary on first site, but funny as well. I'm assuming it's referring to DK's dair?

Anjila

Smash Cadet
Hello, I'm fairly new here!

I'll try my hand at this contest. I've got a little something in the works now :D

Neon Ness

Good luck :>

You've got plenty of time till the deadline tomorrow night.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I agree, take your time guys, you've got a whole day to finish your stuff. :)

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
Yea, mine will be submitted later tonight... I don't trust myself to get it in on time if I wait till tomorrow.

How do you guys know when to stop drawing or painting? or whatever you do....

Geist

Smash Master
How do you guys know when to stop drawing or painting? or whatever you do....
That's a skill within itself. It takes a lot of intuition to be able to know when you're overdoing something, or if you haven't done enough yet.
Fortunately it's also a skill that comes naturally by drawing a **** load.

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
My piece is unnamed for fear of saying something offensive D:

WIP 1
WIP 2
WIP 3

This was a doozy to create... First I sketched the outline of the buildings and the circle. Then I scanned several traced copies containing only sections of a certain color and filled and edited them. Original in pencil, traces in outlining pen, and full product is digital media.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Ah this thread is alive again, thought I killed it. :grin:

Cool stuff above. So it has something to do with Japan?

Geist

Smash Master
I'll be busy the rest of today, so I'll just leave this
right
here

[collapse="AWYP Entry"]
Title: Nemesis

Description: For my nemesis, I opted to use nature itself. Humanity, at least for the moment, is powerless against its own surroundings, as recent events have no doubt reminded us. So standing in the way of a massive demon emerging from a funnel cloud stands a lone man (whom has been lovingly dubbed Roger), a symbol representing all of humanity, powerless to accept his fate.
And for those of you who don't buy all that fancy symbolism jargon, the painting also functions as being a badass demon who's about to kill this one dude.

Medium: Digital; pseudo matte painting I guess.

Process:
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)

First, roughly painting over my sketch, I placed down the important areas of color for the cloud demon (1). After fleshing out some of the details on the smoke (2), I went and lined up my references for the cloud cover and began adding features to the demon (3). After color correcting the clouds, I realized that they looked quite out of place, so I added a new layer and painted additions and tweaks to match the aesthetic of the rest of the piece (4). After some design tweaks and cropping the large picture for better composition, I added a silhouette of Roger (5). For my final touches, I changed the composition yet again, shrinking Roger, and placing him lower (aligning him with proper perspective) and added a foreground object to give a greater sense of depth. I added debris and details that are too mundane for me to mention, but I only added to satisfy my own obsessive compulsions.

Time frame, I guess about 5 - 6 hours. Yay digital painting.
[/collapse]

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Impressive as always, Geist.

Wish I could paint digitally nearly as well as you.

Anyway - GOOD NEWS FOLKS! I've gotten the okay from Virg to extend the deadline.

I personally feel a two week extension can be enough. I encourage more folks to submit any work they have!

Don't be shy!

Geist

Smash Master
that's cool, but I'm still not fixing it lol
too lazy, get at me
or don't
either way is cool.

*patiently waits for submissions*

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I would say stuff...but I don't want to say opinions until i need to.

Can't wait to see more submissions~

Top Bottom